Help me, I have no hope

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They banned Etzio!?!?!? Worst move ever. That guy was made of funny

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
First things first...stop being so defensive! I understand that many of the people responding here are being overly antagonistic and you do not deserve that. You are, however, doing nothing but fueling their fire.

That being said, I do sympathize with your situation. I know first hand what it can be like having parents/family who expect you to become nothing short of what they want you to be. This can be hard to overcome, but once done, you will truly feel liberated. Trust me.

I believe that you do truly want to be a doctor and for the right reasons as well. You do also have a shot at getting into an MD program...crazier things have happened. I am a strong believer, however, of putting oneself in the best possible situation to succeed. You are indeed correct. There DOES exist a stigma around becoming a DO. There will always be haters in this world no matter who you are and what you do. So you might as well just accept that right now.

Given your situation, there is nothing holding you back from becoming an extremely successful, skilled, and compassionate doctor other than yourself. The only difference will be the two letters which will come after your name. If you are truly doing this for YOU, and no one else, then that shouldn't matter. I know of many DO's who do just as much (and make just as much for the record) as most MD's and are held in high regard as such. Who knows? Maybe a good deal of DO's out there are earning their reputation and hence ruining it for everyone? Either way, there is always room at the top. If you become a good doctor, you will be recognized. No one is telling you not to give MD school your all. Just please open your mind a little and realize that it is not the title that makes the man...

Good luck!

First things first...stop being so defensive! I understand that many of the people responding here are being overly antagonistic and you do not deserve that. You are, however, doing nothing but fueling their fire.

That being said, I do sympathize with your situation. I know first hand what it can be like having parents/family who expect you to become nothing short of what they want you to be. This can be hard to overcome, but once done, you will truly feel liberated. Trust me.

I believe that you do truly want to be a doctor and for the right reasons as well. You do also have a shot at getting into an MD program...crazier things have happened. I am a strong believer, however, of putting oneself in the best possible situation to succeed. You are indeed correct. There DOES exist a stigma around becoming a DO. There will always be haters in this world no matter who you are and what you do. So you might as well just accept that right now.

Given your situation, there is nothing holding you back from becoming an extremely successful, skilled, and compassionate doctor other than yourself. The only difference will be the two letters which will come after your name. If you are truly doing this for YOU, and no one else, then that shouldn't matter. I know of many DO's who do just as much (and make just as much for the record) as most MD's and are held in high regard as such. Who knows? Maybe a good deal of DO's out there are earning their reputation and hence ruining it for everyone? Either way, there is always room at the top. If you become a good doctor, you will be recognized. No one is telling you not to give MD school your all. Just please open your mind a little and realize that it is not the title that makes the man...

Good luck!
dude, i'm not sure if he can read this, he is already banned:ninja:

haha just realized that. this thread = dead.

This guy is full of it. Knowing him I'm sure he'll still come back and check these threads occasionally. So here it goes...

with that GPA it is hard to get in any medical school DO or MD. You are talking about acing your MCAT do you really think acing it is that easy?

There are plenty of people in this world of 6 billion that would give their arm or leg to become a physician here in the United States.

On a financial standpoint.

There are physicians making $500 a month in some parts of this world, you think if you gave them the chance of having an American DO education and make 160k starting they wouldn't take that right away?

This guy is full of it. Knowing him I'm sure he'll still come back and check these threads occasionally. So here it goes...

with that GPA it is hard to get in any medical school DO or MD. You are talking about acing your MCAT do you really think acing it is that easy?

There are plenty of people in this world of 6 billion that would give their arm or leg to become a physician here in the United States.

On a financial standpoint.

There are physicians making $500 a month in some parts of this world, you think if you gave them the chance of having an American DO education and make 160k starting they wouldn't take that right away?

You are absolutely right. Becoming a doctor in the US is a priviledge. However, I want to do the very best to be the best premedical student, medical student, and eventual doctor even if that meansshunning 'alternatives'. I was reading his opinions about DOs and I just wanted to say that I pray I never have to consider that. I have a friend who went to UTA, got a 3.4, 27 mcat.....did not apply broadly. At that time, when she was sharing her application cycle with me, I offered her a DO suggestion and she shunned it, sdaying they are not real doctors. I think she went to do her masters. My advice to anyone facing this is to do your best as if you did not have a second chance. If I were faced with this sort of situation, I would rather go to the Caribbean. I pray this will NEVER EVER EVER....(x infinity) happen. But what will happen is that I will bust my butt in undergrad, striving for academic excellence, teaching, and clinical knowledge. Amen.

