Hem/Onc fellowship application thread 2010-2011!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did any programs reply to your thank you emails. If not is that a bad sign or are we reading too much into it?

Members don't see this ad.

VERY Quiet.

Has anyone received any iv offers or rejections last two weeks?

Hi! Can somebody please give me some information on the Cleveland Clinic Hem/Onc program? Your help will be much appreciated! Thankx!

Members don't see this ad :)
Did any programs reply to your thank you emails. If not is that a bad sign or are we reading too much into it?

They usually do reply, but not all of them. I generally email to all the people who interviewed me and most of them, if not all, do reply. Some are nice and write 3-4 sentences, while some reply with just one sentence...
Even if they don't, I don't think it is of any huge significance.

...i have had replies to my thank-you notes. especially if there is something personal in it...

NYC -- has anyone heard/not heard from the NYC programs?

Hi guys!
-Any thoughts on the Cleveland clinic program?? Please share them !! thankss!

In the past has there ever been interviews end of april or does it all stop by mid april?

I got IV from UAMS for hem/onc. Can any one share their interview experience at UAMS, if any?

just to mention here: I interviewd at Baylor, Dallas. Any idea about this program? It seems like completely non-research and completely private practice oriented program to me. Any one interviewed at Baylor?

Thanks a bunch !

Guys,
Your views on MCW Hematology/Oncology Program...

Guys,
Your views on MCW Hematology/Oncology Program...

There has been ongoing problems within the program with faculty leaving the program. And the seperation between Hem and Onc is great in the sense that Hem was almost nil w/o almost any attending as all attendings left there were having Onc oriented practice. Now they were of course working on to recruit more faculty this aspect but I am not sure to how much extent they have been able to patch things for themselves. Otherwise the cancer center itself and services are nice for the community.

When you interview there, try to get the real current picture.
Good luck.

Folks,

DO not forget the NRMP match registration.

Note:Rank Order List starts on 04/06/2011
Wish the best to All of you for the interviews.

Got a call from there...but just concerned how the program is after the hurricane ?

Any words of wisdom

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Case Western vs Florida-Gainesville based only on reputation.

Thank you for your help. Deeply appreciated.

.Medical Specialties** (MSMP) 2012.

. Match Begins 01/05/11.​

. Rank Order List Opens 04/06/11.​

. Quota Change Deadline 05/18/11.​

. Rank Order List Closes* 06/01/11.​

. Match 06/15/11.​

Last edited:
Any one know about programs that have finished their interview cycle??

So April is upon us and we will all soon be driving ourselves crazy with the rank list. So I think we should all begin to post our interview experiences and thoughts about programs. Lets do the following format and add/edit as you wish.

Program name:
Number of positions:
Rotation breakdown:
Call schedule:
Program strengths:
Program weaknesses:
PD/program leadership:
Research:
Facilities/Location:
Interview day experience:
Fellows:
Overall feel:

I will get things started..

Last edited:
Program name: Univ. Of Maryland
Number of positions: 5 per year
Rotation breakdown: Mainly all inpatient the first year (2-3 heme, 2-3 onc, 2-3 heme consults, 2-3 onc consults, 1-2 transplant, 1 elec). Years 2-3 mainly outpatient/research.
Call schedule: q5w (weekends) on wards first year. Do NOT field outpatient calls first year as calls are just for inpatient activities etc. Yrs 2,3 with even more relaxed schedule.
Program strengths: NCI designated cancer center. Good clinical training with broad pathology. Great VA experience with primarily outpatient/continuity clinic. Good didactics/conferences.
Program weaknesses: Baltimore! Not the greatest research opportunities (see below).
PD/program leadership: Very friendly PD. Been there for about 3-4 years I think. Appears to be changing program to be more academic oriented
Research: Basic science opportunities available and labs are right next door. Clinical training mainly in the form of retrospective studies per fellows.
Facilities/Location: Good facilities but poor location. Cost of living average.
Interview day experience: A bit disorganized and rushed but relaxed interviews. Fellows all appear happy with their clinical training.
Fellows: Mix of married single. Most live outside the city. Overall easy going group.
Overall feel: Fairly typical academic program, good in most things but nothing in particular sticks out. Will feel confident coming out of here with the clinical training. May not be the greatest for an academic career.

Whats wrong with the city of Baltimore? Have you actually spent enough time in the city to label it as a "weak" city?

