I'm so tierd of SCRUB nurses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've had good and bad scrub nurses, but mostly good. One scrub nurse took the time out during a long, boring closure of an abdominal wound to teach me about all the instruments as they were being counted and it has helped me feel like less of an idiot when they talk about these things amongst residents as though it's second nature.

On the other hand, I've also had a scrub nurse tell me that I'm wearing the wrong glove size and that I'm an idiot for thinking that it fits me. And then proceed to refuse to gown me. Thankfully the sweetheart circulator screamed some sense into her and she capitulated.

CST students so far have also been nice people.

Members don't see this ad.

I've got a good scrub nurse story.

So I'm on surgery and my resident and I see a patient in the ED about 12:30 at night. Obvious appendicitis. Attending comes by and we all talk with the patient and it's decided that we will proceed to the OR. So my resident tells me to head to the OR and scout out for when the patient rolls into the room so he could go finish other things. I head into the OR and make sure gowns and gloves are pulled for myself and my resident. I'm getting gloves out and the big fat scrub tech in the corner of the room says "you better not put those gloves up there, that patient may have a latex allergy." I then proceed to tell him that I just interviewed the patient in the ED and he denies a latex allergy. "Who are you?" he asked. I tell him that I'm an MS3. He responds "That patient has a latex allergy until I see it written on the chart that he doesn't."

Whatever, so I didn't open the gloves and went on about my business. The patient comes and I call my resident. We are moving the patient over to the table and the resident puts the gloves I pulled for him on the back table so I put mine on as well. When he notices the gloves on the table the fat scrub tech yells at me "didn't I tell you not to put your gloves up?" I just said "oh, I'm sorry" and then let him tongue lash me. I didn't make any argument because it was 1 in the morning, I was tired and quite frankly, I could care less what this 3rd shift scrub tech said. Luckily it was almost time for his break, so he was replaced 5 minutes into the case.

As soon as he found out I was a student, he had it out for me I'm sure. He never berated the resident for putting his gloves on the table.

So I'm on surgery and my resident and I see a patient in the ED about 12:30 at night. Obvious appendicitis. Attending comes by and we all talk with the patient and it's decided that we will proceed to the OR. So my resident tells me to head to the OR and scout out for when the patient rolls into the room so he could go finish other things. I head into the OR and make sure gowns and gloves are pulled for myself and my resident. I'm getting gloves out and the big fat scrub tech in the corner of the room says "you better not put those gloves up there, that patient may have a latex allergy." I then proceed to tell him that I just interviewed the patient in the ED and he denies a latex allergy. "Who are you?" he asked. I tell him that I'm an MS3. He responds "That patient has a latex allergy until I see it written on the chart that he doesn't."

Whatever, so I didn't open the gloves and went on about my business. The patient comes and I call my resident. We are moving the patient over to the table and the resident puts the gloves I pulled for him on the back table so I put mine on as well. When he notices the gloves on the table the fat scrub tech yells at me "didn't I tell you not to put your gloves up?" I just said "oh, I'm sorry" and then let him tongue lash me. I didn't make any argument because it was 1 in the morning, I was tired and quite frankly, I could care less what this 3rd shift scrub tech said. Luckily it was almost time for his break, so he was replaced 5 minutes into the case.

As soon as he found out I was a student, he had it out for me I'm sure. He never berated the resident for putting his gloves on the table.

I learned very quickly NEVER to use sterile latex gloves. The only reason they still stock them even though they should all be eliminated is that some attendings still love using them, and unlike a student, a scrub tech can't yell at an attending (unless they're very, very stupid or don't want to keep their job). Honestly, sometimes I feel like they get hated on so much by some of the higher-ups (attendings and residents and such) that they feel the need to take out their anger on medical students.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am working as a "second assist" at hospital, waiting to apply to medical school. Sadly, scrub techs/nurses are harsh to med students. Every med student has a rep, whether you've been there only one day or twelve. Poor medical students get blamed for anything/everything that goes wrong in the OR, even if a med student is not even remotely around.

After seeing tons of medical students / residents round at our hospital, I have learned a few things about getting on their good side.

