IM "interviews offered" thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
NEW: BWH and MGH!

OLD: BID, Hopkins, Mayo (Roch), UCLA, UCLA-Harbor, UCSD, UCSF, Cedars-Sinai, UChicago, UWashington

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Invitations: UVA, Yale, Cornell, BIDMC, Johns Hopkins, Brown, Emory, Case, Cleveland Clinic, Maryland, Albany Medical College, Mayo Rochester, University of Rochester, Vanderbilt, Dartmouth.

New: MGH.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
still waiting on Stanford, BWH

Ok I think I'm done with my interview list:

Old : Johns Hopkins, UCSF, Duke, Columbia, BWH

New : MGH

Waiting : Stanford, Penn (sorry, I probably won't go to these anyways)

--- Good luck everyone! :hardy:

OLD
Tulane, UTSW, Baylor-Houston, Mayo-MN, Loma Linda, USC, UCLA-Olive View, Scripps Green/clinic, UAB, Northshore LIJ, Mayo-FL, Mt Sinai-NYC, UNC, Duke, Cedars-Sinai, UCLA-Harbor, University of Washington, AECOM-Montefiore, Scripps Mercy Hospital, Kasier Permanente-LA

NEW
UC-Davis

REJECTIONS
Johns Hopkins, Columbia, UCSF

Ok I think I'm done with my interview list:

Old : Johns Hopkins, UCSF, Duke, Columbia, BWH

New : MGH

Waiting : Stanford, Penn (sorry, I probably won't go to these anyways)

--- Good luck everyone! :hardy:

Are these the only interviews you are doing? Im scared to not have more "backup" programs. Perhaps you are a whole lot more awesome than I.

Are these the only interviews you are doing? Im scared to not have more "backup" programs. Perhaps you are a whole lot more awesome than I.

Yeah, that worried me too before, so I'm just doing a bunch of interviews. About 17 in all. I think despite the whole "8 is enough" thing that when you apply to crazy competitive places like MGH, UCSF, etc you need to protect yourself. And if that means doing extra interviews, so be it.

My list: Vanderbilt, Mt. Sinai (NYC), Georgetown, Duke, Hopkins, UVA, OHSU, UCSF, UCLA, UCSD, MGH, BWH, Kaiser Oakland, Mayo Rochester, U Minnesota, UC Davis, CPMC, U Washington, Stanford

I will axe 2-3 of these along the way. I think that seeing these different places is kind of fun and money well-spent. I bought the suits for a reason. May as well wear them.

And yeah, I caved on the whole "Boston schools waited too long" nonsense.

still waiting on UCSF and BWH.

my interviews: UAB, vandy (research and categorical), UNC, Duke, Stanford, hopkins

new is MGH

will prolly decline ucsd and colorado

Hey all... I am new to SDN... here is my interview list... trying to figure out which ones to decline. Also, I don't go to a great med school, but got 260's+ on my step 1 and step 2, AOA, no research... do I really have a shot at getting into a place like MGH? They have never taken anyone from my school before... I want to be realistic about the number of places I interview at... Thanks!!

Duke
UPenn
MGH
BIDMC
Brigham
Yale
Brown
Dartmouth
Mt. Sinai
GW
Georgetown
UVA
UNC
Jefferson
Cornell
Tufts
BU

If I havent heard from BW and MGH does that mean Ill be rejected?-

Last edited:
New: MGH

Old: UF, Vandy, UNC, Duke, UAB, Emory, UTSW, Colorado, Hopkins, UW, Stanford, UCSD, BID

Waiting (prolly rejected): BWH

Members don't see this ad :)
Old:
Duke, hopkins, penn, cornell, columbia, chicago, ucsf, ucla, uw, stanford

New:
mgh, bwh.

