IM "interviews offered" thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Duke came in today

AECOM (monte) came in this past Sunday

And yes this process is totally random... I got interviews at Hopkins & MGH and rejections from UCSF & Penn... so who knows...

Good luck everyone! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

I'm new on this board. But I thought I'd add my list of interviews too.

Offered : Hopkins (home program), Hopkins-Bayview, MGH, Brigham, UCSF, Columbia, Stanford, UCLA, Cornell, Duke

Rejected : Penn, Univ. of MD

Offered, but declined so far : Wash. U, UW,

I just got my OHSU invite, so -- amazingly -- they're still coming.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected : Penn, Univ. of MD,

Congrats on all the invites. I just wonder what Penn is thinking when they reject MD-PhDers from top schools like Hopkins and Penn (who have been offered MGH, BWH and UCSF invites). They must have had a bad experience with a bad resident from those programs, or they must be using some weird filter (alphabetical, zodiac signs etc).

Just thought it was worth commenting on.

several thoughts:
1. maybe they are trying to diversify their classes, and are sick of having all MD/PhDs and AOA people from top notch schools. Maybe they are reaching out to candidates from solid schools with solid stats but varied backgrounds in community service/leadership or other interesting things

2. Maybe they figure if you are that strong of a candidate you will go to MGH/BWH/UCSF anyways and don't want to waste a spot

3. Maybe there is some kind of red flag in the applications of some of these great candidates who are getting rejected. Just because you have 250/250 board scores and are AOA doesn't necessarily mean you have great letters of rec or good extracurricular activities or an interesting personal statement. Its hard to tell without seeing the whole application

I agree. It could be a number of issues. I'm not disheartened by this anyways. I wasn't seriously contemplating going to Penn. I applied there because it's close to home, and it's a 2 hr drive from where I am. My former medschool roommate who's a PGY-3 IM resident at Penn has a number of theories including -- discussions among PDs about where a student wants to stay, all the way to, the possibility that it might have slipped out (by him) that I may not be that interested in Penn.

I'm a bit bummed that I didn't get the chance to at least *see* their program, but it doesn't really hurt.

About the red flag issue, I think this is unlikely, simply because it's difficult to imagine why Penn would be the only program that's red-flagging candidates. Either way, like I said, I think I won't commit suicide over this :D

BTW... Lankysudanese... I think I know you! -- there's only one lanky sudanese guy that I know, who's interested in ID. Your name begins with "H" right? If you are who I think you are, then you most likely already know me too ....

Has anyone received their interview confirmation from MGH yet? They said they would confirm ASAP but I wonder if they are waiting till 11/21 as that was their deadline? Brigham confirmed yesterday.

Just got off the phone with MGH. They're not confirming most applicants until Monday..

Come on guys MGH and BW have had on 3 months to get interviews setup.

I already booked my flight according to BWH. I hope I get my first choice for MGH, or the whole "I already booked a flight" thing might be an issue.

PS: Anyone surprised by how fun interviewing is other than me? It's like med school interviews except they actually like you this time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I already booked my flight according to BWH. I hope I get my first choice for MGH, or the whole "I already booked a flight" thing might be an issue.

PS: Anyone surprised by how fun interviewing is other than me? It's like med school interviews except they actually like you this time.

And don't forget the dinner the night before (at most places) :D

Old: UCLA, Vanderbilt, UW, UCSD, NYU, Mt. Sinai (NYC), Duke, University of Colorado, Rush, UIC, Georgetown, Tufts, Emory, UCI, UC-Davis, Brown, UNC, Cedars-Sinai, BU, Stanford, OHSU

New:
GWU

Waiting on: UChicago, Cornell

Will probably decline: OHSU, Georgetown, Tufts, CU, UCI, UC-Davis, UNC

Old (have gone or will go to these interviews): UTSW, Baylor-Dallas, UW Madison, Case, Cleveland Clinic, The OHSU, U of MN, Mayo, UIC, Loyola, Rush, St. Louis U, USC, U of Iowa

New (will go to these): Wash U, U Michigan, Cedars-Sinai, UC Davis, Stanford

Waiting on: U of Chicago, UCSD

Will decline (have or will eventually): Advocate IL Masonic, St. Francis, Cook County, Kaiser Perm SF, UCSF-Fresno, UC Irvine, St. Joseph (IL), U of Cincinnati, U San Antonio, MetroHealth

Looks like I'm done - very lucky to get the interviews as a 'nothing special' applicant.

