Pregnancy and children in Vet School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nannarnaluk

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, my spouse and I (same-sex couple) have been working on our family planning. Due to our ages and our family's ages, we are really hoping to have our first child within the next few years. I am hoping some people can share their experience having infants in vet school and/or carrying a pregnancy through vet school. Opinions are welcome! Would love to know what you think the best year would be to aim for, tips, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I am personally waiting until after I graduate due to:
1 - Insurance (school insurance isn’t very good).
2 - No maternity leave. Missing multiple exams/rotations isn’t an option for me. Clinics schedules can be unpredictable.
3 - My spouse is the only one currently bringing in an income and children are EXPENSIVE. Due to this he cannot also be doing most of the child rearing at this time as well.
4 - I cannot imagine having an infant disturbing my sleep/study schedule while trying to maintain my grades and resume.
5 - I want to own a home and be settled first.

So, I'm not a parent & nowhere near becoming one, but I've observed things & talked to friends with kiddos in health sciences careers. My best friend had both her kiddos before starting med school (her youngest was 1 when she started), mostly because she & her husband are on the older side (he's in his late 40s) and she wanted to make sure her kids were all out of diapers before she started clinics third year. This seems to be a pretty popular decision, to either do it before starting school or wait til after. I do have multiple classmates, both men & women, who had their kids right before starting school, and they seem to be managing okay. You're going to have to be VERY diligent in managing your time as effectively as you possibly can if you're going to have infants or toddlers during school. There's a popular Youtube creator (Mama Doctor Jones) who became pregnant near the end of her clinical rotations & gave birth right before starting residency, and while she depended a ton on family & her spouse, she was able to make it through.

I haven't met anyone who actually got pregnant & gave birth during early vet school, but going from my own experience with having major health problems during my second semester, you'll need to investigate what the policies are for each school regarding making up material. I became seriously ill & required intense treatment from February to November 2022 during my first year at tOSU. Any other year, I could have withdrawn entirely from spring semester & restarted the following spring. But because of tOSU's curriculum change and makeup policies, I had to entirely restart my first year remotely (and pay for the entire thing all over again :dead:). OSU's policy is also that any makeup materials will need to be completed by the first day of the following semester - no problem if I'd needed to make up spring items over the entire summer, but making everything up over winter break (3 weeks) was pretty hard. The good news is that you have a little more control over your family planning than the average cishet couple, but it still may take more time than you might anticipate. Individual school policies will be important to take into account as to timing. Any and all physical accommodations for either safety or ability will likely not be a problem - I was able to easily get accommodations for all of my class sessions that required physical activities that I couldn't safely do with implanted medical devices, and we have multiple students who are in wheelchairs that are making it through the curriculum with the help of their friends or group mates or lab assistants.

Not sure how helpful any of this is, but best of luck with your growing family!!! Love to see more queer folk getting into vet med!

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, my spouse and I (same-sex couple) have been working on our family planning. Due to our ages and our family's ages, we are really hoping to have our first child within the next few years. I am hoping some people can share their experience having infants in vet school and/or carrying a pregnancy through vet school. Opinions are welcome! Would love to know what you think the best year would be to aim for, tips, etc.
i know several people who had children in vet school. they seemed to avoid 1st year because you're getting adjusted to the massive change that is vet school, and you're also exposed to a ridiculous amount of formalin during anatomy lab that you probably shouldn't be exposing a fetus to. and 4th year is harder because the scheduling is a challenge. so it's possible! just hard.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I had 2 classmates who had children during vet school. One during 3rd year and one during 4th year. The one who gave birth during 4th year still graduated, but had to finish out some rotations after graduation because of the time she'd been off for having the kiddo. It's possible, just very challenging.

One of my female classmates had a baby in the middle of Feb during 3rd year. Never missed a beat. She might have had to make up some exams (idk the details of what she worked out with academic affairs), but she graduated on time with us with no issues. Our schools 3rd year is the lightest academically though, so very school dependent there.