Is anyone getting any more interviews these days ???

Program name: Univ. Of Maryland
Number of positions: 5 per year
Rotation breakdown: Mainly all inpatient the first year (2-3 heme, 2-3 onc, 2-3 heme consults, 2-3 onc consults, 1-2 transplant, 1 elec). Years 2-3 mainly outpatient/research.
Call schedule: q5w (weekends) on wards first year. Do NOT field outpatient calls first year as calls are just for inpatient activities etc. Yrs 2,3 with even more relaxed schedule.
Program strengths: NCI designated cancer center. Good clinical training with broad pathology. Great VA experience with primarily outpatient/continuity clinic. Good didactics/conferences.
Program weaknesses: Baltimore! Not the greatest research opportunities (see below).
PD/program leadership: Very friendly PD. Been there for about 3-4 years I think. Appears to be changing program to be more academic oriented
Research: Basic science opportunities available and labs are right next door. Clinical training mainly in the form of retrospective studies per fellows.
Facilities/Location: Good facilities but poor location. Cost of living average.
Interview day experience: A bit disorganized and rushed but relaxed interviews. Fellows all appear happy with their clinical training.
Fellows: Mix of married single. Most live outside the city. Overall easy going group.
Overall feel: Fairly typical academic program, good in most things but nothing in particular sticks out. Will feel confident coming out of here with the clinical training. May not be the greatest for an academic career.

How do you make the assumption "friendly PD", is it just from the interview?
I am just asking as I had known some graduates from the program.

after years of reading sdn, this Baltimore negativity has prompted an actual reply. seriously, Baltimore is a fantastic city, don't really think a visit to one program qualifies you as an expert. and no this isn't a trick question.

People are entitled to their opinions. I have spent a couple summers in Baltimore and appreciate the seafood. But that's about it. I personally do not like Boston either after 9 years there either.

Nothing personal towards anyone. Someone took the time to post what he/she thought might be useful or insightful to others. Chill out.

What do you guys think about second visit? What do program want to know us as candidates through a second visit? Is it common that program offers second visit?

Thanks for your input!

I've never heard of it for fellowship. It's generally hard enough to get time off for the interview, I can't imagine having taken another 2 days for a 2nd look.

Also, any 2nd look should be for you, not for the program.

Thanks for your input! Can you please check your message?

I've never heard of it for fellowship. It's generally hard enough to get time off for the interview, I can't imagine having taken another 2 days for a 2nd look.

Also, any 2nd look should be for you, not for the program.

In terms of potential for research in preparation for an academic position, how would you rank the following programs:

OHSU, University of Minnesota, University of Florida Gainseville , Albert Einstein-Montefiore, Thomas Jefferson, Roswell park , University of Virginia and UTSW.

Any input would be appreciated.

In terms of potential for research in preparation for an academic position, how would you rank the following programs:

OHSU, University of Minnesota, University of Florida Gainseville , Albert Einstein-Montefiore, Thomas Jefferson, Roswell park , University of Virginia and UTSW.

Any input would be appreciated.

Great programs. Congrats 3 coins.

Personally if you are truly interested in research I would rank NCI designated programs on your list higher. No question.

Thanks Tedebear, the problem is many programs have great basic science research programs i.e. UTSW but the program's structure , mainly the protected time available for research or the structure to hook you up with mentors may not be conducive to actually avail yourself of these opportunities...I wonder what others would think about that? So I guess my question is for those who know the structure of those places what is the likelihood that someone would be able to spend 12-18 months in the lab in any of these places and get something out of it?

Thanks Tedebear, the problem is many programs have great basic science research programs i.e. UTSW but the program's structure , mainly the protected time available for research or the structure to hook you up with mentors may not be conducive to actually avail yourself of these opportunities...I wonder what others would think about that? So I guess my question is for those who know the structure of those places what is the likelihood that someone would be able to spend 12-18 months in the lab in any of these places and get something out of it?

I can speak only for OHSU, but protected research time is sacrosanct around here. Not everybody avails themselves of it, but if you are so inclined, you can get 2 full years of 80-90% protected research time (bench, translational or clinical) here (probably 80% 2nd year and 90% 3rd year). I imagine the same is true at some of those other places but I have no first hand knowledge.

Thank you Gutonc, that was my feeling too when I visited OHSU and I LOVED it for that particular reason. I am not sure how NCI designation matters on the level of the fellows..for instance University of Florida is not NCI designated but in the US news ranking reputation scores it ranks above all of the other institutions .....

