Hem/Onc fellowship application thread 2010-2011!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi all,

I am fairly new to this forum. I have similar question like the one healthreform asked above.

I interviewed at Baylor, Dallas for Medical Oncology and I also interviewed at Univ of Arkansas (UAMS) for combined Hematology/Oncology. I don't mind just getting board certified in Oncology if it does not interfere with my job search in future as I need Visa as an IMG.

1. Can any one comment if doing hem/onc is advantageous over Medical Oncology in anyways?
2. From my perspective, UAMS is excellent academic center, good myeloma institute, relatively new cancer center where as Baylor is mainly private practice oriented program, brand new cancer center, and nice city Dallas. Can someone comment on Baylor vs UAMS?

Thanks a lot..Good luck with the match

UAMS is a better program than Baylor-Dallas. If you only want to go into PP, you should double board.

Members don't see this ad.

How would rate the following in terms of academic potential/research?

Cornell versus UCLA
OHSU versus Minnesota?
U Florida versus Jefferson Versus University of Virginia?

Cornell versus UCLA

I'd personally go with Cornell simply because your research options there can include MSKCC. A reasonable argument could be made in favor of UCLA though. I hate LA...a lot...so I'd go with Cornell here.

OHSU versus Minnesota?
I'm going to be a "homer" here and say OHSU. I interviewed at both and would say that if you have any desire to do solid tumor work, UMinn is not the place for you. If you want to do leukemia and transplant though, it's an awesome place. I think overall they're equivalent in terms of composite research and academic opportunities though.

Jeff>=UVA>>UF

Members don't see this ad :)
Threecoins,

I think it really depends on your research interests. So programs are stronger in basic or translational research. Some others are stronger in clinical trials or even health outcomes/epidemologic research. It should really be based on your interests. I think it would be good to look at the faculty at the various institutions and see how many faculty members have similar interests what yours may end up being and go from there.

That being said ->
I interviewed at both Cornell and UCLA, from a research point of view, I think they are both good places to any form of research. I don't think you can go wrong and should maybe base your decision on where you prefer to live. Cornell's second year is all research with some form of lab component, so if the lab is not for you, it may not be the best choice, but if it is then I would lean towards Cornell. I agree with gutonc, that the broader net of MSK and Rockefeller offers a large amount of opportunities.

Hope this helps.

INH

Cornell versus UCLA
OHSU versus Minnesota?

if you didnt interview with and send a thank you letter to the PD, I'd probably go ahead with the letter of interest to the PD. i'm not sure of the answer if you interviewed with the PD and already sent a thank you letter after the interview. i suppose it's not a bad idea. just make sure the letter is not saying the same thing twice.

What if you did send a thank you to the PD and you wanted to send a re-affirmation that you liked their program and they are one of your top choices. Basicly I would be re-stating the same thing I said in the initial thank you letter. Would this be a bad decision to repeat myself and why?

Thanks for any advice.

Thanks Gutonc and Isoniazide. How would you rate Albert Einstein-Montefiore as compared to Jefferson ?

Agree with gutonc. I would pick Jefferson over Einstein.

Hi Hemeoncbound,

I interviewed at both of these programs. I enjoyed my interview at BU. Offer MPH if that is in line with your research interest. I think the clinical training is excellent because of the variety in their patient population. Not as many opportunities in basic science but available.

MSSM is a program on the rise. Balanced in heme and onc. PD very invested in fellows career goals. Switching out of fellows clinic to a subspecialty clinic setup. Many basic science and clinical research opportunities.

Overall, I would give a slight edge to MSSM, but both offer great training.

Roughly equal overall. I'd give Jeff the clinical nod and Monte the (basic) research nod. But Jeff's in a better neighborhood.

I do not know about the Jefferson program neighbourhood but knowing the Albert Einstein and Montefiore program neighbourhood very well myself : personally I would say at least in last 1 whole year I have not heard any instances of car theft or gun shots etc... True it happens to be in Bronx but nothing that would interfere with your work and safety etc.... for living : one could consider nearby other good neighbourhoods.

