Hubby-Wife both doctors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

priyanka

Neuro-tic
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do these relationships usually work among indians? Or is it better that, if one is a doctor, the other should be in a lighter profession?

Do doctor guys prefer non doctor girls?

Just curious how it works among the indian community..

Members don't see this ad.

You know what, there are pros and cons to having both partners as doctors, because you want to look at it from the kids perspective. If both are physicians, then the kid doesn't get much parenting time or attention a kid with a parent not in the health care world.

A pro for the partners is that they would understand eachother's days, and the hassles they would go through dealing with the long hours, strenuous schedules, and at times, annoying patients (check out the Dr.'s Lounge to see what I'm talking about).

I can't really say whether or not I'd want to have my wife to be outside or in the healthcare field. It's not like I'm dead set on one profession for my wife, but both sides need to understand what the other goes through.

rambling........

sunny123 said:
You know what, there are pros and cons to having both partners as doctors, because you want to look at it from the kids perspective. If both are physicians, then the kid doesn't get much parenting time or attention a kid with a parent not in the health care world.

A pro for the partners is that they would understand eachother's days, and the hassles they would go through dealing with the long hours, strenuous schedules, and at times, annoying patients (check out the Dr.'s Lounge to see what I'm talking about).

I can't really say whether or not I'd want to have my wife to be outside or in the healthcare field. It's not like I'm dead set on one profession for my wife, but both sides need to understand what the other goes through.

rambling........
we all know that your wife must be able to stand your sitar otherwise all hell brakes loose. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
priyanka said:
Do these relationships usually work among indians? Or is it better that, if one is a doctor, the other should be in a lighter profession?

These are none of my beliefs but a doctor women in southern india and in sri lanka is supposed to be a bad wife. In the sense that she can not fullfill all the duties as a housewife would. I know too many guys who much rather enjoy having a wife who looks after them. But then there are the few guys who enjoy the women being smarter hence they want to be whipped. I am generalizing but this is true. I actually want a wife who is smart, not to be whipped but to make decisions for me since i can't make one at all. :D . I don't know for sure if most guys now a days think prefer non doctor girls. I think it is more of their attitude? I mean its a great thing to be a doctor but sometimes their ego can be waaaay up there, if you know what i mean. Now a days there are more men who want to stay home and look after the kids so that arguement about uncles and aunties' beliefs about doctor women is flawed.

priyanka said:

Doctors r such accomplished ppl... what does it matter what anyone thinks? Do we have to subject this also to Indian customs? Okay, let me start: I want a tall, fair, Indian lady doc (right caste, right horoscope) of course. Dowry negotiatiable. Any takers?

HistoRocks said:
Doctors r such accomplished ppl... what does it matter what anyone thinks?
Being a doctor is not the be all and end all of occupations. One can be accomplished in a variety of fields.

HistoRocks said:
Doctors r such accomplished ppl... what does it matter what anyone thinks? Do we have to subject this also to Indian customs? Okay, let me start: I want a tall, fair, Indian lady doc (right caste, right horoscope) of course. Dowry negotiatiable. Any takers?
Omg your one of those dowry guys? :eek:

data said:
Being a doctor is not the be all and end all of occupations. One can be accomplished in a variety of fields.

True, but it seems everyone has a special admiration for doctors. Kind of the same admiration reserved for gurus & saints. I am not saying the patient will write bhajans for his HMO after a good recovery, but anyone in need in will always appreciate what a doctor does... can you say the same about anyone else (in the non-medical professions') workday? I am sure many in non-medical professions enjoy their work, but rarely does the world bow to them in reverence.

data said:
Omg your one of those dowry guys? :eek:

Not at all! Tall, fair, friendly, & educated is enough for me. The first two seem harder and harder to find, but I wouldn't compromise on the last two.

HistoRocks said:
True, but it seems everyone has a special admiration for doctors. Kind of the same admiration reserved for gurus & saints. I am not saying the patient will write bhajans for his HMO after a good recovery, but anyone in need in will always appreciate what a doctor does... can you say the same about anyone else (in the non-medical professions') workday? I am sure many in non-medical professions enjoy their work, but rarely does the world bow to them in reverence.
I bow to my parents in reverence. I bow to the people who do so much seva in reverence. I bow to architechs that do their job so wellanardhan says:
I bow to my parents in reverence. I bow to the people who do so much seva in reverence. I bow to architechs that do their job so well that millions survived earth quakes. I bow to construction workers when paving the highways or i would of crashed my car and ended up dead. I bow to business men who donate almost 80% of their salary to help those in need in war ridden countries. I bow to the soildiers who fight for hte freedom. There aren't bhajans on doctors there are bhajans on fighters those who stood up for freedom vishnu/shiva both took forms to help us free from demons. There are thousands of jobs out there and all are in need of praise. From the guy who picks our garbage to a guy who runs the country. Every job is equally important and everyjob is need of equal praise.

