Industry Fellowships 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did you get your application in a few days after Midyear? I was told I missed an on-site interview opportunity from one company (non-Rutgers) because I did not turn in my application until the Monday after Midyear and they chose who they would bring on-site based on applications that had been completed by Friday the week of Midyear. The official deadline for that program was Jan. 1st.
That explains it for me.. was it UNC, their deadline was Jan 1st too. May be I was late to submit materials.. :( I will wait till the end of next week though!

Members don't see this ad.

@IndustryPharmD The explanation I've generally heard is that because the competition has increased so much, companies are more pressed to make offers to the candidate they really want if they know the candidate is also interviewing with other companies, which kind of leads to a domino effect of other companies being forced to make offers sooner as well. I'm not sure... In my experience, though, I can attest to the fact that this does happen.

I'm actually glad they started interview early though because that cut back on the amount of days I would have to miss from my rotations.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
@IndustryPharmD In my experience, though, I can attest to the fact that this does happen at least somewhat, as I received an offer less than a week after one of my interviews (non-Rutgers).

Is that the first official offer from our group of folks on SDN? If so congrats!!

Members don't see this ad :)
That explains it for me.. was it UNC, their deadline was Jan 1st too. May be I was late to submit materials.. :( I will wait till the end of next week though!

It was not UNC. I am also waiting to hear back from them as well (Drug Development)...though during PPS they said they would be inviting for on-sites immediately before or after Christmas.

Rutgers has started offering fellowships as of Friday. Offers come on Tuesdays and Fridays

did u get an offer? waiting for Tuesday... :scared:
Yes i did even though the company told me I wouldn't hear until next week so it was totally unexpected (especially since I just interviewed on Tuesday). The companies all discuss their top prospects on Tuesdays and Fridays so they are all on the same page and then offers get sent out. My friend also received 2 offers on Friday as well but the large majority should be made this week

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Yes i did even though the company told me I wouldn't hear until next week so it was totally unexpected (especially since I just interviewed on Tuesday). But I'm still waiting to see if my top program will make an offer. The companies all discuss their top prospects on Tuesdays and Fridays so they are all on the same page and then offers get sent out. My friend also received 2 offers on Friday as well but the large majority should be made this week

Congrats!!!! omg now I m more worried as so far I just have Rutgers and don't want to lose it....

Yes i did even though the company told me I wouldn't hear until next week so it was totally unexpected (especially since I just interviewed on Tuesday). But I'm still waiting to see if my top program will make an offer. The companies all discuss their top prospects on Tuesdays and Fridays so they are all on the same page and then offers get sent out. My friend also received 2 offers on Friday as well but the large majority should be made this week
congrats !!!!!!!

congrats !!!!!!!
Thanks !! :) Don't be so worried... as I said, Friday was the first day they could start the offers and it's unlikely that many companies would have made a choice by then. One of my companies told me they still had interviews early this coming week so a lot will happen in the next 2 weeks. Best of luck to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Little late to this thread, but also waiting to hear on a couple Rutgers programs after on-sites. Anyone know how long candidates have to accept/decline an offer and if they are usually sent via email or phone?

Little late to this thread, but also waiting to hear on a couple Rutgers programs after on-sites. Anyone know how long candidates have to accept/decline an offer and if they are usually sent via email or phone?
I think they call @2015ph and they said if u r accepted for one company then 3 days and for multiple offers 5 days..

Anyone heard from Eli Lilly yet?

I have a friend who interviewed there last week and another who got a generic rejection email. Not sure if all of their fellowships are on the same timeline though.

I think they call @2015ph and they said if u r accepted for one company then 3 days and for multiple offers 5 days..
Rutgers gives 5 days if no other company is interested but if there is another company you haven't interviewed with yet or you're a candidate for another company who hasn't decided who they will offer yet, then you get 10 days. All the RU companies have teleconferences on Tuesdays and Fridays to share who they will make offers to and then the emails go out. You will get an email first from RU with an offer, followed by a call from the company (usually). Usually, companies will not send out rejection emails or calls until they have someone actually accept their offer but some don't call at all, especially if they want to keep their runner-ups as an option in case their first choice falls through (which happens every year).

Rutgers gives 5 days if no other company is interested but if there is another company you haven't interviewed with yet or you're a candidate for another company who hasn't decided who they will offer yet, then you get 10 days. All the RU companies have teleconferences on Tuesdays and Fridays to share who they will make offers to and then the emails go out. You will get an email first from RU with an offer, followed by a call from the company (usually). Usually, companies will not send out rejection emails or calls until they have someone actually accept their offer but some don't call at all, especially if they want to keep their runner-ups as an option in case their first choice falls through (which happens every year).
thank u @PhuturePharma15 Do they only call on Tuesday or Friday or it can be any day... the wait is killing me and it was Tuesday today.. Still keeping up the hopes

thank u @PhuturePharma15 Do they only call on Tuesday or Friday or it can be any day... the wait is killing me and it was Tuesday today.. Still keeping up the hopes
The emails only go out on Tuesdays or Fridays... but I guess the company can technically call you at any time but i've heard from past fellows and in my own experience when I got the call on Friday, it was immediately after the email. Again, I think most companies will make their offers this Friday so definitely keep your hopes up!