Any help with ranking these programs would be appreiciated.

Thank you Gutonc, that was my feeling too when I visited OHSU and I LOVED it for that particular reason. I am not sure how NCI designation matters on the level of the fellows..for instance University of Florida is not NCI designated but in the US news ranking reputation scores it ranks above all of the other institutions .....

Wait...US News still exists? If it weren't for all the BS academic lists they make, they would have long ago gone under like Newsweek did. Feel free to ignore those lists.

I have posted this before regarding NCI Cancer Center designation. I asked our Cancer Institute director (some semi-famous CML dude with a Lasker prize and the most successful targeted therapy to his name) about this (we are a "Cancer Center" but not a "Comprehensive Cancer Center"). The difference between those two is a level of non-clinical support staff such as extra patient advocates, additional social workers and other stuff which is nice to have but in no way influences the care you can provide or the patients you see. Some sort of Cancer Center designation is important but CCC vs CC (and NCCN on top of that) isn't really that relevant.

Since the programs are almost done with interviews and some of them are now sitting together to form their rank lists, is it a good idea to send a second email expressing your interest (already sent a thank you/interested email after interview.

if you didnt interview with and send a thank you letter to the PD, I'd probably go ahead with the letter of interest to the PD. i'm not sure of the answer if you interviewed with the PD and already sent a thank you letter after the interview. i suppose it's not a bad idea. just make sure the letter is not saying the same thing twice.

on a separate note, any programs which people particularly liked? for some reason, there doesnt seem to be as much talk about various programs compared to year's past.

Fox Chase, UPMC, UCSD, UCLA, Wash U, U Minnesota

How would you rank these for solid tumor training? Appreciate your input.

Also, do you guys tell your No. 1 program that it's your No.1?

Fox Chase, UPMC, UCSD, UCLA, Wash U, U Minnesota

How would you rank these for solid tumor training? Appreciate your input.

Also, do you guys tell your No. 1 program that it's your No.1?

Solid tumor-wise, I'd put Fox Chase, UPMC and WU at the top and UMinn way at the bottom. Otherwise those are all pretty similar, good programs and you can't really go wrong.

Thank you Gutonc! how would you compare UCSD and Fox Chase? Location-wise, I like California more:), but it's really only for three years. The fellow I met at UCLA told us their first year is like an extra year of medicine.

Solid tumor-wise, I'd put Fox Chase, UPMC and WU at the top and UMinn way at the bottom. Otherwise those are all pretty similar, good programs and you can't really go wrong.

Last edited:
Thank you Gutonc! how would you compare UCSD and Fox Chase? Location-wise, I like California more:), but it's really only for three years. The fellow I met at UCLA told us their first year is like an extra year of medicine.

The first year everywhere is the same as IM. It's like being an intern again.

As far as UCSD vs Fox Chase, I'd personally go for UCSD because I'm more basic science oriented and the research options there are better than at FCCC which is primarily clinically oriented.

Oh God, we are not even a third year yet but have to think about being an intern again:scared:

How would you compare UCSD and UCLA then? I felt the faculties at UCLA do not care as much about the fellows' training. Maybe it was just me.

As far as UCSD vs Fox Chase, I'd personally go for UCSD because I'm more basic science oriented and the research options there are better than at FCCC which is primarily clinically oriented.

Gutonc, I have to disagree with you. It is true that in MOST places the first year is the same as IM. Not true for Fox Chase. I am a first year fellow here, and that was the exact reason why I chose to come to this place. Our first year is pretty much only outpatient clinics, 4 half days a week. Only cancer, no IM stuff. Minimal to none inpatient responsability (throughout the fellowship!). Pretty much you have to consult on your own clinic patients if they are admitted, but there is a hospitalist + IM resident team taking care of them in the hospital.

Regarding research, there are tons of basic science opportunities at Fox Chase (remember, Fox Chase has 2 Nobel prizes and one Kyoto prize associated to its name). And if you are bench oriented, you can have 90% of dedicated research time on 2nd and 3rd years, if you want. And there are lots of clinical research opportunities as well, one of our first year fellows was able to write a Phase II, investigator initiated, pharma sponsored protocol that is going live in 2 months, before the end of his first year.

