Hem/Onc fellowship application thread 2010-2011!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't have anything really negative to say about any of the programs mentioned. I think it is personal preference. This is how I teased it out:

In regards to Mayo -> great program, possibly get the best clinical heme/onc training of all the programs I interviewed at. When I was looking at the Midwest programs, I just thought Michigan was slightly better so I had to put it higher.

UCLA - first year is 11 months of inpatient and I was looking for a better balance of inpatient and outpatient. Facility is amazing and research opportunities are abundant. I am from the northeast, so great program, but not the best fit for me

Wisconsin/Iowa - super similar - just have a slight personal preference for Iowa

Columbia - am not a fan of the fellows clinic system, they go to Cornell for BMT right now. Again, just not the best fit for me.

Hope this helps. Would appreciate your input on those programs as well.

impressive list!
would you like to share why you put Mayo and UCLA so low, and put Iowa before Wisconsin and Columbia?

I interviewed at these place as well, I am thinking to list as Mayo, Wisconsin, Columbia and UCLA.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks. I agree these are all good programs, I do not feel anything negative either.
Mayo is great, but it is a 4 yr program. hopefully it is worthwhile spending one more year.
UCLA PD mentioned in my interview taht they will change curriculum, cut down inpt, to reflect the ACGME requirement, i.e. at least 10% (or 20%? ) outpatient in 1st year.
Columbia, has concern about their clinical structure as well, especially compare to orther NYC based program.
:)

I don't have anything really negative to say about any of the programs mentioned. I think it is personal preference. This is how I teased it out:

In regards to Mayo -> great program, possibly get the best clinical heme/onc training of all the programs I interviewed at. When I was looking at the Midwest programs, I just thought Michigan was slightly better so I had to put it higher.

UCLA - first year is 11 months of inpatient and I was looking for a better balance of inpatient and outpatient. Facility is amazing and research opportunities are abundant. I am from the northeast, so great program, but not the best fit for me

Wisconsin/Iowa - super similar - just have a slight personal preference for Iowa

Columbia - am not a fan of the fellows clinic system, they go to Cornell for BMT right now. Again, just not the best fit for me.

Hope this helps. Would appreciate your input on those programs as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
In regards to Mayo, I know that two of the fellows that are staying on as faculty are only doing 3 years, so it is not a hard and fast requirement.

Thanks. I agree these are all good programs, I do not feel anything negative either.
Mayo is great, but it is a 4 yr program. hopefully it is worthwhile spending one more year.
UCLA PD mentioned in my interview taht they will change curriculum, cut down inpt, to reflect the ACGME requirement, i.e. at least 10% (or 20%? ) outpatient in 1st year.
Columbia, has concern about their clinical structure as well, especially compare to orther NYC based program.
:)

My list is not as great as most people have, but I'd appreciate inputs on my rank, just by considering the merit of the programs..

Thanks...

1. UCLA
2. UPMC
3. Wayne/Detroit
4. Utah Huntsmann
5. Uni Virginia
6. Baylor, Houston
7. Tufts
8. Univ of Florida, Gainesville
9. Uni of Nebraska
10. Uni of Illinios, Chicago

Hey guys wondering if you have any thoughts on my list. I would prefer to stay in California.

1. UCLA
2. USC
3. City of Hope/Harbor-UCLA

4. Cedars-Sinai/ Olive-View
5. Scripps Green
6. UC Davis

7. UC Irvine
8. Univ of Maryland
9. Harbor-UCLA/Kaiser

I'm having trouble ranking the first 3 as a set and 4-6 as well. Any thoughts?

I am an idiot. Arrived in Bethesda and mistakenly left itinerary for NIH/NCI interview tomorrow at home. can someone who interviewed message me the starting time and instructions to Building 10? Unbelievable that the ONE time I don't have time to enter the schedule into my calendar... and why didn't they ever email it?

