Hardest year in vet school? And summarize each year in 25 words or less.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
And, let's be honest, some of us don't care about teat surgey (or really anything) on cattle or goats.
To be fair, I'm aware that I'm that screwed up kid who likes food animals and production management, shelter med, ER and specialty services, zoo husbandry and exotics medicine... but I do lean toward repro no matter the species.

I've enjoyed working in all the fields and being the tech the doc could ask anything. I would have probably found absurd enjoyment in a pretty diverse bunch of lectures... until we get into that detailed picking apart of the Kreb cycle and all the beyond microscopic crap that I can't touch... then I start to get bored. And memorizing drugs and their classes, my brain just doesn't memorize lists. I gotta see it touch it, watch the effects, something to hook it to the tangible. That's where I'd struggle.

Members don't see this ad.

Reading this thread only serves to remind me how much I hated vet school. Every time I walk through the hospital now and see the students I just think....thank god that isn't me.

I almost dropped out my third year due to burnout/near mental breakdown. And, just as they say, it takes you 2-3x as long to recover from something like that as you spend going though it. Almost 6 years post-graduation I'm still dealing with repercussions of the stress and my poor coping mechanisms. It doesn't really matter which year is the hardest.....you need to find healthy outlets and work/life balance as early as you can. And I'm not just saying that to sound wise or pompous, I'm serious.
I just want to second WTF's wise words. A seasoned veteran. When you arrive in vet school (and as you're progressing through it), you'll find out that each of your classmates has different hang-ups. For some folks, that will be anatomy. For other folks, it will be physio. Second year at NCSU is the combo of sys path and clin path, which is hard for everyone- no matter what you're strengths are. There is just so much information that it is literally impossible to recall all of it for exams. The more I progress I vet school, the more I'm convinced that no relationship exists between a student's grades and the quality of practitioner that individual will become. The level of detail expected in vet school courses is not real life. In real life (regardless of your job role), you'll be seeing repeat cases of similar disease presentations. You'll become more and more comfortable with the clinical signs and clin path data as a result of real world experience- not brute force memorization of patterns (some of of which make no sense at all, because even the clinical pathologists have no idea why calcium goes down in that case, or phosphorus goes up in another- that's just the way it is; not all of clin path can be derived physiologically, which is maddeningly frustrating). In the real world, you look stuff up if you don't remember it- that's ok- it's expected. NO ONE can remember it all for every species. On the whole, I enjoy the learning in vet school and especially the application of concepts. I hate the tests, and am of the mind that the expectations for recall are ridiculous. Burnout is a real thing, especially with the 'threat' of internships, residencies, and job applications looming. Don't forget that when you're not in school, your busting your butt arranging practical experience during your breaks and summers- applications, interviews, essays. You get continual rejection here as well. Vet school will certainly toughen your skin, but at a price. Some of that first year shine wears off, and you're left with the reality that vet med is a JOB. It's not sunshine, and rainbows, and happiness every day for the remainder of your existence. They call jobs (whatever the role) 'work' for a reason. Sitting in class for 9 hours a day, then heading home to put in another five...every weekday for months on end wears you down, no matter how much you love the work. I was just speaking with my Mother the other day and recounted the extent that vet school tests your will and devotion. How much do you really want to do this? How bad do you want it? What are you willing to sacrifice, and for how long? I am very fortunate to have a vivid idea in my mind of where I see myself as a veterinarian. I have a very clear goal, in sharp relief, and I specifically went to vet school to fulfill it and get myself there. I know exactly what it takes. Without that vision, I'd be experiencing an even greater struggle. Before you apply and commit to vet school, be sure that you understand what the training is like (although you'll never truly know what it's like until you get here), the sacrifices you'll be required to make to get to where you want to be, and where school really fits into the picture of your eventual career. You want to alleviate the pressure as much as possible so you have sufficient energy to pursue the goal over the long haul- not just that exam in anatomy, clin path, or swine medicine next week. I'm so grateful for our SDN veterans who post on this board (WTF, DVMD, and others). You guys keep in real, and don't sugar coat it. That's my style as well, although I'm nowhere near the stage that y'all are. Thanks for your collective wisdom, and for giving students permission to say out loud- 'vet school can really suck.' Some folks don't seem to want to admit that, for fear of sounding uncommitted. That's just bull. Some of the most committed students in my class hate school at times- or all the time. It's ok to say it out loud.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
and for giving students permission to say out loud- 'vet school can really suck.' Some folks don't seem to want to admit that, for fear of sounding uncommitted. That's just bull. Some of the most committed students in my class hate school at times- or all the time. It's ok to say it out loud.
I clearly remember in first year that some people LOVED being in vet school. It was their dream. I, on the other hand, wanted to be a veterinarian and vet school was just what I had to do to get there. I didn't want to be in vet school, had never dreamed of being in vet school, and couldn't wait to be out of vet school. But I was good at it and I was committed to learning and to understanding what was being taught. Their attitudes were kind of "it's an honour just to be nominated"....being there was a goal fulfilled for them. I, on the other hand, wouldn't fulfill a goal until I got my DVM. (Actually, I'm a very non-goal-oriented person who almost never sets goals. Graduating vet school was the largest and longest goal I'd ever had - or have had since.)

