Help deciding between schools! UMass vs NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which School

• UMass

• NYU

Results are only viewable after voting.

Abjurred

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently got off the wait list for NYU recently and I don't have long to decide!

Being a MA resident and knowing the costs of everything here, I know that my cost of attendance for UMass will probably be no more than 55k a year.

NYU on the other hand has a cost of attendance of 80k a year.

Is the difference in ranking worth the extra 25k per year? I do prefer NYU's location to UMass' but otherwise I was very impressed with both schools.

I do want to keep open the possibility of matching into a competitive residency if I choose to in the future.

Members don't see this ad.

I usually lean toward going to the so-called elite school over the cheap one, but the COA at NYU is another level of extreme. Also UMass is a great school in its own right.

Reactions: 1 user
I usually lean toward going to the so-called elite school over the cheap one, but the COA at NYU is another level of extreme. Also UMass is a great school in its own right.

I'd second this opinion

Members don't see this ad :)
Tuition is one thing for NYU, but the cost of living in NYC is outrageous. It's not just your apartment that's going to be expensive, it's your food, your travel, your gym... everything.

UMASS if you're concerned about money. NYU if you have a billionaire uncle who's willing to pay for everything.

Reactions: 2 users
You should also consider where you want to live. Do you want to be in downtown Manhattan or do you want to be outside Boston? Both are great cities in their own right but you should decide which culture you fit in at more. I think this is a huge consideration since you're going to be spending your next four years there.

The cost of attendance at NYU is pretty much the same as any other private medical school in the country so yes it is expensive, but no it is not "extreme". I also know that NYU provides students with nicely subsidized housing in an absolutely great area of NYC. Additionally, the NIH funding at UMass pales in comparison to the funding at NYU. If you want to go into a competitive specialty as you mention this is pretty relevant. Realistically you can't go wrong, but I just think the opportunities available to you at NYU are superior.