I am an idiot. Arrived in Bethesda and mistakenly left itinerary for NIH/NCI interview tomorrow at home. can someone who interviewed message me the starting time and instructions to Building 10? Unbelievable that the ONE time I don't have time to enter the schedule into my calendar... and why didn't they ever email it?[/QUOTE

You should come in through the visitor entrance where you will have to get out of the car and have security inspect your vehicle while you pick up a visitor badge. If your taking the metro I don't have a clue whether you need to go through security. If you are driving though you can follow the signs for the clinical research center (CRC), which is building 10. The CRC is the new portion of the building. Take the elevators up on the side of Au Bon Pain up to the 3rd floor. Make a right and walk all the way to the end of the hall and on your right will be the conference room where you will wait with the other applicants. I remember arriving earlier than I needed to. I think I was there by 800am, but it actually started around 8:30 to 8:45a.m. They provide coffee and muffins. Sorry, this is from memory as I also no longer have the paper with me. Hope this helps...good luck.

I am interested in academia. My wife would really like to go back to California, so I'm in the processes of trying to make it all work. I already know two of the programs primarily produce fellows who go out into private practice. This would not be ideal for me as I would like to pursue an academic career. Please let me know your thoughts.

1)Stanford
2)UCLA
3)NHLBI
4)NCI
5)UCLA Olive-view/Cedars
6)GWU

Last edited:
My list is not as great as most people have, but I'd appreciate inputs on my rank, just by considering the merit of the programs..

Thanks...

1. UCLA
2. UPMC
3. Wayne/Detroit
4. Utah Huntsmann
5. Uni Virginia
6. Baylor, Houston
7. Tufts
9. Uni of Nebraska

For my money, Utah is the best program on that list. And Nebraska should be higher up than than Baylor, etc.

Do people perceive a clear difference, reputation wise, research wise, and cancer care wise?

Do people perceive a clear difference, reputation wise, research wise, and cancer care wise?

I have a few friends who are fellows at UofC and interviewed both there and at NW. I personally would have chosen NW based on both my interviews and what I know from friends.

That said, I think that UofC has a better academic rep if that matters to you. Otherwise I think they're pretty equivalent overall and any clear difference would be in your own experience with the programs, not any quantifiable measure.

I have a few friends who are fellows at UofC and interviewed both there and at NW. I personally would have chosen NW based on both my interviews and what I know from friends.

That said, I think that UofC has a better academic rep if that matters to you. Otherwise I think they're pretty equivalent overall and any clear difference would be in your own experience with the programs, not any quantifiable measure.

Reputation does matter some, but my impression was that U of C seemed more polished, strong in clinical trials, and had more pieces place, and they continue to build on a strong platform. What have you heard from friends that was negative?

Additionally, based on my interview days, the NW fellows seemed...a little more directionless (made up a word there) whereas the U of C ones seemed more poised.

Lastly, I have had some voice a stronger impression of NW, but it was not based on any inside info or anything; just impression...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Guys,

Any thoughts on how to rank the following programs :

1.Baylor-Houston
2.Emory -Atlanta
3.Jefferson- Philly
4. Montefiore : Bronx, NY

I am interesed in research (more clinical) and would like to stay academic. Your inputs would be much appreciated at this crucial juncture.

Hello,
One of my friends suggested to me that I apply to the Cancer Prevention Fellowship through the NIH if I don't match at Hem Onc. Does anybody have information about this route? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I would rank them in the following order:
1. Emory
2. Jeff
3. Montefiore
4. Baylor

But very slight differences i think btw 2-4.

Hi Guys,

Any thoughts on how to rank the following programs :

1.Baylor-Houston
2.Emory -Atlanta
3.Jefferson- Philly
4. Montefiore : Bronx, NY

I am interesed in research (more clinical) and would like to stay academic. Your inputs would be much appreciated at this crucial juncture.

How would you compare the university of Virginia with Monte and Jefferson?

How would you compare the university of Virginia with Monte and Jefferson?

I'd put it between them on the same list that Ipi had. And the difference between UVa and Jeff is small. I'd personally put Monte and Baylor a little lower than the others but that's debatable.

