How many people go to the Parties during orientation and after test?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't use that word? It must be a guy thing.

Or an inconsiderate thing. Use it in your head or with your buddies all you want. It has no place on SDN in that usage.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm pretty surprised they had that as a standardized patient as a 1st or 2nd year. I feel like schools generally try to avoid issues like that for the earlier parts of your career. We had ones about relationships affecting illness, but not involving violence.
I've had this multiple times so far for the touchy-feely classes, not the basic science ones though. My school loves abuse and addiction for some reason.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's considered an offensive slur.
Of course, in public (mainly bc there are women around). Among men, not so much (unless one of them had a child who was special needs).

Reactions: 1 user
I've had this multiple times so far for the touchy-feely classes, not the basic science ones though. My school loves abuse and addiction for some reason.
Bc they can't test you on the science/physical diagnosis stuff yet, bc you haven't completed it. The touchy feely stuff - domestic violence, EtOH abuse (CAGE questions), taking a sexual history, can always be tested easily - more to check for bedside manner.

Of course, in public (mainly bc there are women around). Among men, not so much (unless one of them had a child who was special needs).
Well that's the problem right -- you don't know whom around you has a child, other family member or friend with an intellectual disability. It's best to avoid using those terms regardless of the social situation.

Reactions: 3 users

hm weird. I've had stuff like smoking, drinking and relationship problems but never violence.

I'm pretty surprised they had that as a standardized patient as a 1st or 2nd year. I feel like schools generally try to avoid issues like that for the earlier parts of your career. We had ones about relationships affecting illness, but not involving violence.

We had domestic violence SP's in 2nd year. They tend to avoid that in 1st year as you're still learning your bread and butter histories then. 2nd year is when we got the harder-hitting cases like violence, drug abuse, angry patients, angry parents of patients, complicated sexual histories, etc.

Well that's the problem right -- you don't know whom around you has a child, other family member or friend with an intellectual disability. It's best to avoid using those terms regardless of the social situation.
True. It's usually more said in jest - i.e. "Quit acting like a ______" - when someone does something dumb. Not with intended malice.

We had domestic violence SP's in 2nd year. They tend to avoid that in 1st year as you're still learning your bread and butter histories then. 2nd year is when we got the harder-hitting cases like violence, drug abuse, angry patients, angry parents of patients, complicated sexual histories, etc.

:soexcited:can't wait

Yes, same here. The non-medical-science cases throughout M-2. It's to test you on communication skills and that you pick things up.

Yes, same here. The non-medical-science cases throughout M-2. It's to test you on communication skills and that you pick things up.

Especially with the drug abuse. We had a couple SP's with drug abuse in MS1, but that was mainly to teach us how to take an adequate social history. The drug abuse cases in 2nd year were much more detailed and clearly required more attention and history-taking skills. The one was a cop with recent onset palpitations and chest pain, and you had to tease out that he was an undercover cop in narcotics who had started using cocaine. But the people who didn't approach it correctly had the guy blow up in their face.

I had a whole new level of appreciation for the SP's after 2nd year. The level of acting was excellent.

Members don't see this ad :)
Especially with the drug abuse. We had a couple SP's with drug abuse in MS1, but that was mainly to teach us how to take an adequate social history. The drug abuse cases in 2nd year were much more detailed and clearly required more attention and history-taking skills. The one was a cop with recent onset palpitations and chest pain, and you had to tease out that he was an undercover cop in narcotics who had started using cocaine. But the people who didn't approach it correctly had the guy blow up in their face.

I had a whole new level of appreciation for the SP's after 2nd year. The level of acting was excellent.
LOL. What do you mean didn't approach it correctly? You mean he'd get angry if you didn't catch on that he was using cocaine?

LOL. What do you mean didn't approach it correctly? You mean he'd get angry if you didn't catch on that he was using cocaine?

