"Help Me Rank" IM 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Long story short. I'm couples matching and I'm from the NJ/NY area. I'm not sure what I want to do for fellowship, maybe GI/Cards/Hem Onc.

My pseudo-list:
1. Columbia
2. Einstein
3. RWJ
4. Northwell

5. UPMC
6. Wash U
7. U Washington
8. UVa
9. Stony Brook
10. Rochester
11. GW

My list looks like this because I want to stay local with my SO and near my family BUT I loved UPMC and Wash U a lot. How restricted will I be if I do RWJ or Northwell for a fellowship in the North east?

I'm big into academic medicine and research as well as health policy and hospital leadership.

Thoughts??

P

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

Long story short. I'm couples matching and I'm from the NJ/NY area. I'm not sure what I want to do for fellowship, maybe GI/Cards/Hem Onc.

My pseudo-list:
1. Columbia
2. Einstein
3. RWJ
4. Northwell

5. UPMC
6. Wash U
7. U Washington
8. UVa
9. Stony Brook
10. Rochester
11. GW

My list looks like this because I want to stay local with my SO and near my family BUT I loved UPMC and Wash U a lot. How restricted will I be if I do RWJ or Northwell for a fellowship in the North east?

I'm big into academic medicine and research as well as health policy and hospital leadership.

Thoughts??

P

UPMC and washu are both excellent training programs a notch below Columbia and a notch above Monte (presuming that’s what you mean by Einstein). You will limit yourself with fellowship options by choosing northwell for sure, maybe a little less so with RWJ. Those are also good places to train but some doors would be closed in my opinion. Compared to your other excellent programs (the above and including uwash, uva) RWJ and northwell are slightly limiting. Ultimately given your list I doubt you match below #2 but definitely important to have this well thought out in case you do.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
UPMC and washu are both excellent training programs a notch below Columbia and a notch above Monte (presuming that’s what you mean by Einstein). You will limit yourself with fellowship options by choosing northwell for sure, maybe a little less so with RWJ. Those are also good places to train but some doors would be closed in my opinion. Compared to your other excellent programs (the above and including uwash, uva) RWJ and northwell are slightly limiting. Ultimately given your list I doubt you match below #2 but definitely important to have this well thought out in case you do.

Your last sentence why I'm starting to think long and hard about this now because it can very well happen that I end up at #3 or 4. I wouldn't mind being at Columbia even if its hard work given my SO will be local. I just fear it's going to be hard to get in there, since I'm from a mid-tier school.

When you say limit, what do you mean exactly? Like I'll have a tough time getting a local fellowship? This is what I assume. I feel like the good fellowships in NJ/NY area are all in NYC. I'm trying to think multiple steps ahead. How much does a prestigious fellowship matter for finding a job? Do those top name places really provide superior training? Sorry lots of questions.

Unless you have a ring on your finger, I would go anywhere that give the best chances.

Ring set to come before residency, so makes this a little tricky.

Then it’s a discussion with your SO rather than us. Because it will impact them too.

It’s your career and future.....

And we have been having this discussion. I'm trying to understand what you guys know to be really significant and important in the grand scheme of things. Such as does it REALLY Matter to go to a top tier program to get into a decent fellowship. Will I be at that much of a disadvantage if I do go to a lower tier place. etc etc.

I don't want to get into residency and be like "wow, if I had only known XYZ, then that would have changed everything"

And we have been having this discussion. I'm trying to understand what you guys know to be really significant and important in the grand scheme of things. Such as does it REALLY Matter to go to a top tier program to get into a decent fellowship. Will I be at that much of a disadvantage if I do go to a lower tier place. etc etc.

I don't want to get into residency and be like "wow, if I had only known XYZ, then that would have changed everything"

Yes it matters. Pedigree and connection matter, especially when you’re applying to something competitive and want to stay in academia.

In short, yes it REALLY matters. I would position myself in the best possible situation. When your chairman is actually your future fellowship director’s attending? You bet it matters. If your PD from RWJ calling for you, and your UPMC counterpart’s PD call for them. All being equal..... your inservice exam, steps, similar application.....