I agree, coin flip btw UVa and Jeff. Pick the one you liked better or the place you would prefer to live in

I'd put it between them on the same list that Ipi had. And the difference between UVa and Jeff is small. I'd personally put Monte and Baylor a little lower than the others but that's debatable.

Thanks a ton Ipi and Gutonc-that really helps.
Good luck everyone for the match!

Thanks...

1. UCLA
2. UPMC
3. Wayne/Detroit
4. Utah Huntsmann
5. Uni Virginia
6. Baylor, Houston
7. Tufts
9. Uni of Nebraska

I think this list looks PRETTY DARN good....I would say keep it as is! Good luck!

I was wondering if anyone had input on BI and how it compared to UMichigan, UNC, and Mayo Clinic.

guys..
i'm wondering if anybody is planning to have a second look at certain programs. I want to speak a couple of more faculties at Sloan and Hopkins in order to get a better idea on the research, I guess it is not the same as residency interview. Anybody has done with Sloan?

I am interested in lab-based translational immunology, and intend to remain in the lab as physician-scientist. I like MD Anderson very much but have trouble ranking 2-7 (Sloan, Hopkins, Stanford, Chicago, Duke, NIH). I am looking for well-balanced training between solid/liquid tumor in more inpatient than outpatient setting. Would love to have a continuity clinic w/respectful autonomy.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

guys..
i'm wondering if anybody is planning to have a second look at certain programs. I want to speak a couple of more faculties at Sloan and Hopkins in order to get a better idea on the research, I guess it is not the same as residency interview. Anybody has done with Sloan?

I am interested in lab-based translational immunology, and intend to remain in the lab as physician-scientist. I like MD Anderson very much but have trouble ranking 2-7 (Sloan, Hopkins, Stanford, Chicago, Duke, NIH). I am looking for well-balanced training between solid/liquid tumor in more inpatient than outpatient setting. Would love to have a continuity clinic w/respectful autonomy.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

2nd looks are rare, but not completely unheard of, in fellowship interviews.

Research wise , you'll be fine any of those places. Hopkins, Stanford and Chicago perhaps a little more (in your particular area of interest) than the others but that's totally splitting hairs and somewhat debatable.

As for solid/liquid balance, MSK is solid heavy and Stanford is extremely liquid heavy. Otherwise those places are pretty evenly split. I think MDACC is a little heme heavy for my taste but there's so much going on there that it doesn't really matter.

Clinic autonomy is tough. There is essentially none at MSK. Duke and UChicago probably have the most with the others in the middle.

With a list like that, rank them by where you'd prefer to live if you can't otherwise decide.

thanks much.

2nd looks are rare, but not completely unheard of, in fellowship interviews.

Research wise , you'll be fine any of those places. Hopkins, Stanford and Chicago perhaps a little more (in your particular area of interest) than the others but that's totally splitting hairs and somewhat debatable.

As for solid/liquid balance, MSK is solid heavy and Stanford is extremely liquid heavy. Otherwise those places are pretty evenly split. I think MDACC is a little heme heavy for my taste but there's so much going on there that it doesn't really matter.

Clinic autonomy is tough. There is essentially none at MSK. Duke and UChicago probably have the most with the others in the middle.

With a list like that, rank them by where you'd prefer to live if you can't otherwise decide.

Interested in solid tumors/clinical research, academic career afterward. Trying to put these in order...Especially hard to decide where to place Duke, Stanford, Cornell among the Chicago programs.

UCLA
Stanford
U Chicago
U Wash
NW
Duke
Cornell
Moffitt
U Michigan
NIH

Went on a second look at Columbia -- exciting expansion in BMT -- starting up an allo program and potentially revolutionary therapies in the pipeline

Also going to NIH. For me probably Hopkins #1, but NIH/Columbia is a toss up.

Trying to do clinical/translational cell engineering/cell gene therapy and other cell therapy, GvL/GvHD work...

