Heme/Onc Fellowship Application Thread Part 2 - 2007-2008 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
has anyone heard from USC (university of southern california), UCLA-Olive View, or UCSD. Have they given out invitations as yet?

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I went to FCCC in feb..... two of the four faculty had responded to my thank you email(not the PD), but I dont think that means anything... I think closer to rank list making, programs will have a better idea of who they want and like, and I have heard some of the programs also contact those they are very interested in...

Sarthi, thanks for the reply. I think if I get one or two of those late invites I may still go if it's convenient enough, because it is a match afterall...and you can never be certain!

Did anyone attend interview at FCCC. Seemed a little unorganised. Sent out thank you letters via email. Did not get any reply from the faculty. Is this something expected? How do we get any feedback from the interviewers? Thank you for any input. GL to all.

I want to ask those who matched in previous years. Did you, or have you guys heard, of people matching at places when they were invited in march/april as a result of second wave interviews? (possible from initial cancellations).. was thinking if one should attend those last minute invites...

That's a tough question to answer, but one which we wondered about last year as well...One of the reasons why it's hard to answer is that you never know if you are actually a second-wave interviewee (although you usually have strong suspicions based on timing and hearing other people interviewing there much earlier) or if the program is just slogging through their applications and got to yours later. Of course, in the Internet age where information travels fast and far, you can usually piece together that certain programs have offered initial waves of interviews, second waves of interviews, etc...

To answer your question, I can't say I know of or heard anyone matching at a program where they were a "second-wave" interviewee, but I'm pretty certain it happens. It's a match, after all, and anything can happen (i.e. Fred Hutchinson having an unfilled spot last year). No one knows, or ever will know, how this whole process works, so I would say if the program is somewhere you're interested in going, no matter how late they offer you an interview, I would strongly consider going - if only to check the place out for your own curiosity. You never know - you may end up there after all.

From a personal standpoint, the only interview I got that I am 99.999% certain was a "second-wave" interview was UCSF (offer in March, interviewed early April), and they seemed totally uninterested in me for the entire time I was there....which left me wondering why the hell they invited me in the first place. Just a horrible interview experience. I didn't rank them, so I have no idea if I'd have matched there, but based on my interview day, I am quite certain I was nowhere near their final rank list of candidates. I think their program was really good and I absolutely love San Francisco (who doesn't), so I don't hold it against them at all.

Anyway, that's my input from last year's interview circuit...Take that for whatever it's worth...

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you ghettomd. Is FCCC among your high ranked programs?
Did anybody receive interview from UofL (Ky). Received rejection on friday and interview invitation today from UofL.
GL to all

Comparatively, I think FCCC is among the top 5 programs I have thus far visited... of course I did not apply to some of the prestigious programs (Sloan, Farber, Anderson, Hopkins) because I think they are looking at a different sort of candidate than myself, so I can't tell you the differences... I think overall it is a great clinical training program!

Thank you ghettomd. Is FCCC among your high ranked programs?
Did anybody receive interview from UofL (Ky). Received rejection on friday and interview invitation today from UofL.
GL to all

Thanks for your input, clueless1... definitely agree with you, anything can happen in a match... for the people who matched last year.... in 3 months you will all be fellows...thats pretty exciting!!

That's a tough question to answer, but one which we wondered about last year as well...One of the reasons why it's hard to answer is that you never know if you are actually a second-wave interviewee (although you usually have strong suspicions based on timing and hearing other people interviewing there much earlier) or if the program is just slogging through their applications and got to yours later. Of course, in the Internet age where information travels fast and far, you can usually piece together that certain programs have offered initial waves of interviews, second waves of interviews, etc...

To answer your question, I can't say I know of or heard anyone matching at a program where they were a "second-wave" interviewee, but I'm pretty certain it happens. It's a match, after all, and anything can happen (i.e. Fred Hutchinson having an unfilled spot last year). No one knows, or ever will know, how this whole process works, so I would say if the program is somewhere you're interested in going, no matter how late they offer you an interview, I would strongly consider going - if only to check the place out for your own curiosity. You never know - you may end up there after all.

