Peds HPM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hmockingbird

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Been awhile since I’ve been on SDN haha. I’m a practicing peds hospitalist looking to move into palliative care. I considered it (and other fellowships) during residency but was just so burnt out that I decided not to do fellowship. Various things have aligned for me/my career in the past year making it feel like the right time to actually go back and make the switch. I’ve searched through SDN and haven’t really seen a lot about Peds HPM though.

I have a mentor, hopefully a compelling PS/reasons I’m interested, and have my LORs lined up. But couldn’t find a lot on here about Peds palliative. I have a few questions:

1) what did people look for in programs? I’m somewhat geographically limited due to already owning a house etc.

2) I have no research and few other medical “activities” since graduating residency… I pretty much do my job and that’s it lol. Haven’t been super involved with like, committees etc. Will this be a problem? Should I start a research project this year? Do a grand rounds? (I dislike research but I could probably churn out something QI related if needed.)

3) What are people’s schedules typically like during Peds fellowship? (Obviously, I know it depends on the program but would love some examples!)

4) Anything else unique about applying for Peds palliative that I’ve missed?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Been awhile since I’ve been on SDN haha. I’m a practicing peds hospitalist looking to move into palliative care. I considered it (and other fellowships) during residency but was just so burnt out that I decided not to do fellowship. Various things have aligned for me/my career in the past year making it feel like the right time to actually go back and make the switch. I’ve searched through SDN and haven’t really seen a lot about Peds HPM though.

I have a mentor, hopefully a compelling PS/reasons I’m interested, and have my LORs lined up. But couldn’t find a lot on here about Peds palliative. I have a few questions:

1) what did people look for in programs? I’m somewhat geographically limited due to already owning a house etc.

2) I have no research and few other medical “activities” since graduating residency… I pretty much do my job and that’s it lol. Haven’t been super involved with like, committees etc. Will this be a problem? Should I start a research project this year? Do a grand rounds? (I dislike research but I could probably churn out something QI related if needed.)

3) What are people’s schedules typically like during Peds fellowship? (Obviously, I know it depends on the program but would love some examples!)

4) Anything else unique about applying for Peds palliative that I’ve missed?

Thanks!
I'm a NICU Fellow applying for Palliative Care Fellowship. Would love to know how the interview process is? My wife is applying for IM residency so its alot dependent where both of us match.

Reactions: 1 user