HistoRocks said:

So you say no need to subject to Indian customs, then you take every Indian stereotype and put it down on paper: dowry, caste, horoscope, fair, tall. You sound like you are straight out of the village.

FYI, dowry is illegal even in India ... why? Because it is morally wrong. Not that anyone cares; we all know it goes on all the time.

Anyway, I don't know how many of you are actually doctors or are married, but many many MDs do marry other MDs. You get brainwashed in med school to only be able to talk about medicine. It is nice to have an MD spouse to come home to and discuss what happened throughout the day. On the other hand, it's nice to have a non-MD spouse to keep you from talking only about medicine 24/7. What Sunny said about having time for the kids is totally true.

data said:
I bow to my parents in reverence. I bow to the people who do so much seva in reverence. I bow to architechs that do their job so wellanardhan says:
I bow to my parents in reverence. I bow to the people who do so much seva in reverence. I bow to architechs that do their job so well that millions survived earth quakes. I bow to construction workers when paving the highways or i would of crashed my car and ended up dead. I bow to business men who donate almost 80% of their salary to help those in need in war ridden countries. I bow to the soildiers who fight for hte freedom. There aren't bhajans on doctors there are bhajans on fighters those who stood up for freedom vishnu/shiva both took forms to help us free from demons. There are thousands of jobs out there and all are in need of praise. From the guy who picks our garbage to a guy who runs the country. Every job is equally important and everyjob is need of equal praise.

Not everyone can do every job. It sounds simple, a doctor alleviates pain, but an amazing amount of skill is required (need I say). If you look at homeopathic medicine, its the same story. The practitioner will have an extensive knowledge of herbal remedies. I am not a doctor myself, but from what I understand, experience is also quite important. Its one to thing to read about a disease, another to have seen it live. Or just think about an OR - the well-experienced chief surgeon down to the resident. So becoming a good doctor requires a great time committment (sorry for sounding obvious). Can the same thing be said about a buisnessmen? Hell no. Look at Bill Gates. The man did not become a billionare by observing his superiors at a computer company. He found a product that was sorely lacking on the market, and then he founded Microsoft to market it. Thats how a buisness works; seize the opportunity, sell the product. Years of toil and drudgery are not required. Architecture - okay, I have friends who are architects. This too is not as difficult as it sounds. Soldiers - I personally, am opposed to all killing. We could have a Mahabharata debate about the inevitably of the soldier profession, but shall I say that not much skill, and a lot of hate/fear/ignorance is required to become a soldier (how else you can kill someone). Unless of course you are fighting for Ram or Sita, but thats a different story; these days ppl fight wars for Bush and Kashmir. Now compare all these professions to the medical profession. I don't know of any doctors who are after money for money's sake. Manual labor? Maybe for the psychiatrists. :laugh: Difficulty? Certainly; you have to give yourself up totally, isn't it. My uncle who is 60 still does 48 hr days sometimes; what architect can say the same? Hate/fear/ignorance? Certainly not. So you see... maybe the different professions gives society some cohesiveness (yes, the doctor can drive home in his car designed by automative engineer, to the house designed by an architect, on the way picking up food grown by the farmer, etc), but the doctor's profession nevertheless requires more skill than all these others. Take away the farmer, and all the doctor has to do is a plant a few things in his backyard. Is the car absolutely necessary? No. Architect? No. The doctor could take some wood and build a cabin. Now if any of these ppl were ill, who would they go to?

retroviridae said:
So you say no need to subject to Indian customs, then you take every Indian stereotype and put it down on paper: dowry, caste, horoscope, fair, tall. You sound like you are straight out of the village.

FYI, dowry is illegal even in India ... why? Because it is morally wrong. Not that anyone cares; we all know it goes on all the time.