From a personal standpoint, the only interview I got that I am 99.999% certain was a "second-wave" interview was UCSF (offer in March, interviewed early April), and they seemed totally uninterested in me for the entire time I was there....which left me wondering why the hell they invited me in the first place. Just a horrible interview experience. I didn't rank them, so I have no idea if I'd have matched there, but based on my interview day, I am quite certain I was nowhere near their final rank list of candidates. I think their program was really good and I absolutely love San Francisco (who doesn't), so I don't hold it against them at all.

Anyway, that's my input from last year's interview circuit...Take that for whatever it's worth...

I am going to 10 interviews. What do you guys think based on stats what are my chance to match. :luck:

is there a scramble for heme/onc positions when a program does not fill? (similiar to internal medicine)

Thanks for the link, gutonc... seems like Heme/Onc is less biased against foreign medical graduates compared to cardiology/GI (58% of spots went to US grad, vs 63-70 in cardio and GI)... also the expansion in the number of fellowship position in H/O is surprising...

Some other things to notice... 241/312 of the US grads matched last year... thats about 76%... compare that to GI and Cardio... 438 of 550 of the US grads matched: thats about 80%.. and in GI 230/319 of the US grads matched... thats about 68%... interesting numbers that people will never expect...

http://www.nrmp.org/data/resultsanddatasms2008.pdf

As you can imagine it depends on a lot of things including board scores, IMG/FMG status, residency, research, etc.

Hello everyone.

Just out of curiosity, how many of you have a Ph.D? I am a 1st year med student with a Ph.D. and would eventually like to apply for a Heme/Onc fellowship. I had heard that a Ph.D. can help to get interviews. I figured you guys were the experts on this so I came here. Thanks for the help and good luck to you all.

MJ

Hello everyone.

Just out of curiosity, how many of you have a Ph.D? I am a 1st year med student with a Ph.D. and would eventually like to apply for a Heme/Onc fellowship. I had heard that a Ph.D. can help to get interviews. I figured you guys were the experts on this so I came here. Thanks for the help and good luck to you all.

MJ

I have one but I can't really comment on whether it helped me get interviews as I didn't trying applying w/o it. I'm sure it does offer some benefit but I don't know if you can quantify it. Certainly doesn't hurt you when applying to big research universities, may not be much help when applying to small community programs.

from Univ of Michigan...PD called me on the cellphone....perhaps secondary to cancellations.....doubt if i will be able to go....\

almost done with all the interviews.....hope everyone is doing well... GL guys..

Members don't see this ad :)
from Univ of Michigan...PD called me on the cellphone....perhaps secondary to cancellations.....doubt if i will be able to go....\

almost done with all the interviews.....hope everyone is doing well... GL guys..

Hey Inthian,
How is your interview season going? I am getting closer to the end and getting tired as well. My last one is this week at DFCI. I said no to Minneapolis but I would really like to go to Ann Arbor. Strong stem cell research (Sean Morrison, etc)... Seattle was amazing and the interview day was flawless. Hopkins was a lot of fun. I've got to reunite with some of my peeps from Med school.
Let me know how things are for you.
Best of luck!

dartmouth interview by eras email. i spoke with the office.. something about them just now sending out interviews (ie i'm not third string, they just invite late). she also said that they will be sending out rejection letters (rather than the "well, if you haven't heard from us by august, then clearly we do not want you for an interview. thank you for the cash" approach).

Congrats on the Dartmouth interview 09Onc... for people interested only in NYC Downstate had sent out invites by phone... I'm so burned out after all these interviews.. and match day is still two months away!!

dartmouth interview by eras email. i spoke with the office.. something about them just now sending out interviews (ie i'm not third string, they just invite late). she also said that they will be sending out rejection letters (rather than the "well, if you haven't heard from us by august, then clearly we do not want you for an interview. thank you for the cash" approach).

