is my mcat score too low?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

is this mcat too low?

• yes, it is too low

• no, it's not too low

• in between

Results are only viewable after voting.

SideShade

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got 127/123/127/124..
overall 501 /56% percentile

I did very bad on the CAR and psych section.
I was wondering if this is too low for podiatry school or not

I have around 3.8 cGPA/ 3.95 sGPA (biology with chem minor)
I have done volunteering, both clinical and non-clinical (i think combined is like +200 hours)
I have done some shadowing (MD though, couldn't find DPM, around 30hours)
I have done research (genetics lab, around 1500 hours, and I'm a second author of a paper)

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone would give me some feedback, whether or not this mcat might be good enough or not

thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If you do some DPM shadowing then you'll be able to get in anywhere

Reactions: 1 user
@SideShade

You're being neurotic man.

With those stats you've got shots at DO. With a 506+ you've got MD ii.

Any particular reason you'd rather go DPM instead?

Just trying to be up front with you bud.

@SideShade

Foot fetish probably.

Reactions: 1 users
You need to consider post-bacc to raise your gpa.

Reactions: 3 users
If you do some DPM shadowing then you'll be able to get in anywhere
@SideShade

Well I wanted to work with diabetics even before deciding whether or not I wanted to be a nurse, physical therapist, MD, DO, DPM and etc.

MD went out the window after MCAT,
DO seems iffy because I did poorly on 2 of the sections,
I can't get into physical therapy program unless I go back to University and take couple more classes (I've graduated with BA already), same with nursing.

DPM, to me at least, seems like the only reasonable choice to achieve my goal of working with diabetics.
I can't say with 100% confidence until I've actually shadowed couple of DPMs, but I think I would enjoy working as one.

Well I wanted to work with diabetics even before deciding whether or not I wanted to be a nurse, physical therapist, MD, DO, DPM and etc.

MD went out the window after MCAT,
DO seems iffy because I did poorly on 2 of the sections,
I can't get into physical therapy program unless I go back to University and take couple more classes (I've graduated with BA already), same with nursing.

DPM, to me at least, seems like the only reasonable choice to achieve my goal of working with diabetics.
I can't say with 100% confidence until I've actually shadowed couple of DPMs, but I think I would enjoy working as one.

Do some research before giving up on the DO route. Your stats are fine for a DO program, especially the newer schools. You can also retake the exam and if you pull to 125s then might get ii from md schools.

But, if after shadowing you want to purse DPM then by all means, apply on day 1.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Your stats are fine. You can apply to bigger programs right now and hope for a spot if you do not want to wait a cycle.

I got 127/123/127/124..

I have done volunteering, both clinical and non-clinical (i think combined is like +200 hours)
I have done research (genetics lab, around 1500 hours, and I'm a second author of a paper)

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone would give me some feedback, whether or not this mcat might be good enough or not

thank you
If this was your first time taking the MCAT, i would recommend taking it again. Psych is easy points, you can easily improve your score just by studying definitions for psych. I don't think you have enough shadowing hours.

Your GPA's are really good so I highly recommend retaking even if it means taking a gap year before you make any decision. You would get into DPM with those stats, even DO, but I think you have a chance at raising your psych.

If this was your first time taking the MCAT, i would recommend taking it again. Psych is easy points, you can easily improve your score just by studying definitions for psych. I don't think you have enough shadowing hours.

Your GPA's are really good so I highly recommend retaking even if it means taking a gap year before you make any decision. You would get into DPM with those stats, even DO, but I think you have a chance at raising your psych.
it is my first MCAT
I'm going to see if I can apply right now (since the deadline is june or something)
if I don't get in, I could try to retake MCAT

it is my first MCAT
I'm going to see if I can apply right now (since the deadline is june or something)
Honestly you'll probably get in right now if you applied, but I wouldn't do that. I would retake the MCAT at least once more. You could easily increase your score a few points and be good for MD or DO. Don't go the DPM route unless you're 100% certain you want to do it the rest of your life. Taking 1 year off won't matter in the long run if it helps you figure out exactly what you want to do. The worst thing you could do is go DPM and hate your life because you used it as an emergency backup

Just apply now. The application and interview process will help in your decision of which career to persue. You'll have the opportunity to talk with faculty and other students.

