'Here's Why Nurse Anesthetists Earn Over $150,000 A Year'

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
:thumbup:

My dad is a grey-haired anesthesiologist who got into anesthesia when it was "dead" back in the 1970s. He caught a nice boom in the 80s and 90s, and now makes a good living all told.

The advice he gave me about picking a specialty was, "Don't pay attention to the prognostications about anything. No one has any idea what they're talking about, and the most reliable trend is that things are cyclical. Make yourself an asset, and things will sort themselves out in the end."

I said something similar in another thread. It seems like all services cyclically change and people going into the ones in a peak now are doing the same thing as buying high on a stock.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I said something similar in another thread. It seems like all services cyclically change and people going into the ones in a peak now are doing the same thing as buying high on a stock.
Good analogy.

Scrubs+-+Heartsoul+100+Cotton+Flower+Me+With+Love+True+Love+Scrub+Top_L.jpg

I wish nurses looked like that.. Most of them look like Jaba the hut.
I rest my case... https://www.yahoo.com/travel/most-and-least-unattractive-people-103569878382.html

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

at the same time, I would be wary of investing in a stock that is tanking for obvious reasons.

at the same time, I would be wary of investing in a stock that is tanking for obvious reasons.
I wouldn't because I don't invest in single stocks. I wouldn't be wary about investing in an index that was tanking unless there were honest concerns about its total collapse. If those concerns don't exist, then you're just buying deferred value

I wouldn't because I don't invest in single stocks. I wouldn't be wary about investing in an index that was tanking unless there were honest concerns about its total collapse. If those concerns don't exist, then you're just buying deferred value

I think medical specialties are a little different than stocks guys. Reimbusements are not determined by supply and demand. They are determined by medicare.

I think medical specialties are a little different than stocks guys. Reimbusements are not determined by supply and demand. They are determined by medicare.

yes agreed but there are a few similarities

I was using stocks as a metaphor (as you were). I wouldn't 'invest in' (i.e., train in or recommend training in) many specialties that are on the decline. Ophthalmology (very saturated with optometrist overlap) and anesthesiology (mid-level encroachment, saturation, having to manage CRNA's rather than take own cases) come to mind.

They are determined by medicare but over-usage of a certain procedure will inevitably see cuts in said procedure.

I was using stocks as a metaphor (as you were). I wouldn't 'invest in' (i.e., train in or recommend training in) many specialties that are on the decline. Ophthalmology (very saturated with optometrist overlap) and anesthesiology (mid-level encroachment, saturation, having to manage CRNA's rather than take own cases) come to mind.
I'm guessing that you don't realize that it is this supervision model that allows for the very high, 600+, incomes possible for partners in busy practices.
Supervising 4:1 is sweatshop labor, but the rewards from multiplying your billing from x to 4x are dramatic.

I'm guessing that you don't realize that it is this supervision model that allows for the very high, 600+, incomes possible for partners in busy practices.
Supervising 4:1 is sweatshop labor, but the rewards from multiplying your billing from x to 4x are dramatic.
It's only good for partners it seems.

It's only good for partners it seems.
True. If you're not an owner, you have to make sure you are getting a fair share of the pie. There are good employed jobs available, etc. That's what separates good jobs from the bad jobs. Work hard, be better, and leverage that for a good job. Too many people, including several on the anesthesia forum, geographically restrict themselves to bad job markets and/or are too lazy do the grunt work to locate better jobs and relocate.

sure, that's the general scheme for owners to increase their income. but as the next generation of docs become more indebted, the general direction doesn't seem to be towards producing more practice owners, but rather either hospital employees or juniors who join these practices (with less and less guarantees towards becoming partners/owners).

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder if there is some connection between:
"Medicine is not a calling, it's just a job"
and
"More and more young doctors are choosing to become employees."

:diebanana:

Screw being an employed doc.

"It's just a job dude, pick your specialty based on lifestyle dude, let someone else deal with the hassle, dude."

"You're what's wrong with medicine, you let the barbarians in the gate, you ruined it for everyone, dude!"

"It's just a job dude, pick your specialty based on lifestyle dude, let someone else deal with the hassle, dude."

"You're what's wrong with medicine, you let the barbarians in the gate, you ruined it for everyone, dude!"
You do realize that the trend towards employment is due to much more complicated issues than the attitude of physicians, right?

