30 days of vacation earned each year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

C10H15N

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How true is this statement? Is it pretty easy to actually use those 30 days during the year as a Navy dentist?

Members don't see this ad.

How true is this statement? Is it pretty easy to actually use those 30 days during the year as a Navy dentist?
You accrue 2.5 days of leave per month. I've never been denied a leave request. Something to keep in mind is that you have to use leave to cover weekends/holidays you are away, even though you wouldn't have been working anyways. This can burn up quite a bit of leave. I went home one Christmas using 7 days of leave, but only missed 2 days I would have normally worked.

Big Hoss

Last edited:
You accrue 2.5 days of leave per month. I've never been denied a leave request. Something to keep in mind is that you have to use leave to cover weekends you are away, even though you wouldn't have been working anyways. This can burn up quite a bit of leave. I went home one Christmas using 7 days of leave, but only missed 2 days I would have normally worked.

Big Hoss
Do you typically not get this holiday off?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hoss is absolutely correct.

There is a difference between liberty and leave. If you want to take a week off and stay home, you just put in a chit for mon-fri. But if for some reason you need to come into the weekend, you will be required to come in.

If you are leaving the area, you need to request leave for those days starting from when you're flying/driving out. So your 5 days of leave burned just turned into 9 days. This is all about accountability.

Don't worry, it's tough to go in the hole with leave days. You will accrue them and be just fine. I had over 100 days at some points.

There is a difference between liberty and leave. If you want to take a week off and stay home, you just put in a chit for mon-fri. But if for some reason you need to come into the weekend, you will be required to come in.

If you are leaving the area, you need to request leave for those days starting from when you're flying/driving out. So your 5 days of leave burned just turned into 9 days. This is all about accountability.

Don't worry, it's tough to go in the hole with leave days. You will accrue them and be just fine. I had over 100 days at some points.

could you elaborate on that? 30 days of paid leave a year, but how did you go about accruing 100 days in a year?

Your command lets you take mon-fri off without counting the weekends before and after?

Your command lets you take mon-fri off without counting the weekends before and after?
Every command has a leave and liberty policy. I have taken mon-fri leave plenty of times, but only when i wasnt leaving the area. If the command were to recall me, I can come in. If I left the area, I included the weekends in my chit. I've done this at more than one command.

It can get complicated. Say you leave the area and your chit expired on a friday, but you get hurt on Saturday or Sunday at the address on your leave request. You can get into A LOT of trouble. Not worth it.

Reactions: 1 users
C10H15N though? Really?? You couldn't have at least gone with something a little more innocent like C8H10N4O2?

Reactions: 1 user