1. Always walk in the room, introduce yourself and write your name/yr down
2. Get your own gown and non-latex gloves
3. Help move the pt, if possible, before scrubbing in
4. The attending is always gowned first, then resident, then the med student. Even if you were the first person in the room
5. ^^^they will love you forever if you just glove/gown yourself.:thumbup:
6. Don't leave the room as soon as you finished. Help move the pt back to their bed and help clean <- works like magic
7. If you acknowledge them outside the room and talk, it helps a lot. They like knowing at least one thing about the med student. It leaves a positive impact.
8. Know your instruments. Ask for instruments. If the scrub is busy and the surgeon is waiting for the scrub to take an instrument, you simply take it and place it on the mayo for the scrub.
9. DONT ASK IF YOU CAN SCRATCH YOUR NOSE AND STILL BE STERILE WHILE YOU ARE SCRUBBED IN (yes, this is asked quite often)

It's the little things that matter to scrub techs/nurses

Always be respectful and nice. I had one scrub nurse that I felt rode be pretty hard even after a week + on her shift. However, the last day of the rotation she went on a five minute spheel to the chief resident about how good of a student I was, how I was always respectful, never caused trouble. Mega appreciated.

Always be respectful and nice. I had one scrub nurse that I felt rode be pretty hard even after a week + on her shift. However, the last day of the rotation she went on a five minute spheel to the chief resident about how good of a student I was, how I was always respectful, never caused trouble. Mega appreciated.

This is the kind of bullcrap I hate. These disaffected scrub nurses treat those with no professional union backing them up like crap, and will only speak well of those people if they do not expect the smallest shred of respect.

In essence, she rewards spinelessness.

I learned very quickly NEVER to use sterile latex gloves. The only reason they still stock them even though they should all be eliminated is that some attendings still love using them....

Latex-free gloves generally suck. I have yet to find a pair that I don't hate. I also think latex allergies are usually bull$#@*....so I will only use latex-free gloves when absolutely necessary. Most surgeons I've encountered share my sentiment.

My million-dollar idea is to create a pair of latex-free gloves that don't suck. Once I do that, I guess I can retire....

Latex-free gloves generally suck. I have yet to find a pair that I don't hate. I also think latex allergies are usually bull$#@*....so I will only use latex-free gloves when absolutely necessary. Most surgeons I've encountered share my sentiment.

My million-dollar idea is to create a pair of latex-free gloves that don't suck. Once I do that, I guess I can retire....
Agree with SLU. I've never been in a hospital where the default OR gloves are latex free. Never seen anyone be told in the OR to use latex free gloves unless the patient has a latex allergy (at any point, even as a student....I've been in a lot of hospitals). The latex free gloves always seem to be kept in a more specific location. And they feel all wrong on my hands.

The above list by the pre med is not universal.
1. A med student gowning/gloving himself in the OR is likely to upset a scrub tech who can't ensure it was done using the best sterile technique. I've seen this tends to end with forcing the student to un-gown/glove and have the tech gown them after scrubbing again.
2. Do NOT grab instruments to put on or take off the Mayo stand unless you are told you can do this. The more people handling a needle/sharp instrument, the more risk for needlestick. Seriously. I will announce "needle back" or "needle down" so the scrub can grab/pick it up as needed. Or I will set an instrument down or tell someone to take it to free up my hand. The vast majority of scrub techs I've known do not want students touching their mayo stands....seems to be a big thing causing hostility from the tech. Once they've scrubbed with you for a while, they may trust you more. Maybe.

I am working as a "second assist" at hospital, waiting to apply to medical school. Sadly, scrub techs/nurses are harsh to med students. Every med student has a rep, whether you've been there only one day or twelve. Poor medical students get blamed for anything/everything that goes wrong in the OR, even if a med student is not even remotely around.

After seeing tons of medical students / residents round at our hospital, I have learned a few things about getting on their good side.

4. The attending is always gowned first, then resident, then the med student. Even if you were the first person in the room
6. Don't leave the room as soon as you finished. Help move the pt back to their bed and help clean <- works like magic
7. If you acknowledge them outside the room and talk, it helps a lot. They like knowing at least one thing about the med student. It leaves a positive impact.
8. Know your instruments. Ask for instruments. If the scrub is busy and the surgeon is waiting for the scrub to take an instrument, you simply take it and place it on the mayo for the scrub.
9. DONT ASK IF YOU CAN SCRATCH YOUR NOSE AND STILL BE STERILE WHILE YOU ARE SCRUBBED IN (yes, this is asked quite often)

If the tech has already gotten me a gown and placed it on Her Holiness's table, #5 will get me killed and buried in the desert.