Last edited:
Hi all,

My pseudo-list:
1. Columbia
2. Einstein
3. RWJ
4. Northwell

5. UPMC
6. Wash U
7. U Washington
8. UVa
9. Stony Brook
10. Rochester
11. GW

Thoughts??

P
You are doing yourself a disservice by ranking UPMC and wash u so low...they are nationally recognized...RWJ is regional and northwell??? Local at best...and not on the high end given the programs in nyc.

Only you and your SO can decide which has the greater priority, but for chances at a competitive fellowship, you need to optimize what you can...and since you are looking at the money making fellowships, you will have lots of competition from people who did residency at more prestigious places.

I think you know the answer to this...obviously brand name matters. Problem is, you cant really quantify it, so there's no way to predict what impact going to RJW/Northwell over WashU, UPMC, etc. could have...but the bottom line is, it would be more difficult to match a competitive fellowship from RJW/Northwell than the latter. Now you have to determine what is more important at this juncture..matching close to SO, or going to a program where it will be easier (to what extent, we don't know) to match a competitive fellowship. Personally, if you plan on proposing and marrying this person, I'd rank the way you are right now (certainly keep RJW where it is, tbh haven't really heard of Northwell so you may have to decide whether to keep it at 4 or drop it lower depending on its history of fellowship matches)..because you can still match those fellowships while staying close to SO..again, you will have to work harder and won't get to be picky in terms of location, but you will be happier over all so I think it'll be worth it in the end.

Please help me rank these programs for IM.

1. Western Michigan University
2. Montefiore Wakefield campus
3. St. Vincent’s, Worcester
4. St. Peter’s University, NJ
5. East Tennessee State University
6. University of central florida
7. Florida Atlantic University
8. University of Miami Miller, Palm Beach Campus
9. Staten Island University, NY

I want to go for competitive fellowship. For comparable programs, will prefer living in north east area. TIA.

Which of the two would be a better place to train and also would help me get into GI fellowship?

1. University of Connecticut
2. Albert Einstein Philadelphia

(Non US IMG needing visa)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which of the two would be a better place to train and also would help me get into GI fellowship?

1. University of Connecticut
2. Albert Einstein Philadelphia

(Non US IMG needing visa)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
UConn, their GI match was INCREDIBLE!!!!

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone!
I need help with these ranks for internal medicine residency, I'm interested in pursuing a GI fellowship and interested in the reputation of the program and having good training and a decent location, US IMG:

1) Texas Tech El Paso
2) University of California at riverside
3) Advocate Christ Medical Center/UIC
4) Marshall university
5) Staten Island university hospital
6) Beaumont hospital, Dearborn

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I am having a difficulty deciding the rank order for the programs below. I would like to ideally receive the best training I can and live in a decent location. I hope to pursue either cardiology or GI fellowship and stay in academia in the future. I would sincerely appreciate any feedback or recommendations.

1. UTMB
2. Henry Ford
3. University of Nebraska
4. Beaumont Royal Oak
5. Houston Methodist
Can someone with expertise help me with ranking these programs? I appreciate any recommendations.

Winthrop is far better than the rest
NYPQ- no preference to inhouse, they havent taken anyone in house in years for cardiology/GI and you would need to do a chief year to be even considered
NYP-methodis- similar to above but at least the chiefs have a chance
How about Winthrop vs Ubuffalo?

Hey guys, I’m totally new here but have been a lurker for so long. I would want some help with my rank list, any input is appreciated! Wanna do fellowship in GI or pulm crit, not yet decided if cardio is an option due to lifestyle.

1. UT Memphis
2. Florida Atlantic university
3. Mount Sinai Miami Beach
4. Advocate Masonic
5. Lincoln medical center
6. Memorial hospital pembrook pines
7. Mount Sinai Bronx
8. Loyola Mcneal
9. St. Elizabeth youngstown Ohio

Last edited:
I’m sorry if anyone posted this before but I was just wondering if I could hear some peoples thoughts on how I should rank these programs:
1. Cook county
2. University of oklahoma
3. Upstate SUNY
4. Ucsf Fresno
5. Aurora health
6. Siu

my end goal is cardiology and the main thing I’m trying to figure out is whether u of Oklahoma or upstate medical university would be better suited for me to meet those goals. I know that Oklahoma has meditech but their upgrading to cerner/epic and upstate has epic. My family is mainly situated in the Midwest but I have family along the east coast as well. Thanks in advance for anyone’s advice.

