I'm so tierd of SCRUB nurses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've spent one week in surgery and it took me about 2.5 seconds to be able to TOTALLY sympathize with this thread! Gosh, scrub nurses are a really interesting psychological bunch. Not all - I did meet two nice ones;) But my, the rest that I met were all the same and BAD. I don't believe for a minute that these people care about sterile field.. they are on such a power trip its not even funny. Its honestly pathetic and actually kinda pisses me off all at the same time. There's no reason why they should have that much power, authority, control and ability to act the way that they do. I've been nothing but respectful, nice, smiley, always help out but its so obvious that the ones with complexes are there to show they are the ones in charge.
One lady who is real trouble, walks around like she freaking owns the entire OR, better yet the hospital, it almost seems like the attending surgeons suck up sometimes...why???!?! She throw things around, is rough with objects, slamming things, barking orders, ugh its so annoying. They act like its such a stressful job, and that there is so much going on and the weight of the world rests on their shoulders. I understand the importance of their job but please, check the ego at the door. For Gods sake, the one lady was sitting in between all cases playing around on the computer..

Members don't see this ad.

Scrub nurses exist because nurses are unionized.

When I did surgery, the scrub nurses were often late, and there was nothing we could do about it.

You could train a high-school student to be able to do that for a summer job. It doesn't take a lot of mental power. All you need to be able to do is count above 10.

Not quite a scrub nurse story, but still somewhat amusing...

I was on my first delivery on L&D, putting on a sterile gown for the first time in my life. I guess I was a little clumsy tying the little strings because my hand must have momentarily slipped below my navel...next thing I know, this L&D nurse screams "GET THE HELL OUT OF MY ROOM...YOU JUST CONTAMINATED YOURSELF," and then proceeds to grab me by the shoulder and yank me back. Never mind the fact that the entire "sterile field" was literally covered in feces...that's all proper sterile technique (because we all know vaginal deliveries are sterile procedures).

PS...In this era of evidence based practice, why the hell do we still believe in this nipple to navel BS?

Members don't see this ad :)
The thing I don't get is how they get away with it! Seriously, you would think that there job security would be threatened by this type of behavior! Or at least, people standing up to them...
And I don't necessarily think that killing them with kindness always works. Theres a fine balance. If you are too nice, people will walk all over you in the hospital. Just my opinion.

The thing I don't get is how they get away with it! Seriously, you would think that there job security would be threatened by this type of behavior! Or at least, people standing up to them...
And I don't necessarily think that killing them with kindness always works. Theres a fine balance. If you are too nice, people will walk all over you in the hospital. Just my opinion.

You don't have to be kind to them. Just be kind to everyone else around them. They'll look like total idiots.

It's not about being too nice. It's about being a push-over. You have to draw the line early. If someone asks you to do something that is demeaning, refuse.

What is an example of something that you think would be being a push over?

Not quite a scrub nurse story, but still somewhat amusing...

I was on my first delivery on L&D, putting on a sterile gown for the first time in my life. I guess I was a little clumsy tying the little strings because my hand must have momentarily slipped below my navel...next thing I know, this L&D nurse screams "GET THE HELL OUT OF MY ROOM...YOU JUST CONTAMINATED YOURSELF," and then proceeds to grab me by the shoulder and yank me back. Never mind the fact that the entire "sterile field" was literally covered in feces...that's all proper sterile technique (because we all know vaginal deliveries are sterile procedures).

PS...In this era of evidence based practice, why the hell do we still believe in this nipple to navel BS?
Which is why it's kind of funny when the attendings "contaminate" themselves (and are fully aware of it), and some anal-retentive scrub nurse is just fuming about it.

The only time I've ever seen an attending get really concerned about the sterile field is when we open the bowel or when we're putting in mesh (if it gets infected, it's probably gonna come out). The whole idea of childbirth being remotely sterile is pretty funny. Unless they prep the vagina, that's certainly not sterile, and seeing how most women don't just push out a baby ;) there's plenty to contaminate the "field."

