H1b

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j802002

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the best way for a Canadian to get an H1B to do a residency in the US. I'm planning on graduating, taking a year to do my MPH and then going into residency (most likely internal medicine in New York State) Does anyone have insight into the best advice/easiest way to get an H1B visa following this plan? I just do not want a J1.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

you should search specifically for programs that sponsor H1-B. There are some out there but you have to look hard for them. Also, talking to an immigration lawyer may help you with the process (usually takes 3 months)

it might sound easy, to apply to all H1-B programs for residency (which I did)...but unfortunately....you have to think of a few other things..

1. the specialty: IM and FP have more H1-B sponsoring programs that any other residency.
2.cost:hungover:o you really want to apply to all programs (100+ depending on the specialty)
3.time: there are many lists available about which programs sponsor H1-B's, but would you really trust them? The best way is to research this yourself (yes, call/email all the programs)
4.Hope for an interview from one of these programs.
5.Re-consider taking the J-1.

good luck,

A.