Gutonc, I have to disagree with you. It is true that in MOST places the first year is the same as IM. Not true for Fox Chase. I am a first year fellow here, and that was the exact reason why I chose to come to this place. Our first year is pretty much only outpatient clinics, 4 half days a week. Only cancer, no IM stuff. Minimal to none inpatient responsability (throughout the fellowship!). Pretty much you have to consult on your own clinic patients if they are admitted, but there is a hospitalist + IM resident team taking care of them in the hospital.

FTR, this is an unusual setup for most fellowships. But that's neither here nor there. Although I did a fair amount of inpatient work, it wasn't "IM stuff" other than as that related to oncology. We only admit/care for our patients or patients with new, tissue confirmed diagnoses who require inpatient chemo (just because they have a new dx of lung cancer doesn't mean they're coming to our service). Our program tried that "hospitalists taking care of cancer patients" thing and it was an unmitigated disaster. I know other programs where it works just fine though.

Regarding research, there are tons of basic science opportunities at Fox Chase (remember, Fox Chase has 2 Nobel prizes and one Kyoto prize associated to its name). And if you are bench oriented, you can have 90% of dedicated research time on 2nd and 3rd years, if you want. And there are lots of clinical research opportunities as well, one of our first year fellows was able to write a Phase II, investigator initiated, pharma sponsored protocol that is going live in 2 months, before the end of his first year.

I also didn't say that there was no basic science @ FCCC, just that they're better known for their clinical/translational work and that is far and away their strength. Saying they have more/better basic science options than UCSD (the only comparison I made, but you could include WU in that statement) would be insane...and wrong.

FTR, this is an unusual setup for most fellowships. But that's neither here nor there. Although I did a fair amount of inpatient work, it wasn't "IM stuff" other than as that related to oncology. We only admit/care for our patients or patients with new, tissue confirmed diagnoses who require inpatient chemo (just because they have a new dx of lung cancer doesn't mean they're coming to our service). Our program tried that "hospitalists taking care of cancer patients" thing and it was an unmitigated disaster. I know other programs where it works just fine though.

I also didn't say that there was no basic science @ FCCC, just that they're better known for their clinical/translational work and that is far and away their strength. Saying they have more/better basic science options than UCSD (the only comparison I made, but you could include WU in that statement) would be insane...and wrong.

Cool! I misunderstood your statement. Completely agree with you.

anyone visit uchicago? thoughts on the program? i loved the program leadership, influence in asco, and their strengths in head/neck/lung. any applicant or fellow perspective?

If one had to decide between ranking a Hem-Onc combined program vs Oncology only program.. How should one go about the decision...?

As far as my goals are concerned, I am not too decided for or against the academia route as yet.. I want to keep both the options open for future.

I have a preference for the location where oncology alone program is situated vs... balancing the act of letting Hem onc position go from hand if I do not put Hem-Onc program on top of list....

So trying to see how much damage is occurring by letting heme board certification drop in the long term career....

- Will lack of Hematology board in private practice hamper the prospects of getting a good job? or limit the choices in available jobs significantly...? (esp for IMG with visa requirements)

- How much of real world community / academic practice is Hematology consults and how much is oncology related? 30-70 % or 10-90% (with more work being oncology related of course) any inputs... ?

- If you are Oncology certified alone, how likely the academic centers to hire you Vs dual Hem-Onc certifications? somewhat, not at all, depends?

- how likely are you to be able to get a separate 2 year hematology fellowship at any institutes in future to be able to get Hematology borad certified as well....

(2 years for heme knowing the fact that if one does not get a combined hem-Onc program to begin with and have to the two i.e. hem and onc separately then one needs a 2 year hematology training....after a 2 year Oncology alone training )

- please give your opinions and any facts... Will appreciate the response from colleagues and seniors on the forum.

thanks in advance.

Hi all,

I am fairly new to this forum. I have similar question like the one healthreform asked above.

I interviewed at Baylor, Dallas for Medical Oncology and I also interviewed at Univ of Arkansas (UAMS) for combined Hematology/Oncology. I don't mind just getting board certified in Oncology if it does not interfere with my job search in future as I need Visa as an IMG.

1. Can any one comment if doing hem/onc is advantageous over Medical Oncology in anyways?
2. From my perspective, UAMS is excellent academic center, good myeloma institute, relatively new cancer center where as Baylor is mainly private practice oriented program, brand new cancer center, and nice city Dallas. Can someone comment on Baylor vs UAMS?

Thanks a lot..Good luck with the match