I love SRMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi SRMC411, Your answers are very helpful. We are plannig to come to India to see SRMC. How will you compare American colleges with SRMC?
Hope you did college in USA. Did you miss American colleges? Because it is a stressful time to decide for many people to decide either on USA college or SRMC. How do you compare both?

I have question on Food also. How far is the dinning room from the collge? I am assuming it is far away from the college. If a person doesnot have car Is there any other transportation from college to hostel?

I' was straight out of high school so i didnt get a chance for that usa college experience.. but i did take a couple of college courses in high school so i know what it is kind of like.. India is a whole new different ball game.. you will see that when you come and visit... theres alot of bull**** you have to put of with but in the end all that matters is how much you put in.. If you can get adjusted here, as must nri's do you will be fine... i mean its not america.. but it takes some time getting used to it and its not entirely to bad.. i mean look at the postive side you save 3 years doing med school here.

Food Food Food... sambar dosa sambar dosa alllll south indian food lol.. theres a a gents mess, girls mess, nri mess.. 2-3 other dining places on campus. Subway, Dominos, Pizza Hut all deliver.. i mean again its not America we have options but just limited.. Hostel is a 2 min walk from the college... I bought a car just cause its more convient to have a driver to do all your work for you and its easier to get to the city.. if not theres always autos and call taxi's

Members don't see this ad.

I' was straight out of high school so i didnt get a chance for that usa college experience.. but i did take a couple of college courses in high school so i know what it is kind of like.. India is a whole new different ball game.. you will see that when you come and visit... theres alot of bull**** you have to put of with but in the end all that matters is how much you put in.. If you can get adjusted here, as must nri's do you will be fine... i mean its not america.. but it takes some time getting used to it and its not entirely to bad.. i mean look at the postive side you save 3 years doing med school here.

Food Food Food... sambar dosa sambar dosa alllll south indian food lol.. theres a a gents mess, girls mess, nri mess.. 2-3 other dining places on campus. Subway, Dominos, Pizza Hut all deliver.. i mean again its not America we have options but just limited.. Hostel is a 2 min walk from the college... I bought a car just cause its more convient to have a driver to do all your work for you and its easier to get to the city.. if not theres always autos and call taxi's

dude do you actually save 3 yrs from US MD schools? I mean doesnt it take these kids like 5 years to pass the USMLE's. and those 3 years you claim to save (which no one should believe) gives you the chance to make 130K doing FP in some crap town...instead of staying in the US and doing ortho or rads and making 500 K (money isnt everything but most of these families only care about prestige). but whatever, most of you kids who go there have rich parents who pay 150K up front. and they prob realize that their kids cant cut it in America anyways. medicine isnt easy and if you cant hack it in HS or college, what makes you think you should have other peoples lives in your hands.
sorry this isnt a shot as srmc411. its really for the people thinking about going to India and thinking its a great idea. they need to realize 2 sides of the story.

dude do you actually save 3 yrs from US MD schools? I mean doesnt it take these kids like 5 years to pass the USMLE's. and those 3 years you claim to save (which no one should believe) gives you the chance to make 130K doing FP in some crap town...instead of staying in the US and doing ortho or rads and making 500 K (money isnt everything but most of these families only care about prestige). but whatever, most of you kids who go there have rich parents who pay 150K up front. and they prob realize that their kids cant cut it in America anyways. medicine isnt easy and if you cant hack it in HS or college, what makes you think you should have other peoples lives in your hands.
sorry this isnt a shot as srmc411. its really for the people thinking about going to India and thinking its a great idea. they need to realize 2 sides of the story.

5 years to pass the USMLES? what?

""and those 3 years you claim to save (which no one should believe) gives you the chance to make 130K doing FP in some crap town."

again how? you cant practice if you haven't completed the course even back home... sorry maybe not 3 years... but you do save roughly 2 years which is still alot and plus you save money! its 150 K for the whole program... when i did it it was 100K... 100K for an MD degree? thats a deal right there... High school is and always will be a joke, i agree its nothing like med school... you cant just send your kid to med school and hope he becomes a doctor.. he has to be well motivated tooo.

Members don't see this ad :)
5 years for USMLEs.....?? what is he talkin..?

