Industry Fellowships 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ICaPharmD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Congratulations to everyone who interviewed at Midyear for industry fellowships through Rutgers or PPS!! I hope it was as exciting a process for everyone else as it was for me.

As on-site interview season progresses, feel free to share your successes. (Keep it as general as you like ;-) )

Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations to everyone who interviewed at Midyear for industry fellowships through Rutgers or PPS!! I hope it was as exciting a process for everyone else as it was for me.

As on-site interview season progresses, feel free to share your successes. (Keep it as general as you like ;-) )

Good luck everyone!

I got two on sites scheduled for the first week of January so far. Pretty excited as it's 2 of my top 3. My 1st and 3rd choices. I don't EXPECT anymore, but if I got one more on-site it wouldn't completely surprise me, I just don't think I'd be one of their first choices coming into the interview (underdog candidate). But you know, they say just as you are being interviewed by them, you're also interviewing them. So, *Shrugs*.

Did you do PPS Ica? Or are you a fellow already?

James did they tell you about both interviews at the same time or both companies called saperately?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got two on sites scheduled for the first week of January so far. Pretty excited as it's 2 of my top 3. My 1st and 3rd choices. I don't EXPECT anymore, but if I got one more on-site it wouldn't completely surprise me, I just don't think I'd be one of their first choices coming into the interview (underdog candidate). But you know, they say just as you are being interviewed by them, you're also interviewing them. So, *Shrugs*.

Did you do PPS Ica? Or are you a fellow already?
Congratulations!! Did you get any onsite interviews through Rutgers? I haven't heard anything so I just wanted to see my chances.

Congratulations!! Did you get any onsite interviews through Rutgers? I haven't heard anything so I just wanted to see my chances.
Yes Kenyan2015. The company called. I am not sure though that every company called or some started and others are still working on it. Best of luck to you

James did they tell you about both interviews at the same time or both companies called saperately?
It was two different companies.. one through Rutgers and one Independent. So they called separately. One was a day after Midyear, and one was the Monday following Midyear.

Yes, one was through Rutgers. I think every Rutgers program has their own timeline though.

I got one non-Rutgers earlier this week - notified by phone, then follow-up email

I received 2 today:
1 non-Rutgers notified by email
1 Rutgers notified by phone, then follow-up email

I got one non-Rutgers earlier this week - notified by phone, then follow-up email

I received 2 today:
1 non-Rutgers notified by email
1 Rutgers notified by phone, then follow-up email

Do you have any idea about UNC?? Did anyone got call from UNC?

It was two different companies.. one through Rutgers and one Independent. So they called separately. One was a day after Midyear, and one was the Monday following Midyear.

Yes, one was through Rutgers. I think every Rutgers program has their own timeline though.

Thanks! Good luck on your onsite interviews!

This thread is a small testimony to show how little interest comes into industry. Not because industry is bad (we all know its got awesome perks)... but because it's just not talked about..

On my way to the conference I took a shuttle with two current PGY1 residents from New York... they seemed so jaded and pissed for during a residency. They acted as if it wasn't their own decision, then they mentioned how all their friends in fellowships loved it, and mentioned they should maybe go for that lol. It was an interesting convo.

Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations to everyone who has received onsite interviews!

I know every position has their own timeline, but does anyone know of an absolute when all interview invites go out? For instance, if you don't hear from Rutgers by December 31st, then you probably won't get an invite?

Members don't see this ad :)
@JamesL1585 Very true. It's unfortunate how many people do things that they don't enjoy. If a residency is for you, by all means, go for it. But I've never been the type to subject myself to being miserable just because it's something I'm "supposed to do." But to each his own.

@floranfauna Thank you! I'm not sure if there's a specific date...

Reactions: 1 user

What area where you interested in specifically?

I think most of not all of Rutgers onsite interviews are out. Good luck to the ones who got one!

Same here going after new year.. @JamesL1585 did you get your travel confirmation? how did they contacted you?

I did. Both companies sent me an email. I had to call them to tell them my availability, and then they followed up with an itinerary a day or so later. Actually now that I think of it one isn't fully confirmed. I'll follow up with them on Monday.

Please let us know how everything goes as well 2015.. I'm starting to get nervous

Mine are also all during the first full week after the new year (one is the following Monday).