I think you would regret not applying this cycle.

Just apply now. The application and interview process will help in your decision of which career to persue. You'll have the opportunity to talk with faculty and other students.

I think you would regret not applying this cycle.

Isn't it's better though for OP to first decide which field he/she wants to get into, rather than spending money applying? I'm sure they will be accepted somewhere this cycle but, if OP is not in a rush, shouldn't they apply next cycle for better scholarship opportunities?

Last edited:
Isn't it's better though for OP to first decide which field he/she wants to get into, rather than spending money applying? I'm sure they will be accepted somewhere this cycle but, if OP is not in a rush, shouldn't they apply next cycle for better scholarship opportunities?

OP academically has spades up his sleeve.

What SLC said makes sense if you think about it. Sometimes the best way to figure out if a career is for you is to jump straight in.

There is no right or wrong when it comes to picking a life-long career. I personally got this far by trusting my gut without knowing the end result. I didn't decide to go DPM until the summer right before I applied.

If money is not an issue, jumping into the application cycle now would instantly give OP a look into DPM field that's much more in-depth than what he'd get shadowing in some aspects.

Since the OP is considering podiatry it makes sense to go through the application process. There are still scholarships available and plenty of spots. There is also plenty of time to determine if podiatry will be the right fit. The investment of making the correct decision will outweigh the cost of waiting another year and taking the MCAT again. I have met a few students that were considering MD,DO, and DPM. As they completed their applications and interviewed some of them chose DPM and others didn't. In the end they were grateful they took my advice and applied.

Sideshade, how dare you consider to practice podiatry with that low of an undergraduate GPA. You think this field is for chumps??

everyone thank you for your replies

Whether or not I become a nurse, physical therapist, DPM, DO, MD, Pharm, PA, PTA and etc, I believe that I will not hate it as long as it is in the health fields.
I'm not picky as long as I can work with patients and it pays enough for me to live without worrying about food/housing... and pay off my student loans
If I can find a DPM to shadow before mid may, I will apply before the deadline.

Reactions: 2 users
everyone thank you for your replies

Whether or not I become a nurse, physical therapist, DPM, DO, MD, Pharm, PA, PTA and etc, I believe that I will not hate it as long as it is in the health fields.
I'm not picky as long as I can work with patients and it pays enough for me to live without worrying about food/housing... and pay off my student loans
If I can find a DPM to shadow before mid may, I will apply before the deadline.
Just go on yelp and call every podiatrist..

it is my first MCAT
I am very pro podiatry, but I don't want you to start something that you're not confident in, especially if it's your first time taking the MCAT. Make sure you're positive of what you want. Also, a lot of schools such as Arizona, may not be offering any interview dates after May 5th. Which is why I may not be able to interview there. Be confident in what you want, do your research.

I chose DPM because I knew I wouldn't be happy with DO. I had taken my MCAT twice, and had a long list of reasons for why I picked going into DPM confidently over trying for MD. Know your options!!

My stats are lower than yours, good overall package, applied late, got in everywhere. PM me if you need help putting your application in. Good luck

My stats are lower than yours, good overall package, applied late, got in everywhere. PM me if you need help putting your application in. Good luck
thank you!

I'm guessing you wouldn't know this since you got accepted right away, but do you know if the application setting stays for next cycle as well?
I wouldn't want to re-type all the transcripts/experiences and etc for the next cycle (if i don't get in this cycle)

thank you!

I'm guessing you wouldn't know this since you got accepted right away, but do you know if the application setting stays for next cycle as well?
I wouldn't want to re-type all the transcripts/experiences and etc for the next cycle (if i don't get in this cycle)
I haven't been accepted yet! I have interviews this week, but I'm pretty sure it saves online. The application opens in August for the next cycle.

You can copy and paste everything into a Word Document so that you're only inputting your grades next time!

I got 127/123/127/124..

thank you
My stats are pretty similar to yours, and I also scored the same on CAR. I got accepted to Temple and NYCPM, which were the only 2 schools I applied for.