Over-ear headphones for interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bushido1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been wearing over ear headphones for my interviews as I have a nice setup from my podcasting days in college, I'm worried I shot myself in the foot. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

If I were an interviewer (and I'm not, nor am I in academia) it would seem very odd to me. Not sure it's shooting yourself in the foot, but it would just come across as odd.

Whether it hurt your or not, it's all moot, so there's no sense in worrying about it at this point.

Going forward, I would recommend not wearing any headphones for any interviews, unless you have a hearing impairment. Dress/act the exact same you would as if it were an in-person interview.

It's not unheard of, but is still very uncommon (we're talking maybe ~1-2% of applicants), though raises the question "why are you wearing headphones in the first place?"

I consider it in a similar vein as people who interview in poorly-lit rooms, on a cheap webcam that is probably 15 years old, or who dress business casual for their interviews. You're not going to get DNR'd necessarily, but I agree that I would recommend dressing and acting exactly as though you are sitting across the desk from the department chair. If your home is too noisy for a good interview, go somewhere else.

If you need to wear headphones for some reason, I would recommend wired earbuds, but the same caveat applies.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure everyone does this, but I'd just give you benefit of the doubt (I'd think you live in a place where there is external noise/roommates so you are wearing over the ear headphones to block it out and just don't have in ear noise canceling ones).

But as mrbreakfast pointed out, if that's the case, maybe try to find a place where there will be no external distractions to begin with.

I'd say a good... 30% of my interviewers were wearing over-the-ear headphones so it def wouldn't of mattered to them haha

There's nothing wrong with over the ear headphones.

Reactions: 1 user
If I were an interviewer (and I'm not, nor am I in academia) it would seem very odd to me. Not sure it's shooting yourself in the foot, but it would just come across as odd.

Whether it hurt your or not, it's all moot, so there's no sense in worrying about it at this point.

Going forward, I would recommend not wearing any headphones for any interviews, unless you have a hearing impairment. Dress/act the exact same you would as if it were an in-person interview.
How are OTH headphones odd? How boomer are you/10?

OTH headphones are still pretty popular -- Bose, Sony, Beats, etc.

I think OTH headphones are great, especially if you have noise cancellation so you don't keep asking to repeat questions. Btw, Bose QC 35 II (45, now) are the GOAT

Reactions: 1 users
How are OTH headphones odd? How boomer are you/10?

OTH headphones are still pretty popular -- Bose, Sony, Beats, etc.

I think OTH headphones are great, especially if you have noise cancellation so you don't keep asking to repeat questions. Btw, Bose QC 35 II (45, now) are the GOAT

Not a boomer. I have OTH headphones myself.

I believe it looks odd because a virtual interview should mimic an in-person one as much as possible. Any earphones would look odd to me.

If someone doesn't have the ability to do a virtual interview in a quiet/controlled environment and the headphones are needed, then sure, go for it. But otherwise I think it makes the interview look much less personal.

Others have chimed in and said they don't find it as big a deal.

Whatever gives you the best chance to hear the questions clearly and mic that will pick up the voice with no problem is what should be worn. Interviewers are not (unless they are jerks/pretenious) going to throw shade at you for your situation unless it looks unprofessional (messy background, dressed to causually). There are tons of reasons why it would be appropriate to wear headphones and if you only have over the ear headphones, you shouldn't be expected to go out and buy new headphones for an interview.

As long as everything else checks out, it's probably meaningless. But if the vast majority of interviewees aren't doing it, it stands out. It's like having a poster on the wall right behind you, but it's halfway falling off or notably crooked--doesn't matter, but no one else is doing it, so it stands out. (But I'd rather the over-ear headphones than the falling or crooked poster.)