Heme/Onc Fellowship Application Thread Part 2 - 2007-2008 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You yourself posted a rejection by UMDMJ earlier

honestly, I have not heard from about 20 programs. many of them seem to have sent out both invitations and rejections, yet i have received neither. :scared: Of the 20 programs, I've listed the ones below that seem not to have been mentioned here. please let me know if you have heard from any of these places! still not sure, should i contact them??!?! (should i contact the other programs that have sent out interviews/rejections?!?!) e-mail or call?

Univ Connecticut
George Washington Univ (someone may have had an interview- i don't remember!)
georgetown (there are 2 programs- not sure if both are interviewing)
univ of illinois
boston univ
Michigan State
Univ of Michigan
Wayne State Univ
Dartmouth
UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson, New Brunswick
Virgnia Commonwealth

:scared: 09 onc

Members don't see this ad.

honestly, I have not heard from about 20 programs. many of them seem to have sent out both invitations and rejections, yet i have received neither. :scared: Of the 20 programs, I've listed the ones below that seem not to have been mentioned here. please let me know if you have heard from any of these places! still not sure, should i contact them??!?! (should i contact the other programs that have sent out interviews/rejections?!?!) e-mail or call?

Univ Connecticut
univ of illinois
boston univ
Michigan State
Univ of Michigan
Wayne State Univ
Dartmouth
Virgnia Commonwealth

i got an invite from boston u and umich approx 1 week ago.

still waiting on uchicago (yes i got the same email that they are still reviewing applications) and cornell (apparently the person who is reviewing my file is very slow about getting them back to the PD, per fellowship coordinator...i dont know if that is true, or if i am now on the B list...i wanted to email the PD directly instead of going through the coordinator but there is no email address anywhere that i can find on the internet...do any of you have cornell PD's email?? would really appreciate it!)

Members don't see this ad :)
Wayne State and Georgetown has sent out invites...

Univ Connecticut
univ of illinois
boston univ
Michigan State
Univ of Michigan
Wayne State Univ
Dartmouth
Virgnia Commonwealth

Wayne State and Georgetown has sent out invites...

Okay, not feeling better crew! :(

either i'm on the second list everywhere or on everyone's rejection list and i just haven't gotten the notices.

i sincerely like all of the 4 places where I have interviews, but would like a few more....

Invitation from UMiami yesterday. Does anybody know about this program? Thanks.

did anybody hear from U of Chicago?

U Conn sent out 20 invites for 2 positions a while ago; I already interviewed there. Frankly, you didn't miss much if you haven't heard from them.

Wayne State: Rejection, over the phone. And yes, they sent out invites in February.

Georgetown: Rejection, email.

Lol, thanks for being so honest about UConn... Does anyone know about the Wayne State program?

U Conn sent out 20 invites for 2 positions a while ago; I already interviewed there. Frankly, you didn't miss much if you haven't heard from them.

Wayne State: Rejection, over the phone. And yes, they sent out invites in February.

Georgetown: Rejection, email.

I have an interview at Tulane Univ on April. They are interviewing Fridays. I am not sure what people think about this program, Hope to get some feedback from fellows in this forum.
I heard from fellows there that the some researchesr had already left and the program not as it used to be
they r looking for 2 positions.
thx

invite from U of Chicago today

invite from U of C today also.
Can't believe they are interviewing all the way till May.

Can anybody compare these 2 programs and provide pluses and minuses for both programs.

1. Saint John Providence Michigan
2. Thomas Jefferson Pennsylvania

thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
can anyone share insight about the program and interview day at Northshore in Long Island?

thanks!

Invite from UCLA Harbor/City of Hope over the weekend, so it seems they're still coming in. I hadn't even realized I applied for this program, but will be happy to interview there. I only applied for UCLA Harbor Program 1... this must be it. I presume that Program 2 is just at Harbor. That probably would be good to sort out for those applying next year. Anyone know anything about the City of Hope program?

from Boston University Medical Center...anyone knows anything about the program....
thanks..intreviews march to may...

Ditto for BU, from their website, looks like an elite program definitely...!

from Boston University Medical Center...anyone knows anything about the program....
thanks..intreviews march to may...

Anybody willing to share their experience from interviewing at Mayo, MN?
thankx!

Ditto for BU, from their website, looks like an elite program definitely...!

Not to burst your bubble, but from my website, it looks like I'm the divine leader of 6 different religions and the shadow political leader of China, India and the US. It's a perfectly fine program, you will get plenty of exposure to bread and butter Hem/Onc and will be very well trained to work in the community. If you want research you'll have to work hard to find a good mentor and it's not a referral center so you won't get the cool/crazy stuff unless it just happens to just land there. But don't fool yourself and think that it's a "elite" program.

Thanks for the input gutonc... i meant they look an 'elite' program just from their website... just from what I have heard from a BU resident, they are a solid clinical program... but not likely a program that can rank against the best research institutions...

Not to burst your bubble, but from my website, it looks like I'm the divine leader of 6 different religions and the shadow political leader of China, India and the US. It's a perfectly fine program, you will get plenty of exposure to bread and butter Hem/Onc and will be very well trained to work in the community. If you want research you'll have to work hard to find a good mentor and it's not a referral center so you won't get the cool/crazy stuff unless it just happens to just land there. But don't fool yourself and think that it's a "elite" program.

what about BU vs Tufts vs BIDMC?

would appreciate all of your input.

from UMDNJ Robertwood Johnson (New Brunswick)....called prog coord and she handed the rejection over the phone....

rejection from UCSD by email.....

