How difficult is it to get into a Podiatry school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Coverdale

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm considering Pharmacy school as well... I have a 3.02 GPA, so I'm not certain that I'd be able to get in.

Do you think I have a decent chance of getting in with such a low GPA???

Members don't see this ad.

do everyone a favor and don't apply

Members don't see this ad :)
you would need to do very well on the mcat... but it's possible... have you taken any other test (ex: DAT)?

Anyone can get in. Even George got in.

I'm considering Pharmacy school as well... I have a 3.02 GPA, so I'm not certain that I'd be able to get in.

you may be able to gain admission at one of the schools. Most likely not a top school. If you struggled to maintain grades in undergrad you would probably struggle in grad/professional school unless you have had some soul searching and know how and why to do better.

I'd recommend making sure that you know what you are getting yourself into and not just applying because you can get in. You must be sure that podiatry is what you want. Getting in is just ministep number 1. It is a long hard raod after that especially if you are at a lower "rank" school and need to be self motivated.

What do you mean by lower rank school? :scared:

you may be able to gain admission at one of the schools. Most likely not a top school. If you struggled to maintain grades in undergrad you would probably struggle in grad/professional school unless you have had some soul searching and know how and why to do better.

I'd recommend making sure that you know what you are getting yourself into and not just applying because you can get in. You must be sure that podiatry is what you want. Getting in is just ministep number 1. It is a long hard raod after that especially if you are at a lower "rank" school and need to be self motivated.

Why would you say that it is harder at one of the "lower ranked" schools? I know about all the similar posts in the past that talk about the rankings of the schools...but what really makes it so much harder to succeed?

He's probably just tired of everyone who can't get in elsewhere go into podiatry as a back up and not having it be their passion.

still just a tad harsh, kind of...

but yea, i can understand what you mean

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would you say that it is harder at one of the "lower ranked" schools? I know about all the similar posts in the past that talk about the rankings of the schools...but what really makes it so much harder to succeed?

you must be a more independent learner and search for answers to your questions. And you have to come up with the questions too. You must read the literature on your own with no encouragement from the school.

It is like going to a large University where you have 400 people in the class and the profs do not care if you succeed or not but really there are less than 100 people in the class. So I guess you could call it a small school with a large university feel.

Some people will be successful where ever they go and what ever they do. THey are just highly motivated people. But if you (general) are starting out with a low GPA and low MCAT scores and are just looking for an "in" you (general) must really think about what you are getting into and how you are going to succeed in a tougher environment when you (general) struggled with the easier environment (undergrad).

That is my opinion on why it is more difficult.

YOu can easily get in. Just make sure it's for you. I bet low ranking schools are that way for a reason. Not because a bunch of forum members are being mean and don't really understand.

lets face it, its easy to get in all the schools. the "lower ranked" schools are just really easy.

Man, it's been awhile since I have posted on this... lol

I tell ya, I don't think you should just apply to Pod school because you might think it's "easy". But what do you think will happen if they ask you what made you interested or if you have any experience shadowing or what you know about the field?

Do me and everyone else a favor (those who are genuinely interested in Podiatry) and do something else besides Podiatry, you don't have the passion and you won't succeed.

"Do me and everyone else a favor (those who are genuinely interested in Podiatry) and do something else besides Podiatry, you don't have the passion and you won't succeed."

Sarcasm I presume...?

http://www.facebook.com/gr
oup.php?gid=2212745585

There's a PharmD guy in the SCPM Class of 2008. He came back for his DPM because he felt trapped as a PharmD guy. However, he did go back in the summer and work part-time and walgreens making 14k in the summer, Definitely helped with his loans and he knew is drugs like an animal, but... if you want to work with patients, people, and not in a drug store your entire life, Pod Med School is the way to go.

"Do me and everyone else a favor (those who are genuinely interested in Podiatry) and do something else besides Podiatry, you don't have the passion and you won't succeed."

Sarcasm I presume...?

Well let's take a look at this to see if I am being sarcastic...

"I have a 3.02 GPA, so I'm not certain that I'd be able to get in.

Do you think I have a decent chance of getting in with such a low GPA???"

