Hospital vaccine mandate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Birds

Angry Troll
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Our hospital is just saying that you have to wear an N-95 if you are not vaccinated. Of course, the people who do this do it half-assed, so it's not a very effective policy.
What about your hospital? Any hospital you know of impose a vaccine mandate that is actually effective?

Members don't see this ad.

Mine was the first in the country. No n-95 exceptions, you get vaxxed or get out. Worked pretty good, 130 or so people were fired, the rest got the vaccine.

• Love
Reactions: 23 users
Our hospital is just saying that you have to wear an N-95 if you are not vaccinated. Of course, the people who do this do it half-assed, so it's not a very effective policy.
What about your hospital? Any hospital you know of impose a vaccine mandate that is actually effective?
Sounds like you need those infection control people who stand outside rooms watching to make sure everyone uses the hand sanitizer going in and out to instead wander the halls policing N95s

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)

We have to wear eye protection, mask (not necessarily an N95) in every room we go into. Even if the pt has an itchy tooth.

If pt has covid you have to wear eye protection, mask, and gown

I’m all for schools, private employers and businesses mandating the vaccine. That applies pressure without coercion. If people refuse, there’s an acceptable alternative: they choose another job, school or business to frequent.

I’m much more skeptical of a government mandate. For it to work, people that refuse would have to be arrested and sent to jail, or force vaccinated.

As long as vaccination prevents death and severe disease among the vaccinated, I think the government forced approach, is extreme and unnecessary.

If mutations lead to mass deaths among the vaccinated, a more forceful approach might have more utility.

Reactions: 3 users
I’m all for schools, private employers and businesses mandating the vaccine. That applies pressure without coercion. If people refuse, there’s an acceptable alternative: they choose another job, school or business to frequent.

I’m much more skeptical of a government mandate. For it to work, people that refuse would have to be arrested and sent to jail, or force vaccinated.

As long as vaccination prevents death and severe disease among the vaccinated, I think the government forced approach, is extreme and unnecessary.

If mutations lead to mass deaths among the vaccinated, a more forceful approach might have more utility.
You could argue COVID can cause amongst the vaccinated, indirectly through an overloaded healthcare system dealing with all the unvaccinated. (Whether this is or will actually happen, I’m unsure. Personally kind of doubtful. My guess is that the current crisis in parts of the country is more about staffing than volume)

There are LOTS of nurses, CNA and respiratory therapists on social media at my hospital who are banning together to walk out if they mandate the COVID vaccine, which our leadership is saying will happen in the next month or two. I'm sure there are non-vocal ones who are in that camp as well. I guess working short staffed for a while it is!

Reactions: 2 users
Honestly, I think we should encourage these idiots. Flush the whole ‘nurses are heroes and doctors are villains’ trope down the toilet finally.

Last edited:
Reactions: 17 users
There are LOTS of nurses, CNA and respiratory therapists on social media at my hospital who are banning together to walk out if they mandate the COVID vaccine, which our leadership is saying will happen in the next month or two. I'm sure there are non-vocal ones who are in that camp as well. I guess working short staffed for a while it is!
Should cause an increase in salaries when this happens. It will be hard for them to find jobs in the healthcare industry if the majority of health systems mandate vaccinations. It will be a decent number of unvaccinated trying to get a limited amount of jobs where vaccinations aren't required.

Reactions: 1 users
In my group, we decided that before we mandate the vaccine, we'd try some positive motivation first. We gave 1 paid day off as an incentive for unvaccinated employees to get the shot. It's gotten our % vaccinated up much higher. We've pretty much decided that once the FDA give full and final approval, that's when we're going to mandate it: Get the shot, quit, or be fired.

Reactions: 9 users
In my group, we decided that before we mandate the vaccine, we'd try some positive motivation first. We gave 1 paid day off as an incentive for unvaccinated employees to get the shot. It's gotten our % vaccinated up much higher. We've pretty much decided that once the FDA give full and final approval, that's when we're going to mandate it: Get the shot, quit, or be fired.

Amazing how people give up their "convictions" and "fears" for one day of PTO. What *****s.

I hope the vaccinated people got 5 days PTO for doing the right thing.

Reactions: 8 users

You bring up another one of my points. FDA approval is big for me. Unfortunately you likely need more time to assess safety data.

Seriously? These are full fledged docs we are talking about? All you need to do is bribe them with money and they will do something that will likely “poison them, track them, or let the aliens find them and stick things up their ani?”
Seriously? Or are we including MAs and Secretaries and billing people here?
SMH

Members don't see this ad :)
You bring up another one of my points. FDA approval is big for me. Unfortunately you likely need more time to assess safety data.
I don’t suppose you’ve heard of countries like Australia, England, New Zealand, much of Europe, heck maybe Canada who all use drugs that are not FDA approved all the damn time? Drugs made in the US?

Amazing how people give up their "convictions" and "fears" for one day of PTO. What *****s.

Have you seen those articles of antivaxxers scurying under cloak of darkness, disguised, getting vaccinated, so their friends and family dont find out?