Anyway, I don't know how many of you are actually doctors or are married, but many many MDs do marry other MDs. You get brainwashed in med school to only be able to talk about medicine. It is nice to have an MD spouse to come home to and discuss what happened throughout the day. On the other hand, it's nice to have a non-MD spouse to keep you from talking only about medicine 24/7. What Sunny said about having time for the kids is totally true.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Fair & tall, every guy wants this (sorry, its a fact of life). Lets be honest about that. Horoscope and dowry depend on the individual & his/her family. Many well-to-do families still go for this (especially horoscope). I don't see anything wrong with it - especially if you consider that the man is taking care of the woman for the rest of his life. Then again, I don't have a preference. But if I grew up in India, I can understand ppl having the preference, as its an old custom.

Yes, doctors should know their stuff well, don't you think? Imagine if the doctor went out and partied... next day went to work, imagine the possibility for a misdiagnosis. Its very good that doctors are so devoted to their work (even 24/7), it will impact positively on the patient. Its also a good influence on the children.

Members don't see this ad :)
HistoRocks said:
Every job may be of equal importance, but not everyone can do every job. It sounds simple, a doctor alleviates pain, but an amazing amount of skill is required (need I say). If you look at homeopathic medicine, its the same story. The practitioner will have an extensive knowledge of herbal remedies. I am not a doctor myself, but from what I understand, experience is also quite important. Its one to thing to read about a disease, another to have seen it live. Or just think about an OR - the well-experienced chief surgeon down to the resident. So becoming a good doctor requires a great time committment (sorry for sounding obvious). Can the same thing be said about a buisnessmen? Hell no. Look at Bill Gates. The man did not become a billionare by observing his superiors at a computer company. He found a product that was sorely lacking on the market, and then he founded Microsoft to market it. Thats how a buisness works; seize the opportunity, sell the product. Years of toil and drudgery are not required. Architecture - okay, I have friends who are architects. This too is not as difficult as it sounds. Soldiers - I personally, am opposed to all killing. We could have a Mahabharata debate about the inevitably of the soldier profession, but shall I say that not much skill, and a lot of hate/fear/ignorance is required to become a soldier (how else you can kill someone). Unless of course you are fighting for Ram or Sita, but thats a different story; these days ppl fight wars for Bush and Kashmir. Now compare all these professions to the medical profession. I don't know of any doctors who are after money for money's sake. Manual labor? Maybe for the psychiatrists. :laugh: Difficulty? Certainly; you have to give yourself up totally, isn't it. My uncle who is 60 still does 48 hr days sometimes; what architect can say the same? Hate/fear/ignorance? Certainly not. So you see... maybe the different professions gives society some cohesiveness (yes, the doctor can drive home in his car designed by automative engineer, to the house designed by an architect, on the way picking up food grown by the farmer, etc), but the doctor's profession nevertheless requires more skill than all these others. Take away the farmer, and all the doctor has to do is a plant a few things in his backyard. Is the car absolutely necessary? No. Architect? No. The doctor could take some wood and build a cabin. Now if any of these ppl were ill, who would they go to?
First, Bill gates took windows from steve jobs. Windows platform is based on apple os. Every job has their own skill. I don't understand why you are stating the most obvious facts but on the other hand you are twisting some facts to make it seem as if everyone is well below the prof of a doctor. When in fact that it is not so easy to grow crop for the nation. How can a doctor feed its patients? Its obvious that farmers help doctors in a big way. And then businessmen help out with the transportation and selling of these food to the hospitals. A lot of skill is required for soldiers/police/firefighters. Cause with every false step could create a disaster. If you haven't served in a batallion , you would not want a ghadha like yourself in your squad, someone with no skills. Have you sat in the doctors lounge and heard them talk about where they should be investing their money, in a diff tax bracket, where to go for top resorts. Your uncle must be living on mars cause here we have 24hr days. I don't understand your entire arguement with architech. You obviously you don't know too much so come back when you passed A level exam. Do you not know the complexities to design anything in the world? you haven't gone through engineering. My brother is in this and trust me no doctor can comprehend how to design a car. When you become a doctor, don't expect your patients for worship the dust off your feet for curing their cold. Is a car necessary for life? huh? are you going to take sunny123's rickshaw to work?

HistoRocks said:
Sorry for the misunderstanding. Fair & tall, every guy wants this (sorry, its a fact of life). Lets be honest about that. Horoscope and dowry depend on the individual & his/her family. Many well-to-do families still go for this (especially horoscope). I don't see anything wrong with it - especially if you consider that the man is taking care of the woman for the rest of his life. Then again, I don't have a preference. But if I grew up in India, I can understand ppl having the preference, as its an old custom.

