Heme/Onc Fellowship Application Thread Part 2 - 2007-2008 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think you should kindly call back and express your interest, it definitely does not hurt... and be honest but not too specific...

Earlier today I received a phone call from one of the PDs- of a great program for me, however, one that I will probably rank #3. I'm calling back tomorrow, but what do I say?!? Is he seriously going to ask me if I am ranking them #1? Help!

kind of wouldn't mind if my #1 would give me a call or two....:scared:

Members don't see this ad.

What is the hem/onc fellowship call schedule usually like? Do fellows take in-house calls? Home calls? I am assuming call schedules are easier than fellowships like critical care or cards...

What is the hem/onc fellowship call schedule usually like? Do fellows take in-house calls? Home calls? I am assuming call schedules are easier than fellowships like critical care or cards...

Totally program dependent. I interviewed at 8 places last year, 2 of them had in-house call, the rest had home call. Frequency of call depends on how many fellows and how they split it up. Again, places I looked at ranged from Q3 home call to Q15 home call.

The program I matched into has home call and it's Q-Fellow meaning that, since we'll have 9 fellows, call is Q9. There's in-house moonlighting coverage though so most of the straightforward admits overnight don't even go through the fellow making calls a little easier.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys, first post here. Just curious--have people who interviewed at MSKCC heard anything from them? I got a phone message saying "Checking to see if you had any questions," and I'm wondering if this is standard for everyone.

Thanks,
L.

I was just wondering if anyone received any feedback from Fox Chase..I liked a program, but did not receive any feedback after interview....I am thinking that probably they do not like me...xa,xa,xa appreciate any input, thanks

I also got a phone call from MSKCC as did a friend. Guessing it really was just checking in to see if there were questions.

Got a generic, short feedback from PD, nothing exciting...

I was just wondering if anyone received any feedback from Fox Chase..I liked a program, but did not receive any feedback after interview....I am thinking that probably they do not like me...xa,xa,xa appreciate any input, thanks

Hi!,
Is it too late for thank you letters?I spoke to my home pgm FPD,do i still write thank you letters?

hello all.....dont forget to certify your rank lists....deadline is june 04, 2008.....i am assuming that if the status shows "Certified ROL" in green, then I am in the match....dont want to miss or screw things up at this stage of the game.....GL everyone...

I got feedback by phone from Fred Hutch and UCSF, by e-mail (answer to my thanks e-mails) good feedback from BIDMC, Yale and Penn.
Any help on how would you rank these programs?

Earlier today I received a phone call from one of the PDs- of a great program for me, however, one that I will probably rank #3. I'm calling back tomorrow, but what do I say?!? Is he seriously going to ask me if I am ranking them #1? Help!

kind of wouldn't mind if my #1 would give me a call or two....:scared:

it is illegal for them to ask you where you are ranking them. if you feel backed into a corner, i guess you could always the "i plan on ranking this program very highly" from residency apps.

Members don't see this ad :)
today is the last day to submitt the list...
..still thinking if I should put Cleveland clinic above University of Pittsburg or UP above CC..any inputs...

today is the last day to submitt the list...
..still thinking if I should put Cleveland clinic above University of Pittsburg or UP above CC..any inputs...

i think Pitt is better in terms of reputation and depth of faculty in the different tumors....however, CCF is growing like crazy and the facilities are phenomenal.....i didnt like Pitt because of different hospitals the fellows had to rotate through....CCF was compact......

also depends on whether you want to be cleveland...pitt is a better city overall.....GL....

Rank List Certification Deadline is today. Good luck everyone and hope we all match at our top choice......It was a pleasure to go through the process with all of you.....had the chance to meet some really nice people......great forum.....

Definitely, Inthitan... Good luck to everyone, it's been a long and tough process but sure a lot of fun!!

Rank List Certification Deadline is today. Good luck everyone and hope we all match at our top choice......It was a pleasure to go through the process with all of you.....had the chance to meet some really nice people......great forum.....

Good Luck everyone!
Let's meet again in two weeks with final results...

Rank list went through.....paranoia resolved.....i have checked the ROL couple of times to see if it is certified.....so much OCD.....GL guys....

i did NOT get a call from msk :( since they have 3 PDs, for those who received a call from msk, who was it from? just wondering maybe i didnt interview w/ that pd, and therefore didnt get a ph call....

appreciate your input.