GL

by email......dont know if i can go....GL guys

by email......dont know if i can go....GL guys
Same here... I'll probably go in April. It's a good program with strong focus on basic and translational research. I am reluctant to say "NO" to interviews when it's all based on MATCH.
What do you think would be a resonable number of interviews? ...dumb question but I can't help asking myself this...

I don't think there is an answer to that... it would be really nice if one has a home/own program that can be some sort of "safety zone" but not many people have that luxury.. I heard people going to anywhere from 5-15 interviews...

Same here... I'll probably go in April. It's a good program with strong focus on basic and translational research. I am reluctant to say "NO" to interviews when it's all based on MATCH.
What do you think would be a resonable number of interviews? ...dumb question but I can't help asking myself this...

I also think BIDMC is far ahead BU and Tufts.
Any comments about Yale? I interviewed there but I did not get a great picture of the place, since I was not able to tour the facilities and only interview with 2 senior faculty.
Thanks!
ANA

anyone have any insight on Univ of Florida in Jacksonville. Not sure if I should go there. thanks again.

One unique aspect they had last year was a panel interview, in addition to the regular interviews. Panel interview was pretty much make or break. They also would let you know the same day how you fared etc., and followed up within a week letter + email), if they were very keen on you. The program has a very strong clinical focus
Not sure if they have the same structure this year

Anybody willing to share their experience from interviewing at Mayo, MN?
thankx!

if a program sends an email after the interview stating that they were glad you came to the interview, etc should I be excited and think they do like me, or is it just a generic email to all the applicants that just interviewed.

i.e. did anyone else who interviewed at northwestern receive an email a few days later?

thanks!

yes, I think northwestern send it to everyone. I received one also from PD a few days later.

if a program sends an email after the interview stating that they were glad you came to the interview, etc should I be excited and think they do like me, or is it just a generic email to all the applicants that just interviewed.

i.e. did anyone else who interviewed at northwestern receive an email a few days later?

thanks!

Hi Folks,

Anybody did interview at UPITT? Any insight into the program. Where it is placed as far as ranking is concerned

kind of related to the previous conversation....

how do you respond to a PD (or other interviewer) who says great things about your application and then has somewhat of a "sales closing" sentence like "what do i have to do to get you to come here?" also is this just a line that they use on everyone?!?!?

thanks!

Inthian you look like the big winner so far. If you dont mind me asking, which interviews are or have you chosen and which have you declined? What are your decisions on each program based on? Just curious?

hey guys... am starting the interview trail soon and was wondering if we could all share some experiences on the common and more challenging types of questions they ask out there. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hey All
I was just wondering which NYC programs people have heard from, have the interviews already been sent out?

research. everyone seems to want to know more about your research project. be familiar (and excited) about it.

what do you want to do when you finish fellowship?
tell me about yourself.
why heme/onc?
is there a particular field in which you are interested?
why this program?

otherwise, many have pointed out the fun things on my application (medical mission in Central America, past non-medical jobs, etc)

hope that helps. :oops:

hey guys... am starting the interview trail soon and was wondering if we could all share some experiences on the common and more challenging types of questions they ask out there. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

research. everyone seems to want to know more about your research project. be familiar (and excited) about it.

what do you want to do when you finish fellowship?

Answer...
At a university program: "Mostly research with some clinical work as well."

At a community program: "Make fat bank b1tch!."

Other answers will be frowned upon.

NYC Programs: Sloan, Columbia, Cornell, NYU, Sinai, Einstein has already sent out invites..

Community-Northshore, maimonides, st vincent has sent out invites... have not heard about st lukes/downstate... lenox hill 'wasted' everyone's time by filling internally without notifying candidates prior to ERAS registration

Hey All
I was just wondering which NYC programs people have heard from, have the interviews already been sent out?

Any one interviewed at Tulane? Any insights to the program?

Does anyone have an idea what is a safe number of interviews. I only have seven interviews and I am starting to get more nervous about matching. I am a FMG, no visa issues

no some programs in the midwest and down south

Hey everyone...I know it is still early, but how are people thinking about ranking the "top programs" in the NE/South (Dana Farber, Hopkins, Sloan Kettering, MD Anderson)? Any thoughts at this juncture?

I want to ask those who matched in previous years. Did you, or have you guys heard, of people matching at places when they were invited in march/april as a result of second wave interviews? (possible from initial cancellations).. was thinking if one should attend those last minute invites...

I did interview in April for one of my top choices. They called me a couple of days prior to submitting the rank list to let me know that they will rank me and all that. I am dead certain they did, based on my conversations with them after the match and email from PD. But I have no way to confirm it 100% since I matched at a choice above them

I want to ask those who matched in previous years. Did you, or have you guys heard, of people matching at places when they were invited in march/april as a result of second wave interviews? (possible from initial cancellations).. was thinking if one should attend those last minute invites...

Did anyone attend interview at FCCC. Seemed a little unorganised. Sent out thank you letters via email. Did not get any reply from the faculty. Is this something expected? How do we get any feedback from the interviewers? Thank you for any input. GL to all.