Yes, doctors should know their stuff well, don't you think? Imagine if the doctor went out and partied... next day went to work, imagine the possibility for a misdiagnosis. Its very good that doctors are so devoted to their work (even 24/7), it will impact positively on the patient. Its also a good influence on the children.
What nonsense are you talking about? You obviously are obsessed with skin colour. Not every guy thinks about fair and tall women, open your eyes and you might see some beutiful brown women. And a guy is gonna be taking care of a women for the rest of his life??? Where did you come from??

You really should modify your point of view on gender relations before stepping out into the real world.

data said:
First, Bill gates took windows from steve jobs. Windows platform is based on apple os. Every job has their own skill. I don't understand why you are stating the most obvious facts but on the other hand you are twisting some facts to make it seem as if everyone is well below the prof of a doctor. When in fact that it is not so easy to grow crop for the nation. How can a doctor feed its patients? Its obvious that farmers help doctors in a big way. And then businessmen help out with the transportation and selling of these food to the hospitals. A lot of skill is required for soldiers/police/firefighters. Cause with every false step could create a disaster. If you haven't served in a batallion , you would not want a ghadha like yourself in your squad, someone with no skills. Have you sat in the doctors lounge and heard them talk about where they should be investing their money, in a diff tax bracket, where to go for top resorts. Your uncle must be living on mars cause here we have 24hr days. I don't understand your entire arguement with architech. You obviously you don't know too much so come back when you passed A level exam. Do you not know the complexities to design anything in the world? you haven't gone through engineering. My brother is in this and trust me no doctor can comprehend how to design a car. When you become a doctor, don't expect your patients for worship the dust off your feet for curing their cold. Is a car necessary for life? huh? are you going to take sunny123's rickshaw to work?

Farmers help doctors in a big way? Okay, can I make a suggestion to you. Have you tried growing your own food? My mother used to grow green chillies, tomatoes, onions, etc. Compared to the genetically engineered stuff at the grocery store, the taste was like heaven. I know how farming in America works. Everything is mass-produced using the latest in technology, from a crop-duster to God knows what else. No one is pulling the ox through the field. No farmer in America is working from sun rise to sun down. Drive past farmland, and you will be lucky to even see a farmer out in the field. These ppl also treat their animals and plants like experimental products. Like I said, if you have every grown ur own vegetables, you will know the difference between inorganic and organic. Conclusion? Farmer who mass produces is living a luxury life, tks to genetic engineering and government subsidies. I have much more respect for an Indian farmer who works without all these luxuries and makes an honest profit (even though the crop yield may be less).

Buisnessmen help out with transportation of foods? Of course, that is their buisness. But how much does the driver make compared to the CEO? Is the driver less important than the CEO? This is how the buisness works, by promising promotions, or throwing a scrap here and there... if everyone were paid the same, the buisness would not exist. Its this inequality that makes capitalism so efficient.

Soldiers/police - these ppl cause more trouble than anything else. These ppl put a gun to everyone's head, and expect the fear to do its dirty work. Doctors end up cleaning the mess. What regiment? I have taken sociology; ppl are more prone to engage in certain types of criminal behavior when in a group than alone. That prison scandal in Iraq is a good example. A few guys forced the prisoners to make a pyramid, some other guys posed, and one or two stood ready with the cameras. Thats all soldiers are good for, my friend.

48 hr days - I was referring to the workday. Yes, yes, doctors may sit in the lounge and talk about the next vacation, but the doctor will return to save more lives, isn't it? Thats all that matters. The doctor is entitled to a few luxuries once in a while, is he not? Compare with politicians, who are 24/7 cheating and scamming millions of ppls with their lies. Engineering - I have great respect for engineers. But as I said, cars are not absolutely necessary. Ask yourself which century the car was invented in. Doctors and just about everything else came before cars.

^ I don't think you respect any of these professions. WHY? cause you think you are better than them.

HistoRocks said:
Farmers help doctors in a big way? Okay, can I make a suggestion to you. Have you tried growing your own food? My mother used to grow green chillies, tomatoes, onions, etc. Compared to the genetically engineered stuff at the grocery store, the taste was like heaven. I know how farming in America works. Everything is mass-produced using the latest in technology, from a crop-duster to God knows what else. No one is pulling the ox through the field. No farmer in America is working from sun rise to sun down. Drive past farmland, and you will be lucky to even see a farmer out in the field. These ppl also treat their animals and plants like experimental products. Like I said, if you have every grown ur own vegetables, you will know the difference between inorganic and organic. Conclusion? Farmer who mass produces is living a luxury life, tks to genetic engineering and government subsidies. I have much more respect for an Indian farmer who works without all these luxuries and makes an honest profit (even though the crop yield may be less).