Also ranking Hutch, UCSF, Duke, Mayo, Cornell ... but ranking is in flux among these programs

Hey guys, wish you guys all the best. I don't have some of the prestigious places as above, but would sincerely appreciate your help.
I plan on doing Oncology in the future so would be okay with the two year program as well.

1. Rush University
2. Baylor-Dallas (2 yr Med Onc only) Have family in the city and highly prefer the city. What kind of disadvantage would there be if I match here over the three year combined fellowship???
3. VCU
4. Michigan State Univ
5. Wayne State Univ
6. Allegheny Western Pennsylvania Hospital

Thanks for your input!

Trying to do clinical/translational cell engineering/cell gene therapy and other cell therapy, GvL/GvHD work...

Also ranking Hutch, UCSF, Duke, Mayo, Cornell ... but ranking is in flux among these programs

Well, based on your interests, in spite of the awesome science at UCSF, you'd be insane to rank it highly. I'd probably put Hutch at the top of your "2nd tier list" with Mayo next and Cornell/Duke a toss-up.

Nice list overall.

Anyone famililar with the NYC programs and/or who has interviewed at Sinai comment on the program? Interested in academic career (likely malignant heme but not 100% sure). Really liked the place and the direction it was heading in during my interview but wanted to hear other people's thoughts (esp compared to other NYC programs). Thanks.

Anyone famililar with the NYC programs and/or who has interviewed at Sinai comment on the program? Interested in academic career (likely malignant heme but not 100% sure). Really liked the place and the direction it was heading in during my interview but wanted to hear other people's thoughts (esp compared to other NYC programs). Thanks.

i'm from NYC, and interviewed most NYC programs because I want to settle down in NYC after fellowship. Sinai have been strong in malig heme/BMT in the past, now they are trying to expand solid tumor area, recruited several people for past few yrs. got impression they really emphasize career development for fellows as well. i would definitely choose sinai over columbia, cornell - it's just complete and well rounded programs than those. NYU vs Sinai - thought BMT at NYU is quite weak (only Tisch has a unit under private attendings ) but they plant to build BMT unit at Belleve soon (in a yr?), not sure you will have good amount of experience as a fellow for now. for that reason, would choose sinai for training for now. it's just my personal impression/favorites, not related w/ reputation or ranking. faculties at both places are wonderful.

Last edited:
Did anyone interview at University of nebraska? Anyone got any feedback from the program director there? I heard he usually calls medicine program directors to talk about candidates that he is planning to rank high. I think they have three spots this year.

Speaking of NYC programs, what do you guys think of Cornell? what are the strong clinical or research areas there?. It is not NCI designated by itself but is it also jointly part of the Herbert Irving Comprehensive Cancer? I heard you can do research at MSKCC across the street. Any takers?

By now the Pds would have submitted their program's quota. Does anyone know how to look for the number of spots left for match?

@ Pillu regarding program quota

Log in to NRMP and then go to directory (opens as a pop-up in a new tab)--- select the program and it will have # of positions available for match.........Good Luck to all !!

Just here to offer my "unbiased view" since I'm training at Sinai;)

1. Academic concentration: In an average week, we have 3 hours of lectures, 1 hour of case conference, 3 hours of tumor board/grand round, one hour research conference, plus there's a disease focused group in every subspecialty once weekly, and every month there will be a nationally renowned invited speaker.. there are also plenty of conferences from basic science. Invited speaker programs every 2-3 months; the fellows will have face-face interaction with leaders in oncology.

2. Faculty:There will be at least a senior (nationally known) and a junior faculty for every disease group (except neuro-oncology). Many nationally known experts-and several more on their way to Sinai in the coming months.

3. Program director leadership: Dr. Gabrilove really focuses in developing fellow's career track. She is very responsive to fellows, and does not allow fellows to "do other people's dirty work." Very interested in fellow's education; Adriana Malone is very responsive to fellow's concerns and approachable.