Neighborhood aside, which one would you say has more research opportunties and a more " academic" reputation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any thoughts on my current rank list? My primary interest is in solid tumors and health outcomes/quality of life research.

1) Vandy
2) UChicago
3) OSU
4) Moffitt
5) UPMC
6) BIDMC
7) UColorado
8) UNC

Any thoughts on my current rank list? My primary interest is in solid tumors and health outcomes/quality of life research.

1) Vandy
2) UChicago
3) OSU
4) Moffitt
5) UPMC
6) BIDMC
7) UColorado
8) UNC

Nothing wrong with that list. I'd personally move UNC up and Moffitt down (but that's my anti-FL bias more than anything) but it looks good from here.

Please help ranking :
Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education (Rochester) Program
Ohio State University Hospital Program,

I personally like OSU better in terms of location, research strength and career development; but Mayo is a bigger name, should help with later finding a goodjob, acedemic and private practice? Any suggestions? thanks

Please help ranking :

I personally like OSU better in terms of location, research strength and career development; but Mayo is a bigger name, should help with later finding a goodjob, acedemic and private practice? Any suggestions? thanks

I will say that you can't go wrong either place. Mayo has a bigger name in the lay public but The James/Solov @ OSU is a big name in the business. So I wouldn't worry about that. Both will set you up to do whatever you want. Pick the place you'd rather spend the next 3+ years.

I would rank like this: Any rec?
Duke
UNC
Baylor Medical College
Columbia
Mount Sini

Please help ranking :

If you are interested in leukemia, OSU is a pretty good place.

Does anyone have any thoughts about UNC vs Northwestern in terms of building a foundation for an academic career in malignant heme? Likely more clinical research than basic based...

Hi Guys,
Any thoughts about University of Maryland. Will appreciate.
Regards,
Oncoguy

Any suggestions regarding the below order

Moffitt
University of Wisconsin
Med Uni of South Carolina
University of Colorado
Georgetown
UT Southwestern
Roswell Park
Jackson Memorial
Wayne State
UMass

Thanks

Does anyone have any thoughts about UNC vs Northwestern in terms of building a foundation for an academic career in malignant heme? Likely more clinical research than basic based...

Both programs are more solid tumor based than heme mal. NW probably has a slight edge reputation-wise but they're pretty equal all things considered. You'd be fine at either place.

On an unrelated note, scuttlebutt from friends (fellow and faculty) at both UNC and Duke is that the Anil Potti issue is causing a noticeable (albeit anecdotal) shift in referrals from Duke to UNC in that area. Probably not anything that will make a major difference in your training at either of those two places, but something to be aware of.

Any suggestions regarding the below order

Moffitt
University of Wisconsin
Med Uni of South Carolina
University of Colorado
Georgetown
UT Southwestern
Roswell Park
Jackson Memorial
Wayne State
UMass

Thanks

Move MUSC, GT and Jackson to the bottom of your list, leave the rest as it is and you'll be fine.

Not based on location, but on the basis of training and reputation:

Baylor College of Medicine
MUSC
UFL-Gainesville
UTennessee-Memphis

i went to Baylor too.i personally like that program but my friend told me it is malignant. You have to work like an intern. Anyone has any comments on that? Thanks.
Not based on location, but on the basis of training and reputation:

Baylor College of Medicine
MUSC
UFL-Gainesville
UTennessee-Memphis

Ok here is my rank list :

1 Johns Hopkins Hosp-MD
2 NYP Hosp-Weill Cornell Med Ctr-NY
3 UCLA Medical Center-CA
4 Oregon Health & Science Univ
5 U Minnesota Med School
6 Thomas Jefferson Univ-PA
7 U Florida COM-Shands Hosp
8 Einstein/Montefiore Med Ctr-NY
9 University of Virginia
10 U Texas Southwestern Med Sch-Dallas
11 U Rochester/Strong Mem-NY
12 U Southern california
13 Roswell Park

I would appreciate your feedback.