Buisnessmen help out with transportation of foods? Of course, that is their buisness. But how much does the driver make compared to the CEO? Is the driver less important than the CEO? This is how the buisness works, by promising promotions, or throwing a scrap here and there... if everyone were paid the same, the buisness would not exist. Its this inequality that makes capitalism so efficient.

Soldiers/police - these ppl cause more trouble than anything else. These ppl put a gun to everyone's head, and expect the fear to do its dirty work. Doctors end up cleaning the mess. What regiment? I have taken sociology; ppl are more prone to engage in certain types of criminal behavior when in a group than alone. That prison scandal in Iraq is a good example. A few guys forced the prisoners to make a pyramid, some other guys posed, and one or two stood ready with the cameras. Thats all soldiers are good for, my friend.

48 hr days - I was referring to the workday. Yes, yes, doctors may sit in the lounge and talk about the next vacation, but the doctor will return to save more lives, isn't it? Thats all that matters. The doctor is entitled to a few luxuries once in a while, is he not? Compare with politicians, who are 24/7 cheating and scamming millions of ppls with their lies. Engineering - I have great respect for engineers. But as I said, cars are not absolutely necessary. Ask yourself which century the car was invented in. Doctors and just about everything else came before cars.
Where are you from?? How can you simplify every single profession and use the most ridiculous examples? Your rational of ideology is either:

a) Idiotic
- Watching your mother grow a few chillies in her garden does not equate it to the agricultural industry. Why don't you live on a farm and observe what these people do in order to fill your belly. Nothing is mass produced unless you have the man-power to back it up. Farmers use their entire families to maintain the daily activities that are needed to be performed in order to make sure they are able to produce crop that is both healthy and bountiful.

b) ******ed
- using one example of American troops being jackasses does not make them entriely good for nothing. You wouldn't be alive if there were soldiers that had fought during WWII. I mean come on, use some more common sense than that. One must be physically fit, and of sound mind to be able to carry out missions. There are people on this very forum who have immediate family serving in the Indian military, and would not take kindly to your obtuse thinking.
- On the issues of physicians... have you never read about physicians cheating the HMOs or insurance companies, been exposed of fraud and sexual abuse??? Open up the paper and get yourself up to speed before trying to keep the MD on a gold shrine.

so which is it?

sunny123 said:
What nonsense are you talking about? You obviously are obsessed with skin colour. Not every guy thinks about fair and tall women, open your eyes and you might see some beutiful brown women. And a guy is gonna be taking care of a women for the rest of his life??? Where did you come from??

You really should modify your point of view on gender relations before stepping out into the real world.

Like I said, this is the popular view. Certainly, there are beautiful brown women; but the common preference is for tall and fair. This is the Indian male preference. Plz, plz, show me a Hindi film where the heroine is dark, brown, & short. Yes, the guy will take of the women... this is what the Vedas teach, this is what my parents taught me. If robbers broke into the home, who would defend whom?

HistoRocks said:
Like I said, this is the popular view. Certainly, there are beautiful brown women; but the common preference is for tall and fair. This is the Indian male preference. Plz, plz, show me a Hindi film where the heroine is dark, brown, & short. Yes, the guy will take of the women... this is what the Vedas teach, this is what my parents taught me. If robbers broke into the home, who would defend whom?
In mirch masala the heroine is dark short and beautiful.

HistoRocks said:
I'm assuming you create your ideology based on Bollywood films? You want me to show you where the heroine is not fair? Watch Lagaan, Fire & Earth 1947, and any movie with that girl Bipasha Basu.

What does robbers breaking into your house have to do with anything with colour?

HistoRocks said:
Robbers, i'll wait for prady to laugh at this nonsense.

Disturbing that commercial cinema is used to project a viewpoint :thumbdown:

Life's not like that bud. you are in for a shocker if that is what you base things on.

It is more about compatability. Being a doctor is challenging - you want someone who appreciates your hard work and vice-versa.

AS for me, I know I am ambitious and wish to do lot more with my medical school education. hence, I need someone who respects my ambition and at the same time give her the freedom to fulfill her own dream - smart , independent and mentally and emotionally tough.