Boy you folks are brutal and scary all in one shot. I haad no idea sites like this existed stumbled on it by accident but please do remind me not to get sick any were some of you folks are gonna practice. You got a scrub here that admits she contaminates and doesnt say anything oh yeah im jumping up and down here waiting to be on her table. Got another that wants to go around punching staff in the face got to say im next in that line for him. This way when he is done i can grab, yeah you guys know the guy you folks hate, the lawyer, to sue his ass for assualt. Oh but wait lets all just throw sterlie technique out the window cause you folks, that are going to be drs someday, dont think infection and consquences seem to be important. And to think i thought we all went into the medical field because we cared about the patients how stupid of me!!!

Your paragraph is poorly written and difficult to read.

THe issue isn't that the scrub nurses are doing their jobs. We are very happy that they are. It's that some of them are extremely disrespectful to everyone in the room, and other's don't do their jobs correctly.

Let me preface this post with the following: I have respect for everyone and am sympathetic to the plight of med students in the OR.

I've been a nurse for 3.5 years and have worked with some of the top cardiac, transplant, and trauma surgeons in the nation so I'll try to help you out.

If you want to get in good with the staff in the room, do the following:

1. Come in to the room and introduce yourself -this goes a long way
2. Ask if you can help position, prep, etc. -again, this goes a long way (this is also good to know if you want to do Sx)
3. If you are scrubbing go pull your gloves and ask if they need a gown for you.
- Typically the only person I pull gloves for is the attending. If I know who the fellow and/or residents will be (and know their gloves) I will pull them as well. Other than that I have no clue who will be scrubbed and what their gloves are. Pulling your gloves is common courtesy.

4. Don't touch the mayo or anything on it.

As far as counts, per JCAHO you must counts even with lap cases. I don't like it but I make sure counts are correct, and if they are not a simple xray covers it.

Extra instruments are an incorrect count, because that means the initial was incorrect so there is no telling if you are only +1 or you were +2 and are now missing 1.

Even with procurements the counts must be correct. A retained instrument in a dead person can (and has) brought about lawsuits. Stupid? Probably, but that's the way it is.

I'll bend over backwards to help a med student, but when your in a room with attendings, fellows, residents, and interns you priority is very low. And if you are a prick it gets even worse. Attendings who have good rapport with their scrubs will side with the scrub in a heartbeat over a student. The student will be gone in a month, while some of these teams have been together for 20+ years.

But yeah I've worked with my fair share of grumpy nurses who suck out loud. It is a large reason I'm going back to school, but when I start doing surgery rotations I guarantee you I will follow my own advice. I enjoy these stories and laugh at them too.

Ya Ya, but let's be reasonable. The bad stories about students are too few compared to how many medical students fill ORs. so if you're a nurse reading this, effing relax man. patronizing or brow-beating a student is just unnecessary. everybody heard you say, "don't touch anything blue," and does not need to see your teeth.

IE) shut up, you're a nurse, do you even know what "bugs" your protecting the patient from? Whenever the OR door is opened, the field is compromised. NO student, barring an exceptional few, ignorantly works to contaminate the patient. We're on the same team "folks"!...lol i now hate that word

I'm just trying to help without being condescending. You can either take my advice, or ignore it and be a prick. I see you went with the latter. And i don't think anyone deliberately 'works to contaminate a field', but it happens. My post didn't even address contamination.

Just make sure you carry around a big box of Kleenex for when all those cat lady scrub nurses are mean to you. I look forward to this thread growing from like stories.

kleenex-box2.jpg

Let me preface this post with the following: I have respect for everyone and am sympathetic to the plight of med students in the OR.

I've been a nurse for 3.5 years and have worked with some of the top cardiac, transplant, and trauma surgeons in the nation so I'll try to help you out.

If you want to get in good with the staff in the room, do the following:

1. Come in to the room and introduce yourself -this goes a long way
2. Ask if you can help position, prep, etc. -again, this goes a long way (this is also good to know if you want to do Sx)
3. If you are scrubbing go pull your gloves and ask if they need a gown for you.
- Typically the only person I pull gloves for is the attending. If I know who the fellow and/or residents will be (and know their gloves) I will pull them as well. Other than that I have no clue who will be scrubbed and what their gloves are. Pulling your gloves is common courtesy.