You are absolutely right. Becoming a doctor in the US is a priviledge. However, I want to do the very best to be the best premedical student, medical student, and eventual doctor even if that meansshunning 'alternatives'. I was reading his opinions about DOs and I just wanted to say that I pray I never have to consider that. I have a friend who went to UTA, got a 3.4, 27 mcat.....did not apply broadly. At that time, when she was sharing her application cycle with me, I offered her a DO suggestion and she shunned it, sdaying they are not real doctors. I think she went to do her masters. My advice to anyone facing this is to do your best as if you did not have a second chance. If I were faced with this sort of situation, I would rather go to the Caribbean. I pray this will NEVER EVER EVER....(x infinity) happen. But what will happen is that I will bust my butt in undergrad, striving for academic excellence, teaching, and clinical knowledge. Amen.
That's just simply stupid. If you're going to give up 50% of your change of being a doctor and having a chance at good residency for a couple of letters after your name, you are stupid. It's as simple as that. These same jerks that say that DOs are not real doctors will not be open arms about your Caribbean MD degree. Once these people get to clinical practice and realize that DOs CAN compete with them, they are forced to change their perception.

That's just simply stupid. If you're going to give up 50% of your change of being a doctor and having a chance at good residency for a couple of letters after your name, you are stupid. It's as simple as that. These same jerks that say that DOs are not real doctors will not be open arms about your Caribbean MD degree. Once these people get to clinical practice and realize that DOs CAN compete with them, they are forced to change their perception.

Just like OP, I was raised with the awareness that MDs are docs. DOs are doctors too, but I just feel that the MD degree is just a little more prestigious. I am very reluctant to even consider DO because there is a lot of heat about MD v. DO among doctors, especially the older generation. I really do not want this. Their philosophy is excellent, but I do not want to be put through that hell.

Just like OP, I was raised with the awareness that MDs are docs. DOs are doctors too, but I just feel that the MD degree is just a little more prestigious. I am very reluctant to even consider DO because there is a lot of heat about MD v. DO among doctors, especially the older generation. I really do not want this. Their philosophy is excellent, but I do not want to be put through that hell.
I grew up in a third world country where MD is the only degree that exists. Whenever I tell anyone in my family about DO, they think it's less prestigious too. I don't think your "I was raised that way" is a good excuse.

Maybe some older MDs have some bias against DOs. Guess what they also have? a bias against the Caribbean. You know what they also don't probably like? Young people. If you're going to gamble your (medical) life on a few stupid people, you're doing it wrong.

Evidence points, time and time again, that the DO stigma is disappearing. DO's are serving in prestigious schools around the country. They are members of board committees in MD colleges. And there is no difference in your work or money earned.

If you can get a US MD, go for it. Your life will be easier. If you can't, DO is the intelligent alternative.

I grew up in a third world country where MD is the only degree that exists. Whenever I tell anyone in my family about DO, they think it's less prestigious too. I don't think your "I was raised that way" is a good excuse.

Maybe some older MDs have some bias against DOs. Guess what they also have? a bias against the Caribbean. You know what they also don't probably like? Young people. If you're going to gamble your (medical) life on a few stupid people, you're doing it wrong.

Evidence points, time and time again, that the DO stigma is disappearing. DO's are serving in prestigious schools around the country. They are members of board committees in MD colleges. And there is no difference in your work or money earned.

If you can get a US MD, go for it. Your life will be easier. If you can't, DO is the intelligent alternative.

To be truthful, I am scared of a DO degree. I know DOs are rising. I know a couple DOs that serve as the head of many hospitals, BUT it is something I do not want to do. Those are four years you are not gonna get back. Why can't DO schools become MD schools???

To be truthful, I am scared of a DO degree. I know DOs are rising. I know a couple DOs that serve as the head of many hospitals, BUT it is something I do not want to do. Those are four years you are not gonna get back. Why can't DO schools become MD schools???
Because the AOA would effectively stop being a necessity and they'd lose all their power.

I don't know why a DO degree is scary to you. There's nothing scary about it besides whatever bias you put on it. The reality is, which you have seen yourself, that a DO can become the head of a hospital. Those 4 years you will get the same MD education, except 1 letter will change at the end.

If US MD is your goal, go for it. I'm just saying that taking a Caribbean offer over DO is disastrous, and it puts into question what are you really trying to do and are you able to adapt.

By the time you become an attending, those old docs will be retired, so who gives a baker's F&#)

Earlier on this thread someone noted that location is a bigger deal than the letters after your name. I figured I would strengthen this argument. My friend was accepted to multiple medical schools including Harvard, USC, and Western University Osteopathic. Out of these, he turned down Harvard and USC for Western, simply because of location. Price was no object. MD vs DO was no object.

There's Always Hope!

Instead of coming up with excuses about why your gpa is low, spend the time on how you can improve your situation.

My cgpa after 120 credits was 2.62. I decided I wanted to become a doctor, then did 53 credits of hardcore science, all of which I got A's.
3.12 sgpa is no where near competitive for med school, but I believe the quality of the A's that I received in some ridiculous curriculum will make a difference.

In the mean time, beef up your ECs.

Earlier on this thread someone noted that location is a bigger deal than the letters after your name. I figured I would strengthen this argument. My friend was accepted to multiple medical schools including Harvard, USC, and Western University Osteopathic. Out of these, he turned down Harvard and USC for Western, simply because of location. Price was no object. MD vs DO was no object.

Your "friend" is out of his/her mind! No disrespect to Western, but Harvard?? HA!