Of course light hearted too. :laugh:

sunny123 said:
Where are you from?? How can you simplify every single profession and use the most ridiculous examples? Your rational of ideology is either:

a) Idiotic
- Watching your mother grow a few chillies in her garden does not equate it to the agricultural industry. Why don't you live on a farm and observe what these people do in order to fill your belly. Nothing is mass produced unless you have the man-power to back it up. Farmers use their entire families to maintain the daily activities that are needed to be performed in order to make sure they are able to produce crop that is both healthy and bountiful.

b) ******ed
- using one example of American troops being jackasses does not make them entriely good for nothing. You wouldn't be alive if there were soldiers that had fought during WWII. I mean come on, use some more common sense than that. One must be physically fit, and of sound mind to be able to carry out missions. There are people on this very forum who have immediate family serving in the Indian military, and would not take kindly to your obtuse thinking.
- On the issues of physicians... have you never read about physicians cheating the HMOs or insurance companies, been exposed of fraud and sexual abuse??? Open up the paper and get yourself up to speed before trying to keep the MD on a gold shrine.

so which is it?

(a) I gave the example of my mother growing vegetables to point out the very real possibility of self-sustenance. Most farmers in the US mass produce. And mass producing is an easy job. Any one can operate a crop-duster, for example. You call the food healthy. I beg to differ. Why is there a seperate section in the food store for organic vegetables? Let me ask you... what would happen if we gave growth hormone in huge doses to humans? Innumerable diseases would result. So why give it to animals? Because the animals will grow fatter, taller, or reproduce like mad. And because the animal will be killed anyway.

(b) True, the Gurkhas who fought for the British regiments were without match. But I am sure King Ashoka, who renounced violence altogether, is far greater. And where Hitler failed to take out the British, Gandhi prevailed without firing a shot.

(c) I do not doubt some doctors are crooked. But does this make the medical profession any less noble? Have you ever seen large demonstrations of ppl protesting against doctors (leave out abortion here)? Compare with politicians. Where can a politican go, without thousands around to protest?

sunny123 said:
I'm assuming you create your ideology based on Bollywood films? You want me to show you where the heroine is not fair? Watch Lagaan, Fire & Earth 1947, and any movie with that girl Bipasha Basu.

What does robbers breaking into your house have to do with anything with colour?

For the movie to sell, it must have some sort of mass appeal. Mass appeal is based on the majority preference. In this case, majority preference is for fair and tall. So you found one example. And how many times has Bipashu become Miss World? Let me tell you, when ppl refer to beautiful Indian women, they are referring to tall and fair.

HistoRocks said:
For the movie to sell, it must have some sort of mass appeal. Mass appeal is based on the majority preference. In this case, majority preference is for fair and tall. So you found one example. And how many times has Bipashu become Miss World? Let me tell you, when ppl refer to beautiful Indian women, they are referring to tall and fair.

Bipasha is a Super Model

She's already been given the "hot Indian female" status

HistoRocks said:
(a) I gave the example of my mother growing vegetables to point out the very real possibility of self-sustenance. Most farmers in the US mass produce. And mass producing is an easy job. Any one can operate a crop-duster, for example. You call the food healthy. I beg to differ. Why is there a seperate section in the food store for organic vegetables? Let me ask you... what would happen if we gave growth hormone in huge doses to humans? Innumerable diseases would result. So why give it to animals? Because the animals will grow fatter, taller, or reproduce like mad. And because the animal will be killed anyway.

(b) True, the Gurkhas who fought for the British regiments were without match. But I am sure King Ashoka, who renounced violence altogether, is far greater. And where Hitler failed to take out the British, Gandhi prevailed without firing a shot.

(c) I do not doubt some doctors are crooked. But does this make the medical profession any less noble? Have you ever seen large demonstrations of ppl protesting against doctors (leave out abortion here)? Compare with politicians. Where can a politican go, without thousands around to protest?
Listen a human being needs water/food/air which to survive, doctors can't give these. Therefore stop treating them like gods. For question (c) there was a chinese doctor in halifax(east coast of canada) practising with a fake doctors certificate. Yes this resulted in a protest in halifax.

data said:
Robbers, i'll wait for prady to laugh at this nonsense.

If you expect your wife to defend you, fine. I gave one example. However well-educated a woman is, whatever her status, there are limits. There is a reason why Sita waited patiently for Ram to come.

HistoRocks said:
Apparently India has not seen moi. :D

HistoRocks said:
If you expect your wife to defend you, fine. I gave one example. However well-educated a woman is, whatever her status, there are limits. There is a reason why Sita waited patiently for Ram to come.
How about getting a dog? Defend your wife? Ever heard of "ALARM FORCE" :laugh:

this is going nowhere.