4. Don't touch the mayo or anything on it.

As far as counts, per JCAHO you must counts even with lap cases. I don't like it but I make sure counts are correct, and if they are not a simple xray covers it.

Extra instruments are an incorrect count, because that means the initial was incorrect so there is no telling if you are only +1 or you were +2 and are now missing 1.

Even with procurements the counts must be correct. A retained instrument in a dead person can (and has) brought about lawsuits. Stupid? Probably, but that's the way it is.

I'll bend over backwards to help a med student, but when your in a room with attendings, fellows, residents, and interns you priority is very low. And if you are a prick it gets even worse. Attendings who have good rapport with their scrubs will side with the scrub in a heartbeat over a student. The student will be gone in a month, while some of these teams have been together for 20+ years.

But yeah I've worked with my fair share of grumpy nurses who suck out loud. It is a large reason I'm going back to school, but when I start doing surgery rotations I guarantee you I will follow my own advice. I enjoy these stories and laugh at them too.

Is there a particular reason medical students can't snag an instrument from the Mayo but attendings can? Is it so the nurse can keep count of the instruments? I learned my lesson the hard way today and have taken note, but was never actually taught why it's that way. Of course I should have asked...

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a particular reason medical students can't snag an instrument from the Mayo but attendings can? Is it so the nurse can keep count of the instruments? I learned my lesson the hard way today and have taken note, but was never actually taught why it's that way. Of course I should have asked...
It's just a turf thing. People arrange things on the mayo just the way they want them, so if you're playing with their toys, it annoys some people. Other people don't seem to care, but I just avoid the mayo. The only exceptions tend to be at the end of the case, when they're doing counts and suctioning up the excess saline and such. Then I'll grab the suture scissors instead of asking them to stop what they're doing just to hand me a scissors.

It's just a turf thing. People arrange things on the mayo just the way they want them, so if you're playing with their toys, it annoys some people. Other people don't seem to care, but I just avoid the mayo. The only exceptions tend to be at the end of the case, when they're doing counts and suctioning up the excess saline and such. Then I'll grab the suture scissors instead of asking them to stop what they're doing just to hand me a scissors.

It isn't a turf thing (for me). Its for counts. I keep certain things on the mayo, and I can keep better track if I'm the only one taking from it. I know when/what is missing just by glancing @ the mayo, and this only works because I control what leaves it. Its the same reason why I snatch up a pair of pickups as soon as they are sat down and not to be used in the near future.

I also get ticked when people grab off my mayo because I need to have what the attending wants. If the med student/intern/resident/pa student is grabbing things off my stand then I can't hand them to the attending if they want it. When I start handing off closing suture, or ties- the med student better believe a pair of mayo scissors is coming his/her way. That is one less thing I'm responsible for and it something they can do. But when they are done tying I'm going to want those scissors back.

A lot of the things scrubs do may be perceived as malignant (and oftentimes they are), but there is usually a reason. Some just go way overboard.

I don't like attendings taking off my mayo, but I usually don't mind because of who they are. Attendings also rarely do it, because they know its taboo. Its usually in a dire situation or when a scrub isn't keeping up/busy doing something else. Most scrubs will set their mayo up to avoid people getting handsy (having ties come off the backside of the mayo or burying pickups under trays/towels.) Just verbalize that you are taking scissors/stats/pickups off their stand if their back is turned so they know its in the field now.

Last edited:
IE) shut up, you're a nurse, do you even know what "bugs" your protecting the patient from? Whenever the OR door is opened, the field is compromised. NO student, barring an exceptional few, ignorantly works to contaminate the patient. We're on the same team "folks"!...lol i now hate that word

The bolded statement above is pretty ridiculous. Your attitude sucks, so I'm not surprised if some of the more adept scrub techs pick up on it and decide to punish you a little.

