Improve BSMD Prospects?

Hkhan

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

So I'm going for BSMD programs and am planning to apply to most if not all of them that are open to me (some are location restricted) and was wondering how I could improve my chances beyond my current plan.

So what I'm planning to do (I'm a sophomore) is:

- Start volunteering at my local hospital as soon as I meet the age requirement (16 - early 2018)

- Start training as an EMT as soon as I meet the age req (also 16, have contacted local fire & rescue dept and they have confirmed I can start at this time with them).

- Hopefully perform some research at a lab at my state's public university his summer (at this point I have only gotten maybes/"contact me when I'm getting my lab #'s set up this winter[ish]").

-I also may volunteer at an Alzheimer's senior center (which my grandmother has).

- I plan to set up my schools HOSA chapter, have joined science Olympiad to compete in anatomy & physio.

[non-medical]
-Am my school's policy debate captain and qualified for states last year (placed fifth).

-Am in my schools marching band (tremendous time sink but am being forced by parents - will be section leader by senior year).

How can I further improve my prospects for BSMD's?

Also, I have two questions:

- how much does my debate help my prospects (because it is non - medical, I can easily qualify for nationals this year [my region is weak] - is this worth the time)?

- is alumni a factor in these extremely competitive programs (my father attended SKMC bsmd)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Also, please don't let this devolve into a debate about why bsmd's don't allow for full development of undergrad or am I sure I really want to do medicine (this is something I have and will continue to reflect upon a throughout my hs career).
To answer the inevitable question, yes, I know what becoming a doc entails (med school - 4 yrs, residency 3 - 7 [right now no way I'm doing neurosurg but after third year you never know...]).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, you're that kid that was debating in that "MD vs. DO" post right?

First of all, even though many of your statements were false, or at most, half-true, I commend you for doing all that research when you're not even in college yet. Props to you.

Now, to answer your question about BS/MD or BA/MD programs. I applied to many and was accepted into several of these about 4 years ago when I was in high school, and this is what I gathered through that process.

The bottom line is that these programs don't really give two ****s about your high school EC's. You kinda just have to have them. Do debate because you want to, not because you think it looks good on your resume. The only thing that matters are your stats, and maybe some clinical experiences (e.g. hospital volunteering, shadowing, etc.).

So the direct answer to your two questions are:
1. None
2. No. Having a family member as an alumni does nothing. That is, unless he/she has some direct influence over the admissions committee. If your family member was just another student, it doesn't really matter.

So, do whatever you want with your EC's as of now. Just make sure you have some clinical experiences ready before you interview. On top of that, make sure you have amazing stats. A 4.0 and a 100th percentile ACT/SAT score will get you a foot in the door right off the bat.

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

First of all, even though many of your statements were false, or at most, half-true, I commend you for doing all that research when you're not even in college yet. Props to you.

Now, to answer your question about BS/MD or BA/MD programs. I applied to many and was accepted into several of these about 4 years ago when I was in high school, and this is what I gathered through that process.

The bottom line is that these programs don't really give two ****s about your high school EC's. You kinda just have to have them. Do debate because you want to, not because you think it looks good on your resume. The only thing that matters are your stats, and maybe some clinical experiences (e.g. hospital volunteering, shadowing, etc.).

1. None
2. No. Having a family member as an alumni does nothing. That is, unless he/she has some direct influence over the admissions committee. If your family member was just another student, it doesn't really matter.

So, do whatever you want with your EC's as of now. Just make sure you have some clinical experiences ready before you interview. On top of that, make sure you have amazing stats. A 4.0 and a 100th percentile ACT/SAT score will get you a foot in the door right off the bat.

Good luck.
Thanks!

1. None

Good luck.
So you're saying that as long as I have ~1600 SAT and a 4.0, volunteering at the hospital, shadowing, and working as an EMT-B (basically my clinical experience) should allow me to gain acceptance?

So you're saying that as long as I have ~1600 SAT and a 4.0, volunteering at the hospital, shadowing, and working as an EMT-B (basically my clinical experience) should allow me to gain acceptance?

Yes. Those are the key criteria, but like I mentioned before, you should have other high school EC's. They are just not really important. You kinda just have to have them there to fill the blank space. You'll be questioned if you don't have any high school EC's, but you won't be commended for having them, if that makes sense.

Yes. Those are the key criteria, but like I mentioned before, you should have other high school EC's. They are just not really important. You kinda just have to have them there to fill the blank space. You'll be questioned if you don't have any high school EC's, but you won't be commended for having them, if that makes sense.
Yeah, I get it; just to show I'm doing something.