High GPA; Low MCAT; pre-requisite question...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jarrettw

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a High GPA; 3.8 Science; 3.5 cum. I have a 20 MCAT. (these GPA figures are based on calculations that AACPMAS comes up with based on my entire college history) I also am at a school that runs on quarters and am lacking 2 quarter hours of organic chemistry. I have ten quarter hours which is not equivalent to 8 semester hours. My school does not offer organic three but does offer chemistry III and physics III. So I have all other pre-requisite hours. I have also taken Biochemistry I and II. I made A's in both. is there any possibility of admissions waiving my two credits of organic. If you look at my most recent trends, I have a 3.9 overall GPA with a 3.88 science GPA. My GPA was affected greatly by my first attempt at college 15 years ago. I am going to graduate summa cum laude. with a 3.92 GPA in March (this GPA is based on my institution GPA; they do not consider grades that do not count towards my degree).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You drop your phone in the toilet too? I hate it when that happens and you can't call admissions like an adult and ask yourself...

I have a High GPA; 3.8 Science; 3.5 cum. I have a 20 MCAT. (these GPA figures are based on calculations that AACPMAS comes up with based on my entire college history) I also am at a school that runs on quarters and am lacking 2 quarter hours of organic chemistry. I have ten quarter hours which is not equivalent to 8 semester hours. My school does not offer organic three but does offer chemistry III and physics III. So I have all other pre-requisite hours. I have also taken Biochemistry I and II. I made A's in both. is there any possibility of admissions waiving my two credits of organic. If you look at my most recent trends, I have a 3.9 overall GPA with a 3.88 science GPA. My GPA was affected greatly by my first attempt at college 15 years ago. I am going to graduate summa cum laude. with a 3.92 GPA in March (this GPA is based on my institution GPA; they do not consider grades that do not count towards my degree).

I think your good with your current scores. Your biochem may suffice for orgo but you will have to call and ask about that.

If you retake the MCAT and score around a 25 you are looking at some really good scholarships. Maybe 1/2 tuition.... Well worth the pain in the butt to retake that exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
You drop your phone in the toilet too? I hate it when that happens and you can't call admissions like an adult and ask yourself...

Just looking for advice. I have already called a couple of schools and they needed to get some course descriptions from me. I have to wait till they get back from break after the New Year and they will let me know. Sorry that this got you so upset. I can tell you are a wonderful person and perfect for working in healthcare. You will make a great doctor some day. People will be asking you for more help than I was asking for. I hope you can be patient enough to help them out. Thanks for your help, really.

I think your good with your current scores. Your biochem may suffice for orgo but you will have to call and ask about that.

If you retake the MCAT and score around a 25 you are looking at some really good scholarships. Maybe 1/2 tuition.... Well worth the pain in the butt to retake that exam.

Thanks for your advice. I have already thought about retaking the MCAT.

Last edited:
Your question was whether a pod program would let you substitute a pre-req or not...the only place you can get that answer is by speaking directly to the program.

The people coming into a podiatrists office aren't looking for advice on how to treat their VSD...

Your question was whether a pod program would let you substitute a pre-req or not...the only place you can get that answer is by speaking directly to the program.

The people coming into a podiatrists office aren't looking for advice on how to treat their VSD...

Whatever man. Thanks again for your help. It has been life changing. I guess you get a kick out of trying to belittle the people who are just beginning to go down this road. Good luck with life.

I think a lot of schools will take biochem to replace some orgo.

It seems strange your schools only have 10 credit hours of orgo? I am on the semester schedule so I never had any experience with credit hours. But is that normal for your school? Are you missing lab credits?

Reason I ask if that is normal for your school is because it could be a built in 10= 12 requirement. So for example, my school does not offer a pre-req 8 credit of english. how my school does it is everyone has to take 4 credits of english/writing class and then they have to do 2 writing components in their major. So that is good enough for any medical/ pod/dental/whatever school pre-req. Many schools say "blah blah hours or equivalent" and equivalent meaning whatever your school deem is good enough to meet the pre-req.

Anyhow, if 10 credits of orgo is all your school offers, then maybe it is their equivalent? I can't see how a school's curriculum committee would mess up so bad as to not have all the pre-req classes available, Also is a good amount of your school pre-health?

It seems strange your schools only have 10 credit hours of orgo? I am on the semester schedule so I never had any experience with credit hours. But is that normal for your school? Are you missing lab credits?

Yes, this is normal. However, they do offer 13 credits of Physics and Gen Chem. I guess they assume that Biochem will suffice for the organic requirements.

You may be right, that this is deemed equivalent. I don't know. I guess I will need to wait and see what the admission staff says at these schools. Ultimately, I would like to apply to any school and am just hoping one will give me a shot. I work full time and take double full load and will not be able to retake the MCAT. Anyhow, I appreciate the advice.

Yes, this is normal. However, they do offer 13 credits of Physics and Gen Chem. I guess they assume that Biochem will suffice for the organic requirements.

You may be right, that this is deemed equivalent. I don't know. I guess I will need to wait and see what the admission staff says at these schools. Ultimately, I would like to apply to any school and am just hoping one will give me a shot. I work full time and take double full load and will not be able to retake the MCAT. Anyhow, I appreciate the advice.

You will get a shot at most of the schools... but im telling you.. Find a way to retake that exam. You could save yourself some SERIOUS loans... I think its 7% fixed interests rate right now through the government. That seems pretty high to me but it is what it is. If you could score 1/2 tuition at some schools (I think OCPM and Scholl do this, im sure others do as well) then you could potentially save yourself 50K+ before interest... Find a way to retake that exam.