I just want to thank everyone again for making this a relatively vibrant thread :) We tend to be outnumbered on SDN, so I'm thankful for the participation and support. I've accepted an offer, so this process - well, this portion of it :) - is over for me. I'm wishing you all the best as you wind down and look forward to hearing your great news!

Reactions: 3 users
I just want to thank everyone again for making this a relatively vibrant thread :) We tend to be outnumbered on SDN, so I'm thankful for the participation and support. I've accepted an offer, so this process - well, this portion of it :) - is over for me. I'm wishing you all the best as you wind down and look forward to hearing your great news!
Congratulations @ICaPharmD ....... best of luck for future endeavors.... pray for us!!! :) ... did u accept Rutgers?

Congrats @ICaPharmD! Thanks for the sincerity and you're right, its been an awesome right, do pray for us.

I didn't actually @2015pharmacist. That's one of the reasons I made the comment about Rutgers time period being generous. I meant that in comparison to the turnaround times I had to make for the programs I received offers from. The one I accepted was tied for my first choice with the Rutgers program and is best for me and my personal life anyway. All things work together for good. :)

Last edited:
Did you get your application in a few days after Midyear? I was told I missed an on-site interview opportunity from one company (non-Rutgers) because I did not turn in my application until the Monday after Midyear and they chose who they would bring on-site based on applications that had been completed by Friday the week of Midyear. The official deadline for that program was Jan. 1st.

Are you serious?! This may be an explanation as to why I didn't hear from a company that I was so sure I was getting an onsite for :yawn: . I sent in my app that Monday thinking it was considered early...Yikes!

Hi guys,
Just wondering from a P3, how important are gpa and CV for fellowships? What makes an applicant competitive (On CV) for fellowships?

(I tried to research more about fellowships but there doesn't seem to be much discussion)
Thank you !!

Hi guys,
Just wondering from a P3, how important are gpa and CV for fellowships? What makes an applicant competitive (On CV) for fellowships?

(I tried to research more about fellowships but there doesn't seem to be much discussion)
Thank you !!
if your GPA is decent you can mention in yr CV. I m not sure If your GPA matters as long as it is above 3.3. There is great thread called industry 101 search it. it has all info you need about fellowships. best luck

Nothing yet. Waiting, but definitely not patiently. Yourself? Were you doing Rutgers only?
unfortunately yea because the other one was UNC and St Johns but dint even got onsite with them, looks like I was late to submit my paper work to them.. so only Rutgers for now. I am so anxious!! I wish we know when to expect the answer. kept checking emails but nothing.. :( do you have any other places u applied to and went onsite @JamesL1585 ??

unfortunately yea because the other one was UNC and St Johns but dint even got onsite with them, looks like I was late to submit my paper work to them.. so only Rutgers for now. I am so anxious!! I wish we know when to expect the answer. kept checking emails but nothing.. :( do you have any other places u applied to and went onsite @JamesL1585 ??

I had 2 onsite one, Rutgers, and one non-rutgers. The Rutgers has already contacted me to let me know that they had selected a candidate. There was some "potential" good news out of it though. But I'm sad to say, I believe most Rutgers programs have or will be very soon selecting candidates I think this week at the latest, but most have from my sources.

The other was a non-Rutgers, and I should be finding out early this week coming up. I hope we all get what we've worked so hard for.

Hi guys,

Thank you !!

If you do an extensive Google search, you'll find a good amount of info. Not "a lot" but a good amount. And the thread mentioned above - in addition to some other threads on SDN - will be useful to you.

As for GPA, I had mine on my CV, but I don't think anyone cares unless it's a bad GPA. Then it could negatively affect you.

I had 2 onsite one, Rutgers, and one non-rutgers. The Rutgers has already contacted me to let me know that they had selected a candidate. There was some "potential" good news out of it though. But I'm sad to say, I believe most Rutgers programs have or will be very soon selecting candidates I think this week at the latest, but most have from my sources.

The other was a non-Rutgers, and I should be finding out early this week coming up. I hope we all get what we've worked so hard for.
Did they call you or email you to inform? now I really feel I am out ... :( they didn't call or email me yet though I don't know what to take from it... :( good luck for the other program. Prayers for you.

