Is it possible to improve my math SAT score by 90 points in one month?

oelizas

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
This question probably sounds crazy, but I just got my scores back yesterday and I'm kinda freaked out.

Basically my situation is, to reach my goal, my overall score needs to rise by 90 points. First off, is it even possible to do this in just one month? My reading/writing is good enough, but I'm very unhappy with my math score, so I would like the increase to come from there. I'm naturally better at English than I am at math, math has always taken more practice for me. I did very little preparation when I took the test for the first time on June 3rd (I did nothing for reading/writing and a just few lessons on Kahn Academy for math -- this was no where near enough, I don't think that it helped at all) so I am looking for resources that I can use to improve my math score before I retake the on August 26th. I've been doing some research, and I've read that Kahn Academy is not the best resource because it is restricted by certain guidelines set in place by the College Board, but I really don't know if this is true. Is Kahn Academy the best preparation tool to use for math specifically, or are there any better resources out there? Books, websites, I really don't care. I just don't think I have time to sign up for classes before I retake, otherwise that's what I would be doing.

Also, this isn't my main question, but I've been wondering about it for a long time and I just remembered. I don't really know how to explain what I'm talking about though, so I'm just going to post a picture.
e7jpjp.jpg

These are my percentiles for R/W. I don't understand why there are two of them, and what they mean. I've tried to do research before, and one of them seems to be some kind of estimate made by the College Board? Is this true, and, if so, where do they get the information from? Which one of these do colleges look at care about? I know that they have the descriptions right beside them, but I just don't understand what the difference between a "nationally representative group" and a "typical collage bound group" is. I've been confused about this since the first time I took the PSAT haha

Thanks to anyone who has actually read though all of this, or who has any advice!!

Members don't see this ad.

Possible? Yes. Probable? nah. Honestly just do the best u can, ur undergraduate school as long as it isn't garbage won't affect your chances at med school

Reactions: 1 user
The difference in the percentiles they gave you is that the first one considers your score in relation to everyone who takes the SAT, while the second considers your score in relation to everyone who "uses" their SAT score, i.e. goes to college. Since almost every HS student takes the SAT but not all go to college, there are a bunch of students, mostly at the lower end of the range of scores, who take the test but don't "use" their score. That makes the average of students who use their score higher than the average of all test takers, and therefore your score isn't quite as high in comparison to other "users." Congrats on a great score, though.

I don't have much advice in the way of math except try to do some practice tests and only use Khan Academy for concepts that are on the SAT that you don't know. The best way to get better at taking the test is to practice taking it, not necessarily watching videos.

Overall, though, don't stress—the SAT is becoming less and less important every year, and a lower score in one section won't kill you. Depending on where you want to go to college, it may or may not make any difference at all. And with a high score in reading, you will be fine to get into a good school, even if it's not the one you absolutely love right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
The difference in the percentiles they gave you is that the first one considers your score in relation to everyone who takes the SAT, while the second considers your score in relation to everyone who "uses" their SAT score, i.e. goes to college. Since almost every HS student takes the SAT but not all go to college, there are a bunch of students, mostly at the lower end of the range of scores, who take the test but don't "use" their score. That makes the average of students who use their score higher than the average of all test takers, and therefore your score isn't quite as high in comparison to other "users." Congrats on a great score, though.

That makes SO much more sense, thank you so much. Its been a mystery to me for so long and now I finally know haha

Going to be real with you:

The SAT is a half a memorization/competency test and half aptitude/IQ test. Realistically you can't expect to raise your score all that much. I learned this for myself. I spent money on a thorough class, studied a lot, and never raised my score more than 270 points total (old SAT 600-2400). If you haven't been studying seriously at all for math I'd start a rigorous studying program for that. Khan academy helps but try review books from the library; otherwise don't expect a huge change.

It's a reality of life that we have to all accept at some point.

I'd recommend you take the ACT if you're all about hard-work over natural smarts. Colleges don't have a preference between the two and you might find yourself scoring A LOT better on it than the SAT (I know I did).

Good Luck

Going to be real with you:

The SAT is a half a memorization/competency test and half aptitude/IQ test. Realistically you can't expect to raise your score all that much. I learned this for myself. I spent money on a thorough class, studied a lot, and never raised my score more than 270 points total (old SAT 600-2400). If you haven't been studying seriously at all for math I'd start a rigorous studying program for that. Khan academy helps but try review books from the library; otherwise don't expect a huge change.

It's a reality of life that we have to all accept at some point.

I'd recommend you take the ACT if you're all about hard-work over natural smarts. Colleges don't have a preference between the two and you might find yourself scoring A LOT better on it than the SAT (I know I did).

Good Luck

I'll look into the ACT again. A few months ago I was planning on taking it along with the SAT, but I decided to just take one of them and wait until I got my score back. I took the SAT because I was told that Maryland schools prefer it, but you're right that the ACT may be a better fit. Thank you very much for your answer!

I went from and overall of 1560 to 1900 on my sat back in the day. So it is possible. Just not probably.

I rose my score 120 in two weeks with effective study

I rose my score 120 in two weeks with effective study
Woah. I think that I would probably pass out if I got my next score back and it was 120 points higher. Is there anything in particular that you used to study?

take a ton of practice exams, and write in a notebook what your mistakes were. Go over those mistakes and make sure not to repeat them.

I got into college, and if I decide to go to a 4 year my average score will get me onto a decent school. It doesn't meaning anything if you go to Harvard and get a 2.8 ... (at least imo) Versus if you go to somewhere like Utah State University or Idaho State and obtain a 3.8. Which one looks more impressive? A school where you excelled and finished towards the top 5% of your class or one where you finish in the bottom 20% of your class? I understand it's an important process but don't let this bother you. If you want to become a doctor, get into college, and excel.