will getting a high masters/SMP GPA get me in for next year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prepod2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Here are my current stats:
MCAT: 489
sGPA: 2.34
cGPA: 2.67

Multiple ECS including thousands upon thousands of paid clincal hours at multiple hospitals (3000+ hours)
letters from DOs, MD, working on DPM letter

I am enrolling in a biomed/SMP program this fall. If I get a high GPA (3.8+, obviously aiming for 4.0), will these stats give me a chance for next cycle?

Getting a high GPA in an SMP will give you a chance anywhere, even DO programs. This is common sense. Even an SMP around 3.3+ would net you interview invites to podiatry programs. It depends purely on how hard you work during your SMP.

Focus on what you can control. Hypotheticals do not get you anywhere until after you have finished your SMP.

If you are nervous, use that energy to be productive. Consider an MCAT retake if your SMP does not already require you to do one.

Reactions: 1 user
Here are my current stats:
MCAT: 489
sGPA: 2.34
cGPA: 2.67

Multiple ECS including thousands upon thousands of paid clincal hours at multiple hospitals (3000+ hours)
letters from DOs, MD, working on DPM letter

I am enrolling in a biomed/SMP program this fall. If I get a high GPA (3.8+, obviously aiming for 4.0), will these stats give me a chance for next cycle?
What SMP are you enrolling in? Does it have ties with any professional school like MD/DO?

Members don't see this ad :)
any type of feedback would be considered helpful lol
Alright, I was going to say if you want to go into DO school then an MCAT retake would probably be required, unless the SMP guarantees you an interview/acceptances for getting good grades in the program. For Pod school I'm not too sure. Dont study for the MCAT during the SMP year though.
Which SMP are you going to btw?

As is, you are not getting into a podiatry program, but you knew that.

A high GPA in an SMP will indeed help. Anything above a 3.3 and you should be good to go for pod schools assuming a decent MCAT.

Which brings us to the MCAT. Simply put, it is rather low, although I have seen people get into low tiered pod schools with that MCAT. Even if you get a 4.0 in the SMP, you are not getting into an MD or DO program unless you have the linage agreement like at LECOM. If you get a 3.5+ in the SMP, I could see low tier pod schools taking a chance on you.

Is the program you are enrolling a Biomed Master or a SMP program? They are quite different.
SMP is where you take classes in the med school with medical student and graded against the med school curve. These programs are usually very difficult but have linkage.
Most SMP require minimum GPA 3.0~3.2 with MCAT 23~28. Ex: Georgetown, Tuft, Boston..etc
My friend's brother did a MAMS at Boston where he took classes with Med students. He graduated from BU School of Medicine last year.

There are a lot biomed master out there. They usually the money maker for school. You will need to find out your program outcome and if there is an official agreement linkage requirement you can apply for. A program "ties" with a DO school is not promising enough for throw all the money into it and being in huge debt later. What if you struggle in the program and don't get the GPA you want? Are you reedy for graduate level courses?

If you really want to go to a Pod school, you should reach out the school dean or director. Ask them what can you do in order to get in their program. Do they recommend any Master/Post Bacc/biomed program that the admission tend to accept the students graduate from there?

Western U MSMS has linkage for their DO program and I believe they do the same for their Pod program. I think their MCAT requirement is 499, you will have to ask them.

the program is for a masters in biomedical sciences, but a high gpa and 500 mcat will get a guaranteed interview. i know, not a very strong "tie" but its all i was able to get with my current stats which are quite paltry
i'm planning on retaking my MCAT next summer but i am considering POD school, so i want to know if i could send in my application without having to retake it.

IF you get a 3.6+ GPA in your SMP, pod schools may look past the 489.

Even then it will be hard to make a case.

Score just 3 pts higher and you're looking at invites from all 9 schools with a 3.3+ GPA.

I highly highly recommend you retake your MCAT. Even with a high SMP GPA, a couple more points on the MCAT could net you thousands in scholarships.

thanks. im going to retake my mcat next summer. if i might have a chance at pod schools with my current mcat, should i submit my apps now and then update schools with my masters grades as the school year goes along? bad idea?
Pod App opens first week of august

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks. im going to retake my mcat next summer. if i might have a chance at pod schools with my current mcat, should i submit my apps now and then update schools with my masters grades as the school year goes along? bad idea?

Apply upcoming August soon as it opens. Current cycle closes end of this month.
I personally would not juggle the prospect of interview invites WHILE you are in an SMP.
Focus on one and get good at it. Your grades are your ticket in.

Do not rush a cycle and add unnecessary stress during your SMP simply because you are impatient.
The overall point I am trying to emphasize is this: Your grades matter more than getting an app in early.

Getting a 490+ isn't hard.