#8: Anything involving the Mayo got my hand slapped more often than not.

Where's the part about the nurse?

Agree with SLU. I've never been in a hospital where the default OR gloves are latex free. Never seen anyone be told in the OR to use latex free gloves unless the patient has a latex allergy (at any point, even as a student....I've been in a lot of hospitals). The latex free gloves always seem to be kept in a more specific location. And they feel all wrong on my hands.

The above list by the pre med is not universal.
1. A med student gowning/gloving himself in the OR is likely to upset a scrub tech who can't ensure it was done using the best sterile technique. I've seen this tends to end with forcing the student to un-gown/glove and have the tech gown them after scrubbing again.
2. Do NOT grab instruments to put on or take off the Mayo stand unless you are told you can do this. The more people handling a needle/sharp instrument, the more risk for needlestick. Seriously. I will announce "needle back" or "needle down" so the scrub can grab/pick it up as needed. Or I will set an instrument down or tell someone to take it to free up my hand. The vast majority of scrub techs I've known do not want students touching their mayo stands....seems to be a big thing causing hostility from the tech. Once they've scrubbed with you for a while, they may trust you more. Maybe.

Sorry, I assumed med students were taught how to gown themselves, proper sterile technique, how to scrub, always assume a room is 'hot' and to always announce sharp objects. If you are not confident with gowning yourself, then you absolutely do not need to do so.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, I assumed med students were taught how to gown themselves, proper sterile technique, how to scrub, always assume a room is 'hot' and to always announce sharp objects. If you are not confident with gowning yourself, then you absolutely do not need to do so.

It doesn't matter how comfortable the person is; it's the room/case/staff that dictate whether you can gown yourself or not. Even in my fellowship for pediatric cardiology cases in the cath lab were different. Routine caths and EP studies, you gowned yourself. Pacemaker placements, you let the nurse/tech gown you. We were about to start percutaneous pulmonary valve replacements (just after I finished) and they were going to require the latter as well.

Good advise in general. Except for number 8. Never touch the mayo stand or instrument table unless in extenuating circumstances and specifically directed to by the resident/attending or scrub tech. You will get your ass kicked by the scrub tech. In these cases announce exactly what you touched: "Suture scissors off the mayo stand". Also a good idea to announce when you put sharps down or if anything goes to floor. This is a safety thing and it shows that you know what you are doing in the OR.

wow-- i so needed this thread today. :( never had problems before but after being in the OR with two scrub techs i found out how some of them can really act. after being in there for 1 hour and following their orders and not talking back, i found out i was reported for behavior problems and not working as a team. maybe it was because the surgeon was telling me how to suture and so was the scrub tech, so who did i listen to? the surgeon!

so glad this year is almost done.

my favorite is the surgeon asking for some type of sharps, you are the closest to the scrub nurse and reach out your hand to transfer to surgeon, and the scrub denies your hand and reaches at full arm length to hand straight to the surgeon. (we just want to help!) Makes me laugh every time!

I think there will be crappy people where ever you go. Luckily the ones at my hospital aren't too bad. I find that if you say hi to people and smile, they tend to want to help you.

my favorite is the surgeon asking for some type of sharps, you are the closest to the scrub nurse and reach out your hand to transfer to surgeon, and the scrub denies your hand and reaches at full arm length to hand straight to the surgeon. (we just want to help!) Makes me laugh every time!
It makes sense, actually. Instrument transfers are an easy way to get stuck.

Yes, I know that now, but when I first started in the OR I had no idea the protocol there and was embarrassed a few times.

What I've learned from this thread is don't do anything in the OR unless specifically asked. Outside, go crazy with helping.

I've been told several times to be scrubbed in before the residents and especially the attending. This seems more efficient to me because when the attending is scrubbing in the tech/nurse is usually scrambling to set everything up and you would have missed your window as a lowly student to get gowned/gloved.

This has worked for me so far...any other thoughts on this?

true but scrub nurses will give the instrument to the resident if the resident does the same thing as the student in that situation. Now obviously students are not trained at the same level but overall scrub nurses have no respect for them. I don't ask for respect, I just want the person to be nice. Scrub techs are normally complete douches.

