Industry Fellowships 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats! I accepted Rutgers this past Friday too! I've been lurking on this thread but I am happy for you. I suppose I will be meeting you soon for the Professional Development Days. Do you know if there are any other invites going out from any more companies?
Thank yo @Bacteriophage83 , @JamesL1585 , @ICaPharmD and @IndustryPharmD ....:love:Hang in there JamesL I hope you hear back by early this week.

@Bacteriophage83 check your personal mailbox on SDN, @IndustryPharmD : Will try to stop by here sure to help as much as I can.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks so much for all of your input. Your "industry 101" thread helped me a lot during the process. I wonder if you did Rutgers as well and if you had any advice for those who will be entering the fellowship world this summer? Can I do anything now to prepare more? I am looking to stay with the company if they have an opening when I am finished so I need to stand out. It's funny but now that I actually have a position, I'm trying to refrain from going insane or having an anxiety attack :uhno: . It seems unreal
Yep, over the years (hard to believe it's been more than seven years already) a good dozen people who I have been in touch with through the thread or PMs have gone on to do a fellowship. Very heartwarming. :)

I think by this point it is safe to say that I did complete my fellowship through Rutgers (by now there have been some six or seven hundred people who have :) ). I don't know if there is really anything you should do to prepare for the fellowship... Well, maybe a few things:

- Stop thinking like a student, start thinking like a productive employee. A student thinks in terms of assignments - this is what I have been told to do, so that's what I will do. That is generally sufficient for a grade, but not for real-life success. As a successful employee, you should think in terms of - what is the ultimate goal of this assignment? What are they really trying to achieve? Is there something that could be done differently/more efficiently? Are they missing something when they ask just for A but not for B?
- Even though you will be the most junior person in the room in terms of experience and probably in terms of age, do not be afraid to voice your opinions - your fresh perspective may be exactly what is needed to move this discussion forward. If you tend to get shy among important and knowledgeable people and don't want to seem stupid next to them - start practicing speaking up now, while you are completing your rotations.
- Start keeping up with the pharmaceutical industry news. At least become very familiar with your future company's pipeline, currently marketed products and recent history - drug approvals, FDA warning letters, news, etc.
- Become familiar with the major FDA regulations - if you understand the drug approval process and requirements on a basic level, it will help you get immersed quickly, no matter your specific role within industry.
- Try to get licensed right away - because if you don't, chances are you never will, and pharmacy licensure is an asset in some fields within industry, is a source of additional income during your fellowship if you work per diem (and a stipend is not that much money with the East Coast rents being what they are!), and a potential life-saver in case of another round of layoffs. It's way easier to take the boards in May/June before the fellowship starts than at any time afterwards.

Don't know if I have any program-specific advice. I think it changed a bit since I was a fellow. Try to get involved in the committees and activities - it will make your fellowship more fun and may provide some valuable learning opportunities. And try to teach if you can get time off from your company - it's fun and a nice flourish on your resume.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the response ICaPharmD! The interview day includes meetings with multiple senior members of the department and a presentation on a topic of my choice. I was thinking of presenting a topic unrelated to the industry, but one that would still show how my skills apply to the position. For example, for a regulatory affairs position, I could talk about the regulatory environment of agriculture or another topic I have interest in. What are y'alls thought on this?

Your topic should be either something you are an expert in, or something the audience actually cares about, or better yet - both of these. Some random topic based solely on what you have looked up online will have only one outcome - they will tune you out on the count of two.

I have some good ideas for candidate presentations, but I am not going to share them, because choice of the topic tells you a lot about the candidate too. :)

I noticed that Rutgers programs require a CV, letter of intent, and rec letters for a complete application. While the Allergan/USC program also requires a transcript, does this mean they are more competitive than Rutgers program?

If anyone has experience with the Allergan program plz share!

Sorry we are seeing this thread too late to help you for 2015.

For anyone viewing this thread for 2016, please visit industrypharmacist.org

2,000 students around the country have registered with IPhO. We have 20 student chapters at various schools, advice and coaching for all students applying for fellowships, and a complete catalog of ALL 270 fellowships available in the US today.

Reactions: 1 user