No. I'm not sure how SP sessions are set up at other schools, but at mine, most of the time you are in a group with 4-5 other students and 1-2 facilitators, so the students are watching you interact with the SP and then everyone gives you feedback. Usually we would only cover 2 cases in an afternoon session, so 2-3 students talk to the same SP back to back. It sucks going anything but first, because you already know what's going on, but you have to pretend you don't and just practice taking the history as if it's brand new to you. So the people who went 2nd and 3rd already knew that he was an undercover cop using cocaine, but they jumped into it extremely quickly without establishing any rapport and took him off guard. Pretty sure you should ask clarifying questions about his chest pain before asking him if he's ever done drugs on the job. :p

No. I'm not sure how SP sessions are set up at other schools, but at mine, most of the time you are in a group with 4-5 other students and 1-2 facilitators, so the students are watching you interact with the SP and then everyone gives you feedback. Usually we would only cover 2 cases in an afternoon session, so 2-3 students talk to the same SP back to back. It sucks going anything but first, because you already know what's going on, but you have to pretend you don't and just practice taking the history as if it's brand new to you. So the people who went 2nd and 3rd already knew that he was an undercover cop using cocaine, but they jumped into it extremely quickly without establishing any rapport and took him off guard. Pretty sure you should ask clarifying questions about his chest pain before asking him if he's ever done drugs on the job. :p
Oh, that's a great SPs. Ours weren't as good, to react that way. More rubric like - like Step 2 CS.

Oh, that's a great SPs. Ours weren't as good, to react that way. More rubric like - like Step 2 CS.

Yeah I was consistently blown away by their acting capabilities. There's a good 15-20 or so actors who are very involved in the SP program and they participate as a different patient in pretty much every session. Just saw my first SP from MS1 in my OSCE last week :)

Ok fine, I won't use the word "****" anymore here.

But also I'm surprised nobody here has called me a "sperglord" (slur for someone with Asperger's) yet. Perhaps I was wrong about what this forum thinks of me.

It's almost as if you have a book of offensive terms in front of you and are just going through them one by one until someone calls you on it.

But also I'm surprised nobody here has called me a "sperglord" (slur for someone with Asperger's) yet. Perhaps I was wrong about what this forum thinks of me.
I'd venture that most of us were not familiar with that term.

Reactions: 6 users
It's almost as if you have a book of offense of terms in front of you and are just going through them one by one until someone calls you on it.

Lol nah, this is just how I used to talk. Still talk, I guess.

I had no idea what that even was. It sounds like a Harry Potter character.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I had no idea what that even was.

My point was that I thought people here were haters, I'm surprised that even though people criticize me a lot :( , they haven't started harping on that particular point.

I've never heard of that slur before and certainly would never use it towards anyone with aspergers. I've heard aspie before but always thought that was an okay term. If you find it offensive I will stop using it.

Btw I know the possibility for DV, Substance abuse is there for our first year standardized patients. Perhaps it's different for me because I'm actually a trained DV/SA advocate so I know how to handle those situations better than your average medical student. What's important to note is, victims of intimate partner violence don't wear signs on their forehead saying "I'm being abused" they come in all different genders, races, socioeconomic status, etc. They also may have never told anyone about their abuse before and will likely minimize what's going on, "he only hits me when he's really mad, he's never hit the kids, it looks worse than what it is" while you should make it clear you are concerned about them, just saying "he's a monster, leave him" will cause them to shut down and not trust you. You can't expect them to just leave right away, it's not that simple and it's one of the most dangerous times for them right after they do chose to leave (the other time is if they are a woman who becomes pregnant). Also you can't really "get them" to leave, they have to want to of their own accord.

I've never heard of that slur before and certainly would never use it towards anyone with aspergers. I've heard aspie before but always thought that was an okay term. If you find it offensive I will stop using it.

Btw I know the possibility for DV, Substance abuse is there for our first year standardized patients. Perhaps it's different for me because I'm actually a trained DV/SA advocate so I know how to handle those situations better than your average medical student. What's important to note is, victims of intimate partner violence don't wear signs on their forehead saying "I'm being abused" they come in all different genders, races, socioeconomic status, etc. They also may have never told anyone about their abuse before and will likely minimize what's going on, "he only hits me when he's really mad, he's never hit the kids, it looks worse than what it is" while you should make it clear you are concerned about them, just saying "he's a monster, leave him" will cause them to shut down and not trust you. You can't expect them to just leave right away, it's not that simple and it's one of the most dangerous times for them right after they do chose to leave (the other time is if they are a woman who becomes pregnant). Also you can't really "get them" to leave, they have to want to of their own accord.

