No longer pre med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hawktux09

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So after a lot of thinking this past semester, I’ve decided that due to the life I want (kids in a couple years, being present, not being in school for 10 more years) I am no longer trying to become a physician. I am thinking I will do computer science. Thanks everyone for the help you’ve given me, and I wish everyone luck!

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
For sure, the medical path is grueling and not everyone can handle it. Good on you for figuring that out, and best of luck. Software engineering is in high demand now and so finding a cushy job is much easier.

Reactions: 1 user
That’s awesome. Congrats. Sometimes I wish I came to that decision in UG lol

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Smart af

Medicine blows
Tbf medicine has significantly devolved in the past 10 years since I started pursuing it. Sped up of course by covid

Reactions: 1 user
So after a lot of thinking this past semester, I’ve decided that due to the life I want (kids in a couple years, being present, not being in school for 10 more years) I am no longer trying to become a physician. I am thinking I will do computer science. Thanks everyone for the help you’ve given me, and I wish everyone luck!
sorry to hear that. I couldn't see myself doing anything else so I chugged along - took 13 years to finish but I am glad I stuck with it

but it must feel good to come to a decision

the best advice I can give is be sure this is what you want - like sorts of no regrets - otherwise you will always keep wondering what if :)

good luck

I commend you. No regrets, but medicine is a really hard lifestyle even if you're in a "lifestyle specialty." I myself am scaling back sort of before I even get started because the toll on my relationship is just too great--and we don't even have kids! So I think it's great to hear that you're doing CS. If it interests you, they need good CS people in bioinformatics and medical informatics. You can work for a private company or work in a lab at a university. Do a search for bioinformatics jobs on LinkedIn. (If you want.) Best of luck and happy holidays!!!

Reactions: 2 users