@2015pharmacist I know this question wasn't directed to me but...I was asked if I had any restrictions regarding travel and they emailed my itineraries to me.

Ditto on the nerves @JamesL1585. I think it's because I had a much better idea of what to expect from Midyear interviews versus what to expect from on-sites.

I did. Both companies sent me an email. I had to call them to tell them my availability, and then they followed up with an itinerary a day or so later. Actually now that I think of it one isn't fully confirmed. I'll follow up with them on Monday.

Please let us know how everything goes as well 2015.. I'm starting to get nervous
Thank you @JamesL1585 .. in my case I had company called me and asked about dates I am available then they said someone will contact me but nothing yet.. I am starting to get nervous.. I don't know what to expect from on site. and so far this is my only onsite...

So it looks like there's 4 of us (whom are transparent) who still has skin in the game. I wish us all luck. How are you guys and gals preparing? One of my interviews has a presentation.. I, anyone else?

Oh, phew lol @2015pharmacist

@JamesL1585 All of my interviews have a presentation. Two have additional presentation-like components as well.

Yikes. 3 different presentations? You get to pick the topic at least? Im picking mine for the one I have to do.

you are presenting for Rutgers?? @JamesL1585 and @ICaPharmD .... I finally got the agenda for the interview day and its just meetings throughout doesn't say presentation anywhere....

Lucky you. If I were you, I'd just email and ask just in case. Also, someone (a fellow told me) it's fair game to ask what the "style" of the interview was, e.g. behavioral, traditional etc. So I did for one of mine and they were pretty specifc. The one interview with no presentation, I'm literally meeting with like 11 people in the company back to back to back to back to back... well you get it.

Yikes. 3 different presentations? You get to pick the topic at least? Im picking mine for the one I have to do.

Lucky you. If I were you, I'd just email and ask just in case. Also, someone (a fellow told me) it's fair game to ask what the "style" of the interview was, e.g. behavioral, traditional etc. So I did for one of mine and they were pretty specifc. The one interview with no presentation, I'm literally meeting with like 11 people in the company back to back to back to back to back... well you get it.
@JamesL1585 Thank you so much.. I will ask them..

2 of the presentations will be the same (I get to choose the topic). One presentation is different - the topic was assigned to me.

@JamesL1585 I wouldn't mind that set-up actually. 11 mini-interviews backtobacktoback?...Oh, just keep talking? Cool. Lol

2 of the presentations will be the same (I get to choose the topic). One presentation is different - the topic was assigned to me.

@JamesL1585 I wouldn't mind that set-up actually. 11 mini-interviews backtobacktoback?...Oh, just keep talking? Cool. Lol
LoL just gotta impress like 7/11 to be safe... lol hahaha

In my experience, fellowships invite candidates sequentially and typically through the end of January, though of course it will depend on the program. It's really, really difficult to find days when you can get everyone you want to interview candidates in the office and available... Structure of the onsite interviews will also depend on the program - what qualities they are looking for, how they typically handle hiring process for employees, etc.

I personally liked to ask candidates to prepare presentations, because they show how they think and how they approach assignments - it's way more important than the limited technical knowledge and skills... but I know others who do not like to include presentations in the agenda simply because it is a logistical nightmare.

You candidates never realize or appreciate the incredible amount of work the company has to put into the interviewing process on their end. :)

Thanks for dropping by @IndustryPharmD. By "sequentially", do you mean in order of preference or simply that candidates generally interview on separate days and, therefore, sequentially?

Also, would you say that the preparation for on-site interviews should be relatively similar to the preparation for Midyear/PPS interviews? I would surmise that knowing the company and products very well will be even more important on-site. Do you have any other insight?

Depends on the program. Naturally, you want to invite your favorite candidates first, but it depends on when candidates submit all the required materials, so if your #3 submits first - they may be invited first. Generally, after Midyear you have your "Standout Star" (one or two), who you ideally want to wait for, your "Can do do the job" people - five or six, sometimes fewer depending on how complicated your position is, and then a bunch of people you wouldn't invite at all. Sometimes upon closer look exact opinions will change. For the "Stars", the competition between programs may be fierce so some programs will make offers to them before they have interviewed all the candidates... some programs will wait until they have interviewed everyone before extending an offer.