I think your list looks good, wouldn't make any major changes ->allowing for personal preferences. Would you mind talking about your impression of UCLA and Cornell?

1 Johns Hopkins Hosp-MD
3 UCLA Medical Center-CA
5 U Minnesota Med School
9 University of Virginia
12 U Southern california
13 Roswell Park

UCLA seems high and Roswell seems low.

1 Johns Hopkins Hosp-MD
3 UCLA Medical Center-CA
5 U Minnesota Med School
9 University of Virginia
12 U Southern california
13 Roswell Park

Is Roswell Park that bad. When I interviewed there few yrs ago it seemed a nice big comprehensive cancer center with lot of reputed names.

Roswell park is a very solid program but my sense was that its structure makes it hard to allow fellows to go into the lab. That may change now as they are combining their Hem and Onc allowing for more basic research time if that is your thing. That was my main reservataiona nd teh reason I ranked them lower. It is an NCI designated cancer center and part of NCCN.

Cornell is a very good program , second year is mandatory lab research. UCLA is large enough program to find whatever you need to do in terms of research, very frontloaded and some rumors abour first year fellows being unhappy but it is in LA and to me that is a big plus.

I would be curious as how you compare UTSW to USC to Roswell park?

Thanks. gutonc, you are always helpful.
Just remember one more thing about Mayo (Rochester) program, it is a 4 year program with required 2.5 yr clinical training. I think there have been fellows graduated after 3 year training, do not know whether they are dual board or only single board after 3 yr?
Anyone has any idea?

I will say that you can't go wrong either place. Mayo has a bigger name in the lay public but The James/Solov @ OSU is a big name in the business. So I wouldn't worry about that. Both will set you up to do whatever you want. Pick the place you'd rather spend the next 3+ years.

Any suggestion on how to rank
Mount Sinai
U Minnesota,
U Utah,
Baylor college of medicine at Houston,
if going to clincal practice, either private or academic setting?

Any Suggestions on ranking:
UCLA
NYU
U Florida,
U iowa,
aim for clinical practice in either private or academic setting?
Thanks

for those interviewed at New York Presbyterian Hospital (Columbia Campus) Program, How do you feel the clinical training?
I did not get a good feeling. Do their fellows feel they are well prepared for clinical practice after training? :)

Hey all....
Was a long interviewing process... can't believe we're at the end...

I was really impressed by a couple of places unexpectedly -- Pittsburgh, especially. Also Hopkins and Mayo were amazing.
Thinking I will ask my assistant PD to call my #1 choice...

Interested in Heme malignancy/BMT

My prelim list so far -- any comments gutonc? Pretty conflicted about 4/5/6 and that order...

1. Hopkins
2. NCI/NIH
3. Columbia
4. Cornell
5. Pitt
6. UW/Hutch
7. Mayo
8. UCSF
9. FCCC
10. UCLA
11. City of Hope
12. NWU

Last edited:
The IM chair and my previous PhD mentor agree to call/or email to my top 2 programs? Will these be helpful or harmful? :idea:

The IM chair and my previous PhD mentor agree to call/or email to my top 2 programs? Will these be helpful or harmful? :idea:

I don't know if they'd be harmful but I doubt they'd be all that helpful. If your IM chair is reasonably well known it's certainly worth a shot. If your PhD mentor is Bert Vogelstein or Irv Weissman, definitely have them give a call. Otherwise probably just weird.