Several of the guys' spouses had babies too during vet school but I'm less impressed by them haha. One had one during 1st year and one during 3rd year. They definitely made it work in terms of having kids and infants at home though. (One of them had 4 kids!) Their spouses did most of the child care responsibilities while school was in session.

There's never a convenient time to have kids imo so just have them whenever and prioritize your life accordingly. Vet school is basically a full time job - 40-50 hours a week of class + studying was was my norm.

You also get a ton of time off throughout the year (winter break + spring break + summer break combined is A LOT of time off compared to an actual job). If you have the ability to control timing to some extent, a summer baby during a break would probably be the easiest just because you'll be off of school from May - August. (School dependent though- some schools go year round, etc).

4th year would probably not be fun/can be brutal sometimes depending on where you go to school or your track, so plan for that. My track was pretty chill because I spent half the year doing public health rotations (M-F 9-5 basically). Our school's small animal trackers had a much worse schedule. If your partner carries the baby it will just not be an enjoyable experience for anyone probably. If you give birth during 4th year you'll probably graduate late.

In terms of missing class for doctors appointments / medical reasons. Meh. I had two surgeries during vet school (1st and 4th year) and had a ton of physical therapy appointments. In my class, the total number of surgeries was at least six - 2 foot/ankle surgeries, 1 knee surgery, and 3 heart surgeries. One of my classmates also legit got hit by a car the day before an exam... our class was reeeal special with medically excused absences. You might have to make up some stuff, but it's very possible to stay on track with course requirements despite needing time off for medical stuff.

Caveat that you should definitely check your school's policies, though. My school was pretty permissive. From comments above, it sounds like tOSU is not that permissive (at least in a specific year). Will probably vary widely from school to school.

Also you need to know yourself to some extent. If you're the type that's gonna be all-consumed, at school and in the library studying like 12 hours a day every day, that's very different than if you're more like me doing 25 hours a week at school and then otherwise just vibing at home.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Hi there I had a 6-month-old going into first year and had my second child during 4th year. I was originally attempting to have the second child at the start of 3rd year rotations with the plan to start rotations a semester late but that didn't work out. I'm also a same-sex couple. feel free to PM me to discuss further.

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
One of my female classmates had a baby in the middle of Feb during 3rd year. Never missed a beat. She might have had to make up some exams (idk the details of what she worked out with academic affairs), but she graduated on time with us with no issues. Our schools 3rd year is the lightest academically though, so very school dependent there.

Several of the guys' spouses had babies too during vet school but I'm less impressed by them haha. One had one during 1st year and one during 3rd year. They definitely made it work in terms of having kids and infants at home though. (One of them had 4 kids!) Their spouses did most of the child care responsibilities while school was in session.

There's never a convenient time to have kids imo so just have them whenever and prioritize your life accordingly. Vet school is basically a full time job - 40-50 hours a week of class + studying was was my norm.

You also get a ton of time off throughout the year (winter break + spring break + summer break combined is A LOT of time off compared to an actual job). If you have the ability to control timing to some extent, a summer baby during a break would probably be the easiest just because you'll be off of school from May - August. (School dependent though- some schools go year round, etc).

4th year would probably not be fun/can be brutal sometimes depending on where you go to school or your track, so plan for that. My track was pretty chill because I spent half the year doing public health rotations (M-F 9-5 basically). Our school's small animal trackers had a much worse schedule. If your partner carries the baby it will just not be an enjoyable experience for anyone probably. If you give birth during 4th year you'll probably graduate late.

In terms of missing class for doctors appointments / medical reasons. Meh. I had two surgeries during vet school (1st and 4th year) and had a ton of physical therapy appointments. In my class, the total number of surgeries was at least six - 2 foot/ankle surgeries, 1 knee surgery, and 3 heart surgeries. One of my classmates also legit got hit by a car the day before an exam... our class was reeeal special with medically excused absences. You might have to make up some stuff, but it's very possible to stay on track with course requirements despite needing time off for medical stuff.

Caveat that you should definitely check your school's policies, though. My school was pretty permissive. From comments above, it sounds like tOSU is not that permissive (at least in a specific year). Will probably vary widely from school to school.