As I understand it, "Aspie" is a normative term, while "Sperglord" is a pejorative term for a man with Asperger's (who tend to be much more vocal on the internet than "Spergladies," I suppose).

In this case, perhaps the standardized patient lady was just a bad actress. I may be socially oblivious, but even I know that you need to approach this topic with some finesse and tact, which they still have not taught us how to do. In any case, I did my best, and then the lady was a hater.

My point was that I thought people here were haters, I'm surprised that even though people criticize me a lot :( , they haven't started harping on that particular point.
Maybe u should stop labeling people as black or white, good or bad, nice person vs. hater. Dichotomous compartmentalization is what toddlers do.

In this case, perhaps the standardized patient lady was just a bad actress. I may be socially oblivious, but even I know that you need to approach this topic with some finesse and tact, which they still have not taught us how to do. In any case, I did my best, and then the lady was a hater.
:rolleyes:
No one "teaches" you how to have finesse and tact. If you're expecting med school to teach you that - you'll be disappointed.

Maybe u should stop labeling people as black or white, good or bad, nice person vs. hater. Dichotomous compartmentalization is what toddlers do.
Unless we're talking politics, then virtually everyone is a toddler.

Can we get back to what really matters here? Partying hard?

Unless we're talking politics, then virtually everyone is a toddler.

Can we get back to what really matters here? Partying hard?
No. Adults realize that everything is not black and white and that there is gray.

As I understand it, "Aspie" is a normative term, while "Sperglord" is a pejorative term for a man with Asperger's (who tend to be much more vocal on the internet than "Spergladies," I suppose).

You are expected to have finesse and tact before you come to medical school.

I doubt the SP was a bad actress or a "hater" I have a feeling that there were clues that you missed (asking if she feels safe in her home is a standard question -I get asked by every doc I've ever seen. Also did you have access to her chart? Had she been to the ER multiple times for injuries? Again just asking her relationship status isn't enough, there is a whole line of questions in the social history you are supposed to ask)

Reactions: 2 users
No. Adults realize that everything is not black and white and that there is gray.
You should spend some time in the SPF lol. I intentionally present views contrary to what's going in in every given thread just for the sake of discourse (what's the point of preaching to the choir?) and get hated on as a 'murrica hatin' librul dat wants to steel der' guns, whether I'm disagreeing with a moderate, liberal, or libertarian view. It'd be hilarious if it didn't make me completely lose faith in the ability of people to use reason during the process of political discourse.

You should spend some time in the SPF lol. I intentionally present views contrary to what's going in in every given thread just for the sake of discourse (what's the point of preaching to the choir?) and get hated on as a 'murrica hatin' librul dat wants to steel der' guns, whether I'm disagreeing with a moderate, liberal, or libertarian view. It'd be hilarious if it didn't make me completely lose faith in the ability of people to use reason during the process of political discourse.
The only SPF I know is Sun-Protection Factor.

Sociopolitical forum. It's the worst part of the worst part of SDN. It's so bad they had to hide it as a sub-forum of the lounge.

I may be direct but I try not to be purposefully hurtful (I don't always succeed). Taunting you because of your reported Aspergers would be hurtful.

is it really hard if it is a SP, nah

Can you quit it with the "haters" thing? For the most part, people are trying to HELP you via constructive criticism. You keep ignoring it or not taking it into consideration or brushing it off as "hater" talk, so naturally people are going to get frustrated and will eventually stop trying to help. Constructive criticism is aimed at getting you to improve yourself, and you will be receiving it daily when you hit the wards. We're not criticizing you with malicious intent, we're not making fun of you. But you do need to take the constructive criticism, don't take it personally but take it objectively, learn from it, and figure out a way to change your approach to school.

