Howard University School of Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Deleted. Out of topic.

Members don't see this ad.

how long does it normally take for an applicant to get a decision after they've interviewed with howard?

how long does it normally take for an applicant to get a decision after they've interviewed with howard?

chemist it will usually take anywhere from 3-5 weeks.........be patient..........
by the way im a first year student at howard so anyone with questions about the school please ask!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
chemist it will usually take anywhere from 3-5 weeks.........be patient..........
by the way im a first year student at howard so anyone with questions about the school please ask!!!!

Hello Gwalla,

I've been trying to get a hold of any current Howard pharmacy students. I have a bunch of questions in regards to housing because I've already been accepted,so I guess I need someone to help me answer those questions.

Thanks in advance

Gwalla, are you satisfied with the program at howard? how burdensome and challenging is the workload? i've heard that the curriculum may change from year to year. is this true?

So can you explain why Howard has the lowest national passing rate (i think 51%).
Source: http://www.nabp.net/ftpfiles/bulletins/schoolpassrates.pdf

the mission of HU is different from other schools.. HU is committed
to help the minorities and socially disadvantage groups.. so that
there will be more minorities practicing medicine, pharmacy, etc.
they are not racially discriminating anyone.. but that is their mission
and they're staying true to it..

other pharmacy schools accept students with 3.8 gpa, 80% pcat..
HU on average accepts students with 3.2 gpa, 60% pcat..

the stats may not be accurate, but relatively speaking thats
the difference between HU and other schools..

thats why HU Naplex score is not at the very top.. because it is
not in accordance with their mission statement.. if they want to
be at the top, they would take in students with 3.8 gpa and 80% pcat
like all other schools..

51% was only for 2005.. u need to open ur eyes to the other years too.

Hey guys,
I am wondering if anyone has received acceptance letters from Howard. I went in for interview on Nov 13th, and haven't heard anything from them. Hope we will hear some good news soon.

Hey guys,
I am wondering if anyone has received acceptance letters from Howard. I went in for interview on Nov 13th, and haven't heard anything from them. Hope we will hear some good news soon.

nothing yet. i interviewed on the 14th

Can someone tell me how picky our they about PCAT scores and what does your GPA have to look like?

I didn't hear from Howard, yet. I went in Nov. 13th @11:00, too.

Hi, I Am New To The Network. I've Been Reading Alot, But This Is My First Post. I Must Say This Is A Really Great Site!
I Just Wanted To Let Everyone Know I Got A Call From Howard U. On Friday To Schedule An Interview For January 14. Anyone Else Interviewing In Jan Or Anyone Heard Since Last Interview?
Any Tips Or Suggestions For Preparation?

i'm going on the interview for january 14th too! i'll see you there! =) where are you flying in from?

jan 14 for me too! flying in from cali.. where are u guys staying?

Members don't see this ad :)
i will be coming up from NC that weekend and staying with family that I have in the area. free lodging!:D

the mission of HU is different from other schools.. HU is committed
to help the minorities and socially disadvantage groups.. so that
there will be more minorities practicing medicine, pharmacy, etc.
they are not racially discriminating anyone.. but that is their mission
and they're staying true to it..

other pharmacy schools accept students with 3.8 gpa, 80% pcat..
HU on average accepts students with 3.2 gpa, 60% pcat..

the stats may not be accurate, but relatively speaking thats
the difference between HU and other schools..

thats why HU Naplex score is not at the very top.. because it is
not in accordance with their mission statement.. if they want to
be at the top, they would take in students with 3.8 gpa and 80% pcat
like all other schools..

51% was only for 2005.. u need to open ur eyes to the other years too.
So what? It is THEIR (Howard's) responsibility to graduate all these students once they admit them, or maybe they shouldn't take in these students at the first place. 51% is a little bit low and I will not ever attend a school like that. It is the worst case scenario where the students are paying 4 years of tuition and are not getting their license

Don't freak out too much about the 51%, I'm sure those students eventually passed, it's not like you take the test once and you quit after 4 years of school. Since you know that there is a low passing rate, if you attend Howard, you just work your butt off, so that you don't end up the ones that didn't pass the first time around.

I got a call for an interview for Howard last week for January 14th or 15th, I was very honored to get a call but since I already got accepted to another school, I declined to go there from California. My stats are under a 3.0 with a 99 PCAT, but my last 80 units are a 4.0, yeah, under a 3.0 with 80 units of a 4.0, don't ask. :p

Does Howard send any emails or letters saying that your application is complete and when to expect an interview invitation or denial?

They are the only school that I have had zero feedback from, and the staff is kinda difficult to get a hold of :(

I got a letter from Howard when a bit after they got my PharmCAS, it was a check list and had PCAT checked because I was taking the October PCAT and it wasn't submitted yet. So at least for me, I got a letter telling me what I was missing.

I got in...:) My interview was on 11/13.