I've declined ucla and uw--thinking of canceling u chicago and keeping the rest. Any thoughts? I guess the challenge would be to identify a "safety" program.

update: UCLA-harbor, NW, UCSF, Hopkins, baylor, duke, columbia, colorado, penn, utsw, ucla, wash u, U of Chicago, cornell, U. of washington, MGH, UCSD

waiting: Emory, Stanford, Brigham

I guess brigham has given all their invites out....

so what are people thinking about duke given they didn't fill their program last year and have a bunch of scrambled intern (our second years)? i have heard they are making a lot of changes...will it be enough?

Old Invites: UCLA, Albert Einstein (Montefiore), Mount Sinai, Northwestern, Emory, UCI, USC, UCLA-Harbor, UCLA-Oliveview, UCSD, Cal-Pacific, Cornell, Mayo-Rochester, Cedars-Sinai, U Penn, Beth-Israel Deaconess, U Michigan

New Invites: MGH, U Chicago

Old Invites: UCLA, Albert Einstein (Montefiore), Mount Sinai, Northwestern, Emory, UCI, USC, UCLA-Harbor, UCLA-Oliveview, UCSD, Cal-Pacific, Cornell, Mayo-Rochester, Cedars-Sinai, U Penn, Beth-Israel Deaconess, U Michigan

New Invites: MGH, U Chicago
You got both of those invites today? Wow lots of weekend invites.

New: MGH, UCSD, UW
Old: Stanford, PENN, Duke, UCLA, Chicago, NW, Hopkins, Baylor, Emory
Big Mean rejections: Columbia, UCSF (anybody wanna trade me for UCSF???)
?Pending rejections: BID, BWH
Declined: UMD, UNC, Cedars-Sinai

New: MGH, BWH!!

Old: UCSF, UChicago, Rush, Wash U, Columbia, Montiefire, Emory, UCLA, UCSD, Yale

Received but declined: UVA, U of M, Kaiser - Oakland...thinking of canceling UCLA, UCSD?? thoughts?

Rejected: Hopkins

Waiting: Standford, UW

Received and planning to attend: Mayo Rochester, Wisconsin, Vandy, Colorado, UW, OHSU, Virginia Mason, HCMC (Minneapolis)

Received but declined: Utah, Minnesota, Michigan, Dartmouth, Vermont, BIDMC

Rejected: UCSF

Withdrew (probably would have been rejected): Stanford, BWH

I applied to 10 programs and have interviews at Santa Clara Valley, Stanford, UCSF, UW, UMich, BWH, MGH and BID. Rejected from Columbia. The only place I haven't heard from is OHSU (which is a program I'm very interested in; family in the area). At this point, should I assume a rejection?

ETA: I see OHSU has been offering invites since early October. Doesn't seem like a good sign.

MCHV
Dartmouth
Maine
Lahey Clinic
BU

Tufts
Yale-Trad & Primary
Baystate
UMASS
Brown

Rush
Northshore

Damn Boston Harvards, no invite, must mean rejection...just go ahead and reject me already! never cared that much...LOL, kind of

:eek:

OMG. WTF. I got a rejection from penn med today. WTF. How in the hell can I be rejected for a medicine interview. I know it's the great (cough) big bad ivy league program, but daym it how the eff can a student who's AOA and has a rediculous step 1 score and great clinical grades including in medicine rotations, not be offered an interview? This is so BS. These ivy leagues piss me off. I mean seriouly all my life I been working hard to may be eventually know wat if feels like to to be an ivy leaguer. I thought that dream would come true finally and then Penn freakin rejects me. WTF. I jus don effing understand. I mean this is medicine we are talkin bt. If it was derm, rads, ophtho, or wateva else, I'd less inclined to care, but medicine? Are you kidding me? You know wat screw freaking Penn and their snobby ass program. FU. I am better off without you, not the other way around. Screw you Penn. Screw you!

Sorry just had to get that off my chest as this was a rejection that came as a huge surprise for me. Anyways, nice work the rest of you on ur invites.

Cheer up!

You're not the only one. I got one too.
The funny thing is I'm an MD/PhD from a top 3 med school, 250+ Step 1, 10 publications, and I got offered interviews from all the programs i applied to -- including UCSF, Stanford, MGH, BWH, Hopkins, Columbia --- but I guess I wasn't good enough for UPenn.