I've been told several times to be scrubbed in before the residents and especially the attending. This seems more efficient to me because when the attending is scrubbing in the tech/nurse is usually scrambling to set everything up and you would have missed your window as a lowly student to get gowned/gloved.

This was my experience, too. Things always went smoother if I just helped get the patient ready and then scrubbed in before things got too crazy starting the surgery.

Yup, definitely an awkward moment when everyone is practically frozen like statues staring at you attempting to get gowned/gloved.

I love the residents who tell me to scrub ahead so I can get scrubbed and the flow from attending scrubbed > patient draped > time out > incision is smooth without the med student attempting to get his hand in the gloves correctly and snugly fit the first time.

Scrub nurse never hands me the drapes, is there a etiquette for med students to not help w/ draping?

Scrub nurse never hands me the drapes, is there a etiquette for med students to not help w/ draping?

I never helped with draping, just let them do it. I would follow the patient in an help with getting the patient ready though, transferring to OR table, hooking up to monitors, etc...

It's also a good time to get experience placing a foley and usually the nurses are good about letting students do those.

I've only been able to drape the patient once because the RNFA offered to let me drape. Usually, the attendings and the residents ask me to stand back while they drape so I don't screw anything up.

Also, this thread makes me happy that in the 1.5 months that I've been in surgery, I've had nothing but awesome experiences with scrub and circulation nurses (except for 1). They've been very helpful. I'm doing the rest of my surgery rotation at another hospital starting on Monday, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for more nice nurses.

When I did surgery, I was allowed to help drape when I felt confident I could. Watched a few times and got the hang of it. It helped my intern was there to stop any potential "boo boos" from happening in the OR, haha.

Draping is one of those things people are superstitious about due to surgical site infection. There are some attendings who don't even want the resident to drape. Plastics is particularly anal about the draping in my experience. Once you've dealt with an infected breast implant, you'll know why. Don't worry, you aren't missing much, but if you are interested just ask your attending before the case to take you through draping. They will probably be happy to do it.

For the most part as a student, best to just stand back until the patient is draped, the bovie is hooked up, etc. Be scrubbed and gowned before that process starts or wait til it's done, but don't come in dripping in the middle of it.

Don't try to drape unless someone tells you to. Everyone has their own little thing about how to do it, and even as a PGY-3 surgery resident, I don't drape the field unless I know how an attending wants it done.

i never have a problem with any of the stuff except registrars and consultants. why should you suck up to someone who is not going to grade you?
In my hospital students aren't useless. in minor cases, the surgeon needs an extra pair of hands and that is also something. actualy this job is the third most important job after operation and anesthesia. so you are doing some job and being paid by knowledge(not money) which seems fair at this stage. .

Another thing is that you cant be offended by old people. 2 words can make them explode. or a simple laugh after their rant. then u just relax and watch their grumpy face during surgery. always fun.

and you don't have to suck up by doing things you aren't supposed to do. you have a lot to learn from anesthesiologist and surgeons.

Argh, frigging scrub nurse today, second to last day of sub-I, with the CHEIF of the department, and today is the day I get picked on!! New scrub that I haven't worked with before, giving a break to the other scrub who I met this morning. First thing she got snarky with me about was when the attending asked for irrigation and I reached for the suction bulb (right next to me in a stand, not on her table) then she proceeds to yell at me about if I wanted to do her job. The rest of the case, if I requested a instrument (retractor, scissors, etc) she would either hand it to the attending and ignore me, or wait until he requested it. So annoying! At the end of the day my resident was like I felt so bad for you, I wanted to yell at her on your behalf. She said not to worry, everyone knows that scrub is a b!@tch.

Its funny how many people bitch about scrub techs and nurses on here... yeah some people are just dicks thats life, get over it, but if all the scrubs you work with are being rude to you, the problem probably isnt them, it is probably you. I was a scrub for almost 8 years working with residents and students,and I had only a few problems with any of the residents/students. If you walk in thinking you are hot ****, they will put you in your place. There are many who know about aseptic technique and proper gowning, but so many do not, and its the techs job to ensure that you do not contaminate the field and possibly cause an infection. They are not taking anything out on you, being a tech is great, I know very few people who do not like being a tech, from what i have read on this forum is that it seems like so many people think they are better then the tech, just be a nice person and you will find the OR staff can be nice too, or be a dick and the tech can ruin your day. Why do you think most surgeons dont screw with the OR staff, because they can make your whole day miserable, without causing any problems for the patient. A few delays here and there, can set your day back by hours, and turn an 8 hour day into a 12 hour day. Just because you are a new doctor or will one day be one doesn't mean you can be a dick to the staff.