You best course of action is to retake the MCAT before the SMP. During the SMP, you won't have a chance to breath.

the program is for a masters in biomedical sciences, but a high gpa and 500 mcat will get a guaranteed interview. i know, not a very strong "tie" but its all i was able to get with my current stats which are quite paltry
i'm planning on retaking my MCAT next summer but i am considering POD school, so i want to know if i could send in my application without having to retake it.

There are many low status applicant who successful got in to their dream school, but it requires a strong dedication, good strategy and be realistic.

It seems your goal is get into DO or POD School. Its good to know the perk of your biomed master program could get you an interview if you get MCAT 500. Don't just rush to it because they offer you seat in the program. School is a business too. Not to mention there are people fail out from those program. You will have to think how to play your card right to help you achieve your goal.

Here is my strategy and plan if I was in your position. Contact your Biomed program and defer admission to next year and use this year as your transition year to learn a good study habit, time management, and build a foundation.

First half year: take classes like anatomy, physiology, microbiology or other UD science classes and CC/University, and get a 4.0.
- This will be good indicator to see if you can truly do well in graduate level course. ( if you can barely get 3.0, how can you get 3.8+ in biomed?)
- It also fulfill the pre-req for other plan B such as, PA, PT, OT, nursing..etc.
- Slightly boost your undergrad sGPA. sGPA: 2.38 is just way too low for any professional school.

2nd half year: Enroll a good MCAT prep class. Spend a good amount 5+ months to prepare it.
- if you take MCAT after biomed, then you will have to apply the next year cycle for DO which would be 2 years gap.
- if you do get above 500, you may be linked to your DO program as you mentioned.
- Studying MCAT during Post bacc/SMP/Master is just too much.

NEVER apply to any school when you are not ready. You gonna have to sell yourself hard to admission committee, so only show your final best product.

After this reform and transition year + MCAT + Biomed Master, you should have a better chance to achieve your goal. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
As is, you are not getting into a podiatry program, but you knew that.

A high GPA in an SMP will indeed help. Anything above a 3.3 and you should be good to go for pod schools assuming a decent MCAT.

Which brings us to the MCAT. Simply put, it is rather low, although I have seen people get into low tiered pod schools with that MCAT. Even if you get a 4.0 in the SMP, you are not getting into an MD or DO program unless you have the linage agreement like at LECOM. If you get a 3.5+ in the SMP, I could see low tier pod schools taking a chance on you.
what are the low tier pod schools if you dont mind me asking? thanks again for your feedback

i keep getting mixed results when i search for 'tiers'. would you mind sharing what, in your opinion, the low tier schools are??
Im not exactly sure what the tiers are, just know that they exist. Current students can probably say, though. I know Midwestern and DMU are harder to get into than Barry and NYCPM. Again, Im not talking about their curriculum and training, but rather the easiness of getting accepted into the school.

Im not exactly sure what the tiers are, just know that they exist. Current students can probably say, though. I know Midwestern and DMU are harder to get into than Barry and NYCPM. Again, Im not talking about their curriculum and training, but rather the easiness of getting accepted into the school.
Does the school you go to matter in terms of residency placement?

i keep getting mixed results when i search for 'tiers'. would you mind sharing what, in your opinion, the low tier schools are??

There are no official rankings when it comes to Pod Schools, so there are technically no tiers. If someone does refer to tiers they are probably just referring to the statistics for average/range of GPA/MCAT for accepted students. If you are interested in that you can see it here:

http://www.aacpm.org/wp-content/uploads/2017-2018-CIB_DIGITAL-FINAL.pdf

Also, unlike traditional medical schools, you can find top level podiatry students at every school (hence no rankings). With MD/DO you would rarely see a high GPA/high MCAT student go to a new DO school, but with podiatry you will see top podiatry candidates at every school. Hope that helps!

Last edited:
I would use the above-mentioned PDF in its entirety when applying for Pod schools. All the info in it is best at gauging what stats you need for that particular school.

And yes, which school you choose matters when applying for residency. The majority of residency spots will be available in the state where the school is located and states around/close to it.

For example, someone from NY attending BarryU in FL should expect to match around FL and not NY. They can match in NY but chances are very little.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Imma get flack for this, but here is my politically inccorect assessment:

Top Tier:
AZPOD- small class size, strong program, classes with DO students, amazing board and residency placement in the 90%s, in and out burger.
DMU- DO classes, strong clinical, great board pass rate and residency placement

Middle Tier: based on class size, easier to get in
the one in Chicago - old school, lots of alumi, but lower pass rate on step
Temple- same as shool
Cali school with DO program (name escapes me- no clue.

Bottom shelf:
Kent- too many students, low pass rate, great staff and faculty.
Barry- LOW pass rate. In the 70%s.
Cali school without DO program- no clue
New York- I've heard horrible things.

