HPM Application + Interview Invite Thread 2023-2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Initial Interview Release Dates:
7/20 - Myrtle Beach
7/24 - Tulane
7/25 - Stanford, NIH, Prisma (SC)
7/26 - Ohio State
7/27 - Indiana University, U of Colorado, U Chicago
7/28 - UC Irvine, Mayo Clinic (MN), Saint Joseph, NYU
7/31 - Cincinnati Children's, Northwestern University
8/2 - U of Tenn (Memphis), Kaiser Permanente Fontana, New York Presbyterian Hospital (Columbia and Cornell Campus), University of Louisville, DuPont
8/3 - Stony Brook
8/4 - Wash U ( St Louis), Albert Einstein, UNC
8/7 - University of Oklahoma
8/8 - Maine Medical Center, Emory, Memorial Sloan Kettering
8/10 - Duke, George Washington, MGH, Brown
8/11 - MedStar Washington Hospital Center, Icahn (Mount Sinai), Texas Children's Hospital, UPMC, Dartmouth
8/14 - Kaiser Permanente LA, UMass Chan (Worcester), Stroger Cook County/Rush, Cleveland Clinic, UCLA, CHLA, U of Alabama (UAB)
8/15 - UC Davis
8/17- Geisinger, OHSU, UCSD, Tufts
8/18- MD Anderson (peds), University of Michigan ( Ann Arbor)
8/21 - U of Arizona (Phoenix), UCSF
8/22 - Loma Linda, Hopkins
8/23 - Cedars Sinai
8/24 - Montefiore, City of Hope
8/29 - MD Anderson (VA)
8/30 - CHOP

Rolling Interviews:
Northwestern, NY Presbyterian Hospital (Columbia and Cornell Campus), Icahn (Mount Sinai)

Waitlist:
08/04 - UPenn
08/18 - Stanford

Rejections:
8/18 - Stanford
8/24 - UCSF
08/31 - Harvard

Misc:
7/20 - UCSD (app has been received, currently reviewing)
7/27 - UCSF (invites to be sent BY Friday, August 25th)
08/09 - Yale (app has been received, currently reviewing)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
7/20 - Myrtle Beach
7/24 - Tulane
7/26 - Ohio State
8/2 - U of Tenn (Memphis), Kaiser Permanente Fontana, New York Presbyterian Hospital (Columbia and Cornell Campus), University of Louisville, DuPont
8/3 - Stony Brook
8/11 - MedStar Washington Hospital Center, Icahn (Mount Sinai), Texas Children's Hospital, UPMC, Dartmouth
8/14 - Kaiser Permanente LA, UMass Chan (Worcester), Stroger Cook County/Rush, Cleveland Clinic, UCLA, CHLA, U of Alabama (UAB)
8/15 - UC Davis
8/23 - Cedars Sinai
8/29 - MD Anderson (VA)
8/30 - CHOP
8/31 - Northwell

Rolling Interviews:
Northwestern, NY Presbyterian Hospital (Columbia and Cornell Campus), Icahn (Mount Sinai)

Waitlist:
08/04 - UPenn
08/18 - Stanford

Rejections:
8/18 - Stanford
8/24 - UCSF
8/25 - NY Presbyterian Hospital (Columbia and Cornell Campus)
08/31 - Harvard

Misc:

Members don't see this ad :)
Had a few interviews so far, overall it is a relaxed experience compared to residency interviews. Usual questions of why hospice and palliative, why this program, what do you see yourself doing after training. No hard medical questions or scenarios yet.

For those that haven’t done virtual interviews yet, you wear a suit still, make sure your camera is good and have good lighting. Otherwise very similar format, meet with few faculty, you can turn off your camera and sound between interviews to grab water use the bathroom and stretch.

Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
7/20 - Myrtle Beach
7/24 - Tulane
7/26 - Ohio State
8/3 - Stony Brook
8/15 - UC Davis
8/23 - Cedars Sinai
8/29 - MD Anderson (VA)
8/30 - CHOP
8/31 - Northwell
9/7 - Yale

Rolling Interviews:

Waitlist:
08/04 - UPenn
08/18 - Stanford

Rejections:
8/18 - Stanford
8/24 - UCSF
08/31 - Harvard

Misc:

How are you all figuring out your rank list?
Honestly I’m going by location.

In general, how many programs does one have to have ranked to match per the data?

How’s everyone’s interview season been going?