Yaaa these arent exactly the most honest, courageous folks out there.

Reactions: 4 users
I don’t suppose you’ve heard of countries like Australia, England, New Zealand, much of Europe, heck maybe Canada who all use drugs that are not FDA approved all the damn time? Drugs made in the US?

We use drugs for indications not FDA approved ALL the time.

That hospital system in houston saw 150 people quit--out of 25,000. People talk a big game but will seldom actually follow through

Reactions: 8 users
Or are we including MAs and Secretaries and billing people here?
SMH
I'm referring mostly to non-physician employees. My group has 150 employees and over 100 of them are non-providers. I think all of our docs have gotten the shot, although it's possible there's a few holdouts I'm not aware of.

Last edited:
They actually didn't. The vaccinated people got vaccinated by choice. Then as the months dragged on, the holdouts were eventually paid to get vaccinated. The people who got the shot early were pissed off they got nothing, for essentially doing the right thing, and that the anti-vaxxers got paid for being stupid. I wasn't please for the roll out and actually opposed the PTO for getting vaccinated. I favor the "get jabbed or get out" approach. I have a say in my group, but it's not a dictatorship.

Does anyone favor a vaccine mandate with more severe punishments for refusal?

Fines?

Arrest?

Jail?

(I'm not suggesting we do this, I'm just wondering how far people are willing to go).

Fines?

Arrest?

Jail?

(I'm not suggesting we do this, I'm just wondering how far people are willing to go).

I mean look at what happened to typhoid mary for refusing to stop willfully spreading disease

Fines?

Arrest?

Jail?

Some kinda cash payout would have been best. I think we could get 90% compliance with $1000 payable upon full course of vaccine, be it J&J or a 2-shot mRNA. That money would also serve as economic stimulus

Should cause an increase in salaries when this happens. It will be hard for them to find jobs in the healthcare industry if the majority of health systems mandate vaccinations. It will be a decent number of unvaccinated trying to get a limited amount of jobs where vaccinations aren't required.

These nurses in questions are apparently looking at other careers altogether outside of nursing, some are looking at "telehealth only". At least in my area there is a movement growing and added some RTs to the mix in their propaganda. I was working over the weekend and overheard a group saying if they force the jab they will shove it up the admin's you-know-what. A nurse got into a HUGE argument on social media with a pharmacist who was calmly trying to portray the positives on the vaccine when the nurses response is "My platform is to spread choice, we can refuse care because we believe in informed consent! WE practice holistic care" followed by 200 likes and the pharmacist got laughed at.

The physicians don't have this kind of thought process...:unsure:

• Wow

Fines?

Arrest?

Jail?

No. We over-incarcerate people in this country.

The cost of monetarily incentivizing people to receive a vaccine would be substantially less than the cost to society of incarceration.

At one point they were mass releasing people from jail/prison due to COVID-19 concerns. Would seem odd to then throw people back into jail because of declining an immunization. I can’t ever see it happening.

Reactions: 1 user
Some kinda cash payout would have been best. I think we could get 90% compliance with $1000 payable upon full course of vaccine, be it J&J or a 2-shot mRNA. That money would also serve as economic stimulus
There's been all kinds of incentives. My hospital offered $500 cash to employees, before the 'mandate' stick came out. Other states and agencies have offered baseball tickets, beer, cash, and even AR-15 assault rifles!

Fines?

Arrest?

Jail?

You know the answer to this. Others on this forum have stated that any means necessary to get people vaccinated, and to prevent transmission including locking up people with no disease. Fortunately these people are in charge of nothing.

• Okay...
I'm telling ya, orchiectomy / oopherectomy for those unwilling to get the vaccine will change behavior INSTANTLY.

• Dislike
The vast majority of the hospitals in our area have madated it you have either completed your series or you are fired. Regardless of your job title, even if you work from home - I am guess they did that to avoid any of a "well, I can work from home" or "you are playing favorites" easier and less legal BS to just simplify it and put everybody under the same umbrella.

I also like how the hospitals (except for one in our area) announced it as a joint announcement to avoid the "I am going to hospital XYZ argument".

There will be limited religious and medical exemptions - but very limited - you can't make up your own religion, or say my minister is against it so am I - I think they even gave a list of religions and you have to prove you are a member.

I was talking to some of our pharmacy techs and explaining the rationale as to why. I struggled how to put this politely, but look at the professions with the most years of education (obviously the docs, then pharmacists, and other APP's) and virtually all of them are getting vaccinated - it is the lower educated that seem to be the groups that are most likely to not get vaxxed. I try to encourage them to believe those that are more educated in the topic.

There will be limited religious and medical exemptions - but very limited - you can't make up your own religion, or say my minister is against it so am I - I think they even gave a list of religions and you have to prove you are a member.
Have you seen some of these “preachers” on youtube? Their “religion” is idiocy.

This is a very slippery slope although I believe case law probably lies on the public health side. Think seatbelts and helmets.

