I love SRMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ajay_venkatesh

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

My name is Ajay and I am from Toronto. I did an undergraduate from University of Toronto but I could not get a seat in a medical college in Canada. I am here in SRMC. And I love it here. It was a little tough to get adjusted at first. But, I am doing something I love and this place gave me a chance to do it.

The atmosphere is amazing here and the student population is also very good. They are helpful and respectable as friends and as future colleagues.

Ajay

Members don't see this ad.

How do you post pictures on this site, if you don't have a picture already online.

Members don't see this ad :)
tinkerbelle said:
what does srmc stand for?

Sri Ramachandra Medical College..its in Chennai, India..i think.

Yeah. It's in Chennai. I'm trying to get into it. I really hope I do. :confused: :scared:

It's great to hear that it's a good college with a good atmosphere. :) I"m keeping m fingers crossed! :scared:

Suriya said:
Yeah. It's in Chennai. I'm trying to get into it. I really hope I do. :confused: :scared:

It's great to hear that it's a good college with a good atmosphere. :) I"m keeping m fingers crossed! :scared:
Hey,i have a question...Out of so many medical colleges in india,why do most of the NRIs choose SRMC?

I went on to their website, and a few of their links don't work (or are under construction). So I wasn't able to view any pictures of the campus. From what I was able to google, I wasn't that impressed. But if someone can post pics, that would be helpful.

Well,
Beacause it's an excellent College. Deemed by Harvard etc. Also most of the NRI's that go for SRMC are Tamils, and since SRMC is the best in TN (I think) NIR's decide to go there.

Ajay,
What did u do to get in? The Procedures etc. Thanks. :)

ajay_venkatesh said:
Hi Guys,

My name is Ajay and I am from Toronto. I did an undergraduate from University of Toronto but I could not get a seat in a medical college in Canada. I am here in SRMC. And I love it here. It was a little tough to get adjusted at first. But, I am doing something I love and this place gave me a chance to do it.

The atmosphere is amazing here and the student population is also very good. They are helpful and respectable as friends and as future colleagues.

Ajay

Hey Ajay...

I'll double that with some of my feed-ins too..

SRMC is truly one of the best Private Medical colleges in India.
It is gaining so much popularity that NRI seats are being booked a year in advanced and the fees have been upped due to the increasing demand for seats.

The facilities here are outstanding, the student environment is top class and the staff is terrific.

One big plus about SRMC is that it is located in Chennai, which is a metropolitan city with lots to do and a good casualty influx providing good first hand clinical experience. This is a big criteria that many private medical colleges loose out on.

To any NRI out there I would put my money on SMC any day and I strongly recommend that you give it a shot.

Tha

Souvik_Sen said:
Hey Ajay...

It is gaining so much popularity that NRI seats are being booked a year in advanced and the fees have been upped due to the increasing demand for seats.

The facilities here are outstanding, the student environment is top class and the staff is terrific.

One big plus about SRMC is that it is located in Chennai, which is a metropolitan city with lots to do and a good casualty influx providing good first hand clinical experience. This is a big criteria that many private medical colleges loose out on.

To any NRI out there I would put my money on SMC any day and I strongly recommend that you give it a shot.

Tha

Hi

Just wondering if you guys are NRIs who are attending SRMC. Im in my last year of HS and I really want to go to India (partly cause its much shorter there) but I just worried about the ajustment, I mean especially in Chennai (hot n all). I was also wondering what the requirements are to get in.

thanks,

SG

ajay,
just wondering...why india and not europe or the caribbean for medical school? Did you research all the possibilities before going abroad? Do you plan on coming back to Canada/US in the future to practice?

A.

There r many other private medical colleges in India which provide the same facilities like SRMC, manipal for example....n i think its much better than SRMC....but anyways,the choices r yours...All the very best.

thanks
i lucked out in makin tat decision, too late for apps now all seats r taken
i duno thers this other college NRI college, for NRIs by NRIs anywone heard of it? its only 4yrs old.

SG

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright ppl,

I am an NRI doing his MBBS at SRMC currently. However, I am a Caribbean based NRI (from Antigua). My father is an Anaesthesiologist there.

Now if u do happen to keep in touch with Caribbean med schools, u might have heard of the American University of Antigua. My father's collegue is the dean of the Med school there. It's fairly new.

Trust me the standard of med school training is far far better in India, so my Dad was bent on sending me here.

There's also this common fallacy that mainly Tamil NRI's go to SRMC. NRI's of all backgrounds go to SRMC. It is the best private med school in India.

I have made many posts on why it's good so do look them up.

Thank You.

I apologise ppl, actually this was my post and I happened to have made it on Ajay's nick....he's right across my room and he was logged on.

Ajay is from Toronto, while I am from Antigua.