I don't know if it's just a turf thing. It's also a safety thing. There are plenty of sharp objects leaving and returning to the mayo stand at high speeds during the operation. Reaching an inexperienced hand toward the stand is a good way to get stuck. Honestly, after seeing several near-misses, and a few needle sticks, I mostly agree with the scrub techs that there should only be one set of hands on the Mayo.

Now, once they're on the back table counting sponges and the intern and med student are closing skin, I think it's perfectly fine to snatch some scissors off the mayo, as I don't see it as some sacred rule.

On the other hand, some nurses know "your" vs. "you're."

I'm just trying to help without being condescending. You can either take my advice, or ignore it and be a prick. I see you went with the latter. And i don't think anyone deliberately 'works to contaminate a field', but it happens. My post didn't even address contamination.

Just make sure you carry around a big box of Kleenex for when all those cat lady scrub nurses are mean to you. I look forward to this thread growing from like stories.

kleenex-box2.jpg
That is quite a large box stevey, compensating hun?

The bolded statement above is pretty ridiculous. Your attitude sucks, so I'm not surprised if some of the more adept scrub techs pick up on it and decide to punish you a little.
Punish me? really? how exciting

You got me SU...total burn..

Look kittens, retract your metaphorical claws, remember we're all on the same team here "folks"!

That is quite a large box stevey, compensating hun?

Punish me? really? how exciting

You got me SU...total burn..

Look kittens, retract your metaphorical claws, remember we're all on the same team here "folks"!

I'm not quite sure how you can extrapolate a penis compensation joke from a large box of kleenex. I'm going to give you a C minus on that comeback.

And yes, the scrub techs can punish you. It's obvious that they're already doing so, as you have your panties in such a bunch over the issue.

I do agree with you that we're all on the same team, but you can't be a true team player with an attitude that screams "you're just a nurse, what the hell do you know?"

Now to stop fighting and get back to your initial point, I agree that there are dozens of students that come through for every good "you're never going to believe what the med student did" story. I also think that there are plenty of scrub techs and circulating nurses that are going to be unnecessarily mean and vindictive.

However, I can promise you that the med students that are courteous and leave their egos at the OR sink get a lot less negative attention than the cocky ones that looks like they need to be taken down a peg or two. You also have to remember that they have home field advantage, so you're going to lose most arguments.

Please take this advice from someone whose been through it as a student, and continues to experience it as a surgical resident: You have very little to gain by "standing your ground" and arguing with the ancillary OR staff. Every student fantasizes about mouthing off to the unfair scrub and proving them wrong, but that never happens in real life.

Just accept the fact that the situation is unfair. Your residents and attendings know it. You don't lose points for contaminating yourself. If the OR staff says you contaminated yourself, even if you know it isn't true, just agree and regown/reglove. It will save you a rotation's worth of headaches and will make you appear more mature to the people that are actually grading you.

Last edited:
I gotta say, Steve is right. A little common courtesy is all it takes to win over even the grumpiest scrub nurses. "Hi I'm cpants. I'm a medical student, and I'm going to be scrubbing on the case. Where do you want me to drop these gloves? Do you need any extra gowns?" Those four sentences are how you should start every case you scrub on. The nurses appreciate it, and attendings, residents, nurses, etc. will all notice that you know how to handle yourself in the OR.

Realize that, unlike you, the scrub nurse has a very important role in the case. Always be respectful and polite. Please and thank you even if the resident/attending isn't saying it. Never touch their stuff without asking. If you are unsure about protocol in the OR, ask.

I gotta say, Steve is right. A little common courtesy is all it takes to win over even the grumpiest scrub nurses.
Not true.

I'm generally a ridiculously polite person. I started every case I scrubbed in on with that same spiel...always pulled my own gown, gloves, etc...always said please/thanks when asking for things off the mayo. And while some were definitely nice, there were plenty who were obnoxious, arrogant, and catty despite it all.

Scrub techs and L&D nurses as a group probably have the most malignant personalities I've encountered in medicine thus far.

And while some were definitely nice, there were plenty who were obnoxious, arrogant, and catty despite it all.