Invitations: MGH, UVA, Yale, Cornell, BIDMC, Johns Hopkins, Brown, Emory, Case Western, Case Metrohealth, Cleveland Clinic, Maryland, Albany Medical College, Mayo Rochester, University of Rochester, Vanderbilt, Dartmouth.

Scheduled but canceled:Case Western, Case MetroHealth, Cleveland Clinic, Albany Medical College.

Invited (late....mostly waitlisted dates) but declined: UVA.

Will likely cancel: Mayo Rochester, Dartmouth.

Rejections: BWH - today.

This process is pretty random. Good luck to all!

Last edited:
Anyone have advice on this? Have heard from MGH, BU, BIDMC, and Tufts.
I am trying to decide whether to interview at Tufts and need to figure it out today, I think. How is the training there supposed to compare to the other programs? Is it more or less competitive than BU?

Anyone have advice on this? Have heard from MGH, BU, BIDMC, and Tufts.
I am trying to decide whether to interview at Tufts and need to figure it out today, I think. How is the training there supposed to compare to the other programs? Is it more or less competitive than BU?

Be sure to interview at Tufts if you want to stay in Boston! Awesome program, great PD. BU has gone through some changes and lost faculty, very variable teaching experience, not the best didactics to be sure, rough intern year and beyond. Rotated there considered doing an internal medicine residency at BU, but was not at all pleased with faculty interaction. I would rank the boston programs as:

1. MGH
2. BIDMC (really about on the same level as MGH, both are stellar programs.)
3. Brigham and Women's
4. Tufts Medicine Center program
5. UMass
6. Lahey Clinic
6. BU

Cheers,

Last edited:
Old:
Baylor, UTSW, Duke, WashU, University Washington, Michigan, Mayo-Rochester, Emory, UCLA, USC, UC Irvine, Mt. Sinai, UCLA-Harbor, UCLA-Olive View, Santa Clara Valley, UPitt, California Pacific, AECOM-Montefiore, UNC, Cornell, Cedars-Sinai, Northwestern, BIDMC, UChicago, UCDavis, UCSD, UCSF

New:
Stanford

hey thanks, Nimbius. I'll keep it for sure then.
Especially considering my BWH rejection today...man, bummer to close out the interview offers with that! Sigh.

Hey Nimbius - an interesting list with BWH below MGH and BIDMC. Clearly not based on fellowship placement...can you tell me what criteria you were using to generate it? Admittedly the teaching and attention to the housestaff at BIDMC does seem superb but ranking above BWH (reputedly the most competitive residency in the country in terms of how far down its matchlist it must go) is a ballsy move.

Be sure to interview at Tufts if you want to stay in Boston! Awesome program, great PD. BU has gone through some changes and lost faculty, very variable teaching experience, not the best didactics to be sure, rough intern year and beyond. Rotated there considered doing an internal medicine residency at BU, but was not at all pleased with faculty interaction. I would rank the boston programs as:

1. MGH
2. BIDMC (really about on the same level as MGH, both are stellar programs.)
3. Brigham and Women's
4. Tufts Medicine Center program
5. UMass
6. Lahey Clinic
6. BU

Cheers,

surprised .. but I'll take it! :)

Has anyone heard back from MGH in regard to a date yet? This is ridiculous!
Nope. To be fair, though, they interview 400 people. That's a lot of scheduling for one person considering the invitations were all sent out within four days of each other. Think about it.

heard back from MGH about interviews this Monday

Just received an email from UCLA. They put me on a waitlist for an interview.. I am not really sure what that means.:confused:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureIMdoc80
Has anyone heard back from MGH in regard to a date yet? This is ridiculous!

Nope. To be fair, though, they interview 400 people. That's a lot of scheduling for one person considering the invitations were all sent out within four days of each other. Think about it.

i doubt they interview 400 people as they have only 8 interview days for categorical and they are not interviewing 50 a day, but this is a minor point, i realize.