5 years for USMLEs.....?? what is he talkin..?

i was being sarcastic.
to my knowledge, your program takes 6 years to complete. then i assume it takes about a year to pass your usmles, apply for residency, or do observerships etc. thats 7 years. which is 1 less than 8.
the money you saved by buying your degree is still a lot of money.
but the average srmc or whatever student's earning potential over the next 50 years will always be less than that of a US student.
why? because by going to india youve already closed down more doors than you will admit too. with a US MD degree your options in residency are limitless.
so your example that "hey you save money by coming to india" is incorrect because in the long term, you will pay dearly for it forever.
im done.

hey, i think srmc seems to be a great college... atleast from wat i hear from these posts and family back home...im planning on applying sum time this week (i have all the application forms filled and everything) but i wud still love to see what the college looks like...i even went on youtube looking for some videos of srmc...but no luck really (there was only a basketball game and a few guys on motorbikes) but yea...before i apply i want to see the facilities and campus etc...i wish i had the luxury of coming to india and seeing it for myself but here in canada i have my 2nd semester and i can't leave in the middle. If anyone can post a few pics or maybe a video on youtube or here it wud be really gd :)
thnxx

i was being sarcastic.
to my knowledge, your program takes 6 years to complete. then i assume it takes about a year to pass your usmles, apply for residency, or do observerships etc. thats 7 years. which is 1 less than 8.
the money you saved by buying your degree is still a lot of money.
but the average srmc or whatever student's earning potential over the next 50 years will always be less than that of a US student.
why? because by going to india youve already closed down more doors than you will admit too. with a US MD degree your options in residency are limitless.
so your example that "hey you save money by coming to india" is incorrect because in the long term, you will pay dearly for it forever.
im done.

k fine.on the contrary ....US med graduates have to do their residency(wat min 3 yrs....which ppl normally go fer surgery ie 5 years) after that u ppl will have to get a match.by the 13-14th year,u ppl do will have a 100k+ loans!
wheras an indian student can finish everything(aslo speacializations),get his USMLEs done get a match and settle down...making him/her not only save years but be in par with the docs in US and be stable financially.after settling down the pay is same in a particular region wheather he/she is an american or an indian..(paywise i dont think the int. students will be discrimnated.)
yeah,to get a match it is hard...but u need to work fer it.
it is same as talking bout the MCATs in which most of the americans i know(average) haven't done well..!its all the "hardwork game".!

So whus saving in the long run...?

k fine.on the contrary ....US med graduates have to do their residency(wat min 3 yrs....which ppl normally go fer surgery ie 5 years) after that u ppl will have to get a match.by the 13-14th year,u ppl do will have a 100k+ loans!
wheras an indian student can finish everything(aslo speacializations),get his USMLEs done get a match and settle down...making him/her not only save years but be in par with the docs in US and be stable financially.after settling down the pay is same in a particular region wheather he/she is an american or an indian..(paywise i dont think the int. students will be discrimnated.)
yeah,to get a match it is hard...but u need to work fer it.
it is same as talking bout the MCATs in which most of the americans i know(average) haven't done well..!its all the "hardwork game".!

So whus saving in the long run...?

this is the dumbest garbage I have ever read. you clearly have no clue how any of this process works. either way, enjoy your mistake genius.

everyone has there own opinion

people who i know who have graduated here, have been every successful, getting to the residency programs they wanted too.. and ultimately ending up where they wanted to be.. now making 250k+ at age 29/30.. we start residency at age 24 as oppose to 26/27, not trying to be rude or anything but get your facts straight...

this is the dumbest garbage I have ever read. you clearly have no clue how any of this process works. either way, enjoy your mistake genius.

the above was wriiten by my cuz who is currently in Boston earning not else than 300k.he too graduated from india.
atleast he didnt mention anything like "USMLE-5 years" which lt8 was tried to convey it as a bonehead sarcastic comment.!
Y u so bugged...? leave the indians alone and let them practise anywhere they want....y r they the 1s to feed u..?
continue wid ur education and reach somewhere.

wasting ppls time.

JJ07

hey, i think srmc seems to be a well known college... atleast from wat i hear from these posts and family back home...im applying this week (i have all the application forms filled and everything) but i really want to see what the college looks like...before i apply, i want to see the facilities and campus etc. If anyone can post a few pics or maybe a video on youtube or here it wud be really helpful...
thanks

Hey everyone,
I just came back from India...I went to visit Srmc and Manipal.
I was soo shocked to find out that that Srmc was sooooo different than the website makes it out to be. Also, the only influence that Harvard has on the students at SRMC is that the two "toppers" of the graduating class each year get to spend a month at HMS. Everyone else is not really affected.
I've also heard that they are really strict with NRIs and how they dress and act. There is a distict bias that often puts the locals at an advantage in almost everything, not just grading. I've also met a few NRIs who were initally really excited about srmc, but after their 2nd year things weren't really going as well as they had hoped. They want to come back to the US, but they are obligated to stay b/c they paid 150K.