I’m sorry if anyone posted this before but I was just wondering if I could hear some peoples thoughts on how I should rank these programs:
1. Cook county
3. Upstate SUNY
4. Ucsf Fresno
5. Aurora health
6. Siu

my end goal is cardiology and the main thing I’m trying to figure out is whether u of Oklahoma or upstate medical university would be better suited for me to meet those goals. I know that Oklahoma has meditech but their upgrading to cerner/epic and upstate has epic. My family is mainly situated in the Midwest but I have family along the east coast as well. Thanks in advance for anyone’s advice.
I went to 3 of these. I ended up ranking SUNY>SIU>Cook. SIU higher mainly because of the loan forgiveness. But honestly, they all seem great. Did cook also have epic? I forget.

I went to 3 of these. I ended up ranking SUNY>SIU>Cook. SIU higher mainly because of the loan forgiveness. But honestly, they all seem great. Did cook also have epic? I forget.
Yes they do

Hello everyone, I'd like to say good luck to everyone in the match this season. I have just finished finalizing my rank list and had a few questions about the programs. Here is the list:
1. Rochester General Hospital, NY (categorical)
2. Northshore Med Center, MA( categorical)
3. Brookwood Baptist, AL (categorical)
4. Anne Arundel Medical Center, MD (categorical)
5. Geisinger Health Wyoming Valley, Penn (categorical)
6. United Health Services, NY (Primary care track)
7. Carle Foundation, IL (categorical)
8. Richmond University Medical Center, NY (categorical)
9. St. Mary's Hospital, CT

I would like to do cards after finishing residency and both RGH and UHS on my list have inhouse cards. My question is should I be ranking United Health services that low on my list and also given the fact that both Geisinger and Anne Arundel are newly accredited programs?

Does graduating from a newly accredited program affect your fellowship chances??

The reason I put United on #6 is because it is a primary care track and though they have inhouse cards fellowship, I though ranking a categorical program higher is better even though they are new programs (Geisinger and Anne Arundel).

Your thoughts??

Thanks and good luck!

1. Cook county
3. Upstate SUNY
4. Ucsf Fresno
5. Aurora health
6. Siu

Your top 4 order is solid, and just based off of fellowship matches your order seems pretty good to me. I think there could be a case for upstate>ok but I don’t think one is much better than the other, so if you personally liked Ok more than stick with it and go with your gut. Both solid universities, with a good reputation and that match well.

Hey everyone!
I need help with these ranks for internal medicine residency, I'm interested in pursuing a GI fellowship and interested in the reputation of the program and having good training and a decent location, US IMG:

1) Texas Tech El Paso
4) Marshall university

Can anyone please help me with these

US DO student. Interested in med-ed, heme/onc, research w/ no real location preference. Like outdoors/nature > big city. Set on U of R as #1 despite maybe having some stronger programs - really torn between 2 and 5. Any advice would be awesome!

1) U of Rochester
2) Georgetown
3) Dartmouth
4) OSU
5) CCF
6) Cincy
7) Stony Brook
8) UConn
9) UMass
10) Penn State
11) Maine Med
12) Baystate
13) Rutgers NJMS
14) Winthrop
15) Albany
16) Virginia Tech

I am deep down in anxiety right now. I have been changing my Rol, and its getting on my nerves. Was hoping experienced people from here could give some validation, and help me calm down. This is my almost final Rol:

1. Suny downstate
2. Oklahoma Uni
3. Uconn primary care
4. Rgh
5. Etsu
6. Texas health presbyterian
7. St Francis Evanston
8. Upmc Mckeesport
9. Ssm St Mary’s, St Louis
10. Northwell Staten Island
11. Geisinger wilkesbarre
12. Wright center
13. Lincoln
14. Memorial health Florida

Any inputs would be greatly appreciated, specially regarding top 3 and whether I should place SIU higher, considering they have in-house fellowships.