Hey Nimbius - an interesting list with BWH below MGH and BIDMC. Clearly not based on fellowship placement...can you tell me what criteria you were using to generate it? Admittedly the teaching and attention to the housestaff at BIDMC does seem superb but ranking above BWH (reputedly the most competitive residency in the country in terms of how far down its matchlist it must go) is a ballsy move.

For top programs like MGH, BIDMC, and BWH, you are obviously well trained to get a fellowship wherever you would like in any field of medicine, no question asked. Many graduates of MGH, BIDMC and BWH have also gone on to great careers post-residency. For my rankings I based it more on resident comfort and research opportunities/tracks and quality of outpatient medicine clinics even.

My feel of each program would lead me to rank BIDMC much higher than BWH. My toughest choice was who would be number one between MGH and BIDMC. Everyone is different.

If you are more cardiology bent and get a good vibe when interviewing at BWH then perhaps this would be your number one.

Yeah, I was wondering about the math there too (400 interviews/8 sessions)
When I spoke with the staff person at MGH, she said she was going to let people with earlier sessions know on Monday, and everyone else later, so if you still haven't heard maybe you're end of January?

I appreciate hearing different people's takes on these programs. I guess I'm less concerned with how far they go down their match lists than with the quality of the teaching/rigors of the hospital experience/resident culture etc. I would imagine none of the programs would close any doors for fellowship. Anyway, thanks for the input! Any other perspectives on this would be appreciated.

so i was disputing that they interview 400 IM categorical applicants in 8 interview days. since they have 63 positions total and interview 450 for these positions (7.1 interviewees per spot), then i would assume that they interview around 300 categorical applicants in the 8 interview days for 43 categorical spots, which is what i was talking about and what i care about, since i am applying to categorical.

I dont think its necessary to be patronizing. Perhaps most of us would agree it is always easier for the applicant and secrataries to schedule interviews in real time (calling), and i would have preferred mgh to do this.. IMO, it is somewhat inappropriate to keep applicants waiting 1.5 weeks in the dark about interview dates, particularly when there is the potential that many would have to reschedule other interviews.

FutureIMdoc80 - please calm down. My intent was merely to be helpful and to provide information that many people seem to appreciate. If you feel slighted, then I sincerely beg your pardon. That was not the intention. Good luck, and hang in there....

Hey guys !

Did any one IV at UAB IM yet... ?? Could you kindly share your experience.. Love the program ..want to ace my IV..any suggestions..???

Thanks

PS happy holidays !:)

Athena

Hi y'all

Is there any point to even replying to the "waitlist spot" emails from institutes? The way I see is that if you didn't make the first cut then there is no way they are going to rank you higher than those people who got first round interviews.

Any thoughts??

Thanks.

Yeah, I got an OHSU "invite" today, but they say all there dates are full and to call them to get on the wait list. Seems kinda like a half assed invite.

Old: UNC, Cleveland Clinic, UF, UF-Jacksonville, USF, University of Miami-Atlantis, Mt Sinai-Miami Beach, Florida Hospital, Medical College of Georgia, Atlanta Medical Center, Tampa Heart Institute (DO), Broward General Hospital (DO), Columbia Palm Beach (DO)

New: Duke!

Rejected: MGH, University of Colorado, Yale, Mayo

Hi y'all

Is there any point to even replying to the "waitlist spot" emails from institutes? The way I see is that if you didn't make the first cut then there is no way they are going to rank you higher than those people who got first round interviews.

Any thoughts??

Thanks.

you'd probably have to impress them during the interview. if it's one of your top programs, i would try to go so that you never wondered "what if...?"

Gone or Going to interview: UNC, Duke, UTSW, Baylor-Houston, Mayo-Rochester, OHSU, U Wash, Loma Linda, Tulane, U Alabama, Harbor-UCLA, UC-Davis

Canceled or will Cancel: USC, Cedars-Sinai, UCLA-Olive View, Scripps Mercy/clinic, Scripps Hospital, Kaiser-LA, AECOM-Montefiore, AECOM-LIJ, Mayo-Jacksonville, Mt Sinai-NYC, Mayo-Scottsdale, Cleveland Clinic-Florida.

Are there any programs my "Canceled or will cancel" list that you think might be worth checking out, please let me know?

Thanks y'all and good luck with rest of the interviews :luck::luck::luck:

Last edited:
Mt. Sinai (if this is the one in NYC) is a very good program, ESPECIALLY if you are interested in GI (home of Dr. Crohn and all).

