NRI Thinking about going to India for MBBS in Sri Ramachandra Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I go to India or stay in the U.S. for Med school as a U.S. citizen?

• Stay in the U.S.

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • Go to India.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hike22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Just wanted to say that I'm new to these forums and excuse me if this is in the wrong section (I don't believe so..?). Alright, lets get started.

I'm a student in the United States as a senior (12th grade, high school). I'm currently taking the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma program at my school. I have a perfect G.P.A. (4.0)

I'm at the crucial crossroads of picking where to study. I know I wish to become a doctor but I'm not sure whether to study in the United States (where I currently am) or in India. The particular Medical college in India I'm interested in is Sri Ramachandra Medical College (SRMC) located in Chennai, Tamil Nadu. The NRI fee there is roughly two hundred thousand USD. I also wouldn't need to take the entrance exam as they are still debating about it. My concerns are the atmosphere at the college and the different lifestyle change. I have no idea how the teachers are and I know the infrastructure in India isn't that great. I'm also concerned about coming back into the USA to get into a residency with the new administration changes here in the United States (and yes, I'm a U.S.A. citizen).

Lost as per what to do. Help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The general rule of thumb is to study where you intend to practice. If you want to practice in India, study in India. If you want to practice in the US, you'd be doing yourself a great disservice going abroad straight out of high school. Ultimately, you won't save that much time compared to doing the traditional college, then US med route, and you'll have a significantly more difficult time getting a desirable US residency. This was true before Trump wandered into the White House, and with new med schools springing up in the US every year, it's only going to get harder for foreign residency applicants.

On a personal note, I've seen many people's views and goals in life change tremendously over 4 years in college. I think high school is too early to commit to medicine, most people have barely any exposure to what the world has to offer in terms of careers. My two cents - go to college here in the US with the goal of med school, but also with an open mind to literally anything else. If you still choose med in the end like I did, you'll be better off having ruled out any other job.

Last edited:
Thanks for your input! Appreciate it!

Bump. Any other opinions? Will take everyone's into account.

OP, do not do it! If you want to stay and practice in the US, then go to a US medical school. It is already incredibly difficult for IMGs to match into residency. If you go abroad, then you will not match. I know it's a shorter path if you go to India and you will save alot of money but it is not worth it and you will regret it six years later when you can't get into a residency! I have several friends that went to med school in India after high school and I only know of one that made it into residency and that was only after applying for the second time. Plus Indian med schools will not adequately prepare you for the USMLE. You should plan to go to a four-year college and then apply to med school after.

Hmm, thanks for letting me know.

bump, other opinions also count! Glad to hear from anyone about this matter!

First of all, with a perfect score in IB, if were in your situation would give all my efforts try to get into US med or DO school. Others have already shared the frustration of IMGs to get a residency. Your gain from attending Indian medical school is nothing compared to US DO or Med school.

My friend being an US citizen, graduated from SRM in Chennai, in 2010, passed USMLEs, however, couldn't land even with 1 interview other than psych, and she hates psych.

As much as it may disappoint you, I would highly recommend Don't do it. Your IB score demonstrates you can certainly work hard to build your profile and compete for US schools.

Good luck