if you have a mortgage, can you still apply for student loan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sylvia11

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does having an existing mortgage affect how much student loan (for medical school) you're eligible for?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not a financial aid expert (I'm not sure if we have a few in our Financial Aid forum), but I think secured debt like a mortgage is a different bucket compared to secured educational debt. You should reach out to financial aid officers at the schools you are thinking about.

Does having an existing mortgage affect how much student loan (for medical school) you're eligible for?

No, in the simplest terms. As a more robust answer, it depends more on your credit than the fact that you have a mortgage but, assuming you are current on your mortgage, then it actually makes it easier.

Medical school has larger Stafford limits but when you hit the limit, if you still have financial need you cross over into grad plus loan territory. Grad plus loans are loosely based on credit score but my understanding is that as long as you don't have anything negative on your credit recently, they are pretty easy to get.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)