Its funny how many people bitch about scrub techs and nurses on here... yeah some people are just dicks thats life, get over it, but if all the scrubs you work with are being rude to you, the problem probably isnt them, it is probably you. I was a scrub for almost 8 years working with residents and students,and I had only a few problems with any of the residents/students. If you walk in thinking you are hot ****, they will put you in your place. There are many who know about aseptic technique and proper gowning, but so many do not, and its the techs job to ensure that you do not contaminate the field and possibly cause an infection. They are not taking anything out on you, being a tech is great, I know very few people who do not like being a tech, from what i have read on this forum is that it seems like so many people think they are better then the tech, just be a nice person and you will find the OR staff can be nice too, or be a dick and the tech can ruin your day. Why do you think most surgeons dont screw with the OR staff, because they can make your whole day miserable, without causing any problems for the patient. A few delays here and there, can set your day back by hours, and turn an 8 hour day into a 12 hour day. Just because you are a new doctor or will one day be one doesn't mean you can be a dick to the staff.

Most of what I have seen is the complete opposite. Some scrub nurses just like to prey on students, even those of us who are respectful and courteous. It's actually pretty juvenile sometimes.

That being said, most scrub tech's/nurses I have met are nice and relatively easy to get along with. Kill them with kindness and you'll come out unscathed :D

Why do you think most surgeons dont screw with the OR staff
Because that would be juvenile, and most OR staff are deferent to the surgeon, at least to the level of being polite?

because they can make your whole day miserable, without causing any problems for the patient. A few delays here and there, can set your day back by hours, and turn an 8 hour day into a 12 hour day.
Now that's juvenile, and it's very unprofessional to approach your job like this. Doing this shows that you lack pride in what you do.

Someone seems to have an axe to grind with regard to med students.

I'm pretty sure very few med students stroll into an OR thinking they're hot %it or whatever. When I was a med student, I was polite and respectful, but still got attitude in return from one or two scrub techs. Note, I said one or two, not the majority. Most of the scrub techs I worked with were pretty polite.

I have read the responses posted here, and none of the med students have posted anything to suggest that they're better than scrub techs. Mostly they are venting frustration with regard to being treated like crap by certain scrub techs. God forbid they do that for fear of offending people like yourself!

Oh, and I also find your assertion that scrub techs have the power to make a med student's day miserable very amusing. I really had no idea how much awesome power scrub techs wield! Here you are telling med students to be polite to scrub techs, and yet you seem to suggest that scrub techs have a God-given right to be rude in return.

Oh, and did it ever occur to you that many doctors become *****holes because they were treated like crap by scrub techs and other staff who were *****holes. If you don't want to create future physicians who are dicks, then don't perpetuate the cycle.

Someone seems to have an axe to grind with regard to med students.

I'm pretty sure very few med students stroll into an OR thinking they're hot %it or whatever. When I was a med student, I was polite and respectful, but still got attitude in return from one or two scrub techs. Note, I said one or two, not the majority. Most of the scrub techs I worked with were pretty polite.

I have read the responses posted here, and none of the med students have posted anything to suggest that they're better than scrub techs. Mostly they are venting frustration with regard to being treated like crap by certain scrub techs. God forbid they do that for fear of offending people like yourself!

Oh, and I also find your assertion that scrub techs have the power to make a med student's day miserable very amusing. I really had no idea how much awesome power scrub techs wield! Here you are telling med students to be polite to scrub techs, and yet you seem to suggest that scrub techs have a God-given right to be rude in return.

Oh, and did it ever occur to you that many doctors become *****holes because they were treated like crap by scrub techs and other staff who were *****holes. If you don't want to create future physicians who are dicks, then don't perpetuate the cycle.