Reactions: 9 users
is it really hard if it is a SP, nah

Our SP's are really good, so yes it got harder near the end of 2nd year. One of them was a mom of a terminally-ill kid who was in our face yelling at us and was almost impossible to console. Not many people succeeded with her. Another was a mom with her teenage daughter (the patient) and the mom was adamant about not leaving the room. It took me a solid 5 minutes to convince the mom to leave. I probably could have done something differently, but that's the point of the SP sessions.

Our SP's are really good, so yes it got harder near the end of 2nd year. One of them was a mom of a terminally-ill kid who was in our face yelling at us and was almost impossible to console. Not many people succeeded with her. Another was a mom with her teenage daughter (the patient) and the mom was adamant about not leaving the room. It took me a solid 5 minutes to convince the mom to leave. I probably could have done something differently, but that's the point of the SP sessions.
Wow! Those are good. Your school must pay them well.

Wow! Those are good. Your school must pay them well.

I hope so! They deserve it.

I've heard from lots of 4th years that the SP sessions here over prepare us for the patient interaction part of CS. Just gotta work on that whole diagnosis thing lol

Asperger's is no longer a thing. DSM5 got rid of it. Now you just fall somewhere on the autism spectrum.

Asperger's is no longer a thing. DSM5 got rid of it. Now you just fall somewhere on the autism spectrum.
Yes: http://www.autismspeaks.org/dsm-5/faq#asperger
The DSM-5 text states “ Individuals with a well-established DSM-IV diagnoses of autistic disorder, Asperger’s disorder, or pervasive developmental disorder not otherwise specified should be given the diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder”.

Get her drunk and see where things go, I think.

At least that's what I've heard you're supposed to do. Not exactly sure how it works, and it seems sorta sketch to me.

:sendoff:

Developing a rapist's wit won't get you far.

You are expected to have finesse and tact before you come to medical school.

I doubt the SP was a bad actress or a "hater" I have a feeling that there were clues that you missed (asking if she feels safe in her home is a standard question -I get asked by every doc I've ever seen. Also did you have access to her chart? Had she been to the ER multiple times for injuries? Again just asking her relationship status isn't enough, there is a whole line of questions in the social history you are supposed to ask)

Lol nah they don't give you anything with a SP, they just throw you in there without any warning. And yeah, we can talk a big game about the exact questions we should ask, but then remember that you woke up early in the morning to go do a history on this SP while your mind is on your upcoming Neuro exam rather than this stuff, and then you'll see why people's histories are less than perfect.

Also, I think you expect borderline social wizardry from med students, but quite a few people here are even more socially awkward than I am rofl.

:sendoff:

Developing a rapist's wit won't get you far.

Lol, I don't plan to rape any peeps.

The only illegal things I've ever done involve torrenting Goljan and various music products.

Although I may consider getting on Testosterone, I heard it's quite helpful.

Lol nah they don't give you anything with a SP, they just throw you in there without any warning. And yeah, we can talk a big game about the exact questions we should ask, but then remember that you woke up early in the morning to go do a history on this SP while your mind is on your upcoming Neuro exam rather than this stuff, and then you'll see why people's histories are less than perfect.

Also, I think you expect borderline social wizardry from med students, but quite a few people here are even more socially awkward than I am rofl.

Lol, I don't plan to rape any peeps.

The only illegal things I've ever done involve torrenting Goljan and various music products.

Although I may consider getting on Testosterone, I heard it's quite helpful.

I'm not expecting social wizardry. I admitted that since I have actual training in this area I'm more equipped which is why I'm trying to help you right now and give you suggestions. I'm good at soft skills and try to help others with that. I'm not good with the hard science stuff and ask others for help in that. Do you see how that works? I'm not expecting you or anyone to be perfect with SPs, I'm just trying to offer suggestions based off of my own knowledge base.

And be careful with T. It has some crappy side effects, my experience is with people taking them to transition and I've heard it's like going through puberty all over again. Acne, horny all the time, aggressive, hair loss. For bio dudes I think it can cause testicular problems as well. It's a whole different ballgame than just smoking weed

Also i seriously hope you have other reasons for not raping people besides it being illegal

Reactions: 2 users
It's a whole different ballgame...

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.