I don't have a Ph.D., but I think coming from a medicine program located at one of the ~21 NCCN member institutions helps a lot. I also think getting letters from well-published/recognized oncology faculty also helps. On my interviews, I think maybe 20% of the interviewees had Ph.D.'s.
Hello everyone.

MJ

Going there for interview in 2 weeks. Does anyone know anything about this program?

from MSKCC, Univ of Maryland and Univ of Chicago....

Neither disappointed nor surprised....hope everyone is doing okay with interviews....seems like the wait for the match is going to a little hard....anyway GL everyone....

I share the same feelings about the news. Last interview coming on Thursday but Match list pretty much ready. I have 2 very busy months (May and June) so time will fly until the Match. I have sent F/U letters to almost all PDs and "significant others" so, it's time for me to pack my things and go on vacation.
DON'T FORGET TO RELAX!
GL all and Inthian GL in Minneapolis at the end of the month.

Any of you guys interviewed at Rush in Chicago? Is it a panel interview?
Any informations about the program?

Does it matter regarding how easy to find a private practice job and amount of salary if you go to a good name academic fellowship vs. so so program, assuming all other parameters are equal. Thanks

has anyone gone on a "second look" anywhere? good idea? bad idea? what should i expect? should i do anything in particular?

hope everyone is doing okay. this waiting process is crazy. :scared:

I am done with the interview season and i am exhausted

what to expect from programs

If they like you do they sent out email?

The wait is driving me nuts

Ill be happy to match anywhere at this stage

Done with intreviews
question: when do we need to submit the certified list, end of may?
it was very competitive this year.....

How many programs should a person apply to ensure sufficient interviews or acceptance? Is hem/onc quickly becoming as competitive as cards and GI nowadays? How many programs did you guys apply to?

How many programs should a person apply to ensure sufficient interviews or acceptance? Is hem/onc quickly becoming as competitive as cards and GI nowadays? How many programs did you guys apply to?

Hem/Onc is becoming more competitive. Not Cards/GI but a solid #3 and getting harder every year.

The # of programs you need to apply to depends on a lot of things like IMG/FMG vs AMG status, type of residency program (academic vs community), board scores, LORs, the programs you apply to, etc. Similar to what you had to deal w/ when applying for residency. I applied to 10 programs (the # you get w/ your basic NRMP fee), got 9 invitations, went on 7 interviews and matched at my #1. YMMV of course and this was last year so assume it's gotten more competitive.

There are people who apply to only 1 program and match, and those who apply to 50 and don't match. Statistically speaking, you're probably in the middle somewhere but it's hard to say just where.

should we expect any feedback from the programs?

I received an email from UW/FHCRC, seattle regarding the type of training (single board or double board), but it looked like general email
Did you start working on your ranking list?

Thats a good question. Should we be expecting some encouraging emails from the program?

I did recieve some emails but they are like "good luck on the match" good meeting you

plus should we be sending reminders to the programs we interviewed at?

1 last question

Have you gurs registered for the NRMP yet

thanks.

How much emphasis do they put on board scores? I've heard people say Step 3 doesn't matter that much for fellowship as long as we pass. Is that true for hem/onc? Are community hem/onc fellowships much less competitive to get in?

How much emphasis do they put on board scores? I've heard people say Step 3 doesn't matter that much for fellowship as long as we pass. Is that true for hem/onc? Are community hem/onc fellowships much less competitive to get in?

Step 3 doesn't generally matter b/c not every applicant has taken it (I hadn't when I applied). But since everyone now has Step 2 in the bag that becomes the screening test for applications (vs Step 1 for residency).

In general, as w/ residency, community programs will, overall, be less competitive than academic programs. As w/ residency however, there are some great community programs and some crap academic places so use this only as a general rule and not a commandment.

So, someone asked for some insight on the City of Hope/UCLA Harbor program and since nothing has been posted before I thought I'd give some of my impressions after interviewing there.