Imma get flack for this, but here is my politically inccorect assessment:

Top Tier:
AZPOD- small class size, strong program, classes with DO students, amazing board and residency placement in the 90%s, in and out burger.
DMU- DO classes, strong clinical, great board pass rate and residency placement

Middle Tier: based on class size, easier to get in
the one in Chicago - old school, lots of alumi, but lower pass rate on step
Temple- same as shool
Cali school with DO program (name escapes me- no clue.

Bottom shelf:
Kent- too many students, low pass rate, great staff and faculty.
Barry- LOW pass rate. In the 70%s.
Cali school without DO program- no clue
New York- I've heard horrible things.
I've seen great students from every school. Pre-pods should go to the school where they feel they will get the best experience. That is different for everyone. I've heard bad things and good things about every school.

1. Bigger schools are easier to get into, especially with a decrease in applicants. With that said, the an average MD/DO applicant who has a great interview can get into any pod school.

2. This notion that school dictates where you go to residency is false IMO. Even though I went to one of those bigger, lower tier schools, my class saw 100/102 pass part 2 and then 97/100 get a residency, with those 97 dispersed across the country (NY, FL, OR, CA, TX, IL, WI, OH, PA, MI, GA, and more that I can't remember off the top of my head). No matter where you go to school, study hard, get good grades, pass your boards, and be a hardworking/normal individual during externships (I feel like a broken record on this topic). Do all that and you'll have your choice of programs, no matter where you go to school.

To the OP, bring up your GPA through your SMP, and you'll have a fighting chance to land a spot at one of the 9 schools. From there, it's totally up you.

Last edited:
1. Bigger schools are easier to get into, especially with a decrease in applicants. With that said, the an average MD/DO applicant who has a great interview can get into any pod school.

2. This notion that school dictates where you go to residency is false IMO. Even though I went to one of those bigger, lower tier schools, my class saw 100/102 pass part 2 and then 97/100 get a residency, with those 97 dispersed across the country (NY, FL, OR, CA, TX, IL, WI, OH, PA, MI, GA, and more that I can't remember off the top of my head). No matter where you go to school, study hard, get good grades, pass your boards, and be a hardworking/normal individual during externships (I feel like a broken record on this topic). Do all that and you'll have your choice of programs, no matter where you go to school.

To the OP, bring up your GPA through your SMP, and you'll have a fighting chance to land a spot at one of the 9 schools. From there, it's totally up you.
thank you! do you think i would have a chance if i applied in august, sent in my updated grades throughout the year, t matriculate next fall?

i just wanted to say THANK YOU SO MUCH to everyone that contributed to this thread. it was very informative for me. most importantly, everyone that has responded has been very polite

Tough to say, as some schools might auto reject you with your GPA as is, and with no final grades from your SMP. My recommendation would be to apply once you have at least one semester under your belt, and stress in you either or personal statement or by calling admissions that you still have 2 more semesters of grades coming in. Podiatry admissions run through June, and thats no joke, they'll interview all the way up to 4th of July. So applying a little later for Pod schools isn't as much of a hinderance like it is for the MD/DO route.

What SMP are you doing? I completed one before I started Pod school as well.

What did those other 3 people end up doing that didn't get a residency? Were u surprised that they did not get a residency?

From what I've been told, 2/3 accepted preceptorships/research positions to help fill the year. I'm not sure what the last individual will be doing this year.

Tough to say, as some schools might auto reject you with your GPA as is, and with no final grades from your SMP. My recommendation would be to apply once you have at least one semester under your belt, and stress in you either or personal statement or by calling admissions that you still have 2 more semesters of grades coming in. Podiatry admissions run through June, and thats no joke, they'll interview all the way up to 4th of July. So applying a little later for Pod schools isn't as much of a hinderance like it is for the MD/DO route.

What SMP are you doing? I completed one before I started Pod school as well.
an SMP affiliated with a DO school on the east coast :)

you think its possible for me to garner an acceptance without finishing the SMP? (it takes 3 semesters, so i would have to finish it in the Fall semester.

thanks again for your reply!

an SMP affiliated with a DO school on the east coast :)

you think its possible for me to garner an acceptance without finishing the SMP? (it takes 3 semesters, so i would have to finish it in the Fall semester.

thanks again for your reply!

What is your reason for skipping the completion of an SMP after passing a majority of it good enough to get acceptances?

Why would you leave a graduate degree unfinished just to start podiatry school early?

It seems extremely short-sighted.

What is your reason for skipping the completion of an SMP after passing a majority of it good enough to get acceptances?

Why would you leave a graduate degree unfinished just to start podiatry school early?

It seems extremely short-sighted.
Probably cause a completed SMP wont mean anything in the future

Yeah, by themselves SMPs are literally worthless.