Seems like (like Sunny loves to :p ) everyone's arguing for the sake of arguing

and feeling offended in the weirdest way.

Tall indian fair woman? what about Pocahontis
pocahontas.gif
She can defend any man. She is fairer in real life than in the movie.
Oh and btw Romeo? I am a fairskinned tall north indian and I do not need any man to defend me.

data said:
Listen a human being needs water/food/air which to survive, doctors can't give these. Therefore stop treating them like gods. For question (c) there was a chinese doctor in halifax(east coast of canada) practising with a fake doctors certificate. Yes this resulted in a protest in halifax.

You must read up on Gandhi. How he marched to the sea, and solved India's salt problem. How he produced his own cloth with a spinning wheel. You see... man is more self-sufficient than it seems. Large corporations are not necessary to satisfy every desire and fancy.

HistoRocks said:
You must read up on Gandhi. How he marched to the sea, and solved India's salt problem. How he produced his own cloth with a spinning wheel. You see... man is more self-sufficient than it seems. Large corporations are not necessary to satisfy every desire and fancy.
So your arguement is that Gandhi must of been a doctor since he had some brains to help humanity?

data said:
So your arguement is that Gandhi must of been a doctor since he had some brains to help humanity?

Please read the post where I specifically said the admiration ppl have of doctors is similar to the type they have of gurus and saints. Gandhi certainly falls within these categories.

Pakorah said:
Tall indian fair woman? what about Pocahontis
pocahontas.gif
She can defend any man. She is fairer in real life than in the movie.
Oh and btw Romeo? I am a fairskinned tall north indian and I do not need any man to defend me.

Women are more vulnerable than men. You know what I mean. And that is the man's fault, or society's. Whichever. See... Ramayana is so brilliant. Ravanna did not ravish Sita, simply because his heads would have fallen off. But the desire was there. Not all men are like this, I am just generalizing. There are a 1000 Ravanna's for every Romeo.

HistoRocks said:
Please read the post where I specifically said the admiration ppl have of doctors is similar to the type they have of gurus and saints. Gandhi certainly falls within these categories.

I am a doctor. I am not a saint or guru. Are you a doctor? I am guessing you are still in India to say doctors are revered so much. Here in the US, we are treated so badly by patients ... Indian docs just wouldn't believe. Anyway, I know so many corrupt docs in India. To say we are a noble profession just pains my ears. Incompetent docs who don't refer when they should because they want the money. Competent docs doing the same. Docs accepting fridges and tvs and vacations, even cars from drug reps selling drugs (and esp combination pills) when they prescribe their drug de jour. Why is radiodiagnosis the most popular residency in India? So much money. What is an easy way to earn that money? Get a portable USG machine and go tell sex of babies to expectant mothers ... who then go and abort their female babies (illegal by the way in India to tell families the sex of their babies). Interns not going to work at all because they are too busy studying for their PG Entrance/USMLEs. How is that dedication to saving lives? I can go on. There are many many great docs out there. But we are all human. We are not better than anyone else. Get off your high horse if you are already a doc, and if you are not ... then ok, you will learn.

Tall and Fair? Wait, have you considerred Gori girls? or firang girls?

It nausiates to imagine that men think that in a relationship, "the man takes care of the girl" for her entire life. YOu got it wrong buddy. It has to be mutual. Relieve thy pain when thou art ailing and thy shall relieve mine when I am falling, unable to take control of a certain stressful situation in my life..Moreover, if your wife is a doctor, one has to divide their responsibilities equally. I ve heard of men considering the female partner superior, but if you assert that dominating tone of " I am therefore you can possibly exist" then thats completely wrong and I hardly think ANY woman will take it, be it tan, fair, tall, or whatever.

retroviridae said:
I am a doctor. I am not a saint or guru. Are you a doctor?

