How can I improve math/science skills?

xnfs93hy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since I am not taking a math in my high school next year, I figure I should spend the time I have really solidifying my math and science skills. If that means reading an entire Alg2/Trig textbook, fine.

What do you recommend I do to prepare for difficult courses in math and science?

Seriously, because I know that I can tackle Calc III and all those classes in college, I just feel that I am lacking basic knowledge I should have. I always get screwed on the math section of the SAT.

It is like I am lacking basic knowledge.

I don't know.

I mean, I can get into AP US, and all these AP classes and stuff but whenever I walk into Chem, I just feel like I want to learn everything that is being taught but I always wind up with a B- on everything. It stinks. I feel like an idiot!

I mean, I can get through this year and everything but I cannot afford to make B's and C's in college. I need to spend my time this summer really nailing down what it takes to make A's in college math/science courses.

Does anyone know what I mean?

Members don't see this ad.

Get a tutor.

What is your math background? Are you up to pre-calc? If you don't have alg/trig before Calc, it's gonna suck.

Buy a workbook that has step by step solution for each question. Start from the basic problems and you can work through to a higher level (Pre-cal). Math is a subject that requires your previous knowledge to step up to a new level.

Here is my method when solving a math problem.

#1 Read question carefully, gather all the needed information
#2 Build an overall plan in my head.
#3 Apply the formula and calculations
#4 Does this calculation make sense ? Can -sin be there ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Most of the math in chemistry is algebra. Most of the math in physics is trig or calculus (depending which physics class you take).

I would actually recommend doing as many chemistry problems from your text as you can (use the answer key in the back or buy a solutions manual to check), rather than studying math by itself.

You may not be lacking in 'basic knowledge' but make the common mistake of overlooking a tiny detail (negative signs, etc) and not writing out every single step...I used to do this and forcing myself to slow down and work through problems methodically really helped.

Take a closer look at problems you get wrong and try to figure out why you got them wrong. Other than that I'm not sure what to tell you :confused: Hope that helped.

Get a tutor.

What is your math background? Are you up to pre-calc? If you don't have alg/trig before Calc, it's gonna suck.

Yes but for whatever reason, my school won't let me take it next year.

Personally, it seems like your algebra skills are lacking, so I would definitely focus on those first. You will be surprised how much faster you can do a lot of things if you pick up your algebra skills. Perhaps you are missing some main concepts but the general way to learn math is to just keep doing problems. I would either buy a book or borrow from school. Not to be mean, but you might want to just start out with something like "Algebra for Dummies" (no offense meant) simply because it will teach you the fundamentals. Once you get those down, keep moving.

Yes but for whatever reason, my school won't let me take it next year.

It could be because you left their Alg2 class and did it at home. They might not recognize that as completing their class. See if you can take the Alg2 final from your school to show that you learned the material.

It could be because you left their Alg2 class and did it at home. They might not recognize that as completing their class. See if you can take the Alg2 final from your school to show that you learned the material.
Yeah, this. Other wise you're gonna get hit hard in uni with the maths.

It is worth a shot but I'm pretty sure they won't let me.

I asked like four time. They said they do not allow seniors in pre calc.

I know we discussed this in the other thread, but can't I just self study it? Don't you learn all the trig and crap you need for Calc I through a pre calc textbook?

It's best to master your algebra and geometry skills, to the point where you can do perfect on the SAT math section. You'd be surprised by how many times you can apply algebraic and geometric math in real life. I am certain that I will be much more enlightened when I take Calculus and advanced-leve physics.

It is worth a shot but I'm pretty sure they won't let me.

I know we discussed this in the other thread, but can't I just self study it? Don't you learn all the trig and crap you need for Calc I through a pre calc textbook?

Theoretically, you can pretty much just learn all subjects from a textbook. However, I think, for you, reviewing and learning algebra would be of far greater benefit than self-studying pre-calc.

And honestly, I'm not completely sure what I learned in pre-calc that I used in calc, but then again, it has been like 7 years...now I feel really old.

Theoretically, you can pretty much just learn all subjects from a textbook. However, I think, for you, reviewing and learning algebra would be of far greater benefit than self-studying pre-calc.

And honestly, I'm not completely sure what I learned in pre-calc that I used in calc, but then again, it has been like 7 years...now I feel really old.

Is it even necessary to learn pre calc?

Honestly, is it just a waste of time?

I'm definitely going to make sure I nail down Algebra II. But what about trig? I haven't had much exposure to that.

Why on earth not?