Man the computer shpould be able to do the match in a minute why do we have to wait this long :sleep:

Man the computer shpould be able to do the match in a minute why do we have to wait this long :sleep:
This is exactly what I was thinking. ON the other hand here is a few tips to kill the time until MATCH day:
you can take a busy ICU rotation or a crazy ER shift or
you could go on a fantasy cruise through the Bahamas or if you don't have the dough, you can put some long hours in yard work. If you don't have a yard, you can use mine.
being a smart ass,

Maybe we can ask our top choices how they ranked us... since it's too late to change anything they can probably drop a hint or two!!

This is exactly what I was thinking. ON the other hand here is a few tips to kill the time until MATCH day:
you can take a busy ICU rotation or a crazy ER shift or
you could go on a fantasy cruise through the Bahamas or if you don't have the dough, you can put some long hours in yard work. If you don't have a yard, you can use mine.
being a smart ass,

Does anyone know what time on June 18th the results will be released to applicants?

Do programs/or residency programs find out earlier?

Per NRMP website, the results are available at noon.
Does anyone know what time on June 18th the results will be released to applicants?

Do programs/or residency programs find out earlier?

Hi, Does anyone know how to apply for post match scramble (getting prepared for the worst!). I am under the impression that one can apply to the unfilled position through ERAS. But I imagine ERAS is now closed until July. Also wondering how to send LOR from ERAS to the unfilled positions.
Can anyone share literature about post match scramble?

Regards.

As a MD/PhD candidate you should have nothing absolutely to worry about... scramble is crazy... by 12:01 you have a list made available to people who did not match on nrmp... they give you an email and number, but imagine also hundreds of other people trying to call at the same time... ultimately since a lot of the programs that didnt fill are pretty good ones(liekly because they didnt rank enough people), a lot are filled by in house people... also a lot of great candidates who didnt match because they did not rank enough places are competing for those positions.... its a tough process...

Hi, Does anyone know how to apply for post match scramble (getting prepared for the worst!). I am under the impression that one can apply to the unfilled position through ERAS. But I imagine ERAS is now closed until July. Also wondering how to send LOR from ERAS to the unfilled positions.
Can anyone share literature about post match scramble?

Regards.

Last edited:
Thanks ghettomd. I am imagining it is a painful process. But wanted to understand the procedure when I am supposed to apply for the programs. Since ERAS is closed until July, will it open up for 2 days to apply for scramble programs?

Different programs do it differently... last year I heard that Fred Hutch filled with someone internally... Mount Sinai had interviewed 5 candidates out of 250 and picked a super competitive candidate from top IM program.. you just have to call and say you are available, but as you may imagine people who got a chance to interview likely are people who had 'calls'. Given how Heme/onc is becoming so competitive I would think this year there will be even fewer open spots as programs will learn to rank more candidates!

Thanks ghettomd. I am imagining it is a painful process. But wanted to understand the procedure when I am supposed to apply for the programs. Since ERAS is closed until July, will it open up for 2 days to apply for scramble programs?

Last edited:
Has anyone interviewed at Roswell Park in Buffalo? How many spots do they have each year? How's the quality and the reputation of the program?

Thanks

Hi everyone it's been a lot of fun sharing interviewing experience with you guys. Hopefully everyone can post their success by 12:01pm tomorrow!!!

Hi everyone it's been a lot of fun sharing interviewing experience with you guys. Hopefully everyone can post their success by 12:01pm tomorrow!!!

Best of luck to all of us!

2 more hours, it is an exciting day..........

I matched............University Of South california,
One more cold winter

Fred Hutch....Congrats to everyone.....

My first choice, Mount Sinai... congrats everyone!!!

i'm headed to Duke :)
congrats to all!

Vanderbilt for me!
Congratulations, everyone.
Thanks for sharing your experiences with all of us.

Cleveland Clinic for me...any info about unfilled positions

J. Hopkins.
See you there Baron77!!

So excited that this process is finally done! I'll be heading to University of Vermont!

this is really a great site, especially for those of us at institutions that do not have heme/onc programs.

congrats to everyone!

:D o9 onc

This is really awesome, looks like everyone got into their top choices... a very impressive list of fellowship matches on this forum!