What beautiful words. What humility. Sir, I am not worthy to stand in your shoes. I am not a doctor, but if I do become one, may I have your convictions.

retroviridae said:
I am guessing you are still in India to say doctors are revered so much. Here in the US, we are treated so badly by patients ... Indian docs just wouldn't believe. Anyway, I know so many corrupt docs in India. To say we are a noble profession just pains my ears. Incompetent docs who don't refer when they should because they want the money. Competent docs doing the same. Docs accepting fridges and tvs and vacations, even cars from drug reps selling drugs (and esp combination pills) when they prescribe their drug de jour. Why is radiodiagnosis the most popular residency in India? So much money. What is an easy way to earn that money? Get a portable USG machine and go tell sex of babies to expectant mothers ... who then go and abort their female babies (illegal by the way in India to tell families the sex of their babies). Interns not going to work at all because they are too busy studying for their PG Entrance/USMLEs. How is that dedication to saving lives? I can go on. There are many many great docs out there. But we are all human. We are not better than anyone else. Get off your high horse if you are already a doc, and if you are not ... then ok, you will learn.

Medicine saved my life. I can still remember, when I had pneuomonia; lying on the couch, the shallow breathing, the trip to the ER, the ride in the ambulance. The IV. Another patient who was there. The discussions about food; whether I was allowed to have sherbert. And my parents telling me to give flowers when it was all over.

More than all this, I wish I knew who exactly it was that saved me. I wish I could see each of their faces, and kiss their feet, and thank them. And be there for them as they were for me. I am sure that each patient they nurse back to health must also be thanking them in exactly the same way. And might I also thank the allergist who looked after me when I had asthma. These are some of the experiences I have had with doctors. How can I ridicule ppl who saved my life?

That was when I was very small... since then, I have seen cases much worse than mine, in particular, cancer. Have also been to the morgue, so I know there is a very thin line between life and death. I am grateful there are such ppl as doctors who stand on that dividing line (or I would not be here today). If I am worthy, one day I can repay my debt by also standing there.

priyanka said:
Whats a firang girl? :confused:

priyanka said:

It nausiates to imagine that men think that in a relationship, "the man takes care of the girl" for her entire life. YOu got it wrong buddy. It has to be mutual. Relieve thy pain when thou art ailing and thy shall relieve mine when I am falling, unable to take control of a certain stressful situation in my life..Moreover, if your wife is a doctor, one has to divide their responsibilities equally. I ve heard of men considering the female partner superior, but if you assert that dominating tone of " I am therefore you can possibly exist" then thats completely wrong and I hardly think ANY woman will take it, be it tan, fair, tall, or whatever.

Of course it has to be mutual. I never said she has to be subservient. I wouldn't go for anyone who isn't independant. There is a difference between him being there for her, and him dominating her. This is why I gave the Ramayana examples. Total devotion on both parts. But now imagine, if the woman was with child. Isn't she kind of helpless? Are you saying she can defend herself? This is an example of women being more vulnerable than men.

Tall and fair - let me say two things about that. I implied elsewhere that I was willing to comprise. Secondly, I wouldn't go for a Western woman. If it was all about complexion, why not go for a blonde? Its simply the home environment I grew up in, I am used to tall and fair. My parents didn't encourage it (though certain relatives did), but I am just more comfortable that way.

priyanka said:
amriki chick
still don't get it..is that brown language for american chick?

HistoRocks said:
Of course it has to be mutual. I never said she has to be subservient. I wouldn't go for anyone who isn't independant. There is a difference between him being there for her, and him dominating her. This is why I gave the Ramayana examples. Total devotion on both parts. But now imagine, if the woman was with child. Isn't she kind of helpless? Are you saying she can defend herself? This is an example of women being more vulnerable than men.

Tall and fair - let me say two things about that. I implied elsewhere that I was willing to comprise. Secondly, I wouldn't go for a Western woman. If it was all about complexion, why not go for a blonde? Its simply the home environment I grew up in, I am used to tall and fair. My parents didn't encourage it (though certain relatives did), but I am just more comfortable that way.

ok i get ya..
ok relax people, idont think we should pounce on histo rocks, because hes trying to say the same things we are, in different words. His style of approach is different thats it.

data said:
still don't get it..is that brown language for american chick?

haha

it means a british chick, have you seen lagaan?

priyanka said:
haha

it means a british chick, have you seen lagaan?
yeah but i read the subtitles..lol

data said:
In mirch masala the heroine is dark short and beautiful.
And braver than the men too

According to the laws of reproduction, everyone likes a person of opposite sex that has the qualities that he/ she thinks are as good as him/herself or superior- because all animals- including human naturally aim at leaving an offspring as good as or better than themselves.

My idea after seeking a doctor girl for me would be driven out of an expectation of having someone with a similar level of intelligence (or the lack of it :laugh: ) and similar way of thinking- though in real life i am hooked up with an engineer and am happy with that, as this also fulfills the first.