how competitive is IM/cardiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samer333

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was told that getting iM/cardiolgy is becoming more easy to get.
How true is this? Also, what is the minimum step 1 score to get cardiology after iternal medicine??

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by samer333
I was told that getting iM/cardiolgy is becoming more easy to get.
How true is this? Also, what is the minimum step 1 score to get cardiology after iternal medicine??

thanks

FIrst answer is no. Cards has been competitive, and will continue to be competitive as long as the current compensation system persists and there is no sudden oversupply of cardiologists. You are till looking at a very small selective field.

Secondly, step 1 scores does not play a part in fellowship selection. At that stage, it's mostly subjective, and research/ connections/phone calls will play much more into the equation than standardized test scores. If you are talking about IM/Cards fast track, then your interest in cardiology, as manifested by your research and publications in the field, will be important. And yes, this particular fast track is difficult as well.

Depends also on where you are, and where you want to go. If you are at a program that has a strong cards fellowship, and they have a good track record of taking their own, then things can be a little easier.

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you guys for all the info. God bless.

Originally posted by Renovar
If you are talking about IM/Cards fast track, then your interest in cardiology, as manifested by your research and publications in the field, will be important. And yes, this particular fast track is difficult as well.

I wasn't aware that IM/Cards fast-track programs still existed. I think I remember one of the cardiologists I worked with talking about a 6-year program at the Brigham called "Hemi-Doc" that no longer exists. Can you list some of the programs that currently have a fast-track for cards? Thanks!