Heme/Onc Fellowship Application Thread Part 2 - 2007-2008 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Emory..., congrats to everybody.

Members don't see this ad.

SLU for me. :thumbup:

Sense of relief!! Exciting times.

Thanks everybody for sharing their thoughts and insights. Best wishes to folks who matched and good luck for next yr for those who didn't.

Anybody else headed to SLU, MO?

since you can only look at the unfilled programs if you did not match...

one of my friends did not match in cardiology, so i peaked at heme/onc programs that did not fill. i looked on Friday, so there were fewer programs listed. (I think that he had said 13 programs originally or so?!) The list that I saw included the following: Univ of Michigan, UVA, and Long Island Jewish.

Did anyone else happen to look?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats again on the match for those who got a position.. for those people who didn't dont' give up!!! I have seen so many examples of people doing well after not matching initially... sounds like most of the unfilled spots are programs that are reputable, likely because they did not rank enough people...

It seems the hem/onc match is getting tougher each year, does anyone else share this impression?

Any idea about what to expect from programs after the match? When do we sign the official contract, etc? I guess we still have a year until fellowship, but I'm just curious... :)

(FYI, I got matched to my first choice after ranking 11 programs on my ROL. It was actually a nice learning experience interviewing at quite a few programs and interacting with different heme/onc attendings/professors/researchers, despite the price tag. Plus it was hard to predict how the match would turn out. Thanks to the forum for sharing your thoughts!) :hardy:

We'll probably all gonna run into each other in the future ASCO or ASH conferences... hope to see all of you guys in the near future! Seem like everyone got their top choice or two... best of luck to those who are scrambling for positions!

Last edited:
Hey- congrats to all who matched. I have a general question. I'm a MSIII and at this point am extremely interested in Hem/Onc or med onc and have no research experience but am looking into taking a year off to get some under my belt and hopefully a publication. It seems as though after this year is my best chance. From your experience what advice do you have? Anything is appreciated!

This forum is dying!! we have to keep up the enthusiasm seen in the previous threads. Congrats to all who got fellowship.
Let me start. I will be applying for 2009 cycle. Am an IMG in a community,univ-affiliated program with zero research exp. Hence the chances look really grim but i will apply becos am really interested.

Will be helpful if the forum candidates write their experience and background and what helped them to get into programs of their choice!! Thanks.

Hey Guys, Its the time again...I am gonna apply for heme-onc this year..Any special tips from people who applied last year?
It would be really helpful if you all can post the places where u interviewed and where u have matched.
Thanx
R