Overall, I was very impressed with the quality and the character of the program, faculty and fellows. It is a small program - 3 fellows per year - which is a new expansion. The dept chair, Dr Figlin, has recently come over from UCLA and he seems to be the captain of the institution's new direction in expanding the fellowship and research program. There are several other new faculty from around the country so it appears to be a growing program. One of the things I was curious about was the uniqueness of it being a free-standing cancer center, similar to, for example, Fox Chase, where I also interviewed.

The benefit of such programs, as elucidated to me, is that any funding obtained by faculty stays within the institution, as opposed to big universities where money gets pooled and distributed among the individual divisions. Of course, university programs have other advantages, particularly with respect to basic science research, but that should be obvious. COH does have a large lab onsite, the Beckman Lab, and has current collaborations with CalTech in Pasadena. It seems they have a pipeline from the lab to the clinics for phase I trials/drug development.

Most of the fellows have gone into private practice, but there appears to be an emphasis in grooming new faculty, which is reflected in the interview. It really felt like they were interviewing for future colleagues, which was nice if that's what you're planning. They were all extremely friendly and approachable. All in all, there were nine! interviews during the day. 8 at COH, one at Harbor.

The program at COH is designated on ERAS as UCLA Harbor Program #1. Keep in mind that most of the inpatient (benign) heme exposure and continuity clinics are at Harbor. COH is in Duarte and Harbor is in Torrance. For any familiar w/So Cal geography, you will realize these places are 40 miles apart! How much you have to commute between the two is unclear but appears to be once or twice a week if you're doing time at COH. This makes locating yourself strategically a bit of a challenge, although the fellows live anywhere between Diamond Bar and Los Feliz. The program is pretty much structured as 18 mos clinical/18 mos research with double-boarding the norm.

Program #2 is at UCLA Harbor and some of the local Kaiser hospitals and is designed for those interested in private practice. The quota says one per year, but I'm not sure. Pure serendipity led me to apply to Program 1 (and not no. 2), which would have been my preference had I known beforehand.

Overall, I think this program is a gem and has a lot of financial backing. The clinical experience seems excellent and the faculty supportive. This is clearly a program for clinical researchers, although several of the faculty run their own labs onsite. The big downsides are probably the commute! and perhaps the lack of access to a big university environment.

Compared to other programs I've visited - Northwestern, Michigan, Fox Chase, others - City of Hope/UCLA Harbor fares favorably. I did not interview at the big research institutions so can't compare.

I think that we are all working now on putting our rank-list together...I was just wondering, how would you compare Cleveland clinic and University wash/ Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center..I am more interested for solid tumors...I would appreciate your input...Thanks!

Did anyone get an email from Fred Hutch telling them sugar coated words from PD/Assoc. PD in last few days.

I got one.

Does that mean anything?

Input appreciated.

got the same email stating that they were impressed and would rank me among the top applicants....the email looked very generic...i wouldnt put much weight on that.....good luck

I think that we are all working now on putting our rank-list together...I was just wondering, how would you compare Cleveland clinic and University wash/ Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center..I am more interested for solid tumors...I would appreciate your input...Thanks!
if you are interested in solid oncology, then Cleveland clinic would be better since Fred Hutch is not known for solids.....in fact the program was under probation earlier for not focusing much on solids.....but the PD and chairman indicated that they are strengthening this area of the program.....GL

Got the same e-mail from Fred Hutch...it seems like a generic one.
Cleveland clinic seems like a good program, with very energetic new PDs but still starting...

I interviewed at both places last year, and if I were interested in solid tumors I would have probably ranked Cleaveland higher than Hutch last year. However, having much more information about Hutch now- they are seriously strengthening their solid tumor focus, I would have ranked Hutch higher than Cleaveland now...
Disclaimer-> I have still not started my fellowship and my information about Cleaveland is limited too..

Hey guys, few more weeks and we will have our answers.. good luck to everyone!! I want to ask, for those of us in this match and who've matched previously.. has anyone heard of people receiving prematch offers at good academic places, or told they were 'guaranteed to match' by PDs

My own experience-> Last year I had no pre-match offers from places I interviewed at, but 3 PDs did tell me they will be ranking me to match.