Have you seen some of these “preachers” on youtube? Their “religion” is idiocy.

This is a very slippery slope although I believe case law probably lies on the public health side. Think seatbelts and helmets.

I think some of the preachers my co-workers go to are just as bad - some of the crap I hear them say... (and I am someone who attends church routinely)

i do agree with the slippery slope to some extent, but i see this in the same catergory as flu vaccine mandates - it is protecting the pt - not necessarily for protecting you (not trying to start the vaccinated transmission discussion)

Last edited:
I think some of the preachers my co-workers go to are just as bad - some of the crap I hear them say...

i do agree with the slippery slope to some extent, but i see this in the same catergory as flu vaccine mandates - it is protecting the pt - not necessarily for protecting you (not trying to start the vaccinated transmission discussion)
I understand your point. So why aren't hospitals just copying their flu vaccine policy to the COVID vaccine policy? I'd have no problem with that whatsoever.

I understand your point. So why aren't hospitals just copying their flu vaccine policy to the COVID vaccine policy? I'd have no problem with that whatsoever.
I believe ours did - I don't know of any differences between the two. Both have the same limit exemptions, a deadline, and require you to show proof of vaccination.
There might be some differences that I don't know of because I was complaint so didn't worry more than that

They actually didn't. The vaccinated people got vaccinated by choice. Then as the months dragged on, the holdouts were eventually paid to get vaccinated. The people who got the shot early were pissed off they got nothing, for essentially doing the right thing, and that the anti-vaxxers got paid for being stupid. I wasn't please for the roll out and actually opposed the PTO for getting vaccinated. I favor the "get jabbed or get out" approach. I have a say in my group, but it's not a dictatorship.

And they have lotteries in several states to incentive the holdout idiots to get vaxxed

If you could get away with mandatory vaccines without any legal ramifications by now, I'm sure that it would have been implemented all over the country by now. But it has not so that should tell you something.

We are past the point of no return with vaccinating the unvaccinated.

It absolutely would result in legal/constitutional challenges. You'd also have widespread civil disobedience to any order from many individual states, counties, and millions of individuals. The chaos/violence that would result from mandatory vaccines would negate any beneficial effect.

• Okay...
I don't know about violence but their would definitely be enough pushback to cause chaos.

Let's say a company requires mandatory vaccines and then the employees all quit or strike--that could be a big problem if the services that company offers are very important.

Well government dragging people from their homes to forcibly vaccinate them would cause problems.....

Let's say a company requires mandatory vaccines and then the employees all quit or strike--that could be a big problem if the services that company offers are very important.

Nah, many large companies have already mandated vaccines and were happy to terminate the small number of employees who have refused. As momentum gets going this is going to become the norm (and has already passed legal challlenge).

I agree that forcibly vaccinating people is not worth the unrest and possible violence that would ensue.

Barring people from working (and participating in society) is a much better path, because it gives people a “choice.” I think most businesses will eventually follow suit because they will become known as anti-vaccine and stand to loose more business once it’s known. I’d rather go to a restaurant/cruise/clinic where I knew everyone inside was vaccinated (and I’m betting more than 50% of the population would agree).

Reactions: 4 users
I just find it amazing that some people are threatening civil war over a two second jab in the arm

Didn’t Australia do something like tax people more who chose not to vaccinate their kids, or give an additional tax break to those that did. The money was to go toward responding to increased costs due to dealing with outbreaks etc. I think that’s a interesting idea.

Didn’t Australia do something like tax people more who chose not to vaccinate their kids, or give an additional tax break to those that did. The money was to go toward responding to increased costs due to dealing with outbreaks etc. I think that’s a interesting idea.

It might violate the Equal Protections clause to tax one group differently.

It might violate the Equal Protections clause to tax one group differently.
Of course it wouldn't. While someone may be able to jump though hoops via a conservative court to prove you cant tax someone more, you can certainly preferentially give people tax breaks. People get tax breaks for purchasing electric vehicles, for having kids, for getting married, etc. Heck, there is no federal drinking age, it is enforced through state highway funds. There is no reason to believe that you cannot incentivize vaccines via a tax break or state funding other than partisanship. Furthermore, based on state police powers there are far more draconian mechanisms that have stood the scrutiny of the Supreme Court. You can even fine people for not being vaccinated based on Jacobson v. Massachusetts which is a public health 101 case.

Reactions: 3 users
Of course it wouldn't. While someone may be able to jump though hoops via a conservative court to prove you cant tax someone more, you can certainly preferentially give people tax breaks. People get tax breaks for purchasing electric vehicles, for having kids, for getting married, etc. Heck, there is no federal drinking age, it is enforced through state highway funds. There is no reason to believe that you cannot incentivize vaccines via a tax break or state funding other than partisanship. Furthermore, based on state police powers there are far more draconian mechanisms that have stood the scrutiny of the Supreme Court. You can even fine people for not being vaccinated based on Jacobson v. Massachusetts which is a public health 101 case.

I'd love to see any politician try to put this through.

Status
Not open for further replies.