Hey guys panicking at the last moment. Just in terms of program reputation, please help me rank these.
1. Guthrie robert packer
2. st Agnes baltimore
3. upmc pinnacle
4. upmc mckeespot

I am deep down in anxiety right now. I have been changing my Rol, and its getting on my nerves. Was hoping experienced people from here could give some validation, and help me calm down. This is my almost final Rol:

1. Suny downstate
2. Oklahoma Uni
3. Uconn primary care
4. Rgh
5. Etsu
7. St Francis Evanston
8. Upmc Mckeesport
12. Wright center
13. Lincoln

Any inputs would be greatly appreciated, specially regarding top 3 and whether I should place SIU higher, considering they have in-house fellowships.
why did you put staten island so low?

Hey guys, I’m totally new here but have been a lurker for so long. I would want some help with my rank list, any input is appreciated! Wanna do fellowship in GI or pulm crit, not yet decided if cardio is an option due to lifestyle.

1. UT Memphis
2. Florida Atlantic university
3. Mount Sinai Miami Beach
4. Advocate Masonic
5. Lincoln medical center
6. Memorial hospital pembrook pines
7. Mount Sinai Bronx
8. Loyola Mcneal
9. St. Elizabeth youngstown Ohio
Anyone got any input? I’m really dubious between 2 and 3

Hey everyone!

1) Texas Tech El Paso
4) Marshall university

Im really confused between rank 2 and 3, any input would be helpful

Hello everyone, I'd like to say good luck to everyone in the match this season. I have just finished finalizing my rank list and had a few questions about the programs. Here is the list:
1. Rochester General Hospital, NY (categorical)
2. Northshore Med Center, MA( categorical)
3. Brookwood Baptist, AL (categorical)
4. Anne Arundel Medical Center, MD (categorical)
5. Geisinger Health Wyoming Valley, Penn (categorical)
6. United Health Services, NY (Primary care track)
7. Carle Foundation, IL (categorical)
8. Richmond University Medical Center, NY (categorical)
9. St. Mary's Hospital, CT

I would like to do cards after finishing residency and both RGH and UHS on my list have inhouse cards. My question is should I be ranking United Health services that low on my list and also given the fact that both Geisinger and Anne Arundel are newly accredited programs?

Does graduating from a newly accredited program affect your fellowship chances??

The reason I put United on #6 is because it is a primary care track and though they have inhouse cards fellowship, I though ranking a categorical program higher is better even though they are new programs (Geisinger and Anne Arundel).

Your thoughts??

Thanks and good luck!
bump anyone?

1. Suny downstate
2. Oklahoma Uni
3. Uconn primary care
4. Rgh
5. Etsu
7. St Francis Evanston
8. Upmc Mckeesport
12. Wright center
13. Lincoln

OU should be number 1

Looking to go into GI, would appreciate last minute critique.

1. University of Alabama Birmingham (absolutely loved it)
2. Tulane
3. University of Texas at Austin (young conversion of community to academic program, but they'll have their own GI fellowship projected to open in 2023)
4. FAU (have matched several classes into GI)
5. University of Tennessee - Chattanooga (have matched several residents into GI and have a GI fellowship)
6. Cleveland Clinic Florida
7. University of Miami - Holy Cross
8. UF Jacksonville
9. INOVA Fairfax
10. Mount Sinai Medical Center (Miami)

Does anyone have any idea about Ascension St. John's in Detroit vs Staten Island University Hospital. In terms of fellowship match and overall learning experience...

Jeez just realizing that I should have posted here before submitting my ROL lol. Oh well. Good luck everyone!

Hey guys what are your thoughts about these programs and the potential rank list. I am looking to specialize either in GI or Cardio
1. University of Miami/Jackson
2. UTMB
3. RUSH
4. University of Florida
5. Cleveland Clinic Florida

Thank you!