Makes you think twice about plopping down 40k for just a chance at Med school vs going the pod route.

Yeah, by themselves SMPs are literally worthless.

Makes you think twice about plopping down 40k for just a chance at Med school vs going the pod route.

I left out the worthlessness of it for a reason.

Its already worthless and you are already paying for it. Why not complete it and use it as leverage? Opportunity cost of 1 more year of work versus a graduate degree you've already sunk 75% of costs into?

Great minds think alike.

That's why they accepted us into the #podlife.

Its already worthless and you are already paying for it. Why not complete it and use it as leverage? Opportunity cost of 1 more year of work versus a graduate degree you've already sunk 75% of costs into?

It could still be leverage if I don't complete it. For example, a year of the program with high marks might be able to convince adcoms that I'm capable of handling a rigorous workload. I don't think the degree is "worthless" in that sense. If I could get in a year earlier why would I spend more money and time into it if it already served its purpose for me?

Idk if it helps, but I already completed post bac credits at my local cc with my last 40 credit hours being a 3.4 and these were all science classes. Yes, my grades were that bad in undergrad that my gpa still remains low. I'm hoping this upward trend means something

For some applicants such as myself, an SMP is the only way to enter ANY medical profession. I definitely don't think this degree that I'm pursuing is worthless
It is worthless by itself, not in general. If its the bridge to a medical profession then its very valuable. And I would definitely check with adcoms before leaving early. Its true that some programs may accept you only if you complete it.

It is worthless by itself, not in general. If its the bridge to a medical profession then its very valuable. And I would definitely check with adcoms before leaving early. Its true that some programs may accept you only if you complete it.
Thank so much for that clarification.

I have called both admissions departments at Barry and Kent State. They both told me, if accepted, I would not have to finish the masters degree (for all of those wondering)

It could still be leverage if I don't complete it. For example, a year of the program with high marks might be able to convince adcoms that I'm capable of handling a rigorous workload. I don't think the degree is "worthless" in that sense. If I could get in a year earlier why would I spend more money and time into it if it already served its purpose for me?

Idk if it helps, but I already completed post bac credits at my local cc with my last 40 credit hours being a 3.4 and these were all science classes. Yes, my grades were that bad in undergrad that my gpa still remains low. I'm hoping this upward trend means something
You did not mention this anywhere when asking for advice. Had I known this all you would have had to do was an MCAT retake and that alone would net you some invites.

If your intention is a second shot at DO/MD programs, then don't half-ass your SMP just to jump into a DPM program as a backup in case you are not competitive enough.

EDIT: If I sound like an ashat, it is because I am genuinely confused why you would refuse to complete a graduate degree (worthless or not) that you have already paid a significant amount for. Its like buying a car and returning it to the dealer after paying 30k.

You did not mention this anywhere when asking for advice. Had I known this all you would have had to do was an MCAT retake and that alone would net you some invites.

If your intention is a second shot at DO/MD programs, then don't half-ass your SMP just to jump into a DPM program as a backup in case you are not competitive enough.

EDIT: If I sound like an ashat, it is because I am genuinely confused why you would refuse to complete a graduate degree (worthless or not) that you have already paid a significant amount for. Its like buying a car and returning it to the dealer after paying 30k.
Agreed. OP wants to rent the nice car for his 20 year HS reunion to show his classmates, and then return the rental right after getting approval from the classmates.

I was recommended by several schools to enroll in a masters program due to my low grades even with the cc classes. I guess they want to see more.

I never intended to half ass anything especially this SMP. If I get into a DPM program, it would because of the SMP, even though I didn't finish. If I choose to go podiatry, there would be literally no reason for me to finish it considering I would already be admitted into a program. I hope that explained my stance to you clearly, and if not, I don't know how else to explain lol. In either case, thanks for your input (sorry if I sound too whiny or unappreciative of your feedback)

I was recommended by several schools to enroll in a masters program due to my low grades even with the cc classes. I guess they want to see more.

I never intended to half ass anything especially this SMP. If I get into a DPM program, it would because of the SMP, even though I didn't finish. If I choose to go podiatry, there would be literally no reason for me to finish it considering I would already be admitted into a program. I hope that explained my stance to you clearly, and if not, I don't know how else to explain lol. In either case, thanks for your input (sorry if I sound too whiny or unappreciative of your feedback)

You're fine, don't worry. Would rather you speak your mind.

If it was university level Post Bac I think you would've seen invites by now.
They may not take CC credits seriously, even if they were all sciences.

Best of luck and keep us updated on what you decide to do.

I agree with OP,

If OP gets into pod school in December, I would have stopped taking classes and just like chilled for 6 months. Haven't played a lot of PS4 games recently, might even give that new Zelda a try before school started.