Hospital vaccine mandate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
in addition to the above article i linked that does a nice job of summarizing the protective nature of these vaccines is also this really great article summarizing key points and the studies they are based on.

Members don't see this ad.

Really?

You don't mind getting sick for 7-10 days and feeling like shiiit?
Mild hyperbole. I care in the same sense that I get annoyed by someone w/ a cold sneezing and wiping their hands everywhere. But I've never been one to carry around a bottle of hand sanitizer or avoid public transportation during flu season.

I know. "incredibly stupid" and "sickening"
incredibly stupid is purposely sticking a toothpick directly into your eyeball.
sickening is licking raw homeless feet we see in the ER.

not apt adjectives for getting a vaccine.

this thread is becoming worthless.
You guys are probably right about my “hyperbole,” but vaccine mandates have far reaching consequences and some of us see that. It’s less about a shot and more about a loss of freedom. I am sure that is eye roll inducing to many of you, but a lot of these moves are a foot in the door to a society under government control. And that IS sickening to people who love America and the principles it was founded upon. To see this as “it’s just a shot” is kinda myopic.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Y'all still arguing about COVID?

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 3 users
You guys are probably right about my “hyperbole,” but vaccine mandates have far reaching consequences and some of us see that. It’s less about a shot and more about a loss of freedom. I am sure that is eye roll inducing to many of you, but a lot of these moves are a foot in the door to a society under government control. And that IS sickening to people who love America and the principles it was founded upon. To see this as “it’s just a shot” is kinda myopic.
People said the exact same things when we started mandating seat belts

Reactions: 8 users
Look at this @Apollyon , a thread you started almost 10 years ago on the nutty anti-vaccine crowd. I found it at the bottom of this thread under "Similar Threads"

Reactions: 4 users
People said the exact same things when we started mandating seat belts

And seat belts prevent something that is not even contagious! It saves your own life! How dare the government tell me how I should strap myself into a car.

Conversation in 1950

Government Official A: "We have noticed a disturbing trend of 50K people dying a year and rising from auto accidents. Reports from the police and hospitals are that even minor accidents can lead to great morbidity and mortality."

Government Official B: "Can we do anything about it?"

Government Official A: "well some report came out that wearing something called a "seat belt" can save your life.

Government Official B: "That will be construed as infringing on people's personal rights."

Government Official A: "F that! F their personal freedoms!! I want to take them all away! Make them wear seatbelts!"

Conversation in 2020

New Government Official A: "Well that seatbelt law really did save lives. we are down to 30K deaths a year despite a massive increase in population."

New Government Official B: "Yea your buddy 70 years ago had the courage to really stick it to the freedom lovers out there."

New Government Official A: "Yup. Now there are more of them alive and they are as loud as ever. Maybe if we didn't institute that law, a disproportionate number of them would have died off. Imagine that!"

New Government Officals A and B: <chuckle> <chuckle>

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
FWIW, I think the one mistake being made is not acknowledging the protective effect of prior infection.

I would probably have mandated proof of infection OR vaccination – at least in the short term. OG infection probably not as useful against the current variants, but at the same time, the vaccines haven't yet been modified, either.

For the future, it probably turns into an influenza- or TDAP-type thing where you have to have an annual vaccination or vaccination within five years or whatever the evidence ultimately shows.

Moot down here in NZ – vaccine mandates for all! because virtually no one has prior infection – and if they did, it was the OG strain and >15 months ago.

We still don't have one and have been told unvaccinated caregivers are an important part of the team. We have been told we will never have one.

We do have a flu vaccine mandate.

Thank God the current batch of snowflakes weren't around in the 1960s and 1970s or else we'd still have small pox around.

I'm still required to wear clothes to participate in public as well, but I guess you only get to moan about "rights" in situations were you can overload hospitals and leave kids as orphans.

Thank God the current batch of snowflakes weren't around in the 1960s and 1970s or else we'd still have small pox around.

I'm still required to wear clothes to participate in public as well, but I guess you only get to moan about "rights" in situations were you can overload hospitals and leave kids as orphans.
What’s next? Allowing surgeons to decide if they feel it’s necessary to wash their hands and wear gloves for an operation? 😂

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What’s next? Allowing surgeons to decide if they feel it’s necessary to wash their hands and wear gloves for an operation? 😂
I would hate to violate their freedom.

Also why do cooks have to wash their hands after using the restroom? Won't someone think of their liberty?

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
For the record, I'm not an "anti-vaxxer". If you have a lac, makes sure your tetanus is up to date. Hanging around feral bats? That rabies series might be a good bet.

I'm against mindlessly deploying a product that is proving to be far less effective than promised without regard to the risk/benefit ratio for individual patients. Particularly given what we've seen with new variants. There is no proof whatsoever that these shots are even close to ending the pandemic.

In fact, I'll even say this...if I needed a Covid vaccination (I don't), I'd choose the Sinovac or Covivac products over the Pfizer/J&J/Moderna product.

• Hmm
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I'm against mindlessly deploying a product that is proving to be far less effective than promised without regard to the risk/benefit ratio for individual patients. Particularly given what we've seen with new variants. There is no proof whatsoever that these shots are even close to ending the pandemic.

That’s not what’s going on, and you know it. Anyone who makes this statement is being intellectually dishonest.

Reactions: 6 users
That’s not what’s going on, and you know it. Anyone who makes this statement is being intellectually dishonest.

That's precisely what is going on, and the only logical conclusion you can come to when looking at the world wide data, specifically that coming out of countries with the highest vaccination rates.

Reactions: 1 user
That's precisely what is going on, and the only logical conclusion you can come to when looking at the world wide data, specifically that coming out of countries with the highest vaccination rates.
It's not a sterilizing vaccine. It reduces overall morbidity and mortality, logically as vaccination rates increase the percent of fully cases in fully vaccinated individuals will increase as well. It does appear to lower R0. While not quite as nice as a sterilizing vaccine, that's still pretty good.

Reactions: 3 users
96% of Portugal’s population is now vaccinated, including 100% of adults age 50 and over. Nobody is dropping dead from the vaccine, nor are they seeing rates of myocarditis and vaccine related complications skyrocket. Hospitalizations from covid are way down, and death rate is near zero there.

Reactions: 9 users
It's young males who get myocarditis.

I haven't got the vibe from our hospital system that it'll be mandatory...yet. I think hospitals will face quite the uphill battle if they mandate it at this point.

only other question I have is whether I could get an alternative offering with WHO approval that isn't available in the US (sinovac). guess I'll cross that bridge if/when that day comes. just seems pretty dumb given the point of where we are and the fact that even the Feds have given up on withholding CMS money as a threat to hospitals to enforce compliance.
If you're going into residency, you better tread lightly. Regardless of what you think, you will get the label of "vaccine denier", irrespective of truth, and the first thing they call you will be what sticks with you your entire time there.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
lulz I'll lean into how we faked the moon landing too! if I'm gunna get stuck with being a crank, may as well have a little fun with it amirite?
These are self-centered people who think they're always right, and like the smell of their own farts. Remember, some animals have to live in the zoo, because they can't survive in the wild. And caged animals become weird. You do you. I'm just saying, tread lightly.

• Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.