You do realize that the trend towards employment is due to much more complicated issues than the attitude of physicians, right?

Yes, genius. What would I do without condescending arrogant responses like these, besides respond in kind.

Linking 2 things is doable, linking 10s or 100s is not appropriate for an internet forum.

Yes, genius. What would I do without condescending arrogant responses like these, besides respond in kind.

Linking 2 things is doable, liking 10s or 100s is not appropriate for an internet forum.
Why you butthurt?

Man, I hope you're not thinking about gas. If you are please let me know where you're going so that I can avoid it. I would hate to have colleagues with your attitude.

I would enjoy hearing more about my attitude from you. And also your residency prospects.

hahaha, three years of working as a BSN counts in his nine years of training?
If you understood how Nurse Anesthesia School works, you would know that normally a minimum of 1 year ICU level experience is required. I have no issue with him claiming the three years as part of his training, it was required, and it is not easy. Almost every hospital I have worked at requires a specific Critical Care course before practicing in the ICU. And while I do think ICU nurse overrate their importance, to say the 3 years aren't training isn't really true. A nurse who has 3 years of ICU experience will know much much more than a new grad and it won't just be 'head knowledge.'

Anesthesiologists >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> nurse anesthetists
In some ways yes. In others no. The training does not compare for the two. However, almost all Nurse Anesthetist practice under an Anesthesiologist. If you ever become an Anesthesiologist, you will be very glad to have CRNA's. The only place they "steal" from each other is here on student doctor.
Yes, I know. I have done mostly those things you mentioned as an ICU RN for many years. Doesn't mean I should be running the show, especially for peds or high-risk patients. I am an open heart recovery nurse for peds and adults. I have managed but with the information given to the surgeon or ologist on the phone or in person. I know my limits. That's why I stopped working in an adult open heart recovery unit that refused to have a CT fellow or surgery resident covering the unit. You could call the surgeons directly at home. If that attending surgeon was committed to what he was doing and wasn't being a j.o., then many times, it was fine. But OMG in that unit some of the attending CT surgeons were, let's say, less than stellar as compared w/ those I had mostly worked with in other units. I can't get specific, but I could tell you it would make the hair stand up on the back of your neck. And when the place just wouldn't staff CT fellows to cover the unit, when there were really seriously problematic patients at night, well, I sweated more bullets and was so overwhelmed, b/c 1. I still need orders for pretty much anything. And 2. when the chest tube is dumping out tons of blood and the pt's beginning to crash, and there is no one to come and help me and give me the necessary orders and guidance, well, it's ethically wrong to me, and it was a liability nightmare. I mean with doc, who I think is a lawyer now, I had to get strong and say, "I can't take the pt back into the OR, open us his chest, look for bleeders, etc. I am not a surgeon. Hell, I am not a physician. I haven't been to med school or through a rigorous residency and fellowship program." Won't say anymore about situation or situations similar to that in that particular unit. Suffice it to say, I happily left there. It just wasn't safe.

There are limits in the scope of what you can do, even if you have an idea of what should be done or are a good critical thinker. There's a point when this overstepping is going to get so out of control; but hey. Everyone wants caps on liability. The hospitals should have to eat large settlements if they refuse to staff with the appropriate amount of quality physicians, instead of putting less educated and less trained personnel to handle situations they should not be handling alone.

I have been in the field long enough to tell you that s^!t happens, and it happens a lot more than people think--especially with more and more complex patients. When it does hit the fan, peeing in your pants is the least of the upset. And if I were a CRNA, I wouldn't work anywhere without good anesthesiologist there, on site. I say this having worked years in ICUs. Too much crap can go wrong too quickly.

What is the point of scope of practice for God's sake?

This is very true. CRNAs are fine for ASA 1,2 etc. but when you start getting into 3,4 plus, you don't want to be on your own. As someone who has heavily considered becoming a CRNA and works with them every day in surgical services, I wouldn't be comfortable working without a Anesthesiologist.

If you were an ICU for 15 years and then go to CRNA school, I guess that 15 years is part of your training... Only in the nursing world you hear BS like that.

Reactions: 5 users
If you understood how Nurse Anesthesia School works, you would know that normally a minimum of 1 year ICU level experience is required. I have no issue with him claiming the three years as part of his training, it was required, and it is not easy. Almost every hospital I have worked at requires a specific Critical Care course before practicing in the ICU. And while I do think ICU nurse overrate their importance, to say the 3 years aren't training isn't really true. A nurse who has 3 years of ICU experience will know much much more than a new grad and it won't just be 'head knowledge.'