You must not have read very many of the posts on this site, some examples
1. Scrub nurses......ahhhhhhh......the joy of the OR. Just ignore those *******...I've had to destroy a few of them in my post-residency life, believe me.
2. Nope, just the satisfaction of destroying one of those slobs when they need it
3. wow, i thought only i was disrespected. i hate the damn scrub nurses. they are the biggest aholes!!!
4. .Originally Posted by Dr.McNinja ...
.Ah, the coup d'etat of the nursing field. Anyone outranks them and asks them to do something, they start complaining about losing their licenses. Just how often do nurses lose their licenses anyway?.
.Not nearly often enough, but that's because we don't complain to their licensing boards.

I plan to rectify that when I get back to residency..
.5.. Fist off the Scrub Techs job is to do as you say even as a medical student. The reason that they do not respect you is because you dont demand respect. When I go into the OR I am respectful but I also make it known to them that I will not put up w/ their -ish- so they shouldnt even try. Then they start kissing up to even me. (although it could be because I am extremely good looking)And to the person who got pushed out of the way by the tech...next time just punch her in the face
.These were just from two pages of this post! So yes
.6.. Of course. Why should us doctors ever acknowledge the existence of the mere mortal nurses and scrub techs

Now I understand venting frustrations, and I understand that people can be rude students, doctors, techs, and nurses. The fact is that most people are not just rude to be mean. Working in the OR as a tech or a nurse, it is part of our job to make sure the students don't screw up.. the surgeons don't watch them, they have more important things to concentrate on, so it falls to us lowly techs to make sure students know what to do.
I never suggested that nurses or techs have the right to be rude to the students or doctors, I was just implying that before you try to trash a tech or yell at them as so many people on here have suggested that you understand that most surgeons could not perform surgery without these people, because yes as a surgeon or future surgeon you may have more education then most, but you are not all powerful, and you need other people to get your job done.

And as for your assertion that many doctors become *******s because they were treated crappy by scrubs, i find that amusing to say the least. I would say that if there is a reason, besides most physicians being type A personalities, most surgeons are *******s its because they were treated that way by the attendings they were trained under, during residency, not because of a scrub they maybe see once a week.

You must not have read very many of the posts on this site, some examples
1. Scrub nurses......ahhhhhhh......the joy of the OR. Just ignore those *******...I've had to destroy a few of them in my post-residency life, believe me.
2. Nope, just the satisfaction of destroying one of those slobs when they need it
3. wow, i thought only i was disrespected. i hate the damn scrub nurses. they are the biggest aholes!!!
4. .Originally Posted by Dr.McNinja ...
.Ah, the coup d'etat of the nursing field. Anyone outranks them and asks them to do something, they start complaining about losing their licenses. Just how often do nurses lose their licenses anyway?.
.Not nearly often enough, but that's because we don't complain to their licensing boards.

I plan to rectify that when I get back to residency..
.5.. Fist off the Scrub Techs job is to do as you say even as a medical student. The reason that they do not respect you is because you dont demand respect. When I go into the OR I am respectful but I also make it known to them that I will not put up w/ their -ish- so they shouldnt even try. Then they start kissing up to even me. (although it could be because I am extremely good looking)And to the person who got pushed out of the way by the tech...next time just punch her in the face
.These were just from two pages of this post! So yes
.6.. Of course. Why should us doctors ever acknowledge the existence of the mere mortal nurses and scrub techs

Now I understand venting frustrations, and I understand that people can be rude students, doctors, techs, and nurses. The fact is that most people are not just rude to be mean. Working in the OR as a tech or a nurse, it is part of our job to make sure the students don't screw up.. the surgeons don't watch them, they have more important things to concentrate on, so it falls to us lowly techs to make sure students know what to do.
I never suggested that nurses or techs have the right to be rude to the students or doctors, I was just implying that before you try to trash a tech or yell at them as so many people on here have suggested that you understand that most surgeons could not perform surgery without these people, because yes as a surgeon or future surgeon you may have more education then most, but you are not all powerful, and you need other people to get your job done.

And as for your assertion that many doctors become *******s because they were treated crappy by scrubs, i find that amusing to say the least. I would say that if there is a reason, besides most physicians being type A personalities, most surgeons are *******s its because they were treated that way by the attendings they were trained under, during residency, not because of a scrub they maybe see once a week.

I agree with your assertion about crappy surgeons being crappy because they were trained under crappy attendings.