It's OK to not want to be in vet school, as long as you want to learn to be a vet.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I clearly remember in first year that some people LOVED being in vet school. It was their dream. I, on the other hand, wanted to be a veterinarian and vet school was just what I had to do to get there. I didn't want to be in vet school, had never dreamed of being in vet school, and couldn't wait to be out of vet school. But I was good at it and I was committed to learning and to understanding what was being taught. Their attitudes were kind of "it's an honour just to be nominated"....being there was a goal fulfilled for them. I, on the other hand, wouldn't fulfill a goal until I got my DVM. (Actually, I'm a very non-goal-oriented person who almost never sets goals. Graduating vet school was the largest and longest goal I'd ever had - or have had since.)

It's OK to not want to be in vet school, as long as you want to learn to be a vet.

I also take it with a huge grain of salt when someone who hasn't been through vet school talks about how much they enjoy learning everything.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 users
Frankly, vet school in general is bull****. And I don't say that to be cynical or jaded or because I hate it. I've actually really enjoyed being in vet school for the most part. But I've enjoyed it because I set boundaries. I had to decided beforehand that even though it was my dream, vet school could never be the most important thing in my life. Vet school will try to take your life, your time, and your physical and mental health if you let it. Don't let it. Do what you need to do to accomplish your career goals and stop there. Vet school is a means to an end, and that end is having a fulfilling career that allows you to live a reasonable life. Vet school is not your god and it's not your religion, and you shouldn't sacrifice yourself to it.

Most people who fail don't fail because it's too hard or they're too lazy. They fail because they can't find a way to be living human beings and vet students at the same time. If you're about to start, start working on taking care of yourself right now, because it's never too early.

Oh, and I'll go ahead and agree that second year is the hardest. But third year is when you'll be most "over it."

Reactions: 15 users
SO WHO'S EXCITED FOR VET SCHOOOOOL!?!?!? :clap: :highfive:

Really, thanks all of you for replying. Goes to show we're not alone with these feelings.

Reactions: 9 users
Reading this thread only serves to remind me how much I hated vet school. Every time I walk through the hospital now and see the students I just think....thank god that isn't me.

I almost dropped out my third year due to burnout/near mental breakdown. And, just as they say, it takes you 2-3x as long to recover from something like that as you spend going though it. Almost 6 years post-graduation I'm still dealing with repercussions of the stress and my poor coping mechanisms. It doesn't really matter which year is the hardest.....you need to find healthy outlets and work/life balance as early as you can. And I'm not just saying that to sound wise or pompous, I'm serious.

What were you unhealthy coping habits? What do you wish you did differently?

Heh. I bet you most of the people who proclaim to LOOOVE vet school are doing so just for appearances.

There is this sort of unspoken culture in vet schools that if you don't MOTHER FECKING LOVE EVERYHTING ABOUT VET MED OMG than you don't deserve to be there, you're lazy/ungrateful, or something is wrong with you.

Of course, the problem is most if not all people are actually pretty stressed and unhappy, but they'll never let it show because of this culture. If everyone just admitted it to each other, I feel like there would be a much healthier response towards people who have more hurdles than other people. But it's all about being afraid to show weakness. We aren't that much different from the animals we treat ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
What were you unhealthy coping habits? What do you wish you did differently?

Without going into too much detail, chronic substance abuse as a way to deal with the stress (which, by the way, if there are any of you out there with issues in this area, my inbox is always open and I would be happy to lend a supportive ear).