Congrats....^do you mind sharing your stats?

has anyone who interviewed in November been accepted yet?

nope....I called Howard today and spoke to Ms. Sconion and she said the admissions committee hasn't made a decision yet. The only decisions they've made are on those who applied with early decision. She doesn't know when they'll make a decision and said we might not get a response until the spring or even the summer. Btw I interviewed on Nov. 13th.

nope....I called Howard today and spoke to Ms. Sconion and she said the admissions committee hasn't made a decision yet. The only decisions they've made are on those who applied with early decision. She doesn't know when they'll make a decision and said we might not get a response until the spring or even the summer. Btw I interviewed on Nov. 13th.

hahaha ridicccculous! that doesnt surprise me, given my interview experience and their overall organization...:cool:

yeah i have no idea why it's taking long...but i guess we'll just have to wait haha

for those who were accepted, where do you guys plan to live? on campus? off campus? if off campus, where in DC?

hi all,
i interviewed on Monday. there were about 20-25 people. i thought that it went well. contrary to previous posts, everything was well organized and the interview went as scheduled! the previous interview feedback was very helpful and accurate.
i posted info on interview feedback database. we were told it could 2-6 weeks before notification and that there are some people who interviewed in Nov that have not received notifications because the final decision has not been made.
we were also told that over 500 applications were received in late December and that there will probably be only one more interview session.
hope this helps!

I got a letter from Howard stating that I'm missing two prerequisite requirements so I emailed them about it and havent heard back from them since. I guess they're just slower than other schools. I wonder if anyone know how late would they still be interviewing?

azgurl...call them too! don't wait for them just because they're slow. everyday that you're file is incomplete, another applicant gets priority

AZGURL, I would defintely call. I had a similar situation where I was told I was missing courses I already took. And after several emails no one contacted me so I called. It turned out the woman that was assigned to me was out of the offi e for a week on a recruitement tour. I requested for someone else who was actually in the office to work on my file and I clarified the problem. WARNING: They do tend to have attitude issues so try to remain calm and get your situation resolved. Good Luck!

AZGURL, I would definitely call. I had a similar situation where I was told I was missing courses I already took. And after several emails no one contacted me so I called. It turned out the woman that was assigned to me was out of the offi e for a week on a recruitement tour. I requested for someone else who was actually in the office to work on my file and I clarified the problem. WARNING: They do tend to have attitude issues so try to remain calm and get your situation resolved. Good Luck!

Do you think making multiple calls/emails will hurt your chances?

I left a voice-mail and sent an email and have not heard anything back.
Voice-mail on 1/11 and email on 1/17.

Also, I was wondering if their secondary section on PharmCAS is up to date. I know some schools don't use it religiously. One school shows that I only have half of the stuff required, but they emailed me that my file was complete.

I appreciate any feedback on your experiences. I just don't want to be a pain. I know they are very busy, but I am worried that time is going to pass very quickly and there will not be any spots left.

Thanks

I don't think the email and phone call were excessive. I called them 2 days in a row in order to sort out my situation with them. I also sent an email to the original person that was assigned to me. There apparently is some lack of communication in the office because after I already resolved my issue I received an email from my original recruitment officer 2 to 3 weeks later.

I feel like if you have something you need to solve call them don't wait for them to respond via email because they don't respond very rapidly that way.

I received a letter sometimes last November from Ms. Sconion (I think) saying that I still need to fulfill the speech requirement. Back in August, I emailed the Admission Office to see if the Interpersonal Communication class would fulfill the speech requirement and they said that would be fine. I emailed her back after receiving that letter and she told me to send her a transcript once I finish that course (which will be next month). Did any of you guys use Interpersonal Comm to fulfill this req?

yes, i used interpersonal communications to meet speech requirement. the course was already completed at time my application was submitted so i had no problem.

Is anyones secondary section for Howard up to date?

I'm wondering if they use it or not. I only show one LOR as received and my PharmCAS was mailed in mid December and all LOR were also received by the first week in Jan.

Thanks

I just got the letter from Terry Sconion.

How long does it take to get a yay or nay on the interview after the letter is received?

Thanks for your input.

Hey,

I just got my letter yesterday from Terry Sconion I was wondering if anyone else who recently got a letter saying they recieved you app has heard anything else from them?

When is Howard going to send the hotel/directions email? I want to look at flight times and dates to book a flight, as well as a hotel. Any suggestions?

You will probably have to email Howard for information. That is what happened to me (they left my name off the email list). Most of my communication was done through Celia Williams-Fowlkes and she responded right away. Good Luck!

Thanks MissPharm08!!! I've been in touch with w/ Mrs. Sconion, so I'll ask her for the info.
Congrats on your acceptance!

hey guys..quick question...what is it about Howard University that makes them stand out among the other pharmacy schools

hey guys..quick question...what is it about Howard University that makes them stand out among the other pharmacy schools

Howard University is 1 of 4 Historically Black College and University (HBCU) pharmacy schools in the US.

what's the interview like? did you like it in dc? i'm going there next week and any info about the interview would be really helpful!

be sure to read as many of the posts on the SDN interview database. they asked the exact questions that people had previously posted. it really helped to have pre-formulated answers because the actual interview is only about 15-20 min.
i posted my feedback as well. interview was on 14jan08. got acceptance letter on 07feb08. despite some of the negative feedback i have read on this site, i am going! i know there are going to be challenges in the program and i will have to work a little harder.
i asked in my interview about the NAPLEX issues from past years and i was pleased to learn that they have put in place ALOT of test prep activites at various points throughout your 4 yrs to ensure higher passage rates. don't base your decisions on someone else assessment. whatever reservations you have just ask at the interview and make your own decision from there.

HOWARD U., CLASS OF 2012.

I wonder where most pharmacy students live. On campus or off campus? I need to start thinking about housing.