UK MBBS, US Anesthesia Residency, H1B visa, looking to move to Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bius

Reaction score
Hello,

I am a non-North American citizen on a H1B visa looking to move to Canada for work as an anesthesiologist. Anyone have any experience in doing so? Can someone elude to the process? Does anyone have any experience with using recruitment services like CanAm Physician Recruitment and Head Medical?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

The main issue will be: getting the provincial license. For a full license, most will require MCCQEs and RCPSC certification. Nobody's excited about those. Without a full license, you would need to get a restricted license, for which you'd need an employer who is willing to supervise you for a period of time.

And the real question: what is the point of moving to Canada, jumping through another set of obstacles, when you are already an attending in the US.

So certification with both the Medical Council of Canada AND Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons are required for a full license? Not one or the other? It seems a bit confusing since some job description only mentions one (eg RCPS) and not the other. If an individual only needed to chose one though, which one??

Members don't see this ad :)
So certification with both the Medical Council of Canada AND Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons are required for a full license? Not one or the other? It seems a bit confusing since some job description only mentions one (eg RCPS) and not the other. If an individual only needed to chose one though, which one??
There are provinces that will take USMLEs in lieu of MCC certification (i.e. Nova Scotia). You can call each of the colleges and ask or you can actually apply for evaluation, it costs 600 CAD (+verification cost) and you will get an official response from the respective provincial college whether you qualify for a full license or not. I don't have MCCs (have RCPSC, though), I applied and was told that I qualify for a full license.

Hey Schmutz. Thank you for the information. Maybe I'll start with RCPSC applications and examinations then.