Hope this is clear.

Souvik_Sen said:
Hey Ajay...

Tha

sorry fellas but as graduate from SRMC i have no clue what you guys are talking about. what facilities? some of the classrooms just got air conditioning, keep in mind just some of them, mainly on the first two floors. there is no internet in the hostels unless its NRI girls hostel. the only way to get internet is to have a feed through a cell phone or the TaTa indicom phone. you can't bring your own text material into the library as it is forbidden(only god knows why).
you want talk about an excellent staff? majority of them are doctors who couldn't cut on the clinical side and horrible teachers. and when you reach your clinical years a majority of the professors think they are god's gift to the world. you say clinical experience is a major plus---thats in all colleges in india, not just SRMC.
you boys have just gotten to chennai. you THINK that since it is a port city that there are loads to do. wait till the second half of 2nd yr through final year, you will quickly realize there is absolutely no nightlife in chennai and if you choose to indulge in whatever is there, you end up breaking curfew.
tell it how is boys, dont be misleading people. thats just not right. you guys sound like you get commission for every NRI that joins.

Truth Betold

Do you still love SRMC? Do you suggest SRMC for more NRi's? You joined SRMC in 2005. It means now you must be in 3rd year. Did you face any ragging? How iare the boys hostel facilities? I heard Chennai has lots of HIV patients. Is that true?

i hope he comes on, he hasnt been on for 2 years.

though only 2 colleges (rather brands) are hyped about... kmc and srmc ... there are a whole lot of others nearly as good or better.

Oh SRMC.. SRMC...
everyone has their own experience here, all of which a are different...
I'm currently an MBBS student here, from Los Angeles..

i'm going to get to the point, for everyone who wants to know about this college, alot has been said already that is really absurd by TruthBeTold, damn he must of been thru hell here or whatever... anyways here i go::

Ragging? - haha no NRI will ever get ragged, that never happens here, more likely to the locals here but even that is so stupid, it will be like " go dance" or "get that girls number" But i have yet to hear an NRI go thru even that.

Local Vs NRI Drama "backstabbing": again, no. If your a good friend to others then you have no problem.. its the same as back home.. no one is out to screw you over, theres no backstabbing nonsense... what the hell is TruthbeTold talking about... most NRI's usually hang out with each other since we all live in the same block, but yeah no problem with the local people there all chill, as well. Only funny thing is... gossip... haha that will spread like wildfire people love to talk here about anything, like "oh i heard she's dating that guy or whatver" stupid things like that whatever its india.. thats how we all are lol

Room/Hostel/Internet/Food: As an NRI you will live in the NRI Block. What does that mean?
- good size room with an attached bathroom and a cot and a desk and a place to put your ac
- so your gonna need to buy your essentials A/C, Fridge, Microwave etc.. other people have TV's, Sofas, and i think someone even has a bar in there room lol, you can really deck out your room to whatver you like.. but the 1st day you get there damn its so depressing looking when its all empty, but whatver fix it up and you will be good to go
- Internet: as of 2005 we now have internet capablities. 15K rupees a month get you pretty slow internet and its wired not wifi so your not sharing. Keep in mind that somedays it will go off and on.. ahh gets frustrating but whatever we need are internet right? 1 song = 4-5 mintues.
- Food: ughh dosas, rice, idly, etc all day every day yay! haha what can i say we dont have the best options here, the mess will get old to you quick, pizza hut is here now. Dominos, Subway there too. Food is always an issue here so limited choices, but theres always good resturants in the city...
- Power outages? - hell yea haha.. damn it gets annoying sometimes it always happens during the most incovient times to like when were studying for an exam or what not. Get used to it. I usually just go to the city when that happens and for it to come on..
----> oh yea need to mention this... we have warden's, there really harmless but annoying has hell sometimes. Curfew is at 9:30pm but theres many ways to get bypass that.. but hostel life can get annoying sometimes, if you cant deal with it theres always the option of getting an apt outside, again not a big deal...

Classes/Grading/Teachers:
- classes: they just built new ones in 2005 so anyone who attended here before that time basically went thru hell, TruthbeTold ill give you that ( in there time that had a dinky ass class room with like a fan). The new classes rooms are basically a class room in a theather style format umm around 150 seats or so and theres A/C and most lectures are done with a teacher presting on a powerpoint
- Teachers - im going to keep it simple. Some are good some are bad, some are gonna make you wanna kill yourself some you will learn from.. we all went to high school we know how it is, all teachers are different
-Grading: i cant explain this, really weird here but basically if you read and study properly you will pass. In a nutshell, You get what you put in. I can go on and on, theres alot of bull**** but it all comes down to how well you have read.