I really liked Manipal over srmc.

Also, I'm sorry If I have offended anyone in this message, this is just my opinion.

Hey everyone,
I just came back from India...I went to visit Srmc and Manipal.
I was soo shocked to find out that that Srmc was sooooo different than the website makes it out to be. Also, the only influence that Harvard has on the students at SRMC is that the two "toppers" of the graduating class each year get to spend a month at HMS. Everyone else is not really affected.
I've also heard that they are really strict with NRIs and how they dress and act. There is a distict bias that often puts the locals at an advantage in almost everything, not just grading. I've also met a few NRIs who were initally really excited about srmc, but after their 2nd year things weren't really going as well as they had hoped. They want to come back to the US, but they are obligated to stay b/c they paid 150K.

Also, I'm sorry If I have offended anyone in this message, this is just my opinion.

I dont understand the comment about locals have an advantage? expand on that please.

Secondly manipal has been derecognised.

Thirdly srmc campus is top, how can you not agree with that

Members don't see this ad :)
hey thanx guys for actually sharing ur opinions it really helps :)
and yea ive heard of manipal's derecognition (i think its been going on for a long time - more than 2 yrs now) but dont quote me on that..
can anyone tell me more about:
1) Adjusting to srmc?
2) Is it better to do a bsc in canada nd then pursue medicine or spend 150k and adjust to india?
3) How would u compare SRMC to KIMS or any other uni's in india that take NRI's?

Hey everyone,
Also, the only influence that Harvard has on the students at SRMC is that the two "toppers" of the graduating class each year get to spend a month at HMS. Everyone else is not really affected.

whats the advantage of clerkship...cud some1 clear this fer me.?
apart from the two toppers,if someone from the same batch wants to do a clerkship, at their own expenses ...aren't they allowed?

Hey AspiringCardio!
Thanks for your feedback. I was planning on attending either manipal or srmc in july 2008 and i was wondering why you think manipal is better? I haven't had a chance to visit either so any of your feedback would be great!
Thanks!

if anyone can help me out i would greatly appreciate it! please!

I wanted to know for clinics will the students have to learn Tamil? And does the college give its own exam papers or is it a Rajiv Gandhi University affiliated college?

sparkle29 if you need any info pm me

hey guys,
does anyone know how strictly srmc enforces the dress code? are girls only allowed to wear saris and churidhars/salwars?

sorry fellas but as graduate from SRMC i have no clue what you guys are talking about. what facilities? some of the classrooms just got air conditioning, keep in mind just some of them, mainly on the first two floors. there is no internet in the hostels unless its NRI girls hostel. the only way to get internet is to have a feed through a cell phone or the TaTa indicom phone. you can't bring your own text material into the library as it is forbidden(only god knows why).
you want talk about an excellent staff? majority of them are doctors who couldn't cut on the clinical side and horrible teachers. and when you reach your clinical years a majority of the professors think they are god's gift to the world. you say clinical experience is a major plus---thats in all colleges in india, not just SRMC.
you boys have just gotten to chennai. you THINK that since it is a port city that there are loads to do. wait till the second half of 2nd yr through final year, you will quickly realize there is absolutely no nightlife in chennai and if you choose to indulge in whatever is there, you end up breaking curfew.
tell it how is boys, dont be misleading people. thats just not right. you guys sound like you get commission for every NRI that joins.