Good luck to everyone!

Hey guys, few more weeks and we will have our answers.. good luck to everyone!! I want to ask, for those of us in this match and who've matched previously.. has anyone heard of people receiving prematch offers at good academic places, or told they were 'guaranteed to match' by PDs

Hi! Was wondering what you all think of Yale vs. NYU vs. Montefiore re: reputation and overall training. I'm looking for a balanced academic career with a good clinical experience. Thanks!

Thanks, Sarthi, for the input. Was wondering if the program you eventually matched gave you any indications... As far as NYU/Yale/Monte, I think having gone to NYU and Yale myself, I think NYU has the best mix of academic and clinical balance, first year of heme with rough calls, second year of onc and virtually no call in house, and a third year of research with no calls. Did not visit Montefiore, but hear that the clinical training there is second to none.. and Yale is strong in basic science/bench research. In addition, you can't beat the NYU location. Hope this helps.

Hi,
Does anyone feel it is necessary to email PD's that you will match the program high? I have earlier sent an Thank You email after the interviews. Does anyone think it is better to followup with another email?

GL and Regards.

I got a few calls from PD's pre-Rank List indicating they really wanted me to go to their programs, and for the most part, I think they were pretty genuine (unlike in residency, where you pretty much don't believe anything anyone says...). I think they probably don't bother to call for the fellowship match unless they're interested in having you; there's a lot more investment in you as a fellow, so PD's want to be sure. Having said that....take everything a PD says with a grain of salt. Until you actually match at a program, talk is cheap (as in, worthless). But, I think you can feel a bit better about a place if their PD bothers to call you. For the record, the PD at my soon-to-be (in 1 month!) fellowship called me pre-Rank List due date and more or less told me I'd be their top-ranked candidate. So take from that whatever you will...

hemonc09: never hurts to stay in touch with PD's of programs you are legitimately interested in. If you want to go somewhere, let them know.

its interesting to see that Fred Hutch is going for the match with only 8 spots....i thought and was told during the interview that they had 9 spots...wonder what happened?

anyway, have finalized my list and now the waiting begins.....Gl everyone....

.i was told during the interview at FH that, in case that more candidates are interested in hem onc (vc onc)they will need to cut down to 8 positions.
How did you check the number of positions?
Thanks

its interesting to see that Fred Hutch is going for the match with only 8 spots....i thought and was told during the interview that they had 9 spots...wonder what happened?

anyway, have finalized my list and now the waiting begins.....Gl everyone....
Hey Inthian,
Long time no see.
What would you rank higher Hopkins or Fred Hutch... (ignore your current location).
GL in the Match!

you can check through NRMP.....the programs should have finalized their quota by May 21.....you can check by looking up the program through the directory.....GL

.i was told during the interview at FH that, in case that more candidates are interested in hem onc (vc onc)they will need to cut down to 8 positions.
How did you check the number of positions?
Thanks

Earlier today I received a phone call from one of the PDs- of a great program for me, however, one that I will probably rank #3. I'm calling back tomorrow, but what do I say?!? Is he seriously going to ask me if I am ranking them #1? Help!

kind of wouldn't mind if my #1 would give me a call or two....:scared:

I got a few calls from PD's pre-Rank List indicating they really wanted me to go to their programs, and for the most part, I think they were pretty genuine (unlike in residency, where you pretty much don't believe anything anyone says...). I think they probably don't bother to call for the fellowship match unless they're interested in having you; there's a lot more investment in you as a fellow, so PD's want to be sure. Having said that....take everything a PD says with a grain of salt. Until you actually match at a program, talk is cheap (as in, worthless). But, I think you can feel a bit better about a place if their PD bothers to call you. For the record, the PD at my soon-to-be (in 1 month!) fellowship called me pre-Rank List due date and more or less told me I'd be their top-ranked candidate. So take from that whatever you will...

hemonc09: never hurts to stay in touch with PD's of programs you are legitimately interested in. If you want to go somewhere, let them know.