Campus Life:
- No Clubs, no Alpha beta Gamma and all that, pretty much boring.... but theres always basketball, tennis, soccer, and of course cricket or you can go take a jog.
-Usually it happens out side of campus things to do like movies, theres a new mall where people go umm resturants, clubs, bars, etc.. traveling is annoying here obviously but if you leave the right timings you will be okay traffic wise.

Fees: when i joined i was 100k dollars, now its like somethings absurd 150k? (dollars weak blah) or some nonsense like that. Choice is yours. Alot of people come here because of there parents.. you can just send your kid here and in 6 years hope to make them a doctor.. you gotta have some passion to become one, or you will not like it here at all.

I gave you guys some Pro's and Con's.. i'll try to get some pics here when i get a chance... Any other questions or anything lemme know :)

whats it like for dental?

Can someone doing or that has done med school at SRMC pls private message PM me on this website?
I live in Illinois and am considering going to SRMC in 2008.
Kris

dental i cant really tell you about... but the hostel life will be the same and the general campus overview is the same as well. B.D.S is lucky they just got there brand new dental block, i havent had a chance to check it out but i hear its much nicer then our college block

what about teaching styles, it is crap powerpoint like here in UK

what percent of students are able to complete USMLE after completing MBBS from SRMC? At present total how many students are there from US?

powerpoint teaching.... no one really pays attention in class really im not going to lie.. medicine is self study as theory is concerned, then in your clinics is where you get your hands on experience..

In the last couple of years i have seen my friends who graduated from SRMC do pretty well on there USMLE's avg score from 85% to 91% and a few 95%+ onwards... i have seen only 2 or so people actually fail it the 1st time.. but then i again you get what you put in.. its all up to you and how you study and how much time you put in..

oh yea there are like over 100 NRI's in our college around 25 per a batch

powerpoint teaching.... no one really pays attention in class really im not going to lie.. medicine is self study as theory is concerned, then in your clinics is where you get your hands on experience..

In the last couple of years i have seen my friends who graduated from SRMC do pretty well on there USMLE's avg score from 85% to 91% and a few 95%+ onwards... i have seen only 2 or so people actually fail it the 1st time.. but then i again you get what you put in.. its all up to you and how you study and how much time you put in..

is it not blackboard teaching.

Thanx 4 th reply. But about the teachers.... do they usually grant extra help to students who ask for it?

Also, how do you interact with patients? Is it necessary to learn a new language?

yes, the professors are eager to help you if you need one on one help, in fact they want you to come up to them if you have any problems or questions with the material...

language? ahah i still dont know a single word in tamil... language is not a problem, for clinicals you can ask one of your local friends to translate or anyone like a professor or pg, its not a big deal at all

95% of the time is powerpoint... occasionally 5% blackboard

Again thxs for the reply. 1.What percent of marks are needed to get admission in SRMC?
2.What percent of people stay in hostel and what % commute from home?
3. I heard that people discriminate against NRIs. Is that true? Being an NRI were you looked down?
4. I heard there is lot of corruption in Manipal. Do you think there is corruption here also in SRMC? I heard people take money to clear the exams. is that ture?

95% of the time is powerpoint... occasionally 5% blackboard

is this for medicine yeah or u tink all courses. when does the course start and finish each year. thanks so much for answering our questions.

Again thxs for the reply. 1.What percent of marks are needed to get admission in SRMC?
2.What percent of people stay in hostel and what % commute from home?
3. I heard that people discriminate against NRIs. Is that true? Being an NRI were you looked down?
4. I heard there is lot of corruption in Manipal. Do you think there is corruption here also in SRMC? I heard people take money to clear the exams. is that ture?

1- high school education physics bio, chem and all ur natural science or whatever they call it at your school

2. 95% NRI's in the hostel. 5% of NRI usually apartments.

3. As an NRI your not really looked down upon, if you know your stuff you will be fine... no one will discriminate against you. theres atleast 25 nri's per a batch so your not alone.
4. NO CORRUPtion in SRMC, you can not pay off your teachers or buy exams.. dosent happen hear though i hear manipal rumors that it does

is this for medicine yeah or u tink all courses. when does the course start and finish each year. thanks so much for answering our questions.

im 95% sure pharm and dental use powerpoints as well, its a standard thing now

if you have the admisssion money and can pay in full, you good to go sad to say lol

Glad to read the whole thread....seems srmc411 is the 1 whose keppin this goin! well done!

I heard that the university sends the best students for clerkship in harvard during the last year of the course...
have a question:
>Is it only for the top 3 students who excel ....or also applicable to the normal students who are willing to pay and go fer harvard???
>and is this clerkship Thing.....can u call this "Graduating from Harvard"?
hope some1 can clear this fer me....!

peace

biguy078

yer thanks to srmc for keeping this thread going.