You will get a shot at most of the schools... but im telling you.. Find a way to retake that exam. You could save yourself some SERIOUS loans... I think its 7% fixed interests rate right now through the government. That seems pretty high to me but it is what it is. If you could score 1/2 tuition at some schools (I think OCPM and Scholl do this, im sure others do as well) then you could potentially save yourself 50K+ before interest... Find a way to retake that exam.

I second this. Be aware that @ OCPM the minimum suggested MCAT score is 21 (Does that mean you won't get in with a 20? Maybe. I dunno.).

To my knowledge the schools that offer 1/2 tuition are OCPM, Barry, and Scholl's.

I second this. Be aware that @ OCPM the minimum suggested MCAT score is 21 (Does that mean you won't get in with a 20? Maybe. I dunno.).

To my knowledge the schools that offer 1/2 tuition are OCPM, Barry, and Scholl's.

They will take lower than what they say. Especially with the OP's high gpa.

Since we're talking podiatry admissions retaking the MCAT couldn't hurt. Just know that the chance of scoring higher on the MCAT is essentially the same as scoring another 20 or even lower. The MCAT and AAMC publish these statistics so you can go to their website and see the % of retakers who raised their score based on their initial score in each subject.

Even with a 20, most programs will give you money. Those scholarships are rarely renewable. You need to be 25+ to get a renewable award and even those can be pulled in your second year if you aren't top 1/3-1/4 of your class.

Then I think you are fine. Make sure you say that though or better yet, clear it with admissions and say "admissions at my school told me this is their policy"

Most schools will understand, heck, what are you supposed to do when your school doesn't offer more than 10 credits?????????? Also, you can put that if worst comes to worst, once you get accepted, you will take the last 2 credits over the summer at a CC or a local school before the fall of POD school on a conditional acceptance pending the completion of those two credits. (seriously though, they can't expect you to go to two schools during the semester just to finish up two more credits)

EDIT: get a letter from your school saying it is equilvant and they use biochem to fill the gap. Seriously, very very easy to do. I got a letter from my school for the English thing, and also printed off somewhere on the handbook saying it is good enough to fulfill the English req.

Biochem replacing ochem is a school thing, not a aacpmas thing. I also agree with dtrack about the odds of retaking the exam. Highly unlikely you increase 5 points. More realistic is a bump of +/- 3 (17-23 range)

If someone told me today... Im holding $50K. All you have to do is score 1 point above the national average (24) on the MCAT and its yours.

I would take that exam...

A 25 isn't worth $50k. The big scholarships aren't guaranteed for your 4 years. You have to stay at the top of your class. If the best you can do on the MCAT is a 25 then you will be hard pressed to stay close enough to the top of the class to keep the scholarship.

Also, when do you stop taking the MCAT? I mean, lets say you score a 23 then next time around. You take it again and score a 23 again. The odds of you gain scoring higher is unrealistic and by now you've wasted a whole application cycle. In that year you spent trying to get a scholarship, you lost out on $150k that your buddies made because they got out a year before you.

Like I said, if you can take it in February, do it, it couldn't hurt. But when you don't do good enough to get one of the top scholarships, don't keep trying...

A 25 isn't worth $50k. The big scholarships aren't guaranteed for your 4 years. You have to stay at the top of your class. If the best you can do on the MCAT is a 25 then you will be hard pressed to stay close enough to the top of the class to keep the scholarship.

Also, when do you stop taking the MCAT? I mean, lets say you score a 23 then next time around. You take it again and score a 23 again. The odds of you gain scoring higher is unrealistic and by now you've wasted a whole application cycle. In that year you spent trying to get a scholarship, you lost out on $150k that your buddies made because they got out a year before you.

Like I said, if you can take it in February, do it, it couldn't hurt. But when you don't do good enough to get one of the top scholarships, don't keep trying...

I dont understand where that year came and went... lost me on that one.

Yeah maybe the OP will not stay in the top 25% of his class or what ever the cut off is... but what if he does? No one can say for sure as we dont know what the OP is capable of (minus the crappy MCAT). If his story isnt fabricated and he has nearly a 4.0 gpa (after taking time off to mature) then I dont see why the OP could not be in the top 25% as he obviously has his ducks in line.

And I agree if you have a MCAT score its harder to increase it... but I agree with this more if you have a much higher score. A 20 is below average. It shouldnt be that hard to get it up to at least average with some hard studying (which sound like OP doesnt have time to do) but i still think its worth finding a way to hit the books and get a better score.

dyk343 said:
I dont understand where that year came and went... lost me on that one.

You suck at the MCAT in November. You follow dyk's advice and take it again in April (yes you could take it in Jan, but that would defeat the purpose of retaking it seeing as 1 month isn't enough time to "prepare" to yourself to score higher). You realize that the MCAT is a very accurate test (statistically speaking) and you suck again. You follow dyk's advice one more time and take it in July...too late now to apply, gotta wait a year, but at least you got a scholarship that may or may not be worth $50k.

dyk343 said:
It shouldnt be that hard to get it up to at least average with some hard studying

dyk343 said:
(which sound like OP doesnt have time to do)

...ok, so your advice is based on a situation/goal that you don't believe the OP can realistically reach?

You suck at the MCAT in November. You follow dyk's advice and take it again in April (yes you could take it in Jan, but that would defeat the purpose of retaking it seeing as 1 month isn't enough time to "prepare" to yourself to score higher). You realize that the MCAT is a very accurate test (statistically speaking) and you suck again. You follow dyk's advice one more time and take it in July...too late now to apply, gotta wait a year, but at least you got a scholarship that may or may not be worth $50k.

...ok, so your advice is based on a situation/goal that you don't believe the OP can realistically reach?

You win dtrack. Merry Christmas!