Did they call you or email you to inform? now I really feel I am out ... :( they didn't call or email me yet though I don't know what to take from it... :( good luck for the other program. Prayers for you.

Thanks again, and same for you. Rutgers is very competitive, and not necessarily polite. Some may not contact you at all. But they emailed me, FYI.

Accepted offers at Rutgers!!! Any news @JamesL1585 ?
Congrats! I accepted Rutgers this past Friday too! I've been lurking on this thread but I am happy for you. I suppose I will be meeting you soon for the Professional Development Days. Do you know if there are any other invites going out from any more companies?

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted offers at Rutgers!!! Any news @JamesL1585 ?

Congrats! I accepted Rutgers this past Friday too! I've been lurking on this thread but I am happy for you. I suppose I will be meeting you soon for the Professional Development Days. Do you know if there are any other invites going out from any more companies?

Man!!! Big congrats to both of you! Honestly, it's starting to seem like everyone who participated on this thread got one! I'm still waiting, not sure what'll happen, but hoping/praying for the best. Anyways congrats!

Man!!! Big congrats to both of you! Honestly, it's starting to seem like everyone who participated on this thread got one! I'm still waiting, not sure what'll happen, but hoping/praying for the best. Anyways congrats!
Hey @JamesL1585 , I have not heard anything yet so don't feel bad! I am kind of at the point where I just really want to hear something regardless of what the outcome is...the suspense is killing me! Has anyone heard if Rutgers' Pfizer has made their selections?

congrats to those accepted! Do you have any advice/tips for those planning to apply next year?

Thanks and good luck to those still waiting

Congratulations to the accepted fellows! :) Hopefully you stay on SDN and contribute tips for future students, so it's not just my perspective they will be relying on.

Reactions: 4 users
congrats to those accepted! Do you have any advice/tips for those planning to apply next year?

Thanks and good luck to those still waiting
As far as preparations, I would say to try and get as many interesting rotations as possible whether it be in industry, CDC, FDA or some sort of public health entity. They love that! Also, I would say to do things that separate you from the rest such as research or a publication if it's not too late. I'm assuming you are a P3 so it would be difficult to gain leadership roles as of now but having that and being actively involved in orgs while also having a job shows you can multitask. Google the STAR method to interviewing and start practicing your skills Now. Read up on how to network in groups which is very helpful if you plan on doing Rutgers. There's a lot more advice but not sure what you want to know specifically...feel free to ask more questions but I hope this helps a little!

Congratulations to the accepted fellows! :) Hopefully you stay on SDN and contribute tips for future students, so it's not just my perspective they will be relying on.
Hi there!

Thanks so much for all of your input. Your "industry 101" thread helped me a lot during the process. I wonder if you did Rutgers as well and if you had any advice for those who will be entering the fellowship world this summer? Can I do anything now to prepare more? I am looking to stay with the company if they have an opening when I am finished so I need to stand out. It's funny but now that I actually have a position, I'm trying to refrain from going insane or having an anxiety attack :uhno: . It seems unreal

Any advice specifically for on-site interviews? How does the day normally go and who do you meet with?

I agree 110% with @Bacteriophage83 's advice. If your school is similar to mine, you've already selected what rotations you want next year. Hopefully some of those will be in interesting fields outside of clinical settings, such as the ones bacteriophage mentioned. I had no direct industry experience but have a great deal of public health experience and the interviewers really latched on to that. Also, when preparing for interview questions, don't only use the "easy" STAR questions to practice. Practice the difficult ones too. Have a list of situations you've experienced that can be used to apply to a multitude of behavioral questions. Those that exhibit multitasking, prioritizing, initiative, working on teams, leading projects, etc. will be good to focus on.

I would also recommend reaching out to current fellows to chat with them about their experiences. Not everyone does this but I did to gain more insight and build relationships early on. This paid off in the end because by the time interviews rolled around, I had a solid network of fellows who were willing to help me even though we had never met before.

Working on your CV early will also be important. If you already have relationships with people in industry, you can request their assistance with editing. Alternatively, you can use some of those connections you make by contacting fellows (if you choose to do so) to help critique and improve your CV.

Any advice specifically for on-site interviews? How does the day normally go and who do you meet with?

Mmm...on-sites are interesting beasts. I honestly didn't know much about what to expect because there's much more info about Midyear/PPS interviews than on-sites. After having completed the interviews, I now understand why. All of my interview experiences were completely different...The most I can tell you is that it's a long day of interviews with various people in the company/department you would be working in. Some may be more laidback. Some may be stuffy or formal. Some may be one-on-one. Some may be panels. They'll fly you out and feed you.

About the only advice that I was given was that the preparation you do for Midyear/PPS will be more than enough to carry you through on-sites. That held true.