Also you need to know yourself to some extent. If you're the type that's gonna be all-consumed, at school and in the library studying like 12 hours a day every day, that's very different than if you're more like me doing 25 hours a week at school and then otherwise just vibing at home.
Thanks so much! I have read the school's student handbook which does not make it sound permissive at all, I am hoping to get a better idea when the semester starts. I am more of a relaxed student in that I am not an extreme studier, but I recognize that could change in vet school. I would be carrying as my partner is not interested in that aspect of life, haha. We were also thinking of attempting for an early summer baby between 1st and 2nd or 2nd and 3rd year, but we recognize that could easily go out the window if things don't go smoothly with conceiving.
Hi there I had a 6-month-old going into first year and had my second child during 4th year. I was originally attempting to have the second child at the start of 3rd year rotations with the plan to start rotations a semester late but that didn't work out. I'm also a same-sex couple. feel free to PM me to discuss further.
Thank you so much, I will definitely reach out!

Reading these responses makes me feel like this is possible. I am starting vet school this fall with a 6 month old and have been a bit stressed about the situation considering i'm also moving to another country. Definitely not my ideal situation, but I am a non traditional student and this will probably be my last chance to have a child. I will be a single parent, but plan to hire a full time nanny. If anyone has any more pointers, it would be greatly appreciated

• Care
If you have significant help, I think it’s doable (full time nanny, stay at home spouse, PLUS family to help watch kiddos). Without, I think you would be screwed. Even full time daycare would be hard.

The tough thing is you won’t really know until
Baby comes how easy/hard that baby is going to be. It is so out of your control. Is this going to be a NICU baby? Is this a C-section recovery? Will you have post partum depression? Will this baby sleep like crap or have significant heath issues?

Vet school with kids is going to be more about survival than anything else. Moms are incredible creatures who will find a way to get by… but I think it will be a matter of “getting by” rather than thriving.

Vet school is hard. Being a mom of a super young child is hard. It’s almost impossible to be thriving at both simultaneously. I guess it’s a matter of whether or not you’re ok with that.

I started vet school with a 3 and 1.5 year old. My wife had them during my first and last quarters after I'd transfered in undergrad. There was a lot of tagging out once I came home to give my wife a break. Once dinner, baths, and bed time was done I'd study from about 9pm-1230am. Rinse and repeat. It was exhausting at times, but I needed the pressure to stay focused.

My memory is getting fuzzy now, as it's been a few years, but I had a classmate give birth during 4th year. She meticulously planned her rotations to have some holiday vacation time and vacation blocks so she had 9-10 weeks off before easing back in with a primary care off campus rotation.

There was another woman in the year above me who had a NICU baby during second year. She ended up doing like 2 years part time and joined back up with my class. The school really worked with her I think (obviously not being aware of anything personally).

It can be done. Support was the key thing for a lot of us that had children.

• Care
One of my classmates gave birth right at the end of 3rd year, and managed to get through all of her fourth year rotations on time and graduate with us. However, my school doesn't start the mandatory fourth year rotations until September so she had a few months to recover and get adjusted to the newborn lifestyle. Her partner was also a stay-at-home dad during her rotations.

One of my other classmates had 2 children during school, but it was not him giving birth or being pregnant. He made it through and was just quite tired. Another guy had 4 kids coming in I think. He ended up needing to repeat a year but I have no idea if pressure from home was involved in that or not.

Reactions: 1 user
I had my kids 5yrs after graduating vet school; one of my male classmates had a 4ish year old. A close friend of mine had twins during third year.

Since I had two at once my disclaimer is that my experience isn’t the most common scenario. But in general with kids, a lot comes down to finances and support. Parenthood is so much harder than non-parents can truly imagine. The logistics, the emotions, the unpredictability of everything, the TIME. If you have a partner and solid support system and strong finances, I still wouldn’t really recommend during school. I don’t know your age or financial situation or whatever but even with all of those pieces as perfect as possible is going to add another layer entirely of “this is really freaking hard” to an experience that is already really freaking hard (vet school). It can be done but if you have the choice, I wouldn’t recommend it.