Is the weather really bad, how do people cope, its worrying me and secondly what about internet facility for nris? is it good or?

the harvard thing is kind of obscure... i have heard of people go to harvard after they finish here but its really rare and really hard.. no one really thinks about that.. i mean honestly you wouldn't be going here if you could get into harvard in the first place right?
so the goal is:
finish up here
do well on your usmle's and see where it takes you from there... alot of nri's seem to do well and end up going to a great place for residency

yer thanks to srmc for keeping this thread going.

Is the weather really bad, how do people cope, its worrying me and secondly what about internet facility for nris? is it good or?

weather?
it gets hot here, it rains here... very random not a big deal
when it rains we usually just chill in the hostel cuz it gets flooded out in the city, then the next day it dries up... its funny actually... not a big deal

internet?
theres internet cafes, our library has free internet... hostel has internet to for 15K ruppeees a year (dsl, how fast??? one song like 5-8 minutes) so not to shabby

IF YOUR DOING BDS in INDIA make sure you check up if its recognized in your state, i know in cali it isnt so they have to do like an extra 2 years or something so it ends up being longer... do your research i dunno anything about bds.. as far as MBBS i can tell you much more

Thanks for all the answers. I would like to know how much vacation do they give while doing MBBS?

two major breaks:

1) Winter Break: officially its really 2 weeks off
but almost all NRI's take like a month off, the college dosent mind really

2) then MAY break, all of MAY is off thats basically your summer break..

then theres a bunch of random holidays throughout the year.

hi,

I am also doing my undergrad engineering from UofT . I planning to go SRMC wat the tution fee like??They don't take any of University credits into consideration right? How do compare SRMC to UofT.The stress , depression and study material?? I find UofT to be stressful ... So any comparision, would be greatly appreciated.

hi ajay,

I am also doing my undergrad engineering from UofT . I planning to go SRMC wat the tution fee like??They don't take any of University credits into consideration right? How do compare SRMC to UofT.The stress , depression and study material?? I find UofT to be stressful ... So any comparision, would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Ajay and SRMC411,
This thread has been super helpful so far...thanks!!
I am a senior in HS and I really really want to go to SRMC, I'm going 2 India to visit and pay in 2 days. I was wondering if there is any sort of payment plan. Because my parents really can't afford to pay $150,000 in one payment.
Also, are there people at SRMC that can 'guide' you through the USMLEs and applying to residencies in the US, or are you all on your own?
Once again...thanks ALOT!!

Hi Ajay and SRMC411,
This thread has been super helpful so far...thanks!!
I am a senior in HS and I really really want to go to SRMC, I'm going 2 India to visit and pay in 2 days. I was wondering if there is any sort of payment plan. Because my parents really can't afford to pay $150,000 in one payment.
Also, are there people at SRMC that can 'guide' you through the USMLEs and applying to residencies in the US, or are you all on your own?
Once again...thanks ALOT!!

I took ur suggestion's and googled SRMC+ Fee . To my suprise I found a answer: I don't think u have to pay 150k upfront

I'm glad that worked for you Canbrat.

I'm soo scared right now, I've gotten into a few good (but not awsome) schools here for pre-med, (Stony Brook, Mitch. State, Worcester Poly-Tech, Brandeis, Northeastern...) but I want to go to SRMC.
As I mentioned earlier, I'm going to India to see both Manipal/KMC as well as SRMC.

Is there anything that any of you suggest that I do while I'm there, that may be beneficial to me if I decided to go there? tips/advice on talking to the ppl there?

its 150K upfront.. when i joined it was 100K i got to pay in installments.. actually if you talk to the registrar... and if your are seriously considering SRMC.. they can prob work out a payment plan... i seen so many people do that..

I'm glad that worked for you Canbrat.

I'm soo scared right now, I've gotten into a few good (but not awsome) schools here for pre-med, (Stony Brook, Mitch. State, Worcester Poly-Tech, Brandeis, Northeastern...) but I want to go to SRMC.
As I mentioned earlier, I'm going to India to see both Manipal/KMC as well as SRMC.

Is there anything that any of you suggest that I do while I'm there, that may be beneficial to me if I decided to go there? tips/advice on talking to the ppl there?

for SRMC: sit in on one of the classes see how you like it... check out the hostel environment see if you are ready to adjust to it.. its a big change coming from the US...

Hi SRMC411, Your answers are very helpful. We are plannig to come to India to see SRMC. How will you compare American colleges with SRMC?
Hope you did college in USA. Did you miss American colleges? Because it is a stressful time to decide for many people to decide either on USA college or SRMC. How do you compare both?

I have question on Food also. How far is the dinning room from the collge? I am assuming it is far away from the college. If a person doesnot have car Is there any other transportation from college to hostel?