Hmm... do you think I want to compete with someone who can jeopardize my career because they think it's easy to get in? Hey, if he/she has a sincere interest in Podiatry and wants to apply, well then yeah do it for sure. But if he/she is doing it because they won't get into Pharm school, that's just ridiculous... I hope that the admissions boards catch this stuff going on.

No one can jeopardize your career but yourself...if you want to be a great podiatrist, no ONE student, no matter what GPA he or she has ....no matter how mixed his or her feelings are about podiatry ....has the capability...of jeopardizing your career...
...In these forums we try to give the benefit of the doubt and encourage those who have interest in podiatry to learn more about it...perhaps pull up their grades and get serious about it if they are inclined to do so :thumbup:

...not everyone has a seemingly perfect track record and mindset like you do "FutureDocHopefl"...people go through different things at different parts of their lives for various reasons...try to save some compassion for us little guys who are still trying to figure things out! :thumbup:

[SIZE=-1]“Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle.”
-Plato[/SIZE]

No one can jeopardize your career but yourself...if you want to be a great podiatrist, no ONE student, no matter what GPA he or she has ....no matter how mixed his or her feelings are about podiatry ....has the capability...of jeopardizing your career...
...In these forums we try to give the benefit of the doubt and encourage those who have interest in podiatry to learn more about it...perhaps pull up their grades and get serious about it if they are inclined to do so :thumbup:

...not everyone has a seemingly perfect track record and mindset like you do "FutureDocHopefl"...people go through different things at different parts of their lives for various reasons...try to save some compassion for us little guys who are still trying to figure things out! :thumbup:

[SIZE=-1]“Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle.”
-Plato[/SIZE]

I see what you are saying, but I think his point was that if under qualified people keep going into podiatry, it makes it hard to raise the bar and better the profession because of all the incompetant people. You might see it this way when you start school and see that even some with good GPA's and MCAT scores turn out to be incompetant and just whiners about every little thing because they can't cut it or are just lazy. It's annoying.

I don't think people are really knocking this guy because his GPA but more because he sees podiatry as a back up and not a passion. These type of people sometimes become bitter about the profession because they went into as a back up and never becames successful so they blame the profession and cast a dark cloud upon it. It's one thing to change your mind because you find you like podiatry more but another thing to use it as a backup.

As long as there are skools with revolving doors with safety mechanisms for those in the know, there will be candidates that are questionable.

Many of the better clerkships know this and that's why they shouldn't get too impressed with GPA from certain P. schools.

Plus a 2.0 community college student would be a dam fool if he or she didn't go to POD school, because lord knows they ain't going to go to a medical school anwhere in these United States and a surgical residency is 99.999% out of the question and pigs will fly first.

As long as there are skools with revolving doors with safety mechanisms for those in the know, there will be candidates that are questionable...
This is true^, but it really doesn't bother me a whole heck of a lot what incoming candidate stats are; every school will take the best they can. At some programs, that means pretty good students, and at others, it'll be many borderline ones due to lack of apps. In the end, people from Ivy league flunk out, and people who slacked in undergrad turn things around and really shine. It's just like the NFL draft or a horse race: stats and undergrad history are just a predictor... not a 100% foolproof correlation. It all comes down to the individual... I think that being focused and interested in what you're being taught goes a great way toward success.

As long as there aren't pod graduates who are "questionable," then we'll be fine. Most of the bad or lazy students will flunk out, and the ones who make it through shouldn't be able to get a license due to inability to pass board exams. Even if they pass boards or get a license, the bottom of the barrel grads will usually be very limited by lack of residency training, etc.

WannaBeDoc, maybe I was a little too aggressive there, I'll be a man and take my medicine, so my apologies there.

I just hope that your career plans in Podiatry are sincere. There has been TONS of people I have talked to in my academic path (especially freshman) who are starting to see that Podiatry could be a backup. And at my place in college, it kinda gets me angry (well shoot very angry, lol)

When I first shadowed a Pod, man, I tell ya, I could already see into the future saying "I could definitely do this!", and after a few more visits I basically could have lived outside of their clinic, lol

So, again sorry for the rant and rave, but I just hope you are sincere with the career path.