In some ways yes. In others no. The training does not compare for the two. However, almost all Nurse Anesthetist practice under an Anesthesiologist. If you ever become an Anesthesiologist, you will be very glad to have CRNA's. The only place they "steal" from each other is here on student doctor.

This is very true. CRNAs are fine for ASA 1,2 etc. but when you start getting into 3,4 plus, you don't want to be on your own. As someone who has heavily considered becoming a CRNA and works with them every day in surgical services, I wouldn't be comfortable working without a Anesthesiologist.
Uh, what? Please tell me a situation in which you would rather have a CRNA caring for you vs a doctor.

This thread is starting to like a YouTube comments section.

Reactions: 3 users
@HandsomeRob why anesthesiologists would be glad having CRNA?

Why would any anesthesiologist want to be bothered with a trivial case easily managed by a nurse?

Delegating tasks to other professionals is ubiquitous in medicine. It is inevitable from even the most basic utilitarian model.

If you were an ICU for 15 years and then go to CRNA school, I guess that 15 years is part of your training... Only in the nursing world you hear BS like that.
I mean, basically, after those 15 years they would be an unofficial intensivist, amiright?

I mean, basically, after those 15 years they would be an unofficial intensivist, amiright?

Yeah God knows I would entrust the care of my entire family to an ICU nurse who undoubtedly is superior to an MD because our insignificant 6 year residency cannot even compare to the ICU nurse's extensive 15 years of experience.

I would think yes. I would go on to say it is almost like a residency.
Make sure you tell people this when you get to your third year of medical school. It will not get you smacked down at all.

Why would any anesthesiologist want to be bothered with a trivial case easily managed by a nurse?

Delegating tasks to other professionals is ubiquitous in medicine. It is inevitable from even the most basic utilitarian model.
Until they try to strike out on their own.

Make sure you tell people this when you get to your third year of medical school. It will not get you smacked down at all.
What kind of things do residents do during their residencies?

Learn to diagnose and treat disease on their own without supervision. Learn what tests to run and when, and more importantly what to not order and when to not operate.
Nurses do not diagnose. Neither do nurse anesthetists. Nps get a crash course in it with a very limited education base which limits their differential. After years of working on the floor they may know how to "diagnose" via pattern recognition, but not the h and p, the differential dx, and the clinical medicine aspect. They may rhink they do, but they don't.

Reactions: 2 users

Oh, you know, hang around the lounge and eat cookies. I eat a lot of oatmeal cookies. Sometimes the older residents have sleepovers, but they won't let me do that yet.

When I get bored, I play a kind of scavenger hunt type game. I print out a sheet with a list of room numbers and try to find them all. I then ask the people in the rooms all sorts of questions and shine flashlights in their mouth. Then I check off boxes on that sheet. It's really fun.

Occasionally I go to a dance club on the second floor. The floors and walls are all white, with white tiles on the walls. Kind of a funny looking dance club, if you ask me. I generally stand in the corner while hard rock plays. Sometimes the DJ plays Trivial Pursuit with me.

Reactions: 7 users
Oh, you know, hang around the lounge and eat cookies. I eat a lot of oatmeal cookies. Sometimes the older residents have sleepovers, but they won't let me do that yet.

When I get bored, I play a kind of scavenger hunt type game. I print out a sheet with a list of room numbers and try to find them all. I then ask the people in the rooms all sorts of questions and shine flashlights in their mouth. Then I check off boxes on that sheet. It's really fun.

Occasionally I go to a dance club on the second floor. The floors and walls are all white, with white tiles on the walls. Kind of a funny looking dance club, if you ask me. I generally stand in the corner while hard rock plays. Sometimes the DJ plays Trivial Pursuit with me.

I simply don't believe you

The worst part about residency is when you think it's a chocolate chip cookie but it's really an oatmeal raisin cookie.

The worst part about residency is when you think it's a chocolate chip cookie but it's really an oatmeal raisin cookie.

Not for me. I like the oatmeal ones best. It's probably the number one feature of my residency program: a high ratio of oatmeal raisin to chocolate chip on the complementary cookie platter.

Reactions: 2 users