WAMC: SGPA 3.98, mcat 508 nurse to MD hopefully

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

he1pmd

Reaction score
Residency: Florida, strong family ties to Alabama and Virginia

Mcat: 508, 125,129,125,129

Science GPA: 3.98 Total GPA:3.83
ORM

EC: So graduate nursing school and then rounded up my post bacc credits.
Research
•500 hrs Research+ 1st poster presentation
•Another research project about 150 hrs

Artistic endeavors
•120 hrs founded a podcast called premeds in a pod

Volunteering clinical/nonclinical
•Nurse and lab volunteer at free clinic 400 hrs.
Now paid position as nurse there at 200 hrs will have 2000 by end of cycle
•Some mentoring and basic other club stuff about 500 hrs
•Covid vaccinator about 100 hrs

Internships
•Internship w scientific journal 200 hrs
•Peds intership about 120 hrs

Shadowing
•Shadowing plastic and urology about 200 hrs

Spanish
•Some hrs taking medical spanish courses while nursing abroad as well about like 100-200 hrs of that

There's another like 600 hrs of nursing work I've done as well but the ones above were my main app focus :)
LOR: wrote two very strong science letters for my profs, another strong non science letter and have a strong letter from Dr. I shadowed and my PI.

Other fun fact: been primary caretaker for mom with alzhemiers for past 9 years was big part of getting into healthcare and nursing! Major focus of my app was working in underserved areas and would love to aim to continue working in free clinic primary care in the future!

Current school list: fsu, fiu, Alabama, wake forest, Drexel, uf, um, fau, nsu, temple, rush, west Virginia!
Open to exploring DO recommendations as well

Really open to suggestions please let me know what you think about additional schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you constrained geographically? What schools are represented among the physicians at the clinics where you have worked, and how have they supported you as a nurse and as a future physician? What areas have you been working as a nurse?

Without more details, it looks like you have a decent list. If you want to go to Chicago, Rush should be on the list (very interprofessional and service-oriented) so it's a good program to have on the list. I would consider including the DO schools in Florida if you have to stay in-state.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you constrained geographically? What schools are represented among the physicians at the clinics where you have worked, and how have they supported you as a nurse and as a future physician? What areas have you been working as a nurse?

Without more details, it looks like you have a decent list. If you want to go to Chicago, Rush should be on the list (very interprofessional and service-oriented) so it's a good program to have on the list. I would consider including the DO schools in Florida if you have to stay in-state.
So I have worked peds but I'm currently working in a free clinic now. We rotate all specialties on a weekly basis so I have seen almost everything but radiology come in! I am not constrained geographically and am willing to go anywhere that wants me. I think I will be adding DO especially the ones in FL. A few of our Dr's. went to rush, UF, UM, Virginia, Duke ect and they are willing to reach out on my behalf. My Dr's. have been wonderful in this process and so helpful with reading my app and educating on patient pathology and treatment. I'm very very lucky to now be working in such a wonderful clinic with the staff and the patients we support!

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the nature of your family connections to Alabama and Virginia ? Do you have any personal connections to those states ?

Great! If you really have ties to Virginia, then I would include the big three MD schools there: Virginia, EVMS, VCU. The Virginia schools have generally been more OOS friendly, and those three MD programs will likely have interprofessional opportunities with their nursing programs (I need a refresher about how). VCU I think has a Northern Virginia satellite campus as well (I think M3/M4, but maybe M1/M2 as well???).

If you like the Appalachians, VT-C since you listed West Virginia... also add VCOM.

All the medical schools should have free clinics, so check how interprofessional they are.

wondw
Great! If you really have ties to Virginia, then I would include the big three MD schools there: Virginia, EVMS, VCU. The Virginia schools have generally been more OOS friendly, and those three MD programs will likely have interprofessional opportunities with their nursing programs (I need a refresher about how). VCU I think has a Northern Virginia satellite campus as well (I think M3/M4, but maybe M1/M2 as well???).

If you like the Appalachians, VT-C since you listed West Virginia... also add VCOM.

All the medical schools should have free clinics, so check how interprofessional they are.
Wonderful advice thank you so much!

What is the nature of your family connections to Alabama and Virginia ? Do you have any personal connections to those states ?
My father grew up in Virgina and all my aunts, uncles cousins are there. Stayed every other summer there. Mom grew up Bama so that's where all my other family is and where my other summers were. Do you think this is strong enough? Spent some really good times at both these places and really would love to be closer as the kiddos are growing up!

My father grew up in Virgina and all my aunts, uncles cousins are there. Stayed every other summer there. Mom grew up Bama so that's where all my other family is and where my other summers were. Do you think this is strong enough? Spent some really good times at both these places and really would love to be closer as the kiddos are growing up!
That is not a connection for medical school admissions. A connection for medical school admissions would be if you were a former resident of the state or attended undergraduate or graduate school in the state. I suggest these schools with your stats:
Florida State
U Florida
Central Florida
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Miami
USF Morsani
NOVA MD
Tulane
TCU
Creighton
St. Louis
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Rush
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Georgetown
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac

That is not a connection for medical school admissions. A connection for medical school admissions would be if you were a former resident of the state or attended undergraduate or graduate school in the state. I suggest these schools with your stats:
Florida State
U Florida
Central Florida
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Miami
USF Morsani
NOVA MD
Tulane
TCU
Creighton
St. Louis
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Rush
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Georgetown
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Thanks for the list and the clarification!

Florida State
U Florida
Central Florida
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Miami
USF Morsani
NOVA MD
Tulane
TCU
Creighton
St. Louis
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Rush
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Georgetown
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Would you recommend applying to DO as well?