Are 3 LORs from OMFS necessary for a complete application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Condylotomy

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school only has 1 OMFS on staff. I have him along with another OMFS that will for sure write me decent letters. I have one more surgeon that might write me an okay letter but I wouldn’t be surprised if he said no when I go to ask.

Worst case scenario will programs still take me seriously with only 2 OMFS letters and my research mentor that knows me well? My app is competitive otherwise.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My school only has 1 OMFS on staff. I have him along with another OMFS that will for sure write me decent letters. I have one more surgeon that might write me an okay letter but I wouldn’t be surprised if he said no when I go to ask.

Worst case scenario will programs still take me seriously with only 2 OMFS letters and my research mentor that knows me well? My app is competitive otherwise.
I had two omfs and one general dentist write me LORs.

One omfs was the director of the pre doctoral os clinic.
The other omfs was the chair at a program where I did a 4 week externship.
The general dentist was faculty at the oral surgery clinic.

You don’t have to have all 3 from omfs but I’d try to get at least 2.
I was given compliments during the interview trail that I was given a strong recommendation from my externship. It definitely helps to work hard on your externship and score a strong recommendation from a well known omfs.

Reactions: 1 user