There are definitely some that are persistently arrogant. I just roll my eyes and ignore it -- there's really nothing they can do to you if the attending has your back (which they should as a M4). But nothing is more infuriating than when they're standing there making faces and groaning while you close or put drains in or something. I just try to count down the minutes until I'm a resident and I'll bust out my subtly passive aggressive bag of tricks when they pull that crap. :laugh:

I'm glad someone else was bothered by that.

I'll see Steve's 3.5 years and raise him 20.5. He's a little new in the field to be lecturing anyone.

I'm glad someone else was bothered by that.

I'll see Steve's 3.5 years and raise him 20.5. He's a little new in the field to be lecturing anyone.

feel free to correct any inaccuracies I may have presented. Just because you've done something 20+ years doesn't mean you are good at it or know what you're doing. I work with nurses that prove that daily.

Again, if I misspoke please add to topic. We already have enough self-righteous, condescending *******s in this thread without you.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Insulting each other and name calling is a violation of the SDN Terms of Service.

Please conduct yourselves in a professional and mature manner or the thread will be closed and those in violation will receive administrative action.

I'm in my final quarter of school to obtain my associates of science in surgical technology. I have maintained a 4.0 since I began. I am a member of the Gamma Beta Phi National Honor Society as well as a mentor at my school. I will be one of "those scrub nurses" when I finish and pass my certification exam. That being said, I just wanted to tell our side of the story. We are DRILLED in school to protect protect PROTECT our sterile field like it was our own newborn baby. That is our number one priority. Yes, some of us can be... unpleasant for lack of a better word. We are also warned extensively about surgeons' egos... Now, my father is a surgeon and is one of the most patient and amazing men I know. He is the one who inspired me to become a scrub nurse. So I think maybe it's all in the way we look at things. We "scrub nurses" look at surgeons as egotistical tyrants that we have to stand up against so that we aren't ran over or abused. You surgeons look at us STs as know-it-all "mayo-nazis"... I am glad I came across this thread, though. It has given me an insight into how the "other half" thinks. :)

Honestly had no idea they gave out grades in scrub tech school--you learn something new everyday.
You can fail it too. There was a surg tech student in the OR with me a month ago or so that walked in and started gowning himself without a mask.

It was supposedly his second time going through the program, and probably not his last....

I'm in my final quarter of school to obtain my associates of science in surgical technology. I have maintained a 4.0 since I began. I am a member of the Gamma Beta Phi National Honor Society as well as a mentor at my school. I will be one of "those scrub nurses" when I finish and pass my certification exam. That being said, I just wanted to tell our side of the story. We are DRILLED in school to protect protect PROTECT our sterile field like it was our own newborn baby. That is our number one priority. Yes, some of us can be... unpleasant for lack of a better word. We are also warned extensively about surgeons' egos... Now, my father is a surgeon and is one of the most patient and amazing men I know. He is the one who inspired me to become a scrub nurse. So I think maybe it's all in the way we look at things. We "scrub nurses" look at surgeons as egotistical tyrants that we have to stand up against so that we aren't ran over or abused. You surgeons look at us STs as know-it-all "mayo-nazis"... I am glad I came across this thread, though. It has given me an insight into how the "other half" thinks. :)

Cmon. you didnt "come across" a 3 year old thread. You searched for a thread that seems to attack your future profession and found one.

Cmon. you didnt "come across" a 3 year old thread. You searched for a thread that seems to attack your future profession and found one.

Um. Actually I did not. I have too much going on right now to worry about people being negative to other people. I'm sorry you seem to have had such a bad experience but I can assure you that I plan on being one of the best in my field.

My father is a surgeon. I have the upmost respect for surgeons. Or at least I did until I came across some of you...:eyebrow:

When I came across this "3 year old thread", I was actually looking up something for school. And yes, you get grades. The program I am in is actually a very strict program. We will get kicked out for making a C or lower. I went into this field because I love surgery and unfortunately, can not afford to go to medical school like you all. I have a large family and a husband who is disabled. I don't think you should sterotype Scrub Nurses / STs when we are all different.