4. Academics: Lot of opportunities, strong basic science group. I am working with the GU group, and I have published several papers (one original others review, 5 first author), 2 grants (didn't get them though), 2 abstracts and 2 book chapters as a second year fellow. Though they are in smaller journals, point is you have the guidance and opportunity-to become an independent investigator when you finish fellowship training. I am also involved in teaching first/second year med students, as well as medicine residents.

I think NYC has a lot to offer with excellent programs (Columbia, Cornell, NYU; i think Einstein is a step below the others): Sloan is a bit above everyone else, but I think Sinai is the most complete program otherwise. If anyone has specific questions you are welcomed to PM me.

i'm from NYC, and interviewed most NYC programs because I want to settle down in NYC after fellowship. Sinai have been strong in malig heme/BMT in the past, now they are trying to expand solid tumor area, recruited several people for past few yrs. got impression they really emphasize career development for fellows as well. i would definitely choose sinai over columbia, cornell - it's just complete and well rounded programs than those. NYU vs Sinai - thought BMT at NYU is quite weak (only Tisch has a unit under private attendings ) but they plant to build BMT unit at Belleve soon (in a yr?), not sure you will have good amount of experience as a fellow for now. for that reason, would choose sinai for training for now. it's just my personal impression/favorites, not related w/ reputation or ranking. faculties at both places are wonderful.

Last edited:
@ Pillu regarding program quota

Log in to NRMP and then go to directory (opens as a pop-up in a new tab)--- select the program and it will have # of positions available for match.........Good Luck to all !!

I got it. Thanks.

Does anyone know about Tufts heme/onc program? I really want to live in the east coast and would love to be in Boston, but how would you compare Tufts to UVa? or University of Florida, gainesville?
Thanks everyone... its time to rank..

I am interested in PP and would consider a bigger city. Have deliberated a lot before posting here. Looking for solid clinical training with wide exposure; patient care is priority. Spouse is a physician (different field), academically oriented and looking for job in the same city. Please opine about this ROL, thanks.
1. VCU
2. UTSW Dallas
3. OSU, Columbus
4. UCHSC, Denver
5. Baylor, Houston
6. IUPUI, Indianapolis
7. University of Minnesota
8. MD Anderson, Orlando, FL (Orlando Health)
9. University of Virginia, Charlottesville

Last edited:
still don't know how to rank my list :(

Hi Guys,
I am also looking for a little NYC help. I am trying to decide between Mount Sinai and Cornell. I want to do research,prefer translational research with strong bench focus. Which is better? Given all the prior post about Sinai, I would love to hear more from the Cornell end.

Hi Guys,
I am also looking for a little NYC help. I am trying to decide between Mount Sinai and Cornell. I want to do research,prefer translational research with strong bench focus. Which is better? Given all the prior post about Sinai, I would love to hear more from the Cornell end.

if that is the case, probably cornell over sinai

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and came to know of it rather late. Was curious if gutonc and the rest of you would care to tell me how these two compare in terms of their heme onc fellowships. I am interested in tumor immunology and am having a tough time ranking these two one over the other, I have reason to believe I will match at whatever I rank higher.

I dont have a preference for large cities vs small . am interested in bench research. thanks in advance and good luck in mid june to all! :luck::xf::thumbup:

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and came to know of it rather late. Was curious if gutonc and the rest of you would care to tell me how these two compare in terms of their heme onc fellowships. I am interested in tumor immunology and am having a tough time ranking these two one over the other, I have reason to believe I will match at whatever I rank higher.

I dont have a preference for large cities vs small . am interested in bench research. thanks in advance and good luck in mid june to all!

Sorry, I don't know anything about either of those programs.

Yeah rethinking and Hutch is going to be my #3 probably -- what makes you against UCSF? Mayo is very good as well, I agree.
Thanks --

Well, based on your interests, in spite of the awesome science at UCSF, you'd be insane to rank it highly. I'd probably put Hutch at the top of your "2nd tier list" with Mayo next and Cornell/Duke a toss-up.

Nice list overall.

Anybody have any plans for the post match celebration/mourning?

I'm still trying to figure it out.....