Truth Betold
truthbetold, you know what?? from reading your posts (in various threads not just this), i don't think you joined SRMC with any intention studying!! if you were focussed you shouldn't have any problems like the ones you have mentioned! and you said that you did most of the studying yourself. i don't know who told you that teachers in university will be like that in high school! university teachers have to cater to a much bigger crowd! and as far as i know, every student knows that before going to university! maybe your high school teachers din't tell you that! why do you complain so much about the rooms? in NRI rooms, you are given the permission to have your own internet facilites. besides, you are also allowed to fit in extra shelves and cupboards! what else do you want? i don't think fitting your own a/c is a big deal at all! and if you have such a big problem with curfew and stuff, you could have rented out your own apartment! if you think american colleges are like what you have in mind, then i suggest you read this book called 'once upon a campus' in which students from different universities in the states taking different courses have written comments about everything in their universities right from dorms to teachers to back stabbing and much more!
whatever you say, SRMC is one of the best medical colleges in india!

and one more thing truthbetold, if anyone is misleading people, it has to be YOU!

sorry fellas but as graduate from SRMC i have no clue what you guys are talking about. what facilities? some of the classrooms just got air conditioning, keep in mind just some of them, mainly on the first two floors. there is no internet in the hostels unless its NRI girls hostel. the only way to get internet is to have a feed through a cell phone or the TaTa indicom phone. you can't bring your own text material into the library as it is forbidden(only god knows why).
you want talk about an excellent staff? majority of them are doctors who couldn't cut on the clinical side and horrible teachers. and when you reach your clinical years a majority of the professors think they are god's gift to the world. you say clinical experience is a major plus---thats in all colleges in india, not just SRMC.
you boys have just gotten to chennai. you THINK that since it is a port city that there are loads to do. wait till the second half of 2nd yr through final year, you will quickly realize there is absolutely no nightlife in chennai and if you choose to indulge in whatever is there, you end up breaking curfew.
tell it how is boys, dont be misleading people. thats just not right. you guys sound like you get commission for every NRI that joins.

Truth Betold
truthbetold, you know what?? from reading your posts (in various threads not just this), i don't think you joined SRMC with any intention studying!! if you were focussed you shouldn't have any problems like the ones you have mentioned! and you said that you did most of the studying yourself. i don't know who told you that teachers in university will be like that in high school! university teachers have to cater to a much bigger crowd! and as far as i know, every student knows that before going to university! maybe your high school teachers din't tell you that! why do you complain so much about the rooms? in NRI rooms, you are given the permission to have your own internet facilites. besides, you are also allowed to fit in extra shelves and cupboards! what else do you want? i don't think fitting your own a/c is a big deal at all! and if you have such a big problem with curfew and stuff, you could have rented out your own apartment! if you think american colleges are like what you have in mind, then i suggest you read this book called 'once upon a campus' in which students from different universities in the states taking different courses have written comments about everything in their universities right from dorms to teachers to back stabbing and much more!
whatever you say, SRMC is one of the best medical colleges in india!
and one more thing truthbetold, if anyone is misleading people, it has to be YOU!

May be I am deviating from the topic here, but would like to know what is the average age of the accepted NRI students at SRMC, Chennai. I mean do you see anyone in their 30's there.

SRMC is nothing when compared to Manipal.....KMC manipal and mangalore are way better than SRMC... Even within India the ratings suggest that KMC mangalore and manipal are leagues ahead of SRMC.....if you are an NRI you might want to go there...I am not getting paid by anyone or anything...I'm a pre med in the US but I think giving people the wrong picture when there is an obvious better option is quite nasty....

I just read another thread by someone who has ben at SRMC and while there are certain thins that the guy talks about which will be problems for American students in anywhere in India....there are other things that Manipal would score on while SRMC will lie sulking...

I am an nri who wants to go to india for med school. I am considering schools in karanataka especially davanegere and belgaum. I plan on visiting India this year. I have winter break from December 20 till january 3rd. I was wondering , are the schools going to be open for touring the campus and stuff. My parents also want to talk with the principle and staff and check out the dorms and stuff so if anyone knows this information please reply asap ! thanks!

Hi Guys,

My name is Ajay and I am from Toronto. I did an undergraduate from University of Toronto but I could not get a seat in a medical college in Canada. I am here in SRMC. And I love it here. It was a little tough to get adjusted at first. But, I am doing something I love and this place gave me a chance to do it.

The atmosphere is amazing here and the student population is also very good. They are helpful and respectable as friends and as future colleagues.

Ajay

is there any ragging for 1st year local students in srmc and what about the college hostel and some say that they say to remove shirts too .....is that true???

I apologise ppl, actually this was my post and I happened to have made it on Ajay's nick....he's right across my room and he was logged on.

Ajay is from Toronto, while I am from Antigua.

Hope this is clear.

Hi Souvik Sen,
I was looking into the AUA program, KMC, SRMC and others. After your experience, which would you advice? I plan on practicing in America.