If you have graduate work done can you no longer take undergraduate courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oshie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I have a year of Law school done with grades does that mean I can no longer take undergraduate course? or more specifically does that mean that any undergraduate course I take through like a post bacc program will not be counted in my gpa by medical schools?

any help would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

If I have a year of Law school done with grades does that mean I can no longer take undergraduate course? or more specifically does that mean that any undergraduate course I take through like a post bacc program will not be counted in my gpa by medical schools?

any help would be much appreciated.

No, you can always go back and take undergrad level courses, which will be included in the all important "ug + ug postbac" GPA. It's just graduate level work that doesn't count toward this average.

Yep, and so far as I've been advised by schools, they don't differentiate between postbacc (undergrad level) work and regular undergrad level work, although these are reported separately on the Amcas primary. Generally there's a cutoff for applications to be considered by a school, schools use the combined total GPA for undergrad when they determine which apps to actually look at.

But among students who are within a certain GPA range, it's better to have an upward trend. GPA seems to trump name brand for undergrad schools, although some schools prefer 4-yr colleges rather than community colleges.