As far as preparation for on-site interviews, it would be very similar to Midyear... don't know if I would do anything different. I guess, I would look up a bit more information about the company, maybe look up the names of your interviewers (once you receive the agenda) to see if you have anything in common with them that you might bring up... Be prepared for the unexpected - someone may be running late, unable to meet with you, have a conversation on the phone instead, there may be a replacement interview, your flight might be delayed so you arrive at 2am and your interviews start at 8am...

And one piece of advice - be the best version of yourself you can put forward, but still be yourself. Otherwise, if you are hired and in the long run you turn out to be something entirely different (and no one can keep up an act for a year or two through all kinds of circumstances), it will not make your colleagues happy...

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks so much @IndustryPharmD!

I'm very excited for the week ahead and wish the best for all who have on-sites coming up!

Best of luck everyone. Thanks IndustryPharmD for all of the knowledge share as well. It's been an awesome experience so far for me, I'm hoping all of us are the best brands of ourselves and have favor the entire way through. Amen.

Hi guys!

Good luck to all who are going or have gone on on-sites. Has anyone gotten an on-site for the UNC and the Actavis/Forest fellowship programs?

@hellofellow yes I did!!.. do you have any idea when do they call generally every year? I think UNC said mid January... not sure.

I'm not too sure about either program @2015pharmacist. I know that all applications for the Actavis program have been forwarded to the selection committee already and were sent right around xmas time but as far as when they usual send on-site invites, I am not sure. I believe that by the end of next week, all invites for every fellowship program should be out. This is considering the general timeline that most fellowships like to follow and allow for all interviews to be completed by the end of January. Please let me know if you hear back from either!

I'm not familiar with the timelines of either program, but I wish you both the best! @2015pharmacist @hellofellow

How are everyone's on-sites going? Two down, one to go for me!

Congrats to everyone who got on-site interviews through Rutgers. At PPS I interviewed with 6 companies for essentially the same position and went to 4 company-specific receptions (invited to all 6 but some were conflicting).

I didn't receive an on-site interview invitation from any of those 4 companies, and I'm completely befuddled. Two companies even told me at the end of my final interview what I would need to do to prepare for an on-site interview at the beginning of January. They were really enthusiastic with me, and I felt like I was being courted by them at that point. I have no idea what I did so wrong!!

For those who did get on-site interviews, did you address your letter of intent to one company in particular or focus on why you wanted to do one position at no company in particular? I appreciate any input!! Looks like I'll be taking that retail job for a couple years in the mean time...

Congrats to everyone that had on-site interviews! I had one non-Rutgers last week and was told at the interview we would find out in 1-2 weeks if we were selected. Has anyone heard back from Upsher-Smith about an on-site?

Congrats to everyone who got on-site interviews through Rutgers. At PPS I interviewed with 6 companies for essentially the same position and went to 4 company-specific receptions (invited to all 6 but some were conflicting).

I didn't receive an on-site interview invitation from any of those 4 companies, and I'm completely befuddled. Two companies even told me at the end of my final interview what I would need to do to prepare for an on-site interview at the beginning of January. They were really enthusiastic with me, and I felt like I was being courted by them at that point. I have no idea what I did so wrong!!

For those who did get on-site interviews, did you address your letter of intent to one company in particular or focus on why you wanted to do one position at no company in particular? I appreciate any input!! Looks like I'll be taking that retail job for a couple years in the mean time...

Did you get your application in a few days after Midyear? I was told I missed an on-site interview opportunity from one company (non-Rutgers) because I did not turn in my application until the Monday after Midyear and they chose who they would bring on-site based on applications that had been completed by Friday the week of Midyear. The official deadline for that program was Jan. 1st.

Wow, timelines really got compressed. Back in the day we never even started on scheduling on-sites until everyone was back from the holiday break. There always have been companies that would go for the earliest acceptable candidate to complete the paperwork/interview, but I personally never liked that approach. I would rather get the best of those I can, rather than the first to apply... I mean, we don't do that for those we hire for actual jobs... though they perhaps do, I certainly don't know hiring practices of every pharma company out there... but typically hiring for real jobs is a couple months long process! So why the hurry here, where it makes no sense at all?