I disagree with you that you are the one responsible for making sure students don't screw up. We are adults, not little children running around a museum touching things we aren't supposed to touch.

Some surgery places I've been to have a short crash course on things that are sterile in the OR, the routine of scrubbing in, and a "map" of the OR with location of mayo table, anesthesia, etc. These courses are more than enough for students to understand their role in the OR.

Ergo, there is no need to be hyper-vigilant about watching students and making sure they don't breath the wrong way....believe it or not, for many of us this is a totally shocking but awesome experience to be in the OR for the first time in our lives...and even then not as a visitor but straight as a part of a team. Soon as scrub nurses and techs start giving us attitudes, we get even more nervous and self-conscious and you know what nervous people do? they screw up even if they don't mean it....

So please, it's not your job to make sure we aren't screwing up. We are competent highly-intelligent adults who are capable of familiarizing ourselves with our surroundings and can quickly adapt to a new environment. Just be polite and be more patient with us.

Because that would be juvenile, and most OR staff are deferent to the surgeon, at least to the level of being polite?

Now that's juvenile, and it's very unprofessional to approach your job like this. Doing this shows that you lack pride in what you do.

This is exactly the problem with the mentality being promoted by the ex-scrub. The proper response to a unprofessional colleague is to do your job equally well, not to seek retribution.

Also, lol at the idea that slowing down surgeries to punish surgeons doesn't have any potential impact on a patient....

Most of what I have seen is the complete opposite. Some scrub nurses just like to prey on students, even those of us who are respectful and courteous. It's actually pretty juvenile sometimes.

That being said, most scrub tech's/nurses I have met are nice and relatively easy to get along with. Kill them with kindness and you'll come out unscathed :D

As a former surgical tech, I definitely agree with this. I was cool with the med students that rotated at the hospital I worked at because I was a pre-med at the time and I enjoyed talking to them. Some techs don't give a **** about that and try to establish some sort of power over you.

But let's not forget about the circulators who can be pretty bitchy too. Wait, but so can the attendings and residents. Maybe there is something in the water?

I said, "scrub techs and other staff". That would encompass anyone from attendings to residents to nurses to scrub techs.

The other day, the scrub nurse told me to rescrub because I towel-dried my arms "too quickly". Apparently, you create microbes out of thin air if you move your hands too fast.

The other day, the scrub nurse told me to rescrub because I towel-dried my arms "too quickly". Apparently, you create microbes out of thin air if you move your hands too fast.
You should've tossed her the towel.

I'm not quite sure how you can extrapolate a penis compensation joke from a large box of kleenex. I'm going to give you a C minus on that comeback.

And yes, the scrub techs can punish you. It's obvious that they're already doing so, as you have your panties in such a bunch over the issue.

I do agree with you that we're all on the same team, but you can't be a true team player with an attitude that screams "you're just a nurse, what the hell do you know?"

Now to stop fighting and get back to your initial point, I agree that there are dozens of students that come through for every good "you're never going to believe what the med student did" story. I also think that there are plenty of scrub techs and circulating nurses that are going to be unnecessarily mean and vindictive.

However, I can promise you that the med students that are courteous and leave their egos at the OR sink get a lot less negative attention than the cocky ones that looks like they need to be taken down a peg or two. You also have to remember that they have home field advantage, so you're going to lose most arguments.

Please take this advice from someone whose been through it as a student, and continues to experience it as a surgical resident: You have very little to gain by "standing your ground" and arguing with the ancillary OR staff. Every student fantasizes about mouthing off to the unfair scrub and proving them wrong, but that never happens in real life.

Just accept the fact that the situation is unfair. Your residents and attendings know it. You don't lose points for contaminating yourself. If the OR staff says you contaminated yourself, even if you know it isn't true, just agree and regown/reglove. It will save you a rotation's worth of headaches and will make you appear more mature to the people that are actually grading you.

I'm hoping to one day match at a competetive surg tech program. Can you give me any tips?
Did you pursue a fellowship? Did you consider research?
I really like to shoot for the stars.

Last edited:
I'm hoping to one day match at a competetive surg tech program. Can you give me any tips?
Did you pursue a fellowship? Did you consider research?
I really like to shoot for the stars.

What do you mean "surg tech" and what year of medical school are you in?