7/20 - Myrtle Beach
7/24 - Tulane
7/26 - Ohio State
8/3 - Stony Brook
8/15 - UC Davis
8/18- MD Anderson (peds), University of Michigan (Ann Arbor)
8/23 - Cedars Sinai
8/29 - MD Anderson (VA)
8/30 - CHOP
8/31 - Northwell
9/7 - Yale
9/14 - Children's National

Rolling Interviews:

Waitlist:
08/04 - UPenn
08/18 - Stanford

Rejections:
8/18 - Stanford
8/24 - UCSF
08/31 - Harvard

Misc:

7/20 - Myrtle Beach
7/24 - Tulane
7/26 - Ohio State
8/3 - Stony Brook
8/15 - UC Davis
8/23 - Cedars Sinai
8/29 - MD Anderson (VA)
8/30 - CHOP
8/31 - Northwell
9/7 - Yale

Rolling Interviews:
Northwestern, NY Presbyterian Hospital (Columbia and Cornell Campus), Icahn (Mount Sinai), Yale, Tufts

Waitlist:
08/04 - UPenn
08/18 - Stanford

Rejections:
8/18 - Stanford
8/24 - UCSF
08/31 - Harvard

Misc:

Last edited:
Is anyone experiencing pushback from their residency on interviews? If so, how are you maneuvering this?

Is anyone experiencing pushback from their residency on interviews? If so, how are you maneuvering this?

I've certainly had people from my program leadership tell me I don't need as many interviews as I've scheduled, but I was fortunate enough to schedule in advance several blocks of electives this month with preceptors who wouldn't mind me missing days to interview. Sorry I don't have more useful tips. As much as I understand where residency programs are coming from, though, I think this is one situation where we need to place ourselves first.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if HPM programs generally expect thank you emails or intent letters post interview?

Does anyone know if HPM programs generally expect thank you emails or intent letters post interview?
I feel that it is similar to residency, where it isn't expected, but unsure officially! I am personally not writing thank you emails to every program.

I'll send thank-yous after the rank lists are submitted on the program's end. It feels skeezy (for me personally) to send anything sooner, and I don't want to either influence their decision or give the wrong impression about my ranking intentions.

can people who have interviewed at NYU comment on the call schedule? it wasn't clear to me and I couldn't go to that fellow meet up session.

7/20 - Myrtle Beach
7/24 - Tulane
7/26 - Ohio State
8/3 - Stony Brook
8/15 - UC Davis
8/23 - Cedars Sinai
8/29 - MD Anderson (VA)
8/30 - CHOP
8/31 - Northwell
9/7 - Yale

Rolling Interviews:
Northwestern, NY Presbyterian Hospital (Columbia and Cornell Campus), Icahn (Mount Sinai), Yale, Tufts

Waitlist:
08/04 - UPenn
08/18 - Stanford

Rejections:
8/18 - Stanford
8/24 - UCSF
08/31 - Harvard
10/02 - UWash

Misc:

Looks like the interview invites are over? I’ve interviewed 6 places for pediatric palliative care with 1-2 spots. Is that how most of you guys have interviewed?

Does anyone know if Tufts is confirmed to only accept 1 fellow each year?

How is everyone doing since interviews are finishing up, and how are you all figuring out your rank list? :)

How is everyone doing since interviews are finishing up, and how are you all figuring out your rank list? :)

So happy to be done, now it's time to overthink the rank list. It'll probably be a balance of location and the vibes I got from the faculty. Even the programs that did take call, none of them seemed that crazy.

Good luck with submitting rank lists for tomorrow! Don't forget to certify and pay the fees at NRMP.

Congratulations to everyone who matched this week! Sadly, I didn't match :-( I applied to a limited number of programs due to geographic constraints of my family. I am considering reapplying next year and casting a wider net which might mean living apart from family for the fellowship year. I am curious if those in this group have advice about improving my application. Did you do rotations at the programs you matched at? Did you connect with faculty or fellows? Conferences? CME? Thanks!

Congratulations to everyone who matched this week! Sadly, I didn't match :-( I applied to a limited number of programs due to geographic constraints of my family. I am considering reapplying next year and casting a wider net which might mean living apart from family for the fellowship year. I am curious if those in this group have advice about improving my application. Did you do rotations at the programs you matched at? Did you connect with faculty or fellows? Conferences? CME? Thanks!

I’m sorry to hear that. I did not do rotations at any site I interviewed at nor did I go to any conferences. However I did have good LORs. Maybe reach out to people in the HPM and geriatric field to see if anyone could provide a solid letter? There’s always the unfilled spots to consider. Best of luck.

Sorry to hear that. If it helps, I didn't do any rotations, conferences, or CME (early/mid career attending, so CME went to my core specialty and taking time off was a no-go). I'd agree with LoR review, as well as looking over the personal statement (most of my interviewers read it, so punching it up seems like a good move).

As a tangent, I wouldn't advise splitting yourself from family or loved ones for an HPM year, unless everyone in your inner circle is on board. A year can be a long time.

There's always another year for training; you don't get a year back with your friends, partners, or children.

Feel free to DM if I can help or answer anything for you.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with what both the users above said. I DM'd you!

Whew! 2nd year applying for HPM fellowship and I matched with my #1 choice!

USF Morsani in Tampa FL