If you can't take the class, do a prep textbook to keep it new. You're gonna need some trig.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it even necessary to learn pre calc?

Honestly, is it just a waste of time?

I'm definitely going to make sure I nail down Algebra II. But what about trig? I haven't had much exposure to that.

I think it's necessary to take it, but I can't figure out why. It's hard to explain. I think it was helpful just to do more practice with graphs and the trig stuff we did in pre-calc. I would not advise doing calc without it though. I just can't exactly remember what I learned in that class though; I just remember a lot of graphing manipulation.

that's crazy, I took it as a junior and I'm no math genius.
Maybe you can audit the class at a local community college? (no grade on your transcript)?

Precalc in high school was basically trig, with a little algebra. If you are going on to calculus try to take a precalc class that focuses on advanced algebra bc there is more algebra in calc than trig.

that's crazy, I took it as a junior and I'm no math genius.
Maybe you can audit the class at a local community college? (no grade on your transcript)?

Precalc in high school was basically trig, with a little algebra. If you are going on to calculus try to take a precalc class that focuses on advanced algebra bc there is more algebra in calc than trig.

Can you elaborate on that please?

I think I know what you mean but I'm confused.

Are you saying I could take a class there but have it not count but still learn the material and stuff?

I'd love to do that. But how would I go about doing that?

Can you elaborate on that please?

I think I know what you mean but I'm confused.

Are you saying I could take a class there but have it not count but still learn the material and stuff?

I'd love to do that. But how would I go about doing that?
Yes, that's what it means. You just have to pay the tuition. Although your CC probably has a program that will let you take it for credit.

Go look on their website.

Well it's your choice to learn the material or not :p Usually the way this is done is by talking to the professor before the class starts and making sure they understand they will not be giving you a grade in the course (it may show up as a "pass" or a weird letter).

Basically you do all the work the other students do, have your assignments graded (so you know what your weak points are and can improve them), but you won't get a grade on your transcript.

Many colleges have pre-requisites or placement tests for just about every math course so I would try to check for that. Though if you're auditing the class it shouldn't be as big of a deal if you don't have the pre-reqs.

Good luck!

Thank you guys! This helped a lot. I appreciate it :)

Seriously, because I know that I can tackle Calc III and all those classes in college, I just feel that I am lacking basic knowledge I should have.
Why do you keep talking about taking Calc 3 and other higher math classes? As you've been told many times, you don't need anything higher than Calc 2 and that's only required at Harvard. Trying to go farther in a subject you're shaky in when you don't absolutely have to is a poor plan.

Aside from that, there has been some good advice in this thread. Run with it.

Why do you keep talking about taking Calc 3 and other higher math classes? As you've been told many times, you don't need anything higher than Calc 2 and that's only required at Harvard. Trying to go farther in a subject you're shaky in when you don't absolutely have to is a poor plan.

Aside from that, there has been some good advice in this thread. Run with it.

Idk why I just think that if I understand what the hell I am doing and understand Calc I, then I should be able to handle upper level courses.

Calc II would make more sense to be used as an example.

Buy a workbook that has step by step solution for each question. Start from the basic problems and you can work through to a higher level (Pre-cal). Math is a subject that requires your previous knowledge to step up to a new level.

Here is my method when solving a math problem.

#1 Read question carefully, gather all the needed information
#2 Build an overall plan in my head.
#3 Apply the formula and calculations
#4 Does this calculation make sense ? Can -sin be there ?

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

The key to math and chemistry/physics is doing lots and lots of practice questions. It would help if you had a study partner to review the answers with, but otherwise you can use a tutor like someone else suggested. Shouldn't be too difficult to find a nearby tutor online, or if you have to... just visit your local university and post a tutor-wanted ad in the math/sciences building.

Shucks, push come to shove you could probably find people in SDN that would be willing to help with math/science. Look in the MCAT section, there are a ton of people asking biology/chemistry/physics questions, and no shortage of people offering answers.

Yeah, I would definitely get a workbook and just start doing problem after problem. At that level, the math is pretty concrete and there aren't too many abstract concepts. If you need any help just send me a PM or something.

Well I just emailed my local CC, so we will see what happens.

You definitely need a solid base in trigonometry to do well in calculus. Personally, I learned all my pre-calculus mathematics from reading a textbook so that is definitely a viable method of learning the material. However, just reading the textbook won't cut it. You need to make sure you understand the theory and know how to apply it. As far as practice problems go, you could do a few to make sure you know how to apply the concepts, but I find working a lot of problems to be a waste of time.