I plan on adhereing to the aseptic technique to the strictest degree but also working with my surgeons in a respectful and appropriate manner.

Hope your day gets better "Mr Hawkings".

What's a CST? Is that like something healthcare-related that weshould know, or maybe is your screen name implying that you're planning to move to the midwest someday?

What's a CST?

CST is Certified Surgical Technologist (CST)

Surgical technologists, also called scrubs and surgical or operating room technicians, assist in surgical operations under the supervision of surgeons, registered nurses, or other surgical personnel. Surgical technologists are members of operating room teams, which most commonly include surgeons, anesthesiologists, and circulating nurses.

From bls.gov

I'm in my final quarter of school to obtain my associates of science in surgical technology...... We "scrub nurses"....

Don't get me wrong here. I just have a few questions to ask you. If you are in school for surg tech, how can you become scrub nurse? I thought you have to be a RN, learn how to scrub, then you become a scrub nurse.

I am not here to start surg tech vs nurse thing. There are threads about this topic in other website.

On that website there are threads about how unfriendly the surgeons can be too. So interesting for me to come across this thread. Just so you know I found this thread long time ago but decided to make comments today.

Peace man.

Don't get me wrong here. I just have a few questions to ask you. If you are in school for surg tech, how can you become scrub nurse? I thought you have to be a RN, learn how to scrub, then you become a scrub nurse.

Surgical Technologists are also sometimes referred to as Scrub Nurses, OR Techs, etc. We do not go to nursing school. Most of us go to a program such as I am in. The program lasts as long as most nursing programs but deals only with the surgical setting. Once we complete the program, we are qualified to sit for the certification exam (similar to the nurse's "board exam").

A RN can be trained in the surgical area and become a circulator. Some can even be surgical technologist but most prefer to stay in the circulating role. The title for this position is Circulator, Circulating Nurse, etc. This job is to provide support for the Surgical Tech and the Surgeon.

I thought about obtaining my RN but was told by a surgeon friend of mine that doing so would more than likely prevent me from being able to "scrub in" on surgeries. That I would be "stuck" circulating. Which is why I chose to obtain my CST. Now, this may not be the case in your area but it is where I live.

Hope this helps...

Surgical Technologists are also sometimes referred to as Scrub Nurses, OR Techs, etc. We do not go to nursing school

I've never heard of a scrub tech referred to as a nurse. Have a feeling if you referred to yourself as a nurse, the real nurses would have your ass.

I've never heard of a scrub tech referred to as a nurse. Have a feeling if you referred to yourself as a nurse, the real nurses would have your ass.

I do not usually refer to myself as a Scrub Nurse so that shouldn't be an issue. Thank you for your concern though.

I have many many friends and family members who are nurses or physicians. My last intention is to offend anyone.

I am simply letting you know that Surgical Technologists are also sometimes referred to as Scrub Nurses.

I do appreciate your concern with my "ass".

I will no longer be responding to any more posts in this thread.

I was just trying to be helpful but seem to be irritating more people than I am helping.

Hope you all have a great life.

i've found them to be mostly pleasant if you seem to know what you're doing.

Last edited:
I went into this field because I love surgery and unfortunately, can not afford to go to medical school like you all.

Talk about generalization! Can I borrow $250,000?

Um. Actually I did not. I have too much going on right now to worry about people being negative to other people. I'm sorry you seem to have had such a bad experience but I can assure you that I plan on being one of the best in my field.

My father is a surgeon. I have the upmost respect for surgeons. Or at least I did until I came across some of you...:eyebrow:

When I came across this "3 year old thread", I was actually looking up something for school. And yes, you get grades. The program I am in is actually a very strict program. We will get kicked out for making a C or lower. I went into this field because I love surgery and unfortunately, can not afford to go to medical school like you all. I have a large family and a husband who is disabled. I don't think you should sterotype Scrub Nurses / STs when we are all different.

I plan on adhereing to the aseptic technique to the strictest degree but also working with my surgeons in a respectful and appropriate manner.

Hope your day gets better "Mr Hawkings".