My rank order list doesn't have amazing programs as most people above but I would really appreciate if you guys could help me rank them on the basis of reputation. :)

1. University Of Wisconsin.
2. North Shore- Long Island Jewish Health
3. University Of Connecticut
4. University Of Texas-San Antonio
5. Allegheny General - Western Pennsylvania Hospital
6. SUNY Downstate
7. Montefiore North Division-NYMC
8. Michigan State University

Anybody here interviewed at Iowa? What did you guys think of it? Anybody ranking them high on their list? Any feedback would be appreciated.

My rank order list doesn't have amazing programs as most people above but I would really appreciate if you guys could help me rank them on the basis of reputation. :)

1. University Of Wisconsin.
2. North Shore- Long Island Jewish Health
3. University Of Connecticut
4. University Of Texas-San Antonio
5. Allegheny General - Western Pennsylvania Hospital
6. SUNY Downstate
7. Montefiore North Division-NYMC
8. Michigan State University

No arguments with that list.

Would appreciate any input on my rank list.

Here it is right now:
1. MSKCC
2. UW-Fred Hutch
3. BIDMC
4. Michigan
5. UNC
6. Mayo Clinic
7. Pitt
8. Iowa
9. Wisconsin
10.Columbia
11.UCLA
12.Mount Sinai

I would be happy to share my impressions of these places with anyone that would be interested as well.

Awsome list! Can you please comment UCLA and Pitt?

Here it is right now:
1. MSKCC
2. UW-Fred Hutch
3. BIDMC
4. Michigan
5. UNC
6. Mayo Clinic
7. Pitt
8. Iowa
9. Wisconsin
10.Columbia
11.UCLA
12.Mount Sinai

I would be happy to share my impressions of these places with anyone that would be interested as well.

impressive list!
would you like to share why you put Mayo and UCLA so low, and put Iowa before Wisconsin and Columbia?

I interviewed at these place as well, I am thinking to list as Mayo, Wisconsin, Columbia and UCLA.

Thanks

Here it is right now:
1. MSKCC
2. UW-Fred Hutch
3. BIDMC
4. Michigan
5. UNC
6. Mayo Clinic
7. Pitt
8. Iowa
9. Wisconsin
10.Columbia
11.UCLA
12.Mount Sinai

Here it is right now:
1. MSKCC
2. UW-Fred Hutch
3. BIDMC
4. Michigan
5. UNC
6. Mayo Clinic
7. Pitt
8. Iowa
9. Wisconsin
10.Columbia
11.UCLA
12.Mount Sinai

With a list like that you are likely to match at or near the top of it. If I were in your shoes, I'd have the same top 4 or 5 programs (possibly in a different order) and be happy at any of them.

Good luck.

Please guys your comments on my list
  • University of Maryland
  • Cornell
  • NIH
  • Case Western
  • Wsu/Detroit
  • UPMC
  • Uni. Of Buffalo
  • University of Minnesota
  • VCU
  • Hershey

Please guys your comments on my list
University of Maryland
  • Cornell
  • NIH
  • Case Western
  • Wsu/Detroit
  • UPMC
  • Uni. Of Buffalo
  • University of Minnesota
  • VCU
  • Hershey

Comment 1: Your formatting was annoying so I fixed it.
Comment 2: I'm operating on the assumption that this is the order you'll be ranking them in....
I'd put UPMC above Case. If you're all up in the Heme Malignancy business, Hershey (assuming you mean Penn State) and UMinn should be higher on your list. Wayne State has a surprisingly good cancer center and should be before Case as well (but below UPMC). VCU gets good reviews but I have no personal experience or opinion on the place.

Comment 1: Your formatting was annoying so I fixed it.
Comment 2: I'm operating on the assumption that this is the order you'll be ranking them in....
I'd put UPMC above Case. If you're all up in the Heme Malignancy business, Hershey (assuming you mean Penn State) and UMinn should be higher on your list. Wayne State has a surprisingly good cancer center and should be before Case as well (but below UPMC). VCU gets good reviews but I have no personal experience or opinion on the place.

Thank you gutonc... Do you agree with University of Maryland above Cornell.
Regards