Happy Veteran's Day

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
N

NAVY DDS 2010

For those of you who are in or have served in the armed services, Happy Veteran's Day!!!! Thank you for your service! For those of you who have yet to serve who are in a health profession program on the HPSP scholarship or are in the HSCP program, thank you for considering serving your country and making sacrifices.

Happy Veteran's Day!

Members don't see this ad.

Doesn't mean much, coming from you.

I'm an two-time combat veteran, and just the other day you were calling me disgruntled. Now, you play the card that you understand all the sacrifices.

No, you don't get to say those words.

:laugh: I think disgruntled sums up your attitude perfectly.

Members don't see this ad :)
:laugh: I think disgruntled sums up your attitude perfectly.

Yup. But, but it doesn't mean he doesn't have the right to celebrate the day since he is a vet. A person who serves his/her country honorably I wish them a Happy Veteran's Day - even you Wladziu. You did serve it honorably as far as we know. It still doesn't mean you aren't disgruntled which you definitely come across as here. Being a Vet and being disgruntled have not relation to each other thus can be commented upon in different manners and still show respect to a person in one sense and mock the person in the other.

Anyways, I hope you did have a Happy Vet's Day Wladziu and everyone else who has served.

Bah, some vets like to bitch and moan about how rough they had it and how their country let them down...disgraceful. Then they get in a pissing match about who served in higher prestige. You served for a reason. To serve this country. I'm not suggesting this was either one of you.

I gave a bum on the street a couple bucks the other day. I'm not going to bring it up every time someone calls me selfish.

Take the honor that Veteran's day bestows upon every veteran. You deserve it.

Bah, some vets like to bitch and moan about how rough they had it and how their country let them down...disgraceful. Then they get in a pissing match about who served in higher prestige. You served for a reason. To serve this country. I'm not suggesting this was either one of you.

I gave a bum on the street a couple bucks the other day. I'm not going to bring it up every time someone calls me selfish.

Take the honor that Veteran's day bestows upon every veteran. You deserve it.

You will never catch me claiming I served in higher prestige than someone else because, well, I didn't. What I did wasn't glorious. I stood made sure our sailors got the medical treatment they needed whether it was ont he ship or in foreig ports and I stood a bunch of watched during flight operations when we were bombing the hell out of Afghanistan and Iraq. I never had to worry about getting my butt shot off. I had some creature comforts (what little we have on a ship) that couldn't be had by the ground pounders. Does that mean my two deployments during OEF and OIF are any less important - No. All services, including the Coasties have their roles that enable us to enjoy our freedoms, including the ones that allow us to bitch and moan about what we want and freedoms to give our opinions. Without every job from the sailor who cleans the deck to the Seargent who leads his Marines on operations to the General who leads all troops, no job is unimportant. I proudly serve my country without publically bitching and moaning about how life can suck at times. Yes, it can suck at times. If you look at the negatives about the military all the time, you will develop a poor attitude about it and can only complain about how life stinks in the military. But even with the bad things, there are always the good which I choose to look at about military life. This enables me to continually enjoy the military and look forward to the days after dental school where I have to make sacrifices again - no matter much those days suck. I bleed red, white and blue.

I respect Wladziu in the fact that he served our country honorably. He has the right to bitch and moan about his life in the miltiary. But then again, I don't have to respect his opinions just as he doesn't have to respect mine. When a person gives up a part of their life to fight for this country - whether they complain of not - and serves it honorably, I respect them (not necessarily what they have to complain about).

As far as bithcing about life in the military and complaining about how their country let them down, actually some people have legitimate claims there. Some people have come back with debilitating injuries and psychological issues that once they are released, they are forgotten. Do these people not have legit complaints that the country let them down? No. they do have legit reasons. Although we are in a different time than what the Vietnam vets had to deal with, the crap that our soldiers returning from Iraq and Afghanistan have to deal with still exist. They made plenty of sacrifices and don't deserve the crap they have to deal with just to receive treatment.

As far as bithcing about life in the military and complaining about how their country let them down, actually some people have legitimate claims there. Some people have come back with debilitating injuries and psychological issues that once they are released, they are forgotten. Do these people not have legit complaints that the country let them down? No. they do have legit reasons. Although we are in a different time than what the Vietnam vets had to deal with, the crap that our soldiers returning from Iraq and Afghanistan have to deal with still exist. They made plenty of sacrifices and don't deserve the crap they have to deal with just to receive treatment.

Right on the money.
Now you've earned my respect.

Thought for a while there that you were like the kids above. I respect your service, though, and don't take my words otherwise. It's still a little early for me. Kinda hard to be "happy, happy, happy". I'm not really sure how exactly I'm supposed to react when people say it, especially knowing there are kids like above just waiting in the wings to criticize anything at all that you do say. But, maybe I should just keep my mouth shut, you know cause I haven't really earned it or anything.
But, I'm sure I'm the only one. I'm sure there aren't vets out there that are now alcoholics or homeless or addicted to drugs. I'm sure they're just disgruntled, if there are. It's just a personality flaw, like vanity or talking about things that you don't have a clue about. I'm sure the causes are perfectly translatable to giving a few bucks to a bum; not worth repeating. There's one day out of the year when people are supposed to fully recognize such things, and I love how it's used.

Thought for a while there that you were like the kids above. I respect your service, though, and don't take my words otherwise. It's still a little early for me. Kinda hard to be "happy, happy, happy". I'm not really sure how exactly I'm supposed to react when people say it, especially knowing there are kids like above just waiting in the wings to criticize anything at all that you do say. But, maybe I should just keep my mouth shut, you know cause I haven't really earned it or anything.
But, I'm sure I'm the only one. I'm sure there aren't vets out there that are now alcoholics or homeless or addicted to drugs. I'm sure they're just disgruntled, if there are. It's just a personality flaw, like vanity or talking about things that you don't have a clue about. I'm sure the causes are perfectly translatable to giving a few bucks to a bum; not worth repeating. There's one day out of the year when people are supposed to fully recognize such things, and I love how it's used.

Finally something you have said that inspires me to be a better soldier!

As far as your other posts
I don't think your points are well taken, because most times you come off as angry at people who haven't gone through or understand what you have done.

Everyone who serves will have a point in their career where sacrifice is inevitable. Just because an individual is in the infancy of their career, or pondering whether or not to make a career of the military, does not make them any less a soldier once they join.

I am stationed at West Point. Everyday I see cadets go through what can only be described as a grueling and challenging collegiate experience. (Puts my dental school education to shame) Upon graduation they have not served a day in the Regular Army, but they have made more sacrifices then I will make in my 4 year tour, even if I deploy as PROFIS.

Some people don't even serve their country, but have made sacrifices by the loss of family members, friends, and neighbors.

Let us not forget that everyone in the Armed services is there of their on fruition. If someone was not well enough informed and joined unknowingly, then is the fault really on the recruiter or the Army?