hi

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted1037202

hi

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Take the money and run. You can become any kind of physician from any MD program.

I understand the concern about debt but what about the prestige of Baylor as well as the fact that it's in the biggest medical center in the world? Also, with the change of step 1 to pass fail, won't the prestige of Baylor be very helpful as I apply for top residencies??

Some number will exist at that point to allow you to enter any specialty from any school (Step 2 CK I think). Take. The. Money. Trust me. Unless you'd be unhappy at Wayne, take the money. If you like Baylor so much, you can even go back for residency,

Members don't see this ad :)
So I've grown up in a very "prestige centered" household. I've worked super hard over the past 4 years of high school, staying up until at least 3 am every day working-- no social life at all. I'm terrified that if I go to Wayne State, I won't be able to show face and all my hard work will be wasted (I won't be proud to go to Wayne). For once, I want to be able to "prove others wrong" and go to a top med school. I just want to feel like my hard work wasn't wasted and it would feel amazing to be learning in Houston.

But at the same time, I'm someone who isn't that strong in the sciences and scared I will struggle to meet bs/md requirements at Rice. Also, I understand the huge debt included.

Please help.... thank u
Sounds like you have some personal problems to work out that sdn can't help you with. If going into 300k worth of debt is worth being proud of yourself/being able to show face around your family, that's a decision you have to make. Wayne State BS/MD full-ride is objectively the best decision.

Reactions: 5 users
So I've grown up in a very "prestige centered" household. I've worked super hard over the past 4 years of high school, staying up until at least 3 am every day working-- no social life at all. I'm terrified that if I go to Wayne State, I won't be able to show face and all my hard work will be wasted (I won't be proud to go to Wayne). For once, I want to be able to "prove others wrong" and go to a top med school. I just want to feel like my hard work wasn't wasted and it would feel amazing to be learning in Houston.

But at the same time, I'm someone who isn't that strong in the sciences and scared I will struggle to meet bs/md requirements at Rice. Also, I understand the huge debt included.

Please help.... thank u

Really? Nobody can help you but yourself. You got good advice but only you can decide. Why did you decide to apply to Wayne State in the first place? It was prestigious enough to apply to, what has happened in the mean time? Are you from Houston? Is your family close by? Do you make friends easily? Are you able to function outside of your comfort zone? What if you decide medicine isn’t what you want? How will you and your prestige driven family react? Maybe you need to find a counselor to talk these things out. A senior is high school should be experiencing life and enjoying things. Take care of yourself.

Reactions: 4 users
Given that this a is brand new OP, and he seems kind of argumentative as opposed to genuinely seeking advice, I'm voting for a troll. The Rice/Baylor program is HIGHLY competitive (6 per year) and they don't announce decisions until the end of March, so there is no way OP has this as an option yet. Wayne State is also HIGHLY competitive (10 per year), but I really don't know what their admission notification timeline looks like. In any event, it is highly unlikley OP has these as options (definitely not Rice/Baylor). Just trying to stir up a money vs. ranking debate. Troll.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Why medicine?

Reactions: 1 user
What about the fact that at Baylor I will likely have an easier chance of matching into a competitive specialty??? I'm quite sure I want to go into dermatology, so I'm afraid I won't have a good chance at Wayne
Matching at Baylor would probably be easier than Wayne for derm. But who knows, your interests may change. But if you are set on dermatology you could start from Day 1 of medical school and build a great application regardless of where you go.

A full ride plus NOT living in Texas for the next 7-8 years? Seems like a no brainer.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.