Your father is a surgeon and the only reason why you didn't go to medical school is finances, huh.

They warm up to you. But of course, you have to prove yourself. Yesterday my was first day in the L&D delivery OR so of course I had to prove myself, simply stating I had a surgical rotation where I scrubbed in addition to a rotation which was unscrubbed plus cath lab experience wasn't enough. But, when I wasn't scrubbed and was just observing and also getting things for the tech, she warmed right up to me :).

Just act very friendly and do what they say without question. It does take them time to warm up to you.

They warm up to you. But of course, you have to prove yourself. Yesterday my was first day in the L&D delivery OR so of course I had to prove myself, simply stating I had a surgical rotation where I scrubbed in addition to a rotation which was unscrubbed plus cath lab experience wasn't enough. But, when I wasn't scrubbed and was just observing and also getting things for the tech, she warmed right up to me :).

ucsfstudents said:
Just act very friendly and do what they say without question. It does take them time to warm up to you.

This, I don't get. Why should anyone put up with someone whose default disposition is to be petty, vindictive, mean-spirited and obnoxious? What's more, why should I bend over backwards and do favors for them (i.e. "getting things for the tech" or "do what they say without question") just to receive some base level of respect? Yes, students need to be respectful and friendly, but I disagree that they need to be Stepford wives just to have that respect reciprocated.

I went into this field because I love surgery and unfortunately, can not afford to go to medical school like you all. I have a large family and a husband who is disabled. I don't think you should sterotype Scrub Nurses / STs when we are all different.
Don't stereotype all of us. I couldn't afford med school either, which is why my student loans are larger than my mortgage. Federal student loans are available to everyone.

Your father is a surgeon and the only reason why you didn't go to medical school is finances, huh.
I was just going to let that one slide, but I noticed it too.

This, I don't get. Why should anyone put up with someone whose default disposition is to be petty, vindictive, mean-spirited and obnoxious? What's more, why should I bend over backwards and do favors for them (i.e. "getting things for the tech" or "do what they say without question") just to receive some base level of respect? Yes, students need to be respectful and friendly, but I disagree that they need to be Stepford wives just to have that respect reciprocated.

I have to quote myself from earlier in the thread, listed below. I understand that as students we want justice and fairness, but you're simply not going to get it, and the faster you get over it, the better you'll do as a student on a surgical rotation.

From 2009, same thread:

However, I can promise you that the med students that are courteous and leave their egos at the OR sink get a lot less negative attention than the cocky ones that looks like they need to be taken down a peg or two. You also have to remember that they have home field advantage, so you're going to lose most arguments.

Please take this advice from someone whose been through it as a student, and continues to experience it as a surgical resident: You have very little to gain by "standing your ground" and arguing with the ancillary OR staff. Every student fantasizes about mouthing off to the unfair scrub and proving them wrong, but that never happens in real life.

Just accept the fact that the situation is unfair. Your residents and attendings know it. You don't lose points for contaminating yourself. If the OR staff says you contaminated yourself, even if you know it isn't true, just agree and regown/reglove. It will save you a rotation's worth of headaches and will make you appear more mature to the people that are actually grading you.

I'm on a new service every month. I see various CSTs because I'm jumping from institution to institution. I don't mind helping out. It keeps people off my back. If I have to grab a suture from the wall or a pack of sponges from the cabinet, it really isn't a big deal to me. The scrubs stay happy, the OR keeps moving, no harm and no foul.

I'm not a wet noodle and will stick my ground if I find it necessary. I'll often be treated like a child re: what not to touch, where I can stand, etc. To which I remind the tech, nurse or whomever (besides the resident and attending ;)) that I scrubbed several months and know how to keep sterile technique.

Now if I was at an institution for a long time and the tech was malignant, in general, hell no would I be trying to wipe their ass for them.

There was a tech on my general surgery rotation that was awful to students. I would find out if she was scrubbing cases I was in. If so, I just went to another room. Just not worth it.

I LOOOOOVE SCRUB NURSE:love::love:

Just respect their territory and they will love you, first surgery I observed they taught me what all the instruments are called