I'm not fretting about this anyways, I was debating whether or not to go to that interview to begin with. I guess this makes the decision that much easier.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
I have not yet heard from MGH, but re-read their "timeline email" which clearly states that all interviews will be offered by November 16th. Should I assume a rejection? It would be nice if they emailed the people they decided not to interview......

Unfortunately Im guessing that if you havent heard yet (I havent either) that its a no go. It would be nice if they would tell us but what can you do. Good luck with your other interviews.

Old: UCLA, Vanderbilt, UW, UCSD, NYU, Mt. Sinai (NYC), Duke, University of Colorado, Rush, UIC, Georgetown, Tufts, Emory, UCI, UC-Davis, Brown, UNC, Cedars-Sinai, BU

New: OHSU

Waiting: NW (wtf?), Univ of Chicago, Stanford, Cornell, BID

Rejections: UCSF, Columbia

can i assume if uw hasn't gotten back to me yet, i'm rejected?

FWIW, I just got an invite from there on friday afternoon, so I'd say all hope is not lost. Plus, they have a number of spots open for interview dates on their pw-protected site, so they must be looking to give out other invites. Maybe just a little slow this year along with OHSU?

I've officially heard back from all my applications:

Interviews Offered : MGH, BWH, UCSF, Stanford, Johns Hopkins, Johns Hopkins-Bayview, Duke, Columbia.

Waiting : None

Rejected : Penn (what the hell were they thinking, seriously?)

Hey all! Did anyone who received an invite on 11/14 and turned in the survey on the same day receive confirmation of their interview date yet?

thanks!

morning, poison.

thanks for posting your question; i had the same. i haven't received a confirmation from BWH yet either and i responded the same day. i guess that's reassuring; unless we both messed something up when sending it in... j/k.

g' luck to all on the trail.

just got stanford this AM!!!

Got:
columbia, UCSF, UCLA, CU, UCSD, UW, Hopkins, MGH, Stanford

Waiting: BWH (well gotta say im still happy regardless)

cancelled: UW, Hopkins

so i guess the itnerviews are still rolling out!! :)

Old Invites: UCLA, Albert Einstein (Montefiore), Mount Sinai, Northwestern, Emory, UCI, USC, UCLA-Harbor, UCLA-Oliveview, UCSD, Cal-Pacific, Cornell, Mayo-Rochester, Cedars-Sinai, U Penn, Beth-Israel Deaconess, U Michigan, MGH, U Chicago

New Invites: Stanford

Cheer up!

You're not the only one. I got one too.
The funny thing is I'm an MD/PhD from a top 3 med school, 250+ Step 1, 10 publications, AOA etc... and I got offered interviews from all the programs i applied to -- including UCSF, Stanford, MGH, BWH, Hopkins, Columbia --- but I guess I wasn't good enough for UPenn.

I'm not fretting about this anyways, I was debating whether or not to go to that interview to begin with. I guess this makes the decision that much easier.

Good Luck!

Wow, that completely sucks guys.

I'm 245+, AOA, lowest of the low tier med school ... rejected JHU, awaiting mgh, yale, and b+w rejections... but I got Penn. There is just no rhyme or reason to interviews when it comes to the top programs.

Ironically, due to family I can't even interview with Penn.

Old: UCLA, Vanderbilt, UW, UCSD, NYU, Mt. Sinai (NYC), Duke, University of Colorado, Rush, UIC, Georgetown, Tufts, Emory, UCI, UC-Davis, Brown, UNC, Cedars-Sinai, BU, Stanford

New: Stanford

Waiting: NW (wtf?), Univ of Chicago, Cornell, BID

Rejections: UCSF, Columbia

Looks like a lot of us are going to be bumping into each other.

Old: SW, Colorado, OHSU, Vanderbilt, Duke, U Chicago, NW, JHU, BWH, UCLA, Wash U, U Mich, U Penn.

New: UW, Stanford

Rejected: UCSF and assumedly MGH

Declined: UVA, UNC, will probably decline Stanford.