I wish I had been humble enough to admit it was a problem and seek help for it earlier. It would have saved me a lot of mental and physical trouble. There is always an underlying feeling of competition in vet school, and if you develop a "problem" you feel like you are the weak one. So you hide it and hide it and push yourself more and more until it explodes in your face.

Heh. I bet you most of the people who proclaim to LOOOVE vet school are doing so just for appearances.

There is this sort of unspoken culture in vet schools that if you don't MOTHER FECKING LOVE EVERYHTING ABOUT VET MED OMG than you don't deserve to be there, you're lazy/ungrateful, or something is wrong with you.

Of course, the problem is most if not all people are actually pretty stressed and unhappy, but they'll never let it show because of this culture. If everyone just admitted it to each other, I feel like there would be a much healthier response towards people who have more hurdles than other people. But it's all about being afraid to show weakness. We aren't that much different from the animals we treat ;)
THIS. All of it. Every word is true. I'm not one of those folks who 'keeps up appearances.' When people ask me my opinion about vet school, I tell them- straight up, the good and the bad. Unfortunately, I've found that's not such a common response to inquiry, for the reasons WTF listed above. Very frustrating, and hurtful to those students who are struggling. A culture shift within vet med would do the profession at a large a world of good.

Reactions: 1 user
THIS. All of it. Every word is true. I'm not one of those folks who 'keeps up appearances.' When people ask me my opinion about vet school, I tell them- straight up, the good and the bad. Unfortunately, I've found that's not such a common response to inquiry, for the reasons WTF listed above. Very frustrating, and hurtful to those students who are struggling. A culture shift within vet med would do the profession at a large a world of good.

Yep. Sort of like military culture and response to PTSD (although of course, PTSD is on a whole 'nother level...but you get what I'm saying).

At least we haven't had much of that here lately. A few years ago we constantly had flare ups of people attacking vet students who weren't happy go lucky and rainbows and sunshine about everything vet shool

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm grateful that the culture here at Tennessee encourages students to seek help and not bury their stress if they're overwhelmed. It took a graduate committing suicide only a couple years after getting out to really make the school get serious about it, but the social work office here does a great job now. The nature of the profession is such that we're the people who others come to for answers, so we don't like to admit when we have our own problems. But we do, whether we like it or not.

I'm grateful that the culture here at Tennessee encourages students to seek help and not bury their stress if they're overwhelmed. It took a graduate committing suicide only a couple years after getting out to really make the school get serious about it, but the social work office here does a great job now. The nature of the profession is such that we're the people who others come to for answers, so we don't like to admit when we have our own problems. But we do, whether we like it or not.
That was really sad. Took me by complete surprise

That was really sad. Took me by complete surprise

Yeah, they told us all about it first year; it was hard to hear. Dr. Strand has really taken it upon herself to ensure that his "sacrifice," as it were, is not completely in vain by really hammering home good mental health practices for new students, which I think should really be a necessity in any veterinary curriculum.

Yeah, they told us all about it first year; it was hard to hear. Dr. Strand has really taken it upon herself to ensure that his "sacrifice," as it were, is not completely in vain by really hammering home good mental health practices for new students, which I think should really be a necessity in any veterinary curriculum.
She was always pretty serious about it. I'm glad that there is more in place now.

I'm really grateful that you do take the time out of your day to come and post here about what life as a vet student and vet in practice is actually like. I feel like I'm going in better prepared with much more reasonable expectations because of it, and I'm sure I'm not the only pre-vet here who has benefited in such a way.

I wholeheartedly second this. Thank you all for your honesty.

The silver lining is, however, that you are lucky enough to be doing what you really want to do, and you can make it work. You aren't going to spend those entire 4 years 100% miserable and hating life. I (and other people here who have said similar things) don't mean to crush people's confidence or their excitement to be in veterinary school. I am so indescribably happy that I went to vet school because, if nothing else, it allowed me to do what I am doing today even if I didn't like being *in* it. I had a lot of great experiences and met a lot of fantastic people.

Hell, even the bad times I went through? I am incredibly thankful, in retrospect, that they happened. Without them I don't think I could have become what I am today. I wouldn't be able to help people who are going through similar things.

It's just when I think back on the day-to-day slog that I'm so grateful to be DONE. And I know there were lots of times I *did* feel miserable, and that feeling is totally normal and OK and doesn't make anyone a lesser student, person, or vet.

