Hofstra vs. Albany

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yonkl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I was just invited to interview at Hofstra. I don't know how I feel about new medical schools and am already into Albany. I have heard Hofstra is interviewing many candidates for not so many spots. My Question is whether it is worth interviewing at Hofstra. Is it noticeably better or more respected than Albany? I am coming from Boston, so travel is a consideration but not prohibitive. Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hofstra is new, so time will tell how the program will work out. Albany is much more established (170+ years) and has an extensive medical education program.

It's up to you if you want to have choices in the end of the app/interview process.

Personally, if Albany was my only acceptance and Hofstra was my only upcoming interview, I'd just take Albany unless I was really pumped on the interview invite.

Hi,
I was just invited to interview at Hofstra. I don't know how I feel about new medical schools and am already into Albany. I have heard Hofstra is interviewing many candidates for not so many spots. My Question is whether it is worth interviewing at Hofstra. Is it noticeably better or more respected than Albany? I am coming from Boston, so travel is a consideration but not prohibitive. Thanks for the help!

Hofstra is new so im not sure how one would really assess that

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say take the interview... travel from Boston isn't a huge deal, I have heard good things about the Hofstra program, and they are associated with North Shore-LIJ which is a well respected hospital system with a long history of PGY training

depends on your file i think. remember hofstra accepts 40 students out of 800 interviewed. while i think the new program has good points, it may be a waste of a trip statistically

Status
Not open for further replies.