In something of a scheduling pickle at this point, considering dropping Michigan and/or Wash U but having a hard time pulling the trigger. Thoughts?

For those above wondering about BWH confirmation: I just talked to their residency office to see if they could confirm anything (to see if my second choice day was available for UW scheduling) and they said they were planning to have the interview schedule done by the end of the week.

Anyone heard back from MGH about interview dates? Hoping to book my flights soon...
Heard from Stanford this AM too, just when I'd about given up hope. What a crazy process this is.

Hi mem141,

nope .... no word from MGH re: confirmed interview dates... maybe by the end of the week?

old mgh, hopkins, ucsd, stanford, unc, duke, colorado, uab, vandy

rejected UCSF (that first rejection kind of stings,eh?)

waiting on BWH (rejection?) email.

this thing is a crap shoot. of all the places i applied, I thought UCSF was one of my more sure bets for an interview. ah well. 9/11 ain't too bad.

Now that MGH/BWH have offered, I wouldn't be surprised if everyone starts dropping programs in a final effort to streamline their interview lists. I'd be willing to bet that up till now, most have held on to almost all their interviews.

Hence the recent offers from Stanford, UW, UCSF, etc.

For all those who haven't heard anything yet (short of rejection), hold out hope! With each drop comes a new spot for someone else.

MdPHdEr, do you happen to go to a school that, say, has PPS on Thursdays 830? I bet I know you!

I think that's an interesting thought. Although Stanford says on their website that they will not begin reviewing applications until the "dean's letter" and the "chairmans letter" are complete. For me, at least it was Nov 1.

If schools are inviting you now, because "other candidates turned them down", doesn't that mean that in their eyes, those candidates to whom interviews were just sent out are the "second-tier" bunch --- in other words, even if you go on those interviews, what are the chances that you will truly be ranked high enough to match there?

I'm curious... Any thoughts?

MCHV
Dartmouth
Maine
Lahey Clinic
BU

Tufts
Yale-Trad & Primary
Baystate
UMASS
Brown

Rush
Northshore

Damn Boston Harvards, no invite, must mean rejection...just go ahead and reject me already! never cared that much...LOL, kind of

:eek:

OOh yeah - rejected by MGH and Northwestern within 1/2 hour of each other - don't really give that much of a s*** though.

New:
MGH
BWH

Old:
UCSF
Stanford
UW
Columbia
Penn

Declined:
UCLA
OHSU
Duke

I think that's an interesting thought. Although Stanford says on their website that they will not begin reviewing applications until the "dean's letter" and the "chairmans letter" are complete. For me, at least it was Nov 1.

If schools are inviting you now, because "other candidates turned them down", doesn't that mean that in their eyes, those candidates to whom interviews were just sent out are the "second-tier" bunch --- in other words, even if you go on those interviews, what are the chances that you will truly be ranked high enough to match there?

I'm curious... Any thoughts?

I was wondering the same thing but I guess once you get an interview, you already have a foot in the door. So, during the interview, it is up to you how much you can impress the other party to open the door wide open to let you in or shut it back up. I guess when u get an interview matters but not that much. Ofcourse superstars who got interview from UCSF etc before dean's letter, they will definitely be ranked high but I also believe that you can make a difference by how you represent yourself during interview. I say it is not over until you get a "thank you but no thank you" letter or until match day. Just my $0.02

I just got my invite from BIDMC yesterday so there is still hope- my theory is that some of these late invites come because the programs probably had filters and if you didn't meet the "top" criteria you are put in a pile for later review (eg I'm not AOA but had lots of other stuff going for me)
So--- now I'm still holding out hope for a late BWH!
As for the opportunity to shine on interviews, has anyone been asked hard questions??? All of my interviews seem to be mostly about the program selling itself to me instead of vice versa which also makes me think they mostly have their mind made up in advance. Anyone else getting this impression? Of course, maybe that's a factor of where I've interviewed so far and won't be the case at say my MGH and Hopkins interviews....