Something a smart businessman told me once was that you really need to sit down and think about what makes you happy - the deep, deep raw happiness in your soul. And sometimes, it isn't related at all to vet school or medicine or anything. For me, the thing that makes me happy at my core is helping and inspiring people, which is why I want to go into academia and become a professor. It isn't being the "best" vet or the "best" in my specialty or winning XYZ award or publishing 123 papers. I don't give a crap anymore about winning some poster award. It's when I have a student come up to me and thank me for being a mentor to them - that is what motivates me. That's what makes me feel like a fawkin' superstar. Because let's be honest, the feelings you get from acing that test, or getting into that school....that isn't real happiness, and you can't base your satisfaction in life off of those things or you WILL be miserable. And unfortunately, vet school is a LOT of those materialistic "happiness" goals so you need to keep a very clear picture in your head of what you want to achieve.

Another thing said smart businessman told me was that goals are for losers. Don't make goals. Make COMMITTMENTS. You need goals to get you through the day, the the goal to pass an exam or the goal to work out or the goal to just wake up in the morning....but what drives you deep down inside are you committments, because those are actionable things based on your values and what you want for yourself in life. If all you focus on are these "goals" you lose your overarching view of who YOU want to be, and you start judging yourself by very simplistic measures (and become very miserable and stressed).

Now I'm going to watch silly Youtube videos because this is way too philosophical for a Sunday night. Whew.

Last edited:
Reactions: 17 users
At least we haven't had much of that here lately. A few years ago we constantly had flare ups of people attacking vet students who weren't happy go lucky and rainbows and sunshine about everything vet shool

I remember that. And it was coupled with those same people even telling those of us who had graduated that we were essentially full of **** when we tried to give them advice. Good riddance.

I dunno what y'all are talking about.

I loved every last second of vet school. My school had unicorns around every corner and rainbows over every doorway and on the first day of each semester we each got a new puppy waiting for us in our lecture hall seat.

Reactions: 8 users

I loved every last second of vet school. My school had unicorns around every corner and rainbows over every doorway and on the first day of each semester we each got a new puppy waiting for us in our lecture hall seat.

But were there any dragons?

I love clin path. I think it was specifically developed so I can scan for red numbers and then say "yup, sure looks like pancreatitis."

I have to do a report on a case from presentation through necropsy explaining every little detail. If the patient doesn't have blood work, like mine, I have to make up what the blood work would have looked like based on what was reported on necropsy. My patient had lymphoma, the blood work could seriously do anything.

So you do want to help???? :heckyeah:

What's in it for me.

show-me-the-money.gif

You know, when (when :xf: ) I get my faculty job next year I'm gonna have to severely curtail my indecency here.

Well, maybe.

I still can't adult properly.

God help the next generation I craft. o_O

Reactions: 6 users
There is a proper way to adult? Who'd want to do that????? :bored:

Losers, that's who.

(though on a serious note for the prevets....when I was in my early 20s, I though people who were 30+ must be super awesome adults who had everything figured out, especially my residents and profs. Now that I'm 31 and in their position.....jeebus on a crutch, I am not nearly as mature and organized as I thought I would be at this age....heh)

Losers, that's who.

(though on a serious note for the prevets....when I was in my early 20s, I though people who were 30+ must be super awesome adults who had everything figured out, especially my residents and profs. Now that I'm 31 and in their position.....jeebus on a crutch, I am not nearly as mature and organized as I thought I would be at this age....heh)

Yeah, I used to think that adults had everything all figured out and knew what was going on. Now I just realize that everyone is kind of flying by the seat of their pants and simply going through the motions.

Losers, that's who.

I'm still not adulting very well. But somehow I own a clinic? Ffs, I play video games in my free time...

Also organization is not my strong suit.

Losers, that's who.

Oh **** are you seriously only 31!?

Lol. This thread really has been making me happy to see.

I'm also gunna add that those coping skills you'll develop to survive vet school will never stop helping you. I had a mentor laugh (politely) in my face when I said vet school must be the hard part. Now I know exactly why she did.

I made it through vet school mostly unscathed because I did have my outside life together, but now I'm having to find new and inventive ways to cope with "having it all".

FYI, career+loans+spouse+house+kids+oops I ended up with post partum depression even though it was never going to happen to me=why the f*** did I make these decisions?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Oh gawd 100+ puppies in one room would be such a ****ing nightmare. It's bad enough when I have like a litter of 5 and I need to have a technician dedicated to cleaning up pee/poo so they're not stepping all over it.

If that's your idea of rainbows and unicorns, more power to ya.