Hey guys what are your thoughts about these programs and the potential rank list. I am looking to specialize either in GI or Cardio
2. UTMB
3. RUSH
4. University of Florida

Thank you!
I would say RUSH-> UTMC-> others. All places are solid tho. Prob pick based on location. I would prob say Rush would set you up slightly better for fellowship but again, I think you should be solid at any of them.

Looking to go into GI, would appreciate last minute critique.

1. University of Alabama Birmingham (absolutely loved it)
2. Tulane
3. University of Texas at Austin (young conversion of community to academic program, but they'll have their own GI fellowship projected to open in 2023)
4. FAU (have matched several classes into GI)
5. University of Tennessee - Chattanooga (have matched several residents into GI and have a GI fellowship)
6. Cleveland Clinic Florida
7. University of Miami - Holy Cross
8. UF Jacksonville
9. INOVA Fairfax
10. Mount Sinai Medical Center (Miami)
I think thats a good order. Maybe move up U of Tennessee a spot? FAU matched 1 person GI last year but idk if that is a very academic GI place. I guess depends on what you are looking for.

Hi im intrested in Pulm/CC or GI i haven't decided yet. How should I rank these programs ( I listed them in no particular order). I have ties to PA and CA so I really want to just focus on whats best for my career.

1. Einstein philly
2. Einstein Montgomery (2nd year class said montgomery candidates would be considered internal candidate)
3. Alameda hospital oakland, CA
4. Charles Drew long beach ,CA (Would be 1st class, but love social justice mission)
5. Abington hospital in philly
6. Inspira hospital in new jersey
7. Geinsiger Wilks Barre, PA
8. Advocate christ in chicago
9. St Marys Agnes in Fresno
10. Stony brook south hampton

I was lucky enough to get IM interviews at BWH, MGH, and BID in Boston and U Penn in Philly, and my wife just got into both MIT Sloan and Wharton for business school. If we're both going off prestige alone, I feel like we're at odds, since Wharton is the most prestigious business school she got into, while BWH and MGH are the more prestigious hospitals (and personally my favorite programs). Has anyone in a dual-career couple made a decision like this before?

I was lucky enough to get IM interviews at BWH, MGH, and BID in Boston and U Penn in Philly, and my wife just got into both MIT Sloan and Wharton for business school. If we're both going off prestige alone, I feel like we're at odds, since Wharton is the most prestigious business school she got into, while BWH and MGH are the more prestigious hospitals (and personally my favorite programs). Has anyone in a dual-career couple made a decision like this before?
You're both splitting hairs here for sure.

The biggest question is, when is her intent to enroll deadline compared to Match Day?

You're both splitting hairs here for sure.

The biggest question is, when is her intent to enroll deadline compared to Match Day?

She'll be putting down deposits to both programs in February, but she's still not sure which one is her definite top choice.

Hi I know this is last year's thread but I'm interested in Sinai BI is there a reason why you wouldn't rank them ?

also directed to @whoknows2012
Too much uncertainty for me to feel comfortable ranking Sinai BI. Anyway it’s not the same program it was 10 years ago. At its peak it was one of the best community IM programs in the northeast

Too much uncertainty for me to feel comfortable ranking Sinai BI. Anyway it’s not the same program it was 10 years ago. At its peak it was one of the best community IM programs in the northeast

What is the uncertainty regarding ?

What is the uncertainty regarding ?

This was a pre-COVID thing from what I remember in 2018 when I was applying I know for a fact that they cast a wide net for interviews and the word on SDN at that time (someone correct me if I'm getting this wrong) was whether or not their main training sites would remain up and running. I don't know further details, but when I heard that I declined to hear more because it was back when virtual interviews weren't a thing and I didn't want to drop $500 to go to Manhattan for one program. Don't know anything about the leadership or what they're doing in 2020.

If you interviewed there and feel comfortable I think a lot of people would benefit in hearing what they've shared with you now and BI would benefit to because there seems to be a lack of clarity in what exactly is going on. .

Last edited:
2. UTMB
3. RUSH
4. University of Florida

Thank you!

I don't know this region well so I could be totally off but if Florida is Gainesville I'm not sure it belongs at #4 on this list.

Status
Not open for further replies.