If they say no and you really feel you need to take a course so the material isn't a shocker when you're taking it for a grade, try going there in person and speaking with the math professor you want to take a class from (email them to find their office hours). If you go in person you're more likely to get a yes, or at least they should try to point you in the direction of someone that could help you :) If you just want to take the math in order to understand science courses I agree with everyone else, buying a solutions manual (and trying the problems before you look at the answer!) would be a better idea.

Most colleges require you to take at least one math course even if you major in something like English. So if you are REALLY bad in math you could audit a course like stats. A lot of people I know who are not science majors take statistics to satisfy their math requirement. This all depends on what school you go to, and the requirements for your major. Like someone said start by figuring out what you want to major in, and then look up the required classes online.

College really isn't that bad. And if you find yourself struggling, you can go to office hours where your professor will explain things to you one-on-one.

Well, my local one hasn't emailed me back (lazy!). So I emailed another CC about 30 minutes away from my house. I know for a fact that you can audit but I am asking if they would allow a HS to do it.

Really? In my schools, most of the people in precalc are seniors.

Yep. I don't get it either. And you are right.

I'm like.

"Uhm, alright...doesn't it go:

Algebra I
Geometry
Algebra II
Pre Calculus?"

It makes the most sense, and then you take Calc I you freshman year in college.

Whatever, hopefully these colleges I am emailing will allow me to audit their classes. Better off learning pre calc/Calc from a prof than from a crappy teacher @ my HS.

You are in AP Calc AB. You should be reccommending books to me ;).

Seriously, what textbook did you use?

You need to get an alg2 and pre-calc textbook first. :)

I still have my OSU Calc I and II book as well. I couldn't find my old exams though.

I still have my OSU Calc I and II book as well. I couldn't find my old exams though.

True ;).

I'm still waiting to hear from the colleges I emailed to. I'm thinking maybe b/c it is spring break or something...

What book(s) did you use for I and II?

I may be willing to buy notes from you, unless you want to give them to me for free :D.

If you need your books/notes, don't worry about it then.

What book(s) did you use for I and II?

I may be willing to buy notes from you, unless you want to give them to me for free :D.

If you need your books/notes, don't worry about it then.

I'm not sure where I put my notes. The book we used was Calculus:Early Transcendentals. It's a special OSU edition too. I doubt I will ever use my calc book again. :)

I'm not sure where I put my notes. The book we used was Calculus:Early Transcendentals. It's a special OSU edition too. I doubt I will ever use my calc book again. :)

You used that one book for I and II, correct?

I heard there is a series of YouTube videos by some MIT nerd who makes Calculus look easy. I'll check those out and maybe study Calculus before I get into college.

You are in AP Calc AB. You should be reccommending books to me ;).

Seriously, what textbook did you use?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Calculus-Brief-Wiley-Student-Horizon/dp/product-description/0471381551

This is the one I have, it's very very thorough and has step by step problems and solutions and even comes with a CD. Its also filled with all the calc formulas you will need/ever need. It's a bit pricey if you want to buy it but it's definitely worth it. It thoroughly covers:

Functions
Limits/continuity
Derivatives
Derivative applications
Integration
Integration applications
Exponential/Logarithmic and Inverse functions
Principles of integrals
Modeling etc....

Which are what you will do in Ap calc AB. BC is the exact same class except with a bit more material which the textbook covers in the end:

Series (Infinite, taylor. etc...)

I highly recommend this book for calculus, obviously you need to have a background in algebra/pre-calc.

I need to find and congratulate whoever created ratemyprofessor.com

Soooo helpful.

Should I take precalc part I and II or just go straight to Calculus I?

Take precal, we can't stress it any more.

The professor might have poor teaching skills too.

That is true but I guarantee it won't be as bad as learning it at my HS.

Besides you can pick your teachers in college.

try to study to the best of your ability - set up a schedule and with math - KEEP doing problems - this is same in college - especially Calculus I and Calculus II, the more problems you do and understand, the better you will do on tests..

for science, study early and study hard - bio is a lot of memorization and you will realize in medical school, memorization is 50% of the whole process (especially for anatomy).

o yea and whatever you do in high school, do NOT watch "one tree hill":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5eaAFAovRg&NR=1

That is true but I guarantee it won't be as bad as learning it at my HS.

Besides you can pick your teachers in college.

Just because you can pick your professors doesn't mean you never get bad ones..they wouldn't have jobs if they never taught.