So I guess the new final list will be:

Gone or Going to interview: UNC, Duke, UTSW, Baylor-Houston, Mayo-Rochester, OHSU, U Wash, Loma Linda, Tulane, U Alabama, Harbor-UCLA, UC-Davis, Wash U, Mt Sinai-NYC

Canceled or will Cancel: USC, Cedars-Sinai, UCLA-Olive View, Scripps Mercy/clinic, Scripps Hospital, Kaiser-LA, AECOM-Montefiore, AECOM-LIJ, Mayo-Jacksonville, Mayo-Scottsdale, Cleveland Clinic-Florida.

Here's my final list:

Going to/Have gone to: GW, OSU, U Wisconsin - Madison, U Minnesota, Northwestern, Duke, UNC Chapel Hill, Yale, U Chicago, Hopkins, U Michigan

Interviews but cancelled: UCSD, BIDMC

Rejected: UCSF, Stanford, B and W, MGH

Does anyone have any personal experiences or thoughts about some of these midwestern programs? Especially OSU and Wisconsin? I know that I'm interviewing at some prestigious places, but I think that what I really want is a more laid-back, less hierarchical/formal place to learn....research opportunities are still important to me though, as I do hope to do a fellowship.

Good luck to everyone on the interview trail:)

Here's my final list:

Going to/Have gone to: GW, OSU, U Wisconsin - Madison, U Minnesota, Northwestern, Duke, UNC Chapel Hill, Yale, U Chicago, Hopkins, U Michigan

Interviews but cancelled: UCSD, BIDMC

Rejected: UCSF, Stanford, B and W, MGH

Does anyone have any personal experiences or thoughts about some of these midwestern programs? Especially OSU and Wisconsin? I know that I'm interviewing at some prestigious places, but I think that what I really want is a more laid-back, less hierarchical/formal place to learn....research opportunities are still important to me though, as I do hope to do a fellowship.

Good luck to everyone on the interview trail:)

I know u r asking about your midwestern programs but here is my take on UNC (I have tried to be as objective aas possible):

From your list AFAIK, UNC is really big on teaching and is informal place to learn.. I am not sure about laid back though....the interns usually are near 80 hr work week but still most of them are very helpful (from my personal experience ... others at my program might have had different experiences) ... most rotations, there is teaching and hard work. If you have any specific questions re: UNC I can try to asnwer or ask around inters/residents.

I was surprised to see that you canceled UCSD and BIDMC .. at least I would have chosen these 2 any day over your first 4 in the list (GW, OSU, U Wisconsin - Madison, U Minnesota) .. but that is just me ...

Good Luck :luck::luck::luck:

CanIMakeIt - How come you're interviewing at Harbor UCLA but none of the other LA schools? Just curious about your thoughts on how the programs compare.

Here's my final list:

Have gone/will go: Vandy, WashU, Michigan, Mayo-Rochester, OHSU, Duke, Colorado, Penn, Hopkins, UW

Declined interview: UVA, UNC, NW, UoC

Rejections: none

If anyone is currently at any of the programs I'm visiting, please post or pm some of your thoughts

thanks

I know u r asking about your midwestern programs but here is my take on UNC (I have tried to be as objective aas possible):

From your list AFAIK, UNC is really big on teaching and is informal place to learn.. I am not sure about laid back though....the interns usually are near 80 hr work week but still most of them are very helpful (from my personal experience ... others at my program might have had different experiences) ... most rotations, there is teaching and hard work. If you have any specific questions re: UNC I can try to asnwer or ask around inters/residents.

I was surprised to see that you canceled UCSD and BIDMC .. at least I would have chosen these 2 any day over your first 4 in the list (GW, OSU, U Wisconsin - Madison, U Minnesota) .. but that is just me ...

Good Luck :luck::luck::luck:

Thanks for the feedback! I am very excited about my UNC interview - haven't been there yet. I know that working hard is going to be part of intern year, no matter where I go! I guess by laid back I mean that attendings are approachable, upper level residents are supportive, and the atmosphere is conducive to learning by teaching rather than intimidation or humiliation.

As